Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Plutonis posted:

It's also cool because it has this thing of having more chapters being about politicking, building alliances and meeting people from the various countries to form coalitions than the Warring itself.

You've sold me.

Davincie posted:

its gonna go to poo poo after 8 eps like arslan

Thing with Arslan is that it just got moderately dull instead of offensively bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Isn't that worse than being Offensively Bad? I mean, a show being awful and people making GBS threads on it is basically a career as a "Professional YouTuber" nowadays. When a show is loving dull, they're usually not worth mentioning.

I'd disagree, if it was offensively bad I'd actively stop watching it. If it's moderately dull I'll just not put on the next episode and kinda move on.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Motto posted:

What if a show was both offensively bad and dull?

Then it'd be Sagrada Reset.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Webcormac McCarthy posted:

Oh my god I'm late to the party but I've just finished Kimi no Na wa and it is one of the best anime movies I've ever seen. The reveals, the evolving story, the emotional impacts and my god that art and soundtrack. What a fucken ride.

Now go watch Koe no Katachi.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Fangz posted:

Ugh. They could at least base the narrative around being able to Google everything or something.

Even bloody No Game No Life did that better by giving them a smartphone but since they have no internet, they can't google. But since they're obsessive in terms of winning everything, they've downloaded a whole bunch of trivia so they can win at quizzes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It's Haoliners so you know it's going to be a terrific trainwreck.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Homura and Sickle posted:

gently caress kakegurui is licensed by loving netflix? so have to wait for fansubs i guess. gently caress netflix is just the worst at this

raws are out for turbo-weebs and other japanese speakers though

Apparently they're streaming it weekly though, starting tomorrow. A day late is shite for simulcasts though. I never thought this would be the case, but I really miss Crunchyroll's monopoly. They used to pick up nearly everything and it'll all be done on time with decent subs. Now its the wild west, especially if you're not American.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Is the Umineko Anime any good? I've been meaning to read through ProfessorProf's LP of the game.

There's exactly one scene worth watching in the anime, when you finish Chapter 2 be sure to look it up.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

darkgray posted:

Er, the visuals for this new fall TV anime look like some kind of April Fool's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrKzNx2uy2c

Is this what happens when Netflix money gets involved?

That actually looks gorgeous.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

If Crunchyroll doesn't pick up New Game S2 they'll have literally no shows I'm interested in this season. Last season I watched 9. :saddowns:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Is that the really cool sounding historical one?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

is the castlevania show worth watching at all

maybe

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

So it seems Amazon give UK Prime users two random anime each season, and we got Ballroom and Altair this time. I hope we get Princess Principal as well, but it's doubtful. Shame, really wanted to see Koi to Uso, but Altair seems good enough.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Newest Kakegurui is off the loving hook, by the way.

Kakegurui is superb, and I can't wait until we get to a certain arc that I hope gets the same level of treatment as the Kanon arc from God Only Knows.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Princess Principal does right everything Joker Game did wrong. It's brilliant. Checking out Altair and Abyss next, if those are as good as people say this is a strong rear end season.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Well there's also the "even talking about this is illegal" sort of thought policing which spooks me a little.

Yeah, it feels much more like The Lives of Others than MonMusu. I'm kinda digging the weirdly oppressive vibe.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Has there been anything better than Konosuba (Comedy) / Re:Zero (Drama/Horror) adapted to anime from the Isekai novel boom?

Yeah, Log Horizon and Grimgar were great and to be fair, SAO has some great music.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I guess tanya the evil was isekai technically, and it owned

oh gently caress yeah, Tanya was a brilliant show.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Davincie posted:

if you have not seen rakugo for some reason, the directors cut of the first episode that adds half an hour of extra content has now be subbed, so start with that

Is it of S1 E1 or S2 E1? Because S1 E1 was already an hour long!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

gently caress yeah

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The Colonel posted:

can't wait for today's premiere of Gamers! the new show about Gamers!

let's all watch Gamers! together, my fellow Gamers!

I watched Gamers. It was funny.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Oh, same author? That explains a lot.

El Burbo posted:

Playing counter strike with a controller

Freaking dropped

I doubt they're playing CS on the controller, that looked much more like standard CoD. He was playing CS on the computer.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 13, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I watched smartphone and it was ok. Blandest protagonist ever, bland setting, bland everything. But I'm going to keep watching it because it isn't bad. It's like flavourless crisps, but you enjoy how crunchy it is and so you keep eating it anyway.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

dogsicle posted:

not posting like this

I thought it was a good post and we should have more like it

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

depends who you're expecting it with

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Pootybutt posted:

Kakegurui is gonna need some gambling stakes I can follow and care about beyond "Yumeko knows everything and immediately wins" to keep my interest, cuz it doesn't have much besides that to reccomended it. Hella stylish, tho.

Have you seen episode 3?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

The fact that they brought up the special challenge makes it feel like she aimed to deliberately lose so as to expend that one free challenge to the President.

Nah, she didn't want to lose on purpose, that'd be entirely against the point of putting it all on the line and seeing who comes out ahead. She aimed to win. But now she can make an even harder gamble to get ahead.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I disagree, it's funny and good and the references are there to ground the show, not as jokes themselves. If you didn't laugh when he was poo poo at a fighting game, you have no soul.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Welcome to the Ballroom, ballpit to the left.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Grouchio posted:

I would've preferred a second season of Nichijou.

but nichijou wasn't even that good

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Honestly, Smartphone is my favourite bad anime this season. It never ceases to crack me up how exactly it sticks to the tropes, except unlike Konosuba there is no punchline. It's the greatest comedy played totally straight.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

As someone who loved the original but could not muster up any excitement whatsoever when I saw the new pitch/designs (as well as the fact that it wasn't a sequel to the OVA), what was wrong with it?

so tylor is now 12 and always carries a banjo

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

If you aren't watching Made in Abyss, Princess Principal, Tsuredure Children and haven't given Guru Guru a shot, you're doing this season wrong. Especially the first two, contenders for best of the year so far.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

1 is great
2: doesn't look that appealing to me
3 is fantastic
4 I dropped about halfway through the first episode.

Yeah, Guru Guru was totally not my pace but it's definitely something that should be looked at by everyone here. It's a love it or hate it kinda deal, but I strongly implore that you watch the first two episodes of Princess Principal if you have any interest at all in spy fiction.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Wark Say posted:

It's been discussed in the chat thread before (I'm probably partially to blame, since I watched a bunch of his videos during the 2 months I spent between jobs) and yeah, general consensus is that the dude's a giant douche-drinker.

Ah, this saves me the pains of watching or further reading about it, thanks! I'm guessing it was something among the lines of "Hey, (Patreon or Whatever) works for me! Maybe the anime studios could do the same?"

His stance is more sensible than just patreon, he'd like if there was an option to donate directly to the relevant studios instead of giving more money to the production committees behind it all so that more money reaches the talent. This coupled with the inconvenience of Netflix as they don't simulcast, amazon prime as they usually have fairly frequent delays plus double paywall and low visibility and blurays being much more inconvenient than searching online.

Digibro has weird stances on a whole bunch of stuff, and he often poorly explains himself, but at least his ideas and analysis is interesting, and probably the best thing he does is promote a discourse by frequently kicking the hornets nest like this.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Fair enough. If you change your mind, though, the Canipa Effect is probably the best of the bunch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjiMuBusCRE

Nah, Canipa's good but Super Eyepatch Wolf is the true best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Knight's and Magic's hyper competent MC is kinda making it boring.

At least his competence is in semi-interesting ways because we get horse mech and he's hyper enthusiastic about it and it's kinda infectious. It's a very cheery show. Smartphone on the other hand has an aggressively dumb OP protag.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 17, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Also god dammit me why'd i come on here, that's spoilers for even the manga, too.

poo poo.

sorry :(

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

gwrtheyrn posted:

I like how he refuses to say the site name and immediately shows a screen with the site url

I thought he changed every instance of it to huganimu, which is not the proper name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Davincie posted:

i dont understand this sentence

Geoff Thew of the youtube channel "Mothers Basement" estimates that those behind the popular illegal anime streaming site "Gene Simmons & Friends Anime" make a large amount of money on a daily basis from ad revenue. I for one do not doubt this since they have a shitton of highly intrusive ads on there and they have a very high volume of traffic.

K. Flaps posted:

Anyone who thinks they need crap like this needs to be banned.

I dunno, I think it's cool that he highlights good shows and makes a case for them to be watched by people who may have passed them up because one is "GAMERS, the show for GAMERS" and the other is a 12 minute anime. At least it's better poo poo that most other anime youtube people.

• Locked thread