Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
So, I started watching Knight's & Magic[sic], and I've got to ask, is there something wrong with the main character?
He has literally no personality outside of loving mechs and being loving awesome at magicprogramming. He has no connection to anyone else and it doesn't seem like he responds to other characters. What makes it all the more strange is that the supporting cast seems to have some sort of personality and have meaningful conversations with one another while he just works out some other genius plan after another.
I'm only on episode 3, but I'm getting the feeling that this is probably going to continue for the entire series.

Also, LOL at a 12 year-old not only fighting toe-to-toe with a supposed country destroying monster, but beat it easily while all the adults got their asses summarily handed to them. Were this later in the series, I might accept it, but it was only episode 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I decided to try the Gal show, I mean, Galko was great and surprisingly thoughtful right? Gals are probably pretty interesting right?

I was so wrong.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
The worst part of the 2 episodes I saw had to be the fat friend and the "little sister". I mean, they weren't even trying to make fun of that creepy guy having a penchant for minors and the not-really-a-sister had tits bigger than the 2 gals. I mean, MC aside, his friends are literally the worst. They aren't even somewhat endearing like the dudes in Prison School. Maybe that changes, but I do not think I really want to find out.

And on the topic of treating women like people, are you all saying this strategy guide to hookups I read in (what is essentially) playboy doesn't work on real people? Impossible!

In happier news, I also started the Abyss show and it's got really good animation and a sense of wonder about that I'm interested in following.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

nielsm posted:

Natto spaghetti as an idea very well illustrates how hosed up the Japanese "western food" dining concept is.

The reasoning is spelled out in the first episode, "Western Food" just means anything that wasn't originally Japanese. That and "as long as there's good food, everything's all right :cool:". That said, at least in-universe they explain that no one but that weirdo elf eats natto.

On the ep, I still love how dragon girl refuses to speak with her mouth. She's probably going to give the chef a heart attack one of these meal services.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nothing associated with jaden smith is ever good.

The Get Down was pretty good...

The anime style reminds me of Totally Spies, especially the shading style. That said, woof, that voice acting. I mean, people say voice acting is super easy but these people were loving mumbling. And the names attached to this product! Law, Sarandon, what made you think this was a worthwhile endeavor!? Couldn't they have asked for help from actual, trained voice actors?

And what is the MCs name? Kaz Khan? Kaz-kun? ENUNCIATE!

re: Code Lyoko and that crop of ameri-anime:
I remember fondly watching Lyoko but I also remember how stiff the animation was and how big those drat foreheads were. Man, the 00s were a weird time

e2: And the old anime expressions of nosebleeds and sweatdrops! It's really weird to see that now since current anime styles that use that seem to be less "dramatic" in its presentation

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 8, 2017

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Uhhhhh...........

Look, why won't hollywood adaptations of anime look at the success stories instead of the failures?

Failures: DBZ:Evolution, Avatar, Death Note
Successes: Inception, Edge of Tomorrow

Stop making direct adaptations

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Aurora posted:

What is Inception based on?

Jackard posted:

Yea, not seeing anything like that on its description..?

Sorry, yeah I meant Paprika. Not an adaptation, but definitely inspired by

There Bias Two posted:

Does Avatar count as anime?

I think we can all agree that the answer is a resounding yes.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwFpAyEuph8
Wait...is Country of Jewels(Houseki no Kuni) getting an actual anime adaptation!?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Allarion posted:

Yes. Its official localized title is Land of the Lustrous, so easy to miss if you're used to its other names.

I do kinda wish it was more like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HBVq6wpLLw, but the CG probably is effective for other things too.

Thanks for the title correction!

And though I too wish it was more like the original trailer, the CG looks quite good. The trailer movements seem more fluid than most and the expressions look quite nice. I guess CG will make Cinnabar's liquid attacks easier to animate(among other things)?
Still, can't wait to see this show get a proper animation! I stopped reading a while ago, around the time "winter" arrived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Of all the Isekai shows this season, only one actually was any good. And of course it's the one where people from the other world come to ours to eat food

Caphi posted:

I've been start and stop on The Reflection. It's interesting, but all the other shows, like... actively make me want to watch them more somehow, so every so often I come back to watch an episode or two.

Does the animation ever get less choppy? Or does the style really have to grow on you?

• Locked thread