Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

I can't decide how I'd feel about them signing Joe Thornton to something like 1 year at 2 million or 2 years at 1.5 million. Yeah, he's old as gently caress, but that's Tanner Glass money and he'd still be an upgrade on Tanner Glass.

IDK how I feel about signing a HHOF franchise centre still very capable of playing productive top line minutes for replacement player salary. Is he more valuable than arguably the worst player in the league? Hard to say.

On a similar note I am looking at buying a new car. I am thinking about a 1962 Jaguar E type but I don't know if I want to pay more than $6000 for is. I'm not sure it's much of an upgrade on my 2002 Pontiac Aztec.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I was about to post the Flyers could sneak in to a wild card spot, young players, Nolan Patrick, etc. then I thought of the defense and goaltending and....yeah it may not be a good year for the Flyers.

Nolan Patrick is not a replacement for Brayden Schenn in 2017-18. Maybe in a few years, but he's more than likely going to peak at a player marginally above Schenn's level as it is. I just figured this was a straight mix things up just because Flyers move.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

Andreychuk was a one dimensional winger whose best seasons were spent tapping in back door power play goals from Lafontaine and Gilmour. That said I do not know if this qualifies him for the hall of fame as I do not understand how the hall of fame works.

Conversely, Cam Neely is a butt.

Andreychuk annoys me for coming back after the lockout instead of retiring after captaining Tampa to the cup. Did playing 1600 games really matter that much Dave?

He should probably be in the hall though. There's still something to be said for playing for a long time and being consistently good. Selanne and Alfredsson should be in long before him though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Would this be the same all star team that Alex Ovechkin was on twice in one season

Yes, just like when Pavel Bure won the Calder but failed to make the rookie all star team because it was (and still is) voted by position rather than just general Forward/Defence/Goalie categories.

Jordan7hm posted:

Eh if someone was willing to pay him to play hockey I am not gonna begrudge the guy coming back. Hockey is great! Nobody should retire until they are truly unable to play for medical reasons or because they can't find a contract.

There's very much something to be said for going out on top. In 05/06 he played half a season terribly then got waived. That's a pretty disappointing way to end a career considering he could've walked into the sunset holding the cup over his head.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 26, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

The 05/06 season is a treasure trove for old players who came back for one last chance: Lemieux, Andreychuk, Leetch, Mogilny, Palffy, Hull, Robitaille, and Yzerman are the eight best, but then you have Domi, Desjardins, Primeau, Zhamnov, Cassels, Scott Young, and Odelein.

Also, sorry to bring up Andreychuk everyone. I think he'll eventually make it in even though I have no strong opinion. Ciccarelli kind of opened the door for him.

Nothing about 2005/06 makes any sense. Eric Staal had 100pts then was PPG one more time in his career (82 in 82 in 07/08). Jonathan Cheechoo had 56 goals then was out of the league four years later. Shanny scored 40. Peter Prucha was the hot, young goalscoring winger for the Rangers. Todd Bertuzzi was still an effective player. Mathieu Schneider lead the league in goals from the blueline. Cristobal Huet posted a .929. The Red Wings put up 124 points then somehow lost to the 8th seeded Oilers who'd go on to force a Stanley Cup 7th game against the Hurricanes on the back of an all world performance from Fernando Pisani. :psyduck:

Looking back, that year was just bizarre beyond belief.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Keep in mind I think Hasek's a contender for GOAT at his position.

I don't think there's much debate about that anymore. Hasek is hands down the best goaltender to have every played.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 26, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Do you just mean because he was 35-36 at the time?

Yes, he'd been seen as being on the decline before the lockout. He scored 25 in 03/04. I don't think anyone expected 40 goals from him at 37.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Fixed it for you

The Canucks are apparently interested in Karl Alzner because he's from BC and they're stupid. Fortunately there's no hope of him signing with them, but I can't believe they didn't learn their lesson about 'hard nosed' defensive defencemen after the Sbisa/Gudbranson twin fiascos of shittiness.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This dude's dad is in the HHoF now

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

That's a pretty good deal for Dallas. Why the 2020 2nds? Is it supposed to be a really strong draft class or something?

There is absolutely no way to tell if it is or not. The kids that are going to be drafted that year haven't even begun their junior careers yet.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

McGuire won't shut up about how good the 2019 and 2020 draft classes are supposed to be.

Alexis Lafreniere put up good numbers as a 14 year old in Quebec AAA but there is absolutely no way to know anything about the depth or quality at the top. Three years old is way too early to make even vague pronouncements, let alone anything definitive. There's not even an exceptional player in the 2020 draft.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

Yakupov is crazy fast and quick and has good hands and a great shot and he tries so drat hard and is just really, really bad at hockey despite all of this.

I was a huge cheerleader for him when he got to the Blues and it took a while for me to admit that he just isn't an NHL player. It had nothing to do with Hitchcock or Yeo or forward depth or the position of the moon or the outcome of WWII, he just isn't very good.

If he had been drafted 22nd overall no one would give him a second thought.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Yak did have 31 points in 48 games once upon a time. You'd think a good coach could get something out of that. Going to St. Louis was a horrible place for a guy like him to go. Hitch is death to young players.

This kind of thinking led the Leafs to trade Tuukka Rask for Andrew Raycroft.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

It also led to Justin Schultz and Ian Cole being back to back Champs.

Sure, and I wouldn't mind Yak. He's a no risk signing considering he'll be a free agent, but it's almost like people expect he'll suddenly round into form as a top six scorer if given the opportunity. He's a 4th line forward and not a very good one, people really need to temper their expectations on him.

stab posted:

Marcel Hossa superstar

I have zero memory of Marcel Hossa as a player, but I will never forget the "Marcel Hossa can't connect to the internet" post and that guy trying to get Hossa to find his modem and thinking he'd done that, only to realize after a couple minutes he was describing the base of his telephone.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 27, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

I'm not sure if he'll sign for 8 years, both Malkin and Crosby signed for 5 after their ELC so they could be FA's at age 25 and get a second huge payday

I wouldn't be surprised with something like 11.5 for 6 years

The owners will probably try and cap contracts even further during the next lockout negotiations in a couple years. There will probably be a roll back too. If I'm McDavid, I'm getting as much as humanly possible right now.

If all Chiarelli does from now until October is get McDavid and Draistatl signed long term, I'd say he's has a pretty good summer. In the end those two guys are the pieces that actually matter, everything else should be worked around them.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I think the Avs did try and rebuild through the draft, they just got ahead of themselves after their miraculous 2013-14 when they jumped from dead last to 2nd in the conference. It's basically what the Leafs did last year (but even more so because the Avs were a 112 point team that year :psyduck:) and why Lou and co. should be careful about pivoting the Leafs to win now at this point. Fluke seasons up or down in the standings happen. It's about sustainability, and so many teams get way too excited about one lucky playoff appearance and screw themselves over as a result.

Ditto for the Oilers. That team hasn't really convinced me they've turned a corner properly yet.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

Aaah, I didn't know they'd actually been in that process

Yeah they picked 3rd in 2009 (Duchene), 2nd in 2011 (Landeskog) and 1st in 2013 (MacKinnon). They had a great year in 2013/14 on the strength of some great rookie performances, a bunch of built up depth and Varlamov being lights out. Rather than realizing things were improving but there were bound to be growing pains, they opted to go all in that summer and let Stastny walk as a UFA and signed and traded for a bunch of old guys in Danny Briere, Brad Stuart and Jarome Iginla. Unsurprisingly, everyone didn't have a career year for a second time in a row and the old guys didn't help much. They then didn't learn their lesson and continued to alienate probably their best player in O'Reilly and ditched him in the summer for lovely futures (JT Compher, Nikita Zadorov and Michael Grigorenko). They signed Carl Soderberg and Francois Beauchemin to big contracts and then when they had like a 5% chance of making the playoffs made a deadline deal for Mikkel Boedker (admittedly for not that much in retrospect).

They're the textbook example how of trying and failing to "accelerate the rebuild."

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 28, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Schlesische posted:

An example the Canucks will uphold in about 6 years.
The Habs will be right on their heels.

Considering that Trevor Linden has only used the word "rebuild" once and sounded like Lance Armstrong finally admitting to doping while he did so, I don't think you can actually say management feels they're in a rebuild let alone accelerating one.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Schlesische posted:

I figure 1 year for the Sedin's to give up, 2 years for the franchise to crater and start again, 2 more years for them to start again again and then the false dawn season.

They already had their false dawn in 2014-15 and management still hasn't figured out that was a weird aberration yet two full seasons later. In their heads, the team are just temporarily embarrassed contenders and not the bottom of the barrel laughing stock they are. Jim Benning actually blamed injuries for Brandon Sutter's poor performance this year despite the fact he played in 81 games (According to Jimbo he had a wrist injury and without it he'd have set a career high in goals! I wish I was making that up!)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I feel like every statement the Canucks have made recently suggests that they're not at all committed to a rebuild.

Yeah, this is the only instance in which anyone connected with the team has used the word and I've heard less forced admissions of infidelity:

Trevor Linden posted:

“Obviously we’ve been forthright in saying we’ve been transitioning as a team to a younger group and that was becoming a bit of a sticking point with some people. So to get alignment with our fans and our media I used the rebuild word today, which everyone can get their head around.

“If that word makes everyone happier then I’m more than happy to use it.”

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

A legitimate prospect, a first rounder, and a young DMan that underperformed last year but has big upside for a young center that under performed last year isn't as lopsided as you make it seem.

Also, you probably shouldn't stand outside for too long, you are going to start attracting deer.

If the stars align Sprong will have a handful of 40 point seasons in his career. That's if everything goes right. He's a good but not amazing prospect. If you can get a legitimate top line forward for him, you make that move in a second. Duchene had just completed a 67 point NHL season at the age Sprong is now.

Sprong was ranked 49th among prospects not in the NHL in February. He's like a B+ level type at best.

http://www.tsn.ca/test1-1.677389

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 29, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They have two RD making a lot of money. They're probably looking for LD.

They have two defencemen under contract at the moment. I don't think they can be picky about handedness. It's not like they're going to be a hot stop for free agents.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I don't disagree but paying 16 million for one side of your defense and needing to fill the other half through free agency is an awful idea.

They're in trouble no matter what happens, if they can get any sort of top-4 defenceman for Duchene they should take it. They can always ship Johnson or Barrie out to balance things. They need a complete gutting. MacKinnon, Rantanen, Jost and Barrie are the only guys worth keeping for the long haul.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Look Around You posted:

I don't think you can buyout mid season.

But then, I don't think you're reliably going to add someone that hefty during the regular season either.

You can't buyout during the season, but this make some sense. Cap space is cumulative, so rather than spending to the cap now Chia is giving himself a bit of freedom to make a move at the deadline. $2M today can mean adding $6ish of salary at the deadline. That's a good player as opposed to a depth guy.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Look Around You posted:

Is it? I thought only LTIR was cumulative?

Not really, the cap is actually calculated daily. Teams can never exceed the daily limit, but you can sorta "bank" extra money you don't spend for the future. The daily limit is the maximum cap ($75M) divided by the days in the season (~185). So teams can pay players around $400k a day during the season. It's calculated that way to account for players being called up and sent down, injuries and trades. That way you're only ever paying for what you actually get out the team rather than the theoretical maximum of their salary. That's why you see teams with $85M payrolls under a $70M cap by the end of the season (because they didn't actually pay the players they picked up at the deadline or put on LTIR the full amount of their contracts).

So at the deadline a team may have $2M is banked space, which means they could add a player with an annual salary of around $6M because they'd only have to pay the remaining third of his contract.

I found this old (2010ish) explanation on capgeek kinda helpful.

quote:

To understand how each team's cap count is calculated, think of a bank account. For the 2009-10 season, teams got a "deposit" of about $294,300 each day which they can spend on player salaries [$56,800,000 salary cap upper limit / 193 days in the season]. The difference left over is "payroll room," or the amount that has been "banked" for the future, if needed. "Payroll room" can never fall below zero, meaning teams can't borrow from the future to pay for today.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

They don't have aot of depth in the right side of their defense, and again they already had about 4 million in cap space factoring in max bonuses and Draisaitl getting around 8 million.

Bonuses come off the following year's cap so that's not an issue for 2017-18. The Oilers actually have a bunch more cap space than I thought with $18M left and only Drai left to sign. Assuming he gets $8Mish they're in good shape. That's kind of an odd decision, but I guess this is a wait and see/opening up a slot for a rookie thing? Maybe Chia has a big UFA contract lined up. That seems silly considering they'll be in cap hell next season.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kilza posted:

He was bad this season, but rather than keeping him to see if he bounced back (which I'd bet on) and trading him if he did, or at worst buying him out, just like with anybody that has a down year with the Oilers they went "OH poo poo HE'S USELESS NOW BETTER GET RID OF HIM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!"

Yeah that was a weird rear end moving considering they'll be paying Pouliot for 4 years instead of two or one if they'd waited a single year to buy him out. Here's hoping Chia has decided to regurgitate a heaping helping of money into Karl Alzner's mouth like a mother bird feeding the cuckoo in its nest.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I would take Jason Demers on that contract on the Canucks in a heartbeat (assuming we're not giving up a futures heavy package). He's a fantastic player.

The speculation is that the Panthers want Gudbranson back and I cannot begin to tell you how much I want that to be true. Please do it Jim. I will forgive you many past transgressions.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 29, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eddie no... :smith:

I'll say it again, the hockey gods have a personal dislike for me.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Weal gets 3.5 mil over two years 1.75 AAV

I am really impressed by Jim Benning's complete inability to lure Vancouver born players to the Canucks even with the ability to offer more money and ice time than anyone else. He is a supremely horrible general manager.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The contract deals for Anders Nilsson signing with the Canucks and Brian Elliott signing with the Flyers have leaked. Guess who's getting paid more? Hint: it's not the better player.

Nilson 2 years $3m per, Elliott 2 years $2.5m per.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So long as they're all short one or two year deals. I don't care. None of their prospects are ready for full time NHL action and jamming them into the lineup will lead to more Virtanen/McCann rush jobs. Inexpensive short term UFAs that can be moved at the deadline for picks and prospects are what this team needs. They are in a sorry sorry state.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tofes posted:

what a boring free agency

The promised frenzy of activity around the expansion draft, draft and free agency turned out to be a pretty serious letdown.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

i.e. Lockout proof

More specifically, unbuyoutable which could be a big issue down the line for the Habs.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Please poison your relationship with McDavid Chiarelli. Please.

Also

quote:

But when he’s finished, and he’s set for his life and on his own island, what will matter more? The money or the number of Stanley Cup rings he has won. 

What's more important? Safety and security for him and his family in the very tangible concept of money or the completely inconsequential and arbitrary idea that he might win more valueless trophies by being paid less? Hmmmmmmmmm really hard to say.

:lol:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What the hell?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This is the exact same thing that the Avs did with Iginla and that was a terrible idea. What is Lou doing?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Marleau's gonna be old and busted as gently caress when that contract is up but the Leafs have cap space like crazy in the future and people are overestimating what the big three are gonna cost imo.

Assuming that what the three of them did last year wasn't a mirage and they trend in the direction of players their age, you can reasonably expect them to cost $25m+ combined.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

I understand that, what I'm referencing is the people looking at the speculation over McDavid's deal and saying the Leafs need to gear up too. The way pundits are talking you'd think Matthews is getting $12M and Nylander/Marner are gonna get Toews/Kane money and I don't think that'll happen.

I agree it's unlikely those three turn out to be in that stratosphere. Even Toews and Kane didn't get there until their 3rd contracts. McDavid is a unique case and a bad comparable for other RFAs.

With that said, it seems ludicrous to me to start spending big money on older veterans at this point. The Leafs rebuild isn't over, not by a long shot. Hand waving away bad contracts because it doesn't matter now is what they used to do and it got them in trouble each time. It'll matter one day, maybe as early as next year.

One unexpectedly successful season on the strength of a half dozen great rookie performances isn't a trend. They're just as likely to come crashing back down next year and then big expensive free agents will seem like a huge waste of cap space that could be better leveraged as the team had been doing up to this point.

The Avs thought they were ready to compete a few years ago and brought in Iginla and now the team is a mess. They pivoted too soon. With the benefit of hindsight that much is obvious. I'm not saying this is an identical set of circumstances, but you can't ignore the parallels.

Big money free agents can supplement an established core looking to make the next step. They can be a giant boat anchor for teams not there yet. I think the Leafs are very much in the latter camp.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good soup! posted:

Top Shelf Hockey: Happy Birthday Jumbo!

Jumbo: OOOOOKAY PARDNER *rotates 180 degrees and rides mower off into horizon*

The entirety of Thornton's retirement plan involves riding that mower around in a big field from sun up to sun sun down smiling to himself. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Heliogabalos posted:

so CAS, what are the feels at the moment?

I am on board with what Benning has done so far this summer. He's finally accepted that we're not temporarily embarrassed contenders and has (seemingly) committed to incremental improvement over time. Most of the draft picks he made were solid from a percentages perspective, and all his free agent signings were stopgaps that keep the team from rushing young players into the lineup again and could potentially be flipped for assets in the future.

I don't mind that the team hasn't traded Tanev. Dallas' 3rd overall (or a similarly valued pick or prospect) is the only return that the team should've considered moving him for. He's not going anywhere and He pushes the rest of the defence down a spot which they very much need.No matter how you shake it, that back end is going to be subpar at absolute best. Worst comes to worst they can ice an Edler-Tanev pairing for 25 minutes a night because they know that works and keeps everyone else from being brutally exposed.

With that said, you're bang on when you say this team has no core to build around. They are steadily improving their prospect base, but there are no sure thing impact players in there. This is essentially year one of the rebuild, and even if everything went right with every u21 player they have that's not a top quality contender there. I love Horvat, but he's a depth player on a team with serious designs at winning a cup. It's more likely than not that the team has yet to draft a single part of their future core.

The team is going to be bad for a while. Likely very bad, but if these moves were done with that mindset (which seems to be the case) then the healing can begin. Whether the PP or PK is improved or not next year is largely irrelevant to me. What you see on the ice come October is going to bear little to no resemblance to what we'll see when the team is respectable again. Really the only things that matter next year are how the youngsters perform and if Green's system is one to keep moving forwards. A few percentage points here or there isn't going to markedly affect things over the long term.

If they play a fun, upbeat style I'll tune in. If they continue that dreadful trap style they employed under Willie then I won't. Daniel hitting 1000pts could very well be the only noteworthy moment of the 2017-18 Vancouver Canucks season.

• Locked thread