Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

whiskey the juvenile posted this in the old thread:

quote:

Ohio was a) open, b) held once Bernie had established that he was a plausible candidate and the race had gotten competitive (he'd just had the surprise upset in Michigan), yet youth turnout declined relative to 2008

could that have had anything to do with this 2015 state law?

Out-of-state college students, who often vote Democratic, would have to obtain an Ohio driver's license or license plate if they want to vote in Ohio, under a bill that passed the Legislature [...]

Democrats have called on Kasich to line-item veto the requirement, which was added to a bill that pays for repairs to roads and bridges. The provision states that new residents who register to vote in Ohio must obtain an Ohio driver's license and register their vehicles here within 30 days. Violators of the provision, who choose to keep a driver's license or license plate from another state, could face a minor misdemeanor.

I'm guessing that kasich did not line-item veto that requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

another whiskey-the-juvie gem from old thread:

quote:

one would think that the fact that Obamacare repeal is really just a $800b tax cut for the wealthy would perhaps hint that Obamacare itself perhaps was a program to redistribute money from the wealthy to the poor?

if by "redistribute money" you mean shoveling $500 billion to private insurers, and if by "poor" you mean "private insurers," and and if by "wealthy" you mean "people making $17,000/year or slightly higher" then yes, one would think that.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

that addresses the 18-21 portion, maybe (not like Ohioans don't go in-state), but what about 22-28?

most grad-school students are older than 21, and those would be the ones most likely coming from out of state.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

anime was right posted:

sorry, i should restate: that 200k figure is the amount of out-of-state students that would be potentially affected by that disenfranchisement law

that is a shitload of people

yah, and I just looked up the exit polling on the OH dem primary and just lolol at whiskey-the-juvie bc 18-29 year olds in OH went sanders over clinton 81 percent to 19 percent and that age group comprised 15 percent of the OH primary vote (and 19 percent of the OH general-election vote).

but sanders should have done more to attract the youth vote in OH, lmao.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm not questioning that Bernieism is wildly popular among Democratic-voting youth; his theory of the campaign wasn't margin-based but turnout-based, though

e: that is, as a share of the primary vote, the 18-29 were also around 15% in 2008; it doesn't seem that Sanders brought out new voters, merely won already existing ones

and when it comes to building a party or movement or whatever, we've all been talking about the non-voter itt

hence my pointing out the 2015 law that subsequently presented a barrier to 200,000 students for voting in the state. And the law would have first been in effect during the 2016 primary.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

What does David Yankovich actually do? The bio on his campaign website says something like "joined his mother in property management" but I can't find a lick of info on who he is and what he does for a living.

A google search turned up his defunct blog, the broken road, but the blog now redirects to his campaign page (which offers next to nothing on his bio and policy positions) and there's no way (internet archive, maybe?) to access his posts.

Bad dems love to pretend they've just sprouted into being, and are loath to have their past statements exposed.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Agean90 posted:

he's a carpet bagger who's trying to become a politician. He is incapable of providing a challenge to Paul Ryan so he will win th primary handily
]

I know the dems love themselves some blank slates, but I'm serious when I say there's absolutely nothing online about his past and present beyond the scant hagiography he presents.

I went down this wormhole after trying to find his campaign contributions but I can't recall seeing anywhere where he lived before moving to WI.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lmao.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Agean90 posted:

I vaguely recall that he used to work for th CIA, so I think he's literally grown in a vat a brainwashed into building support for hillary

yah, I just found this on the palmer report:

So who is David Yankovich? If you’re not familiar with his presence on Twitter (link), he’s done some writing for Huffington Post, where his bio identifies him as a “former intelligence analyst, and political operative working with both Democrats, and Republicans.”

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Muppets On PCP posted:

how in the gently caress can we of all people not manage to doxx a guy running for federal office

his expertise in intelligence must have been scrubbing all existing online proof of who he is.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

These are the only two hits I've found on OpenSecrets for donors named Yankovich in Ohio

the fec has a few more yankoviches, but I can't even find the dude's middle initial anywhere so as to narrow down the pool.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

yankovich's fb posts (https://www.facebook.com/DavidYankovichBrokenRoad) last year link to a bunch of his articles, but all the links now lead to his generic campaign homepage.

eta: and the oldest post is from oct. 2016

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It's because the way dems are going guy is by sneering from an ivory tower. Their entire electoral strategy is a high horse moral superiority because tromp rude and they shake your hand when they pick your pocket

Yah.

Ferrinus posted this link in dnd and the article is a great explanation of dems' imagined intellectual superiority: https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-blathering-superego-at-the-end-of-history/

Liberalism remained slightly kinder than pure reaction — not quite so racist, not so terribly brutal to the poor — but even these commitments were subsumed by the ideology of pure competence. Bigotry wasn’t evil, it was just stupid, an impediment to growth. Health care reform and the welfare state were not moral necessities, they were the best means of keeping workers healthy and productive. The notion that knowledge asymmetries lay at the root of all political conflict was quickly transmuted into the basis of policy itself. If liberals became masters of the world due to their superior respect for facts, then education — not redistribution — was the only hope for the dispossessed. If liberals believed in climate change because scientists told them they should, then the trouble was not the metastatic excesses of capital but the failure of reactionaries to bow to empirical consensus.

The result was an American political movement whose center was a moral void. When John Kerry spoke out against the death penalty, his opposition was based in flawed application — the punishment just wasn’t smart. When he criticized Bush’s handling of the War in Iraq, his position was similar: he would continue the war but be more strategic about it. When Kerry lost, American liberals opined that there were just too many rubes out there. They would have voted better — smarter — if only they had had the right data visualizations in front of them. When Barack Obama won, and then passed the Heritage Foundation’s health care policy while carrying out a drone war responsible for the incineration of children in half a dozen sovereign nations, he did it while remaining the smartest guy in the room. That was what mattered. At the dawn of the 21st century, we stood on the doorstep of a permanent managerial world order. The wonks just needed to finish explaining it to the rest of us.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

ok, the only recent thing I found about yanko was that he moved to WI from OH.

and if he's 47, as the one mylife match from OH with his name maintains, I wonder if this popo report is his (even tho middle initials don't match): https://www.policearrests.com/arrests/david_l_yankovich_id_7213711.html

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

lmao idk he looks younger than that

yah, it's not him lol: http://ohio.arrests.org/Arrests/David_Yankovich_17479843/

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

someone with a linkedin acct plz check this and report any salient deets: https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-yankovich-8856044/

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

loquacius posted:

If you're not a connection of his it's very sparse. It says he's a Construction Consultant and Contractor for the U.S. Navy in the Cleveland/Akron, Ohio area

and lists his education as "US Navy, 2005-2005"

I think I'd have to add him as a connection to get more and I'm not doing that

lol, that's all I could see w/out registering.

he has one youtube up; hard to believe that he thought the B&W selfie, muttering platitudes, with a 5 o'clock shadow and rumpled hair, was gonna help him in any way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8vEYusma0k

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Hey Willa. According to this article he penned (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-yankovich/my-experience-taking-my-d_b_12462036.html), Yankovich lived an hour from Fort Pierce, Florida as of September 30, 2016. I suspect he lived in the Palm Beach/Boynton Beach area.

thx, altho I read that he was down there to help his ailing ma who needs the ACA is prolly on medicare, a single-payer program

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

If anyone knows how to find an archive or plain text of this page i would be very thankful

https://www.upwork.com/mobile/amp/freelancers/~013e54672618ab68e6

why the hell doesn't it show up on the wayback machine, grrr.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

https://twitter.com/CathyMyersWI/status/877996969549070336

A third challenger has entered the Ironstache / Yankovich bloodbath primary

what's up with all the campaign websites that have all this "I was born at a truck stop in Iowa" bullshit but no actual policy statements?

never mind; insert THE DEMOCRATS punchline.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

https://twitter.com/CathyMyersWI/status/877996969549070336

A third challenger has entered the Ironstache / Yankovich bloodbath primary

:tinfoil:

yanko was recruited by the dnc so the 2 guys split the non-pussy-hat vote, thus neutralizing iron-stache against the hillyard.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

i believe in evidence-based politics, and the evidence says that the curse of "assad must go" is real and strong and my friend

no one cares what you, a bad dem posting bad-dem tweets, think

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

wanna smack that smug smirk outta schumer

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

it tells the voter that they're just another average Joe, not like those ivory tower elites. that way it'll feel more friendly when they cut government services and kick everyone off safety net programs

notice how it also repeatedly mentions "hard work", "personal responsibility", and my new favorite phrase "fighting for opportunity". it talks about how hard she had to work and how much debt she had to take on so you know that when she votes to cut welfare and privatize everything, she's been there, and she knows that all you need is a pair of bootstraps

lol.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Nanomashoes posted:

https://twitter.com/cuckertarlson/status/877883503739895808
This party has no room for pointless purity testing. These neoliberals need to shut up and vote for the berniebros.

the schism/faction thing in the party is irrevocable, at this point... there's not going to be any dem electoral victories for the near future bc so many berdies won't vote for bad dems anymore while lanyards are sticking with their corporate-donors-and-pragmatic-baby-steps-are-just-fine-and-who-needs-single-payer-anyway scripts.

I guess some of the congressional races in 2018 will garner votes from both types of dems, especially where there aren't primary contests, but the next presidential race is prolly a lost cause. Warren & Franken are kinda feet-in-both-camps (rather, they're perceived that way) but there's no way Perez et al. are gonna turn their trite pap and trump-bad reflexes into a united and victorious party in the next few years.

THANKS, OBERNIE

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Concerned Citizen posted:

he also is on a personal crusade to destroy sanders

he'll have to take a number and wait in line.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

It's more than a twitter slapfest. It's happening among party leadership, local parties, party state conventions, dem consultants, dem blogs and dem-sided media.

They might be the 2 percent but they have an outsized effect on party messaging, principles, platform, and congressional direction, and it ultimately trickles down to voters.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

paranoid randroid posted:

like sorry Willa i respect you a lot as a poster and you did a lot to educate me on how generation wars are largely a GOP messaging campaign to undermine the social safety net, and for that i thank you, but this self-pitying lets-all-cut-our-loving-wrists-because-hope-is-dead poo poo is pathetic beyond words

I'm not self-pitying and I'm no longer a democrat. I have no vested interest in the future of the dem party, but I'm fascinated with the changes that I see younger generations than mine making inside & outside the political process.

But I also see the civil war, as FG put it, and I actually think that's good and healthy for both the party and the country.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

^^^ I don't know what this means.

thank you so loving much for laying the responsibility of waging this civil war on us younger generations, boomer. im sure youll be loving vindicated in your pissy disaffectation, because you have the luxury of adopting it.

Look, I put in 40 years for the dems, and I'm still involved in issues activism like single-payer. I think it's great that some of you are involved in state-party politics and other intraparty activities and I loved reading the trip reports of activism in VS's thread.

I've detached because it's my coping mechanism, and because I want to believe that something better will come about down the road. And I just don't see that happening outside of a radical restructuring of the country's political processes.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

yeah fine thats fair

just do me a favor and dont assert how useless and hopeless our engagement is

My post that triggered your response was just poo poo I'd been thinking about after seeing the party schism play out in different spaces. I'd never poo poo on someone for getting involved.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Condiv posted:

putincept? is the intercept actually materially connected to russia or are bad dems calling anyone who dares to question their beliefs russians?

the combo of greenwald & a media outlet that dares to call out dem corruption.

Bad dems, and the outlets that echo them, have cut off critiques from the left and that's been the case over the last decade or so. By marginalizing and minimizing those critiques bad dems can dismiss it by smearing it as putinesque or stealth-gop or infiltration by enemy forces--but they sound increasingly unhinged when they do so, and they further alienate potential voters or dem voters who are not happy with either the status quo or the party's tonedeaf actions.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I fell deep into the suck zone last night

sorry for bein an rear end, Willa

No worries. I tend to be overly honest & pessimistic itt and in my home forum bc they're two of the only places where I can vent honestly online, and bc in real life I'm surrounded by lanyards.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

ThndrShk2k posted:

Now how much of that is Russia scarmongering and how much is that Trump doing dumb poo poo?

That's part of the dem problem, though: the russia scaremongering has the effect of overshadowing and trivializing the poo poo that trump's doing, then getting ball-of-wax treatment in polls like this one.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

gdi.

the drug company donations are the worst, bc while docs would have to adjust to universal rates (and are somewhat used to it bc of medicaid, medicare and insurers setting their rates already), pharma knows it's gonna have to bite it if single-payer ever passes at the state level.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Condiv posted:

STFU about Single Payer. People's health care is at risk right now, especially millions of women and POC. Shut up about your purity legislation that would disproportionately help white people, and potentially would hurt the same people trying to save the ACA. Stop making GBS threads on people who are doing real work to save some lives. For once, look in the loving mirror, learn some humility, and start working, or shut up, step aside, and never speak again.

lol, that reddit post hit all the lanyard talking points:

1. the ACA can be "saved." (no, it really can't, unless it's amended to include coverage for those in the medicaid gap, those affected by the "family glitch"; hundreds of billions of dollars more for insurers; lowering of out-of-pocket costs; and cost controls on provider rates and prescription drugs--these are the things that will never, ever happen).

2. that single-payer would hurt women and PoC (woo boy, get ready for that hyde amendment talk and "progressive" opposition to single-payer if it doesn't fully include abortions)

3. that ACA is saving "real lives" while single-payer will destroy lives. (wot?) and that real political work is trying to save a program that never really worked, outside of medicaid expansion (in the states that chose to expand it).

4. a slashie-like kicker that exhorts one to look in the mirror, examine thyself and STFU.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

wj, one of the last few bastions of succ in the succ zone :patriot:

zegermans' probation has had the effect of amplifying wj's suckage, bc now that the screaming baby is gone the toddler quietly playing with matches has our full attetion.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

NPR's taking Car Talk off the air in September and then they'll have no reason whatsoever to exist.

NPR should be renamed to Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me We Can Have Anything Good.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Montasque posted:

How the gently caress can people think Single Payer is racist or sexist? WHAT THE gently caress?

sexist bc: it might not fund every abortion, even though the hyde amendment has been law for decades and the majority of abortions are self-pay followed by medicaid, a single-payer program.

racist bc: millions of PoC might lose medicaid under the ACA while bernard bros fight for a medicaid-for-all program, bc these things are zero-sum and unless you fight for status-quo failure like the ACA you're aiding & abetting the GOP or you're a russian agent.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

etalian posted:

It's hilarious how centrist scum whine about single payer even though it has been deployed across multiple countries, everywhere from Germany and Japan.

But for some reason the biggest economy in the world can't make it happen.

"our country is too large for single-payer :qq: "

"our country isn't ready for single-payer :qq: "

"it's sexist and racist for everyone to be covered :qq: "

"think of the poor unemployed insurance workers :qq: "

"think of how doctors will have to go on food stamps if their pricing is capped :qq: "

"healthcare should be means-tested; should donald trump's kids get free healthcare? :qq: "

"let me point you to this other country and pretend I want a system just like that one, even though it's technically single-payer :qq: "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

etalian posted:

Even hybrid European systems like Swiss one which are not 100% government run still are vastly better than the US system since the health insurance industry is heavily regulated, not for profit and
also the max out of cost pockets for things like deductibles are capped to reasonable amount & tied to income.

yet nary a dailykos single-payer thread goes by without that trope of "why can't we have something like the swiss system instead?"

like, medicare part b supplemental insurance is a bunch of private insurers adminstering plans that are cost-controlled, as providers are cost-controlled under medicare, and I'd be super-happy if everyone could purchase these plans.

and once again I'll point out that medicare part b supplemental plans are profitable to insurers--even with government's cost controls--while insurers are losing money on obamacare plans for individuals. Dems can't even lie and say their corporate owners won't allow them to have single-payer bc within five years or sooner private insurers are gonna start demanding it.

• Locked thread