Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
is nashville letting mike fisher walk. also is cbj letting sam gagner walk. i'd take either of them on a short deal

thornton too, but not for 5m+ and not for over 2 years. ditto marleau

oh i'd also take bonino, if he were available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Zodijackylite posted:

I would also like a lot of good players for under market value, but I really hope the Rangers go wild in trying to acquire good players under age 27. Considering the going rate for guys like Hall, Eberle, and Hamonic, I'm hoping they work some magic with someone like Galchenyuk or Mackinnon or Landeskog.

Please no more old guys. Shattenkirk is cool because he'll turn 35 at the very end of a seven year deal, which is also two years after the CBA expires. They've got the cap room to sign him in the 7m range.

i'd love to pull in one of those guys also, but i'm not enamored of the price we'd have to pay to do so. if next year's draft is as good as they say it is i don't want to drop a first, and i don't think we really have anyone on the roster that is worth moving with the exception of hayes*, and even if we moved him we'd still need a stopgap to fill one of our center positions. an old dude who can still play on a short deal would be a good way to fill out one of those C holes, i think.

that being said neither gagner are bonino are very old

*i, personally, would like to trade chris krieder for value but i think that's unrealistic. the organization obviously loves him and sees him as a cornerstone guy. i personally don't think he contributes very much and would be a prime sell high candidate, but i strongly doubt that will happen.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Andreychuk would be an embarrassing induction.

yeah don't elaborate on that statement or anything, just throw it out there and expect people not to argue. that's the good and cool way to make points

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

bewbies posted:

Andreychuk was a one dimensional winger whose best seasons were spent tapping in back door power play goals from Lafontaine and Gilmour. That said I do not know if this qualifies him for the hall of fame as I do not understand how the hall of fame works.

here's how it works: arbitrarily, just like any similar thing in any realm

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

bewbies posted:

neely was way, way better

[citation needed]

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

bewbies posted:

50 goals in 49 games and also actually made all star teams, four times in fact.

so for a really brief peak, neely was a better player than andreychuk. i'd wager that andreychuk was the better player for at least 12 years

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

bewbies posted:

Andreychuk was a one dimensional winger whose best seasons were spent tapping in back door power play goals from Lafontaine and Gilmour. That said I do not know if this qualifies him for the hall of fame as I do not understand how the hall of fame works.

also if you're going to use this argument and then say neely was that much better you should probably note that neely had ray bourque and adam oates playing alongside him during his best goal scoring years, who are 4th and 7th, respectively, all time in assists

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

bewbies posted:

Well probably, I don't know how good Neely was after he didn't have knees anymore and retired.

Playing 1600 games or whatever andreychuk did is a terrific accomplishment that I'm not trying to minimize but arguing he was a better player than Neely is pretty stupid, and if you're going to go after guys who actually don't belong in the hall can we please start with Gillies?

In conclusion Geoff Sanderson belongs in the hall.

my point is i don't really see why the gradual accrual of stats over a long successful career as a good player is that highly valued over a player amassing a lot of points in a short amount of time and then flaming out. i think you could absolutely argue that a player who made 20 years of solid contributions had more absolute value as a player than a guy who only had 4 or 5. the idea of one player being Obviously Better than another player becomes so arcane at a certain point that it is by its own nature inherently false (the 'obviously' in particular) unless your example is something like gretzky vs ... i don't know, a player who was not that great. john druce. whatever.

another example: i think the idea of people saying hasek was "obviously" better than brodeur is dumb as hell. yes, hasek as his peak was an absolute marvel in a way that brodeur never was at any given point. but let's say brodeur and hasek were the same age and eligible for the draft in the same year. if you could see into the future from that point exactly how their career arcs were going to go, which one would you pick? i'm probably going with brodeur.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

ThinkTank posted:

I don't think there's much debate about that anymore. Hasek is hands down the best goaltender to have every played.

see, the "hands down" is what rankles me here. there's no definitive measure here, whether it's best at peak, best over span of career, best for most years, or whatever. also, none of us ever saw george hainsworth or georges vezina or whoever play. i guess you could try to disqualify early 20th century guys because the position and game generally were less developed at that point, but can you state objectively that those players would not have been able to adapt to modern technique?

my point is there's no "hands down" and there never will be. you can have your arguments for who your favorite is and who you think is best, but there's nothing to point to with hasek that can't be argued against.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

haha... ahhh

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Wonderllama posted:

remember when the rangers chose girardi over stralman?

wonderllama remembers.

haha yeah! i do remember that.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Kilza posted:

Everybody knows Dan Girardi is going to Detroit, all other fanbases can settle down.

are the wings sure they wouldnt rather have marc staal? don't even need to negotiate a contract with him, he already has one!!

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

lol gently caress jeremy jacobs

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i think we can all agree that no matter how you feel about dave andreychuk, jeremy jacobs is by far the worst inclusion in this hhof class

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I mean I guess he probably gives money to foundations but that's basically every owner, I assume

rich people love tax writeoffs

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
it's cool that kariya and selanne are going into the hall together. maybe they were always waiting for that

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

ElwoodCuse posted:

Has he owned the Bruins for that long? I mean, shitbags like Charles Comiskey are in the baseball hall but he not only founded the White Sox but also helped form the American League in general.

he's owned them since 1975, which is a long time, but gently caress him, he hasn't accomplished anything important as an owner. one stanley cup, fuckin bravo. i guess not allowing the team (an original six team with a built in fanbase, mind you) to fold despite toiling in mediocrity for so long is somehow a mark in his favor? gently caress him.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

corn on the cop posted:

First-time eligibles in 2018:

Martin Brodeur, Martin St. Louis, Sergei Gonchar, Kimmo Timonen

brodeur seems like the only lock there to me. not sure if msl is first ballot, not sure if the others ever make it

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Zodijackylite posted:

In what world is MSL not a first ballot hall of famer? He was really good for a long time, won the Hart and Pearson and Art Ross in his best year, continued to be great for a decade, won another Art Ross, and was on five year-end All-Star teams. He also won a cup at the beginning of that run and Olympic gold at the end.

He was one of the best players in the game for a long time and has all the accolades to show for it.

listen i love msl and i think he should be a hall of famer easily because of how dominant he was when he finally established himself (which took a while compared to a lot of other players) but 1033 total points and only 391 goals doesn't stack up favorably to a lot of guys who never made it and probably never will. when you adjust for era it looks better, but still not what i'd consider first ballot numbers or accolades. although, as someone mentioned before, first ballot isn't that big of a deal in the nhl when compared with, say, mlb.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

Have to think if they re-sign Smith they're not really in on Shattenkirk. Lotta money to tie up in the defense for a long time

you do realize this is the rangers right

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Ginette Reno posted:

He's so bad now though that he probably needs a coach to completely break his game down and remake him into something else and I don't know if any team has the patience to do that.

ak bars kazan

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Technetium posted:

Bring Yak to Toronto and have him play with the young fast guys in Babs' all fast all offense system and see what happens. Worse comes to worse Josh Leivo outplays him and we waive him. Best case is he finds chemistry with one of the rookies and lights it the gently caress up.

that... kinda seems like a good idea

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

I think I'd be totally happy with re-signing Smith (DAS collectively takes a horrified gasp) as long as the contract isn't too dumb. He was pretty much a perfect 2nd pairing guy with Skjei last year.

Shattenkirk? Maybe if they have some plan to move Staal to free up that space the it wouldn't be too bad to have them all signed there, but otherwise like I said that's a lot of money tied up in defense and Skjei is up for a new contract after this season as well. I would be much more happy with some kind of defensive configuration that had Holden as the 3rd pair left D and one of the guys they signed playing the right side (Bereglazov, Pionk, etc)

the problem with that is that we have no idea if either bereglazov or pionk can be a competent nhl defenseman yet. ditto graves if you wanna throw him in there too.

also deangelo's sample size was small last year but his shot suppression was about as low as it can possibly be. you need to shelter him, at least for now, and not give him second pair minutes.

i agree that we should get rid of staal and his contract, but realistically don't you think that would have happened already if it was going to happen at all?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Zodijackylite posted:

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Smith
Holden-Deangelo

and then all the guys with no NHL experience.

It's not that hard, assuming that 20m in cap space is awaiting Shattenkirk.

yeah i'd like that to be the play but unfortunately it seems like they actually want to keep, and use, marc staal

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i always thought gryba was bad but it seems like his underlying numbers are actually halfway decent

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Matt Zerella posted:

Friedman is saying the Rangers and Smith are close to a deal :ohdear:

under 4 please come on

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

gonna be between 4 and 5 I think. It's going to be high but "poo poo that's absolutely terrible" high

I think Smith was good so I'm not all broken up about it as long as the term is like 4 years

i mean, i guess it's better than the staal/girardi contracts. at least he doesn't appear to be freefalling in terms of his efficacy... yet

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i'd personally want to lock him up for more than 8 years. i mean, you're screwed in the event of catastrophic injury, but that's true for anybody, right?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

tofes posted:

Is Kovy any good still anyway?

he was 3rd in the khl in goals and 2nd in points last year. granted, one of the people ahead of him in goals was nigel dawes, and he was playing on a stacked team, but it would appear as though he's got plenty of life left in him. also his numbers were way up from the last few years

e: looking up those khl numbers sort of makes me wonder if dawes could cut it in the nhl now if he came back for another go, but i guess he has kazakh citizenship now (and plays on the kazakh national team!) and i guess he probably wouldn't want to leave

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i personally wouldnt hire a person to a managerial position if his playing career ended when he got his dick stuck in a snowblower

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

4x4 was basically what i was expecting, and i would be perfectly ok with that.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

god I'm so happy that the Rangers bought out Girardi and have been spending their time acquiring mobile defensemen

i'm also happy for that but we still need at least one more good one, and we also need to get rid of staal

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Matt Zerella posted:

Mirtle apparently saying Holden is on the move. Between that and Klein possibly retiring, I'm feeling even better about the Smith contract.

that would be good but we still really need to stop having marc staal before i can be happy

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Matt Zerella posted:

I've got some bad news for you buddy...

well i've never been happy before, so at least i'm used to it

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

good on us signing smith at that contract. i like it.

now i want thornton and shattenkirk

i want shattenkirk and i'd be happy with thornton on a short contract for relatively cheap, but i want neither of them as much as i want marc staal to be gone

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Matt Zerella posted:

If the rumor that LA is offering multiple years to Thornton is true that's a big pass from me.

if the multiple that we're talking about is "2" then i'm ok with that. but everyone's been saying thornton wants 3

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Hand Knit posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffMarek/status/880424322397024257

He's before my time, but there has always been a soft spot in my heart for people like him and Gino Odjick.

speaking of gino odjick, i was surprised to find out that apparently he is healthy now :unsmith:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

id be perfectly happy if the rangers signed him cheap for a couple years. he's a good bottom 6 player still

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

keeps being rumored that Vladimir Tkachev is at least going to attend Rangers training camp...he bought out his KHL contract and was supposed to be at the prospect camp they're having now but had visa issues. Could be interesting, very skilled and still young, put up good numbers in the KHL last season. Pretty slight though. Also a winger, don't know how that would pan out when teh Rangers need centers unless there are more moves to be made this summer

trade kreider for galchenyuk and watch montreal burn to the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Kilza posted:

Friedman wrote something involving the UFAs, and:

Girardi is headed to Tampa? Not Detroit? What is this?

how you like them apples wonderllama

• Locked thread