Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

HookShot posted:

Also it's going to take the Canucks a lot more than three years to be a good team again.

Reminder they'll still have 10 million in Brandon Sutter and Loui Erikson then.

I have my fingers crossed that they'll figure it out and be a bit less embarrassing by the early 20s, but I'm not holding my breath.

Schlesische posted:

So still riding that high from Luca Sbisa being selected by Vegas.

Benning almost succeeded in trading Gudbranson for Jason Demers. Like in real life, not a video game. I feel like I've stepped into an alternate universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

And then who do they saddle Ceci with?

Thomas Chabot, and in 5 months' time everyone will be wondering why he's having such a disappointing rookie season.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So is Kovalchuk the only interesting free agent left? The rest of the list is basically him, Cody Franson, Drew Stafford and Johnny Oduya.

Oh god we're into the horrible doldrums of the offseason aren't we.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

All these scrub-rear end guys getting picked #1 are all the answer you need to morons whining about "oh but tanking"

You don't always get Sid or Mario when you pick #1. Stop with this lottery poo poo or the even more ridiculous schemes people come up with

Forwards drafted first overall since Lemieux have averaged a career PPG of .867 and 6 out of those 23 have exceeded 1000 points (with Kane, McDavid and possibly Stamkos, Tavares and Matthews likely to get there). 3 players have had a career PPG less than .67 (Daigle, Stefan, Yakupov).

If you want a very, very good forward selecting first overall (and by extension tanking to do so) is a very much the answer.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

After taking a look at Marleau's stats over the last 3 years, he has not been especially good. Scoring rates peg him at a low-end second liner/good third liner getting largely undeserved first line minutes. He spent a bunch of time on the PK and was near league-worst in GA and CA/60 - almost as bad as Hyman, who has a completely undeserved reputation as a great PKer. Last season he barely managed to produce at a better rate than Komarov and Brown on the PP.

I was totally on board with doing the needful to get Hyman off the top line, but now I'm a little concerned. Also, Jeremy Roenick has led me to believe that his intangibles aren't very tangible.

Unlike Hyman, Marleau is almost a sure bet to get progressively (some might even say horrifically) worse over the length of his contract!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

McDavid has poo poo tons of potential, but is he the best

He just won the Hart and Pearson, so yes?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sounds like he got cowed into taking less money over the whole gotta take one for the team thing. Man, McDavid is so afraid of ever seeming like he is anything but a party man. That idiocy where he insisted the team practice on a CBA mandated off day pretty much sums him up. If management implies he's being even slightly selfish, he immediately backs down. Just once I'd like the NHL to have a superstar that isn't afraid to speak his mind or put himself first.

I think being voted the best player in the league by the media and your peers means you have a strong case for being called the best player in the league.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Oh man McDavid you're an idiot. Those 3 UFA years he sacrificed at that cap hit probably cost him $12-15M. He's going to regret that when he's 60.

What a lovely move by the Oilers too. They had a deal in place with McDavid's agent but they didn't love the number so sounds like they leaked it to the press in the hopes of shaming him into coming back to the table.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 5, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

congratulations to oilers management on tricking a guy who is barely not a teenager into taking 1 million less dollars per year and framing it as "McDavid was uncomfortable with 13.25 million but 12.25 million is fine" and also for getting him to sign for 8 years and forego the poo poo loads of money he'd get as a UFA

He is very much none too bright.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This is a reminder that many, many NBA players have taken max salary but not a single hockey player has done it ever because gee golly gosh they're just such down to earth farm boys gotta sacrifice for the team yes siree types.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

why in the gently caress do millionaire professional athletes willingly offer charity to billionaire owners

People are applauding McDavid for giving $6M (and in reality far more) back to a guy worth $4bn who just had the city of Edmonton spend $600m on a stadium for his personal use.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Pro athletes get paid on where they work.

Not every jurisdiction has a jock tax, but most do. It's quite complicated and at times on shaky legal grounds. Several journeymen have made extra money by filing their teammates' tax returns for them. Most athletes have a financial adviser and it's not difficult to write off a bunch of crap like TVs (for watching game tape) and hot tubs (for recuperation) as business expenses.

Taxes are obviously a major concern for players, but they can be minimized pretty easily with a decent accountant. Athletes are as susceptible to misinformation as anyone else and end up getting suckered into high fee investments. They're for the most part new money (Mike Comrie and Zach Hyman aside) and have little to no education or motivation to learn about their finances, and end up entrusting the myriad of predatory individuals who circle the rich and foolish. They go broke because of major overspending and getting swindled, not taxes.

You're dealing with uneducated farm boys who have no concept of where their money goes and get taken for a ride like this:

quote:

Consider some misleading facts: The average NHL career is five-and-a-half years long and the average NHL salary is $2.4 million. So the average guy should have a total of $13.2 million at the end of his playing days. That’s more than enough to live happily ever after.

In truth, it isn’t. Taxes take about half (if you take no evasive tax action), agent and management fees take 25 percent, and the NHL snatches another 20 percent to put in escrow, which the owners balance out at the end of the season. Sometimes, they use the players’ cash to help small-market teams. Sometimes we’d get a refund. But for The New Avery Rule purposes, consider it gone. So really, that $13.2 million becomes $660,000 — which is still a lot of money, but you have to make that last for the next 50 or 60 years because if you have a five-and-a-half year NHL career, you’ve retired at age 25 or 26.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/the-new-avery-rule/

Any excuse to post the New Avery Rule article because it's my favourite

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I miss hockey

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

Didn't most people figure out that Avery was either getting royally screwed somewhere along the lines or he was just plain being dumb because his interpretation of how much money they'd make isn't how it would work.

Haha yup. In no universe does 95% of your income disappear before living expenses. Agent fees are capped at 3% in the NFL/NBA and should be around the same in the NHL. If he's pay's paying 25% in agent and money management fees, he's either being robbed or paying into a ponzi scheme.

Average household income in the USA is roughly $52,000 a year. In Avery's universe that family would have $2600 (or $216 a month) to pay for housing, food, clothing and all other living expenses.

Also escrow is almost always returned to the players in full. It's also never been 20%.

Plus in no universe is anyone paying 50% taxes, especially not someone who made the bulk of his earnings in Texas.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

If his agent actually was taking that much I'm sure we'd have heard more about it.

Most likely Avery is just a gigantic moron and wrote that without consulting anyone smarter than him (literally just yell into any populated space, Sean) for the real math.

I don't begin to understand how he arrived at the 25% figure though. It's so outlandishly beyond what he would actually be paying that I have to assume he either 1) has literally no idea what he pays his agent and just pulled a figure out of his rear end or 2) he is paying something in that ballpark and has no idea how much he's getting ripped off.

Like 25% is more than 8 times higher than what it should be. That's like someone asking him "guess how many fingers I'm holding up" and Avery responding with 83.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 6, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

everyone likes sick dangles and dudes getting deked out of their skates

Speaking of which, I like Elias Pettersson for exactly those reasons

https://twitter.com/ryanbiech/status/883139480873443328
https://twitter.com/ryanbiech/status/883154256265527297
https://twitter.com/ryanbiech/status/883160140899246081

He was excellent in the prospects game last night and for a moment a solitary ray of sunshine burst through the gloomy canopy of my soul.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

a false posted:

those are cool but boy is that some indifferent defense on the first one

Oh yeah, it was a prospects game so the skill levels were incredibly varied and the pairings/lines had (for the most part) never played together before. You can't take too much away from it, but it was nice to see our top pick from this year be probably the best player (Adam Gaudette looked great too and he's starting to look like a serious top six level prospect). I'm far too used to Canucks first round picks coming in and immediately disappointing then watching while everyone makes excuses as to why that's the case for two years until they bust entirely.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Has Brian Burke ever done anything good? (Serious question)

From a hockey ops perspective, he pulled off the coup that led to the Canucks picking both Sedins at the 99 draft.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

And therefore won Boston a Cup by drafting cowardly women instead of strong Canadian boys.

Thank you, Brian Burke.

Yeah, I mean Kris Beech and Jamie Lundmark were just sitting there for him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This discussion reminds me of something I've been wondering: how much say does Brad Treliving actually have? I know he's the GM, but Burke is a known quantity and he's prez of hockey operations, so I feel like he supercedes any impulse Treliving has good or bad...

The whole concept of a President role for a team that acts as more than just a PR guy is fairly new in the NHL. You have a few teams like Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver that have a President that seems to call the shots over a GM, but to what extent they're actually involved in decision making seems to depend on the team. As a general rule, I'd say that Presidents are closely involved in the overarching decision making but steer clear of the grunt work. So someone like Burke probably says "lets make a run at Hamonic" then Treliving undertakes the bulk of negotiation and paperwork.

I very much doubt Burke has a say in the vast majority of transactions leaving things like the draft, lesser signings, smaller trades and such entirely up to Treliving. Bigger stuff probably requires his consultation, but Treliving can largely operate independent of him.

Basically Burke gets to jump in and do his bombastic Trump style closer thing when he feels like it, but can for the most part ignore the day to day running of a professional hockey team. He gets to take credit for big moves, but doesn't have to attend regular scouting meetings. In return, Treliving gets a lessened PR role and probably doesn't have to bother himself with appeasing ownership very often. It makes sense why you'd split a role as big as what the GM position can entail, it just means having to cede final authority on a bunch of key decisions and that can ruffle a few feathers when there's egos involved.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thufir posted:

I think it it probably varies by team too. Nashville's president (and CEO) is a sports management guy, not at all a hockey guy, so I'm sure he has very little input on hockey ops aside from budget.

Oh yeah, the President/CEO as a business role has been around for a while. Hockey teams are worth upwards of $1bn, it's just common sense to have someone overseeing that side of things. I'm strictly talking the situations where you have people like Shanahan and Linden in the President's role who are quite public about their involvement in hockey ops and have little to no business experience.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Fateo McMurray posted:

Did they do anything after 2011 or did the bruins kill them too

Nah, they cashed in on it and did a bunch of ads and wrote a book before retiring a few seasons later. Their hearts weren't in it after 2011 though (like myself and every other Canuck fan out there).

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 10, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gunjin posted:

It's vague as poo poo, but it's in there.

Yeah, I dunno what PPP was talking about there. Summer LTIR is very much a thing and has been since the first CBA. In terms of available cap space it's far better to figure out how to cram the injured guys onto your opening day roster and then throw them onto LTIR, but there's nothing stopping you from putting them on LTIR in the summer (except for the fact that you'd end up with a bit less additional cap space during the season).

T-Bone posted:

I am sentimental and would like to see Jagr sign with the Penguins.

I am also going to preemptively call anyone an idiot who thinks he can't keep up with fast forwards, game comes to Jagr, Jagr not come to game.

I would love to see the Canucks sign Jagr and put him with the twins to make the slowest, cyclist line in the history of the sport.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

LumpyGumby posted:

Just a reminder.

I had no idea it was possible to look pass the whole way on a breakaway.

Also if we're posting wonderful moments from cellar dwellers last season this one warmed the cockles of my jaded Canucks heart:

or how the Canucks and Eriksson opened the season on home ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt9KxLBfB50

What a year.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 12, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Fine with me, if he makes it they can do the 9 games thing? Or is he old enough for the AHL? Jensen hosed off to Russia and Hartford could probably use the help after losing Hrivik.

I'm really liking both he and Chytil. Seems like GMJG and Co did a good job.

There's no 9 game tryout for European players. He can play in the AHL straight away if the team likes. However, unless he's loaned back to Europe the first year of his ELC will be burnt up regardless of whether he plays in the NHL or AHL.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

God I hope PK does a Cameo on that show somehow.

I had no idea I wanted PK on Curb until today but now I really, really do.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm loving the new Twin Peaks but I think I might be even more excited for the new season of Curb. And yes, it'd be pretty great to see PK on there.

I still haven't gotten around to watching the new Twin Peaks (mostly because while good, I've never considered the original as amazing as people seem to think it is) but I have a bunch of friends who go on about how incredible it is. I'm far more excited for Curb though and watching Larry David dance around the concept of a black hockey player would be just perfect.

I can dream. I can dream.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Habibi posted:

"Bad" is also somewhat subjective. The Marleau contract is bad. But in Toronto it's fine.

Not really no, bad is bad regardless of the position the team is in. The whole "horrible contracts don't matter when you have lots of cap space!" thing is so short sighted. They can afford him now, but in a season or two that can quickly transition to an expensive mistake. It's not like cap space has to be spent or it goes sour. The Leafs are hardly at a point when they can assume that the playoffs are a given. They may well be in a position where they're sellers at the deadline again, and that extra $6M could be spent on taking on a bad contract as they've done several times before. Conversely they could be a 110 point team and that extra cap space could easily be spent on a bit of depth that would contribute far more than Marleau will. I can assure you that next year when they have to watch JVR walk as a UFA to keep Marleau's purifying corpse on the roster it'll sting a fair bit.

Just because you have enough cash now to pay for a $20,000 Bulgari watch doesn't mean it's a sensible financial decision when you're thinking about buying a house in the next couple years

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

In 2019-20 they have $10m in cap hit tied up in 40-year-old Patrick Marleau, Matt Martin, and Phil Kessel. Even without factoring in the cap space, those are probably two roster spots who they're going to want to fill with better/younger players since that's around when they might start competing for real.

Not to mention they already pissed away a bunch of cap space by being forced to LTIR guys in the summer instead of once the season began just to get everyone signed. That's cap mismanagement at its worst.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

The Leafs immediately pivoting to win now status and signing Marleau to that absurd contract definitely seems like the type of thing that can come back to bite them in the rear end.

They signed 3 guys to 35+ deals. That's crazy to me.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Why do you think that? Like, there are more cost efficient options out there, but Zach Hyman was fourth on the team in ATOI last year so they did need another top 6 winger who killed penalties, and Marleau's contract is set up so that he's probably only gonna play two years for the Leafs. They overpaid for a necessary upgrade — they didn't mortgage anything.

They didn't give up physical assets, but cap space is a commodity in and of itself. Considering JVR's contract is up in a year's time, it probably means the team can no longer fit him in under the cap. Is one year of Marleau worth losing JVR next summer? I'd argue no.

He's also on a 35+ contract so the full amount counts against the cap if he retires early. The only relief they can get is to buy him out.

Actually its been confirmed that 35+ players do not get salary relief if bought out. Marleau will cost the Leafs the full $6.25M per year he is owed regardless of whether he is bought out, retired or put on LTIR.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 17, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Also he has a full NMC which kinda tanks the conspiracy theories about trading the contract.

Yeah, the Leafs are stuck with the full weight of that contract.

You'd think after

Brett Lebda
Mike Komisarek
Jeff Finger
Colby Armstrong
Jason Blake
Tim Connolly
David Clarkson
Stephane Robidas
Matt Martin

they'd maybe give it a moment's pause before signing an older dude to a big money UFA deal for no good reason, but I guess not.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Colour me surprised that the city that can't afford police coverage for large swaths of its outlying districts but got swindled into spending $500m on a new hockey arena couldn't find a structural engineer capable of properly calculating the load bearing weight of its roof.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

lol if you think ads on jerseys aren't coming to every league sooner than later

The NBA is calling this a three year "experiment" but considering teams are getting $8-10M a year it's going to be announced as a huge success and rolled out league wide afterwards. I imagine the NHL will shift to ads next year. It's no coincidence that all the Adidas jerseys were redesigned to remove piping and leave large blank patches over the collarbone.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

iospace posted:

My problem with on-ice ads? How busy the ice looks :ughh:

And I say this as a racing fan.

Yeah I'd prefer they slathered the jerseys in ads before they do that to the ice. I've been to ECHL and junior games where the puck just disappears at certain times as it crosses a darker logo. Considering one of the biggest criticisms of the sport for new fans is the difficulty of tracking the puck, it's the last thing the league should be considering.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

While not as robust as the NFL, the NHL has had revenue sharing since 2005.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Athletic has been seriously aggressive with expansion and hiring some pretty prominent writers. Do they have some big corporate backer I'm unaware of, because there's no way they're profitable at the moment.

THN has its annual Front Office Confidence Poll out, so Red Wings fans you can vent your wrath by giving Holland straight 1s.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 21, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

a false posted:

yeah gently caress i couldn't help it

:mad:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

iospace posted:

So you're trying to get people to wood chip jerseys to spite people instead of burning?

amazon doesn't sell gasoline. Plus throwing a Rangers jersey through a shredder would make a delightful blue and red confetti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Arvidsson makes less than Bradon Sutter

• Locked thread