Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

whiskey the juvenile posted this in the old thread:

could that have had anything to do with this 2015 state law?

Out-of-state college students, who often vote Democratic, would have to obtain an Ohio driver's license or license plate if they want to vote in Ohio, under a bill that passed the Legislature [...]

Democrats have called on Kasich to line-item veto the requirement, which was added to a bill that pays for repairs to roads and bridges. The provision states that new residents who register to vote in Ohio must obtain an Ohio driver's license and register their vehicles here within 30 days. Violators of the provision, who choose to keep a driver's license or license plate from another state, could face a minor misdemeanor.

I'm guessing that kasich did not line-item veto that requirement.

that addresses the 18-21 portion, maybe (not like Ohioans don't go in-state), but what about 22-28?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

paranoid randroid posted:

like bear in mind the convention has to write its own rules for things like delegations and good luck getting 2/3rds of the states to agree on anything right now

New York and California demand that states get delegations based strictly on population, where Wyoming gets one delegate and California gets 78, and everything gets passed by a convention-wide majority vote

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

most grad-school students are older than 21, and those would be the ones most likely coming from out of state.

most 21-29s aren't grad students. like maybe 50k out of some 2 million people

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
e: hold on

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

anime was right posted:

sorry, i should restate: that 200k figure is the amount of out-of-state students that would be potentially affected by that disenfranchisement law

that is a shitload of people

Meanwhile there's like 1.7m people 18-29, so even disenfranchising all 200k out of state students, you'd be effecting turnout changes by like 11%; but turnout was flat.

Meanwhile UK saw a 30% increase in youth turnout from 2015.

If that were replicated here, even assuming you get disenfranchisement by turning away out of state drivers licenses from college youth, it'd still be like 25% increase.

Meanwhile, youth turnout in the primary under Bernie was flat.

And it's not like you can say "oh, it's the primary, turnout is lower than the general election". Yes, that's the case, but it's not the case that primary turnout is necessarily static from year to year, as it was from 2008 to 2016.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyway my point isn't that the Democrats shouldn't run as a party on a leftist platform, but rather that there seems to be this sense that doing so would be a silver bullet while there doesn't appear to be any reason to suspect that this is the case.

I mean the status quo didn't work so I'm happy to give it a shot, but I think the left needs a lot more organization than merely around an electoral strategy.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
like my post in Suck Zone Past disagreeing with someone about how The Democrats are the only available avenue to see change enacted, and I'm just thinking that the Civil Rights Era gains were because people organized outside the auspices of any party, much less the Democratic party, and I think that's the best avenue going forward.

Like there's the whole (idiot) debate over whether MLK Jr. was a Democrat or Republican, which really misses the point as opposed to "what did he stand for" and "what did he accomplish"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
like the Republicans are a weak party, but conservatives are a strong movement

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
nobody's quaking in their boots over the political acumen of Reince Preibus, yet we're all acting like the fate of the world is tied up in Perez.

Sure, whatever, he may very well suck but why the gently caress is anyone acting like that's at all dispositive to anything?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serf posted:

mlk was a communist

yes, I know

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

got any sevens posted:

know what else happened in that era? mass assassinations of anyone left, or blacklisting. and turnout in primaries in 2016 was low because of:
- some states not letting same day registration
- young people cant afford to take the day off
- bernie was smeared from day 1 as a no-chance upstart

he'd just won Michigan the week before, and it's not like 100% of registered voters vote so there was room to drive turnout

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

wj: "status quo isn't working, but damned if I know what's gonn--OOH WHAT'S THIS??."

https://twitter.com/nandorvila/status/877578016821362688

hmm no this looks like status quo chasing Trump voters actually (also it would be evil)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

the joke being that you constantly claim to be a leftist yet post nothing but reasons why left ideas won't work therefore nothing should be done because we're all going to die

I don't post that they won't work, just how likely they are to actually come to pass.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

yah, and I just looked up the exit polling on the OH dem primary and just lolol at whiskey-the-juvie bc 18-29 year olds in OH went sanders over clinton 81 percent to 19 percent and that age group comprised 15 percent of the OH primary vote (and 19 percent of the OH general-election vote).

but sanders should have done more to attract the youth vote in OH, lmao.

I'm not questioning that Bernieism is wildly popular among Democratic-voting youth; his theory of the campaign wasn't margin-based but turnout-based, though

e: that is, as a share of the primary vote, the 18-29 were also around 15% in 2008; it doesn't seem that Sanders brought out new voters, merely won already existing ones

and when it comes to building a party or movement or whatever, we've all been talking about the non-voter itt

WhiskeyJuvenile has issued a correction as of 06:12 on Jun 22, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

good

mobilizing is cool and good

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid posted:

Hahah holy poo poo wasn't he in the navy for like a week before getting booted for having a dumb rear end foot

That's the entirety of his career as a spook?

that he's doing a stolen valor seems like it'd be a plus with the twitter dirtbag left crowd tho

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/joeprince___/status/877982889857527808

:getin:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/ddddarby/status/877952289016758272

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/WeedMubarak/status/878040694350204931

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

paranoid randroid posted:

Are you FOR the Lion Assad?

i believe in evidence-based politics, and the evidence says that the curse of "assad must go" is real and strong and my friend

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

the schism/faction thing in the party is irrevocable, at this point... there's not going to be any dem electoral victories for the near future bc so many berdies won't vote for bad dems anymore while lanyards are sticking with their corporate-donors-and-pragmatic-baby-steps-are-just-fine-and-who-needs-single-payer-anyway scripts.

I guess some of the congressional races in 2018 will garner votes from both types of dems, especially where there aren't primary contests, but the next presidential race is prolly a lost cause. Warren & Franken are kinda feet-in-both-camps (rather, they're perceived that way) but there's no way Perez et al. are gonna turn their trite pap and trump-bad reflexes into a united and victorious party in the next few years.

THANKS, OBERNIE

:agreed:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://mobile.twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/878222050678063104

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/878222650115592194

WhiskeyJuvenile has issued a correction as of 14:12 on Jun 23, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

ironstache status update: still not a milkshake duck

https://twitter.com/joeprince___/status/877802253683392512

https://twitter.com/IronStache/status/840242514942672896

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/878303312746995713

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/seanmcelwee/status/878359850052440064

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Congrats bitch u mentioned hrc and now ur permabanned

if only

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

my man

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
this guy, 2020:

https://twitter.com/randygdub/status/878369401120014337

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/kimkardashian/status/878411406361542656

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I get, in light of everything, why the push for single payer is important, and the momentum towards positive change is definitely in its favor, vs. something like French multipayer.

Having said that, I think it's important to remember that there's a significant chunk of people for whom single payer won't be a significant material benefit - because they're healthy and don't have medical costs currently. Yes, of course there's a very significant peace of mind that single payer would give, but the economic malaise of poo poo like the gig economy isn't going to be ameliorated by providing health coverage.

So talk about it, but don't make it the entirety of your pitch.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

NewForumSoftware posted:

actually it benefits everyone to not have tens of thousands of people dying every year from lack of health insurance

hth you little ghoul

if people voted on the basis of giving a poo poo about other people... we'd be in a real different world

Condiv posted:

actually singlepayer would help people trapped in the gig economy cause they would have benefits and health care!

like I said: I think it's a good thing at this point and if that's the most we can get, it's still a great accomplishment.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

Right up until the moment that they're not.

again, if people voted on that basis, we'd be living in a very different world

the suggestion isn't that single payer isn't a good idea, it's that it's not the best thing to centerpiece a campaign around, vs. poo poo like "here's how we're gonna put more money in your pocket" - which, for most people, single payer wouldn't, at least not in the short term.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
even for those people who understand why they need health coverage even if they're not sick, the material gains from having that seem less than like, say, guarantees of good employment

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
all this is to say that i'd like to hear the 2020 version of bernie talk more about labor

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

speaking as someone who had a nice little period of insurancelessness for 6 years, this is not true. even though i didn't get anything terrible during that time, if I had any kind of issue I just had to hope it wasn't something more severe cause i sure as gently caress couldn't afford to get it checked. i remember when i first learned i have winter eczema, a patch appeared on my arm and kept growing over weeks, and not knowing what it was i had no idea what to do. worse, it was turning yellow and gross looking., so i was freaked the hell out that I had some sort of skin fungus and that I was literally rotting away while living. my dad finally spotted me $100 so i could see a dermatologist and I learned I needed special lotions in winter to keep my skin healthy, but i was lucky that I had parents that could do that for me.

any young person without health insurance almost certainly goes through the same (unless they're the biggest idiot on earth) thanks to how insanely expensive treatment is without insurance.

I mean I don't think there are any downsides to single payer, political or policy-wise, in 2017

but I still think there needs to be something more; like you can still be a shitlord neoliberal and be in favor of single payer: witness pre-Corbyn Labour or like French politics or some poo poo

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

you certainly cannot be a neoliberal and be in favor of singlepayer. neoliberal economics decries all government spending as waste.

I see the rehabilitation of Tony Blair is proceeding nicely

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

he's lying to improve his appeal in these times where neoliberalism is being equated with literally burning the poor for a quick buck. this should have been super obvious to you though since we're discussing a man who lied to his country so he could kill iraqis with his best pal gwb

i know hillary fans like to pretend that neoliberal isn't an actual word with an actual definition, but singlepayer and neoliberals are fundamentally incompatible

you're fundamentally saying that neoliberalism only exists in America, which we know is wrong

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
right, single payer adherents talk about how the tax increase on employers will be less than the premiums they're playing, right? all it requires is for capital-friendly politicians to throw insurers overboard in favor of the walmarts and whatnot, and that's not outside the realm of possibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

what a blatantly dishonest response

for instance, as we all know, Macron's totally calling for dismantling the French health coverage system.

• Locked thread