Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Reality Winner posted:

No way is there a real online store called Gamergate
Correct, there isn't.
But there is one called Gamer's Gate which has been around for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So.... Clandestine is on sale for 5 bucks.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/290530
Has anyone played this a bunch? Is it as fun as the concept makes it seem?

Same question for Seraph which is now $2.60.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/425670

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 23, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Samuringa posted:

Seraph is a very repetitive game with lacklusters upgrades(Things like "1% More Attack" or "2% Chance of Critical Hits"), shooting that's mostly garbage(Aside from a pretty good shotgun but it's hard to screw up a shotgun) and a story that goes nowhere - literally, as when you beat the last boss you get to make a choice and no matter what you choose it just skips to the credits. The dev said the story wasn't the main draw of the game so he doesn't care about it.. So if you do get invested into the logs, angels & demons and whatever is up with the protag, too bad. Skip it.
Huh, that reminds me of some other game that a ton of people loved but then when they got near the end the game just abruptly stopped and that pissed off everyone who played it. And no, it was some indie metroidvania, not Metal Gear Solid V.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

you could be talking about dark matter but I -think- you're talking about Valdis Story which initially only ended with a comic ABOUT the final boss instead of an actual final boss. that game is as overrated as you claim yeah
I was talking about Dark Matter (which is on sale for 2 bucks, so if you think 2 hours of gameplay is worth 2 bucks, heyooo.) I actually enjoyed Valdis Story (currently under 4 bucks and worth it if you ask me) though I was under the assumption they were actually going to finish it, since I played it back when it only had 2 of the 4 characters implemented. I got pretty far until other games took my interest away.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

According to the Steam forums, Valdis Story's final boss is now in the game along with a ton of other stuff they always meant to add... so I guess the game actually did get finished. *bumps that up the backlog a bit*

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I'm the last person to ask for recommendations and typically the first to give them... but I've been known to have a blind spot or two so I'm gonna ask this thread and see what ya'll come up with. For science.

I'm looking for a game with a really tight dungeon crawling loop similar to what end-game Diablo 3 is right now, but distilled into its purest form. Essentially, a dungeon crawler that isn't a rogue-like or rogue-lite, which is what most of them seem to be nowadays. I want RNG loot, properly feeling more powerful and turning once-difficult enemies into trash mobs through just a couple levels or loot upgrades. It's very likely that I'm looking for an indie title that flew under the radar, since I typically am the radar. Also, if the game lasted more than a few hours, that'd be nice. Plot not necessary, though some kind of variety to the combat and enemies is a plus. First person, third person, top down, I don't care, it's the loop I'm looking for. Surprise me!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Awesome! posted:

diablo 3 is throwing me off here because i wouldnt really call that dungeon crawling. do you actually want an arpg type thing?
It has the loop. You go into a dungeon, you kill things, you get RNG loot, you use the RNG loot to get better. Like, even the trash on the floor can be melted down into useful components needed to make your not-trash loot better. It's an extremely tight loop and it works great. The fact that it's an ARPG doesn't necessarily have to do with the request. I'll take action, turn based, or whatever else there is; the important factor is you go out, kill things for loot, and use the loot to make it so you can go out and kill more things for more loot. In Diablo 3, those dungeons are the rifts and greater rifts, with greater rift levels being the thing you climb to feel more powerful.

Unless you're getting caught on the "crawling" pat of "dungeon crawling" which I never actually felt was supposed to dictate the literal speed of your traversal through a dungeon. I always interpreted it more in the sense that you are constantly exploring and discovering the entirety of a dungeon, crawling over it, to find every nook and cranny for as much loot as possible. Anyway, I'm agnostic to how quickly the actual dungeon traversal is. Crawling, running, doesn't matter if the loop feels good and tight. That's all!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

FTL, player unknown, binding of issac all kind of scratch that itch for me. I'd love to hear what other people come up with

Try battle brothers maybe?
Yep, beaten FTL and BoI... no idea why you'd put PUBG in there though lol. My friend recently gifted me Battle Brothers and I played it for a bit but didn't grab me very tightly.
That said, I did mention in my original post "that isn't a rogue-like or rogue-lite" so, close, but not quite.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I put pubg in there because my loving friends like looting more than shooting
Hahaha I'm sure they're starving for chicken.

Bedlam posted:

I went ahead and bit down on a GMG loot box with the coupon they emailed me. I kept toybox racing, here are the others if anyone wants them; please post if you grabbed one.

I took world ship simulator because that poo poo looks hilarious.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 24, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

Well that was a fun sale, got a lot of stuff.

How'd everyone else do?
I thought it would include the full day of July 5th as a part of the sale so my cart of 5 games went unbought and I got 1 game, Clandestine, for 5 bucks. Oh well!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

If, for some reason, you were like me and forgot to hit the buy button on your Steam cart before the Summer Sale ended (seriously, if you say it ends on July 5th, you should INCLUDE the day, not end it when the day STARTS) Hollow Knight and Convoy are both the cheapest they've ever been over on the Humble store.

Yes this is a cross-post from the Steam thread. Sorry.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Awesome! posted:

palpek is slacking on killing this thread
Summer Sales aren't over, thread doesn't need killing!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Downs Duck posted:

Never stops to amaze me how you can be in the game business and still gently caress up like this. Bethesda for sure, but other companies as well. Makes me wonder if the game business is a special case and is so much worse than other businesses are, of actually having a clue on what to do right. Or maybe that producing and selling games is such a hard business to succeed in that you are bound to fail so much? Even if you're supposed to be a professional company at it.

Just seems to me that you have a lot of clear cut gently caress-ups that really shouldn't be if you're a game company knowing what you are producing and selling. It seems so many people in executive positions simply don't.
From what I understand as a person who is sorta on the periphery of the industry (it's a long story) the biggest problem is that marketing and PR (at large companies) are typically business departments that merely pretend to understand what it is video game hobbyists actually want but probably actually understand what mainstream video game buyers want. They rely on focus groups, owned IP, and science to pump out media that is supposed to guarantee sales to the broadest market possible which, oddly, doesn't include you or me. It's entirely possible that they purposely showed off an underwhelming Doom because they knew reviewers were going to be caught off guard which would boost their scores due to (a thing I've talked about somewhere else before) expectation-based reviewing.

In other words, what you and I consider bad marketing may have actually been better than what you and I consider good marketing; we just wouldn't know because we 1: Aren't the mainstream and 2: Aren't sociology majors.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Palpek posted:

I don't agree. The "genius" Bethesda marketing division didn't lately successfully sell 2 games with their brilliant misleading sales tactics. They sold 1 game and utterly failed to sell the 2nd. They simply badly marketed 2 great games where one ended up reviewing and selling well only because it represented a famous brand and lived up to its legacy while the second game ended up selling poorly because it referred to the ultimately wrong, weak and forgotten brand (Prey), didn't use the actually strong brand the legacy which it represented (System Shock) and offered experience too niche for the target broad market it was marketted for. Doom was successful despite the marketing's failures because everybody knows Doom and the game was good enough to live up to it. Prey didn't have that luck.
Ultimately I think Prey's branding, which I agree was what most led to its weak sales (as much credit as I give marketing, they aren't the sole saviors or failures when it comes to game sales,) happened because someone outside of marketing made the decision to co-opt a former IP in order to make it seem like the game was a sequel. You know, that one attribute that apparently makes a game sell more than usual. :rolleyes: I wouldn't be surprised if marketing saw what happened and disagreed that it was a good idea, as their foresight over such things were being guessed at by an executive trying to look smart. Maybe that executive is the Founder/President of Arkane Studios who had to resign after Prey sales were so bad. I don't really know but I wouldn't be surprised.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Downs Duck posted:

Wouldn't we hear about this somewhere, though? Or maybe it's not big enough news, not sure. I haven't heard any news of anyone having to leave because of Prey yet.
Yeah, you'd hear about it in the news.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/27/15881164/arkane-studios-founder-leaves-studio-raphael-colantonio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So I just had a discussion with someone who works with digital sales and they did not realize that WA pays taxes on Steam purchases. The reason I had this discussion was because I wondered about the answer to a question and since they didn't know, I'll now pose it here.

WA residents pay taxes on Steam (based in WA) purchases. CA residents do not pay taxes on Humblebundle.com (based in CA) purchases (or Steam for that matter.) What's the cause for this? Is it a WA law that insists digital goods should be taxed for WA residents or a CA law that exempts physical goods or something else entirely?

And to that end, do WA residents pay taxes on purchases from Humblebundle.com?

• Locked thread