Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hand Knit posted:

Anyway, I think that talking about cap space in this way is already a bit of a move from the original discussion, which was whether the Marleau signing represented the Leafs trying to go all in or skip the rebuild or something to that effect. To say that they didn't really give anything up to sign Marleau, in the context of the conversation, is probably best taken along the lines of "they didn't trade picks or prospects for anyone." Like sure they could've gotten a comparable player to Marleau for, like, 2.5/1 or something, but burning cap space is not the same as trading futures.

We'll see if they're buying or selling at the deadline. Good that they didn't waste any assets now, but what happens when they've got a tenuous holding on a wc spot at the deadline and old man lu decides he needs another Marleau type player to push them over the edge? I would assumed restraint and patience (given their stage of the rebuild), but with the cash and term they were willing to throw was Marleau, who knows what assets might come into play.

All that said, it's pretty pointless to speculate this far out based one one dumb signing. Depending on their play next season, any number of hypotheticals couple play out. Just hard not to default to :lol:eafs give the last like 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Any excuse

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Takes him through his prime and if he keeps putting up 20-25 it ain't bad value. Sucks he's stuck in that poo poo town on that poo poo team tho.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It'll be his next contact at 6x6 or whatever that'll suck. And yes, holland will still be around.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Please don't remind me that Nill gave NMCs to everyone loving dude he signed this offseason.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It's cool to be a dick to Canadians before ever playing a single game. Not like they watch much hockey anyway.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol, enjoy your healthcare for the next few weeks.

Yeah, Canadians will still go to the games regardless but there's definitely a market for pissed off fans of poo poo Canadian teams to buy that sweet Vegas merch.

E: sorry

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I just think it's not the best policy to rip on potential customers. Sorry I hit a nerve.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It's okay, I DM'd them and they apologised. We won't have to worry about them hurting feelings on the internet anymore.

You're welcome, Canadians.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I know he's old as time, but gotta think there should be decent interest in Markov for the right price. Had the stars saved a bit of cap spaced this offseason, I'd have loved to see Nill throw a couple mil his way.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So he's perfectly serviceable, better than at least half their current crop, and willing to sign for one year. Oh, and they have the cap space and he put up good, consistent numbers. And he's been a hab for life and is being forced to retire.

That's impressively dumb and mean.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Well, we do have two years of sample on panarin. I mean, he ni longer has Kane on his line, but he isn't exactly an unknown quantity.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Martytoof posted:

I wish I could stand up for my principles and stop watching hockey because I don't like a thing, but we all know that's not going to happen.

It didn't happen with PK and it probably should have
It didn't happen with the Olympics and it probably should have
It didn't happen with Markov and ehh I guess maybe this wouldn't have done it, but still.

Just pick a different, more fun team to follow. The grass is greener. Victory Greener.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Parker Lewis posted:

Binghamton Devils unveiled their logos today:

I think they look nice, but as a Rangers fan (who grew up with the Binghamton Rangers) I am having trouble coming to terms with the hometown team being the Devils.

These are fun. Last one seems a bit out of place but it's still cool.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Last year was a wash but the final day of the season in 2015-2016 when Benn scored the empty netter then assisted on Daily's goal is a good watch. You only really need the last ten mins of the period.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That Montréal game where one team scored 10 goals.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That Colorado defence is amazing.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jones is legit. Werenski looks great but like one season of pro experience. He'll almost certainly regress. Whole team will, but I can still see them pushing for 100 points. Then again, some bad goaltending/injury and lovely luck could see them regress to a bubble team.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

A good post. It's really sad to see an attempt--even if slightly misguided--to try something new and fresh reversed everything in like under a year.

Oh, well, guess we can all switch to following the coyote experiment. They seem to be giving chayka time to work his magic, even if he's under financial constrains.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Isn't it an anderson bad year coming up? And yeah, if EK is out for 10 games in a row they lose 10 games in a row.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It's like having a stroke while looking at paint swatches.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, imma jump on the anecdote train and say I know multiple people that got into hockey because of the Olympics; specifically Canada USA matchups.

Also, the Stars signed that brother of that cool Olympian chick to a year and some money.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Stars are saying gently caress you to Texas republicans by opposing the bathroom bill despite its slim chances of becoming law.

That's cool, I guess.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I love that ea is like "cool likeable athletes" and everyone involved in pro hockey be like "nah, if else nah"

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Russell and Lucic for 10m. Better run another first out of town.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Howard.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jamwad Hilder posted:

i will be sending DMs every day to the Bruins twitter account asking them to tell sweeney to sign pastrnak either until am blocked or a deal is completed. i will become a thorn in the side of management. i will be labeled internally as "a disgruntled fan"

Same but I'll talk about how much he likes to party.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mike Works posted:

http://www.tsn.ca/1.836909.1503495945

RED WINGS' ATHANASIOU WEIGHING KHL OFFER #TSN

heh

And everyone still refuses to even consider an offer sheet. Ridiculous.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah people talk like playing to 40 is something that's tough but attainable, but it's like living to 100. There are select examples of it happening, but for even the best conditioned individuals it's rare.

Age is a completely unavoidable part of an athlete's career, but at the same time entirely predictable in the most straightforward way. That's why signing players to multi year 35+ contracts is so crazy to me. You're essentially betting on 100 to 1 or worse odds that they'll remain even 70% effective as they were in the few years prior to that.

No matter how much you may admire a player as an athlete and an individual, there is a steep cliff after the mid 30s that with alarmingly few exceptions everyone tumbles down. It's a fact of life, and yet time and again GMs act like they've figured out the secret formula and throw huge contracts at guys who are washed up before the ink is dry.

But what if the team can justify it because they have cap space? Plus, if a player still produces* at, say, 37, why not expect that to continued for, say, 3 more years?

* sort of

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Levitate posted:

I mean it's possible some teams have sent him an offer but he hasn't accepted it. You'd think such a thing would leak but you never know.

Tru. The fact that we basically never hear about them being offered and rejected, or even rumours of them being offered makes me think gms just ignore them altogether. Which is dumb.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

DJExile posted:

Because he's not worth it. He's a fine player but let's not pretend he's some mega game breaking talent.

He isn't worth a 2nd or a 3rd? Or do you mean acquiring a player like AA isn't worth becoming the target of Ken Holland's ire? If it's the latter, is any player worth it ever? Decent player, probably at a reasonable price tag, team can't afford to retain him, and receiving gm probably doesn't have a job this time next year (for the specific reasons that let to them not being able to afford a promising young player).

I don't see the risk here other than being I guess forever blackmailed by all other gms. If that's the case, they should just ditch offer sheets altogether, since they'll clearly never be used again.

Fake edit: I get the reasons for not approaching stars with sheets. They're stupid reasons, but I get them. This situation seems almost customer made for an offer sheet. Team can't afford him, compensation wouldn't be egregious or hard to swallow, might over pay a bit but isn't a bug money contract, helps a team with cap problems, gives the player some agency, encourages the movement of lesser pieces to shake things up, Ken Holland is an idiot, etc.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pick. A second. And I'm more arguing that if this isn't a scenario to sign a sheet I don't really see one. Might as well just get rid of the idea altogether at this point.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

DOOMocrat posted:

Victory green is a massive improvement, even if the logo could be better.

Done

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Winnipeg has seemed like an emergent-to-prettygood team on paper and has been fun to watch and not obviously bad outside of goaltending for like 2-3 seasons.

I think it's this:

Mind_Taker posted:

Honestly they should can Paul Maurice

Outside of the very best and comical awful, I don't think coaches have as much impact on a team as they're often credited (in the regular season at least) but I think this is a case where a team is really being held back by stagnant coaching and shiiiit special teams and discipline.

Plus, Maurice always has that stupid smug, too cool for this, barely paying attention look on his face. gently caress that guy.

E:

Muuuuuuuaaahahhh, I guess I'll answer a question. Gosh.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 25, 2017

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Leafs are gonna be good though

MLSE will find a way.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

To be poo poo.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

DJExile posted:

Sid's going to get an 11 point game on vegas because they suck.

He'll get 12 if he's motivated.

They don't play until December 14 so there's like a 60 percent chance his brains will have completely leaked out of his ears by then.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

You mean Boston, right? And does that mean that when Seguin scores the cup winning goal this year that it's also really a Boston cup? loving Boston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Known child molester might be dead in a ditch somewhere? Yeah, I'm okay with that.

• Locked thread