Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Xaris posted:

For those that are interested, some games I just checked

Hyper Light Drifter - (e: was on frontpage, waiting for update)

Showed up briefly as 50% off (£7.49) for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

What is the best game out there that requires zero manual dexterity? For reference, Darkest Dungeon and XCOM 2 are both extremely my poo poo, and I adored the Beginners Guide and Gone Home

E: gently caress The Witness in advance though

Invisible Inc.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Actually the cards work for the SP score attack mode too, though I doubt many people play that.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Ganson posted:

I really like Survival/Crash Landed games with stories. Wish I could find something else as good as Subnautica :-/

The Long Dark is getting a story mode August 1st and is also a really good survival game IMO. Also it's currently 60% off.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

Goon opinions on the following?

Tales off Maj'Eyal $2.37
Dungeonsmans $7.49
Wazhack $2.99
Ziggurat $3.74
Zombie Army Trilogy $8.99
Windward $2.49
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons $1.49
Rack N' Ruin $0.99
Stories: Path of Destinies $3.74
Reigns $1.49
Furi $11.88
Domina $4.99

I'd agree that you should play the free version of ToME first and that Brothers is great but needs a controller - and preferably you should beat it in a single session, it only takes a few hours.

Windward was far too shallow for me, Reigns is a good phone game but it really feels like a phone game and is best played in short, 5-10 minute sessions IMO. Also, a lot of the choices in Reigns are just about balancing the four meters and don't really change anything, only a few choices actually impact the future of your kingdom. It's more of a weird puzzle/story game than actual kingdom management.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 26, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Too Shy Guy posted:

Man, I am a huge Fallout fan from the very first one all the way through New Vegas, and at no point have I given even the slightest poo poo about Fallout 4. It feels so entirely unnecessary, like if I really want to rummage through more irradiated 1950s garbage I already have plenty of games I can do that in already. I'm so disappointed we haven't moved past the wasteland horrors despite being 4+ games and hundreds of years past the apocalypse. Or at the very least they could have done more games in the Fallout 1 era but in different locations or something.

Is it just me? Am I the only person who doesn't want to keep buying Fallout 3 but with base building or whatever?

I'll probably play 4 eventually but yeah, I'd love to see Fallout's systems in a new location - another country or some Enslaved-esque overgrown ruins maybe. I still think the perks and skills system is one of the most fun ways to handle levelling up, but I'm done with deserts pretty much forever.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

DontMindMe posted:

I went through some hidden gems threads/posts and came out with the following list of stuff, coming to $68.01

Anyone familiar with any of these that can talk me out of any of them?

Wuppo
Gateways
Tetrobot and Co
The Floor is Jelly

These are all good IMO, the only negatives I can think of are Gateways' puzzles get extremely complex by the end and The Floor is Jelly is really short and has a couple of frustrating moments near the end. I'd still recommend them all if you're interested though.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Maybe Dust: An Elysian Tail? It's a 2D sidescroller with really good, challenging combat, RPG elements, exploration and great animation. Currently 80% off too.

I guess Cowcaster beat me because I was checking if it was on sale. Warning that the story and voice acting are pretty bad though.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 29, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

For me the complete pack is cheaper than the base game, so check that. Having said that, none of the DLC is actually worth it, so if that's not the case for you just get the base game IMO.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Hand of Fate: Absolutely buy this. Another Arkham style combat with a fantastic card system and an even better narrator than Darkest Dungeon. Do absolutely get this gem of a game.

Lots of people like this so I'm probably objectively wrong but I found the combat to be extremely mediocre and lacking in punch, and the rest of game too shallow to back it up - there was no sense of adventure or strategy, just lots of random chance to succeed or fail options and the occasional shop. I really liked the idea but the execution didn't draw me in at all.

The narrator is pretty great though.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I saw some discussion about ARPGs earlier in this thread, so: a long time ago I played Torchlight and had a lot of fun just setting the difficulty to maximum and slowly killing my way to the bottom of the dungeon while finding nice loot. Are there any other ARPGs with this style? The only other ones I tried since were Diablo 3 and Path of the Exile but they both made you slog through really easy difficulties for too long to hold my interest.

If you're OK with going older instead of newer, the FATE games were the precursors to Torchlight and play very similarly. Victor Vran is a little different - more actiony, seperate areas instead of one big dungeon - but it might be fast paced enough to hold your interest.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 1, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Steam Wallet is usually 24 hours too, I did one a couple of days ago. The terms state up to a week though.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Mystic Stylez posted:

I know this is highly subjective, but recommend me games with awesome soundtracks. I don't care which genre or category, as long as the game itself is at least decent.

Some random examples: Fallout 1/2, Deus Ex, Hotline Miami 1/2, Brigador, Shatter, Bastion, VVVVVV, STALKER series.

Rayman Legends
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Frozen Synapse
The Binding of Isaac
Super Meat Boy
Bayonetta
Most of the Final Fantasy games.
Mirror's Edge

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

a page of posts about awesome soundtracks and not one mention of shovel knight what the gently caress

I am extremely ashamed

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Can I just thank everyone who hyped up (heh) Hyper Light Drifter because it is really, really good and probably the best 2d action game I've played in a long, long time. The combat feels so good.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Pony Island is short as well, Crypt of the Necrodancer and arguably Super Meat Boy are more suited for short bursts and are probably best played alongside something else. Talos Principle is amazing but you probably want to leave that until you're ready to play through something big.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

Princess Remedy in a Heap of Trouble ($2.09)

Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt is free, short, and will give you a good idea if you want to pay for more (the answer is probably yes)

I've heard Heart&Slash is a neat idea that isn't executed that well, but I haven't tried it myself.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

kater posted:

I've got a cart to cull.

Please help convince me I don't need none of this poo poo. I need to get it down to at least $60-80 to feel reasonable. My tastes are kind of all over the place if that isn't obvious.

I might be too late, but I'm going to go against popular opinion and say don't get Divinity: Original Sin if you're trying to be choosy. I really wanted to like it, and the combat system is excellent, but everything apart from the combat is not very good and overall it failed to interest me. Unless you're buying it solely for the combat, wait until it's cheaper.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Chargrilled Face posted:

I think people getting their enjoyment from the sale itself rather than from the games they're going to buy is how 90% of people here have ended up with 500+ games in their backlog that they know they're never going to play. Buying some game that barely interests you / you already own on another platform because it's $1.99 was the "fun" part, playing it never came into the equation. Steam backlogs are weird.

Bundles are a pretty big reason for backlogs too. Before I started gifting away anything I didn't plan on playing I got a bunch of crap in my library just from bundles.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I got:

Hyper Light Drifter
Sunless Sea
Transformers: Devestation
Antichamber
Endless Legend: Shifters and Tempest

I also bought and refunded Hand of Fate and got a few gifts for people, and was gifted Stardew Valley. All told a really good sale for me. Hyper Light Drifter is my favourite but they're all fun, and different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Other 1 player coop games: Brothers, Ice Climbers, The Swapper

• Locked thread