Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kragger99 posted:

It's easier said then done, but if you can group your wanted games into one of the following categories, only buy the ones in the first category this sale, and buy the ones in the second during the winter sale:
1. "I'm definitely going to play this within the next 6 months!!!"
2. "I really want to play this, but not sure that I'll get to it in the next 6 months"

Otherwise you'll get a massive backlog (or make your existing one larger), and most likely run out of time to play them all :(

This man knows what he is talking about.

I generally keep two categories in Steam - "Currently Playing" and "Endless Games". The former has things like Tyranny (just picked up from it's recent sale the other week and enjoying it), Metal Gear Solid V (have yet to start), Witcher 3, etc. The latter category has (in addition to linked openers for Overwatch/Diablo 3 and the like) Rocket League, Pinball FX2, Caves of Qud, etc. I try to keep as little in the "Currently Playing" category as possible. I might add 2 or 3 games per sale to last 6 months until the next sale, as you mentioned. Once I am finished with a game, it gets uninstalled and set in a "Beaten" category. I hide uninstalled games so I generally don't even see that category listed. It's definitely not for everyone, but I think it's a solid system that keeps me on track to play (and actually finish!) games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

I have but one wish: Hyper Light Drifter.

A fun game that quickly made me realize I am not as good at games as I once was.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
What was the third quest today to get stickers? I completed the discovery queue and I altered my display preferences. It says I have one more to complete but it's no longer listed.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

This isn't exactly related to the Steam sale, but if you're adding games to your cart and budgeting like me, it's worth noting: The Diablo 3 Necromancer DLC comes out next week for $15. I had no clue.

Awesome. I swear I looked around two weeks ago and couldn't find a release date anywhere. I am apparently going to break the hell out of my "two to three games per sale to avoid a backlog" rule.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hopper posted:

I sort of like roguelikes (Shiren the wanderer on the DS for example) for the occasional play and was thinking of getting Swords of the Stars The Pit. I am confused however, there is a gold edition and a bundle that has the gold edition and more dlc. Which one should I get?

And what other good roguelikes are there? (I prefer good graphics, nothing with Ascii code like minimalist stuff, that's just not appealing to me)

Others I would have mentioned have already been listed, but keep an eye on this in the future: http://store.steampowered.com/app/625960/Stoneshard/

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Edmond Dantes posted:

So here's a doozy for y'all.

Hollow Knight or Hyper Light Drifter?

They are both pretty different games. I enjoyed Hyper Light Drifter, but there isn't much of a story if that interests you. I also found it pretty drat hard. Hollow Knight looks more forgiving based on the gameplay video I just watched. I just wrapped up Super Metroid for the first time in 20+ years and am itching for more, so I am a little biased toward Hollow Knight at the moment.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Penpal posted:

If you've never made a decision based on a coin flip until now, then do that.

This is a good option. There is actual science behind it. The second the coin is in the air you will find yourself rooting for one side over the other. There is your answer.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

Ok, doing my twice a year game buying and my wish list is basically empty so I'm looking for some goon recommendations. I usually like games with really engaging stories, RPGs, Metroidvanias or Dark Souls-like games.

Already planning to pick up Salt & Sanctuary, Ori and the Blind Forest and FF6 (nostalgia).

Semi-complete list of past Steam sale purchases I've really liked:

Terraria
Axiom Verge
Life is Strange
The Talos Principle
Valkyria Chronicles
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Thomas Was Alone
Shadowrun (all 3)
Her Story
Borderlands 2
Alpha Protocol
Undertale

Also how's NieR:Automata? I saw it made the latest list of Extra Credits' "Games You Might Not Have Tried" and their recommendations usually sync up with my tastes.

I would really recommend not getting FF6 if you are looking for nostalgia. It's a port of the mobile game and looks like garbage.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

Is it really that bad? It looks like they just changed the sprites up a bit. It's a little disconcerting but I imagine I'd adapt. I really enjoyed the FFVII, FFIX and FFX ports.

The PSX games still look the same, but FFVI and FFV are mobile ports. The same game is underneath (with some updated controls/buttons) but I couldn't get past how terrible it looked. I believe there are some fixes out now to get rid of the smoothing on certain sprites so it's a bit closer to the SNES days. Worth a look if you don't mind a little more work after downloading the game.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Edmond Dantes posted:

Survivor sounds good in that case. I'm not half bad at shooters and I'll probably be exploring every nook and cranny I come across.

That will probably suit you well. I played with a controller, which I am trash at aiming with, and I survived.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
For anyone that picks up Darkest Dungeon who doesn't like tedium, do what I did and edit some of the config files to make the quest loot and gold 5-10x greater. The combat will still be tough and rewarding but you probably won't want to kill yourself as you build up your town and characters.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Awesome! posted:

check out my sick haul

That's a whole lot of gaming hours. I have yet to get through the White March but I started up Tyranny (another 60 hour ordeal I assume) from the sale last week instead because I am a big dummy.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Darkhold posted:

It's designed for multiple playthroughs so it's more like 20ish hours per playthrough. I imagine most people don't go through it more than once though.

I'd recommend playing through at least twice and making different choices on what areas you visit and what major faction you join (or don't join if you want to see the anarchy path).

That's good to know. I am not sure if I want to join the "aggressive baby" faction in another play through. The "smarmy butthole" faction has been pretty good so far. Anarchy might be worth a try though.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Deformed Church posted:

Have any good Diablo style ARPGs come out that I might have missed over the past ~six months? Or should I just reinstlal path of exile and hope it doesn't take too much offense to my lovely lovely internet?

The new Diablo 3 expansion comes out in two days for $15 - you should give that a shot.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Just to keep people from getting confused:

There is no expansion, it's just a single class for $15.

Good call - it's a content pack I suppose. Some stuff for your account, stash tabs, character slots, wearable wings, etc.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, recent reviews on the Pillars of Eternity page are raging about a price hike prior to the sale. Isthereanydeal.com showed the standard $45 price for months (sans a random sale here and there) for months leading up to the Steam summer sale. Was it raised in other countries and not the US?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Awesome! posted:

correct, there was no price change in the us. it was in garbage money territories and then everyone (understandably) got really mad they cant buy the games for the equivalent of $2 anymore

Makes sense - I know some countries had insanely low base prices. Appreciate the info.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Plastic Goldbaby posted:

Went digging for a bunch of smaller, cheaper games but I'm looking to trim the list a little. Any suggestions on what to axe?

Valdis Story
Reigns
Bloodgate
Neo Scavenger
This War of Mine
Pony Island
You Must Build a Boat
Massive Chalice
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Shrouded in Sanity
Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered
Paper Sorcerer
Flamebreak

Can't help with most of that but you best keep Crypt of the Necrodancer on there so help me God.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Since I have seen requests of play though lengths pop up here a few times, everyone should be aware of https://howlongtobeat.com/ . I use it fairly often when deciding what games to buy or when choosing what to play next.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Downs Duck posted:

Thank you for Torchlight :)

Is there any reason why this doesn't have the simple login with Steam option like Steam completionist and others? It looks better than other sites, but I'm not sure why I have to register an account.

Not sure - I have only ever used it for quick searching. Never once considered setting up an account as I have no desire to add my own times.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

extra stout posted:

Golf With Your Friends was my favorite five dollar game last year, it got kind of slow on updates, like half a year with nothing but a few bug fixes, I just booted 'er up and see three new good looking maps, played one and it's really well designed. It's four bucks now and has more stuff than last year, it's officially THE GOON GAME, enjoy

Does this finally work with a controller? That turned me away at release.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Does anyone want a skull? I might have too many skulls.

e: I'm serious. Shoot me a friend request and explain why you need a skull, and you will get One (1) skull.

Would love a skull to wish death upon my Steam chat enemies, but am going to need a SteamID link listed.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mystic Stylez posted:

I know this is highly subjective, but recommend me games with awesome soundtracks. I don't care which genre or category, as long as the game itself is at least decent.

Some random examples: Fallout 1/2, Deus Ex, Hotline Miami 1/2, Brigador, Shatter, Bastion, VVVVVV, STALKER series.

A lot of good examples have been provided already, but I didn't see those chumps list:

Transistor (and likely Pyre when that comes out, as it's the same sweet duo from Bastion/Transistor): http://youtube.com/watch?v=-zA1jRmAYfU
Dungeonmans: https://overclockedrecords.com/release/dungeonmans-ost/
Crypt of the Necrodancer: http://youtube.com/watch?v=fvyXOXbi8kE (yes this was already listed but I am listing again because it's so good)
Aquaria: http://youtube.com/watch?v=wQWJBaWqIVA
Before the Echo (Previously Sequence - Ronald Jenkees goodness): http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bn2WYrfSvtI

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

strategery posted:

Dead Cells is fantastic

Goons will not stop talking about this game so I'll likely pick it up tonight. How is the permanent progression handled? Is it like Rogue Legacy with stats/skills purchased through a currency earned each run, or like Dungeonmans where you can retain both items stashed and stat points in some capacity?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
All right, consider me on board - Dead Cells is amazing. Can't even tell it's in Early Access, although I am not very far in so maybe there are some levels that need to be added toward the end. Had some great runs and ended up getting to the 4th area or so. Haven't met any bosses yet, just some elite enemies.

Each run is rewarding, and you can use cells dropped from enemies to power up health potions, weapons (if you find a blueprint), weapon damage (even boosting weapons you find in a run), etc. My most disappointing death so far was when I lost 20 cells and a rare blueprint, which I have yet to see again. If you are in the "Wellllll just one more round" crowd and buy this game, your life is forfeit.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

monster on a stick posted:

I swear I bought the Tomb Raider reboot really cheaply a year and a half after the game came out. This one is still over $20 dammit.

I picked up the GOTY edition for $15 some time ago. You probably got in on the same deal. Also got Deus Ex HR GOTY for $15 from the same site I think.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

monster on a stick posted:

Yeah, that's how I got DX:HR as well. The good old days :smith:

Whoops I meant Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - the latest one.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I, uh, think I need to buy another shiny game as a distraction before Dead Cells consumes me. This hasn't happened to me in a long time.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Awesome! posted:

i am holding off on picking up dead cells until i hear that they have fixed the horrible item balance everyone complains about

I didn't know that was a thing, apart from knowing I need to keep ice grenades on hand since they are so useful - have any links?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

gmq posted:

I bought three games and played one a bit and then spent another 10 hours playing Skyrim.

Playing the Enderal overhaul, or the standard game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

-Blackadder- posted:

Well despite not really being into rogue-likes(mostly I hate perma-death), I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on Dungeonmans at the very last minute before the sale ended and I'm really glad I did. I just played it for about 30 minutes, I have to take off now, but yeah, it really scratches my RPG/Dungeon Crawler itch. I've hardly scratched the surface of the game and I've only died once, but I'm already really feeling the whole presentation. It feels refined, with a lot of heart. And when I did die I didn't get that feeling of annoyance I got when I tried Rogue Legacy (though I didn't really give that game an honest shot either).

Anyway, 30 minutes isn't really enough to tell anything for sure, but I have such a short attention span that I routinely start a new game, play it for 10-15 minutes then exit out realizing I'll never touch it again. So the fact that I would be playing it right now if I didn't have other things I needed to go do means that it's a definite keeper. It feels like a very Goldilocks game. Everything about it is just right, at least so far, and I see this taking up enough of my time that I don't have to worry about finding something to play between now and Dead Cells coming out of EA.

Well once you had your fill with Dungeonmans and Dead Cells, keep an eye out for Stoneshard in 2018.

• Locked thread