Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ZZZorcerer posted:

Somehow Skeletor came to this world via space-time fuckery

Skeleton / Paradox Mage
This is perfect.

Also, are you going to run this similar to the previous thread as a contribute-your-own Megathread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

quote:

This store sells pickaxes and lights. Having a pickaxe in your inventory allows you to use the Dig talent to remove a diggable wall, although the long cooldown means you can only effectively use it outside of combat. They can also be equipped in the tool slot for their other miscellaneous bonuses.
I almost always buy a cheap pickaxe the first time I visit a town. You can usually get one to drop at some point, but Dig is sufficiently useful that it's worth dumping 15-20 gold to grab one.

Also, it's not really a 'cooldown' per se - you can use Dig over and over again...it's just Dig takes a full 20 turns (or whatever) to complete the action.

PurpleXVI posted:

there's also a couple of things that can pop up on the list that literally only spawn in one zone the entire game, or two if you're starting as a Yeek
You can also be hosed over by 'alt' versions of the zones - some of the one-zone only enemies *also* only appear in the normal version of the zone, not the alt. Most notably, Luminous Horrors and their related cousins only appear in normal Lake of Nur or a vault which may or may not pop up.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

If you start as an undead Paradox Mage/TW, do you actually get the Point Zero teleport or do you basically miss that entire town? I mean, obviously you're not missing anything in skipping a level 1 dungeon (plenty of other Tier 1 dungeons), but it seems really weird to not have the class-specific town available.

PurpleXVI posted:

Also yes, the Creepy Birthing Warrens are still gone. They fitted, fluff-wise, but the descriptions were... lemme put it this way, to anyone who didn't see them. The final boss was described as "covered in quivering vulvas" or something similar. The only issue with removing them is that now the entire western half of the East has literally only one dungeon, which is a shame. That continent really needs more content.
I wouldn't say it need more content, as much it needs more *variety* in the content, because the main dungeons on that continent are essentially identical and repetitive. Re-do those dungeons to all be actually interesting and it would seem drastically better even if the actual number of dungeons was unchanged.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Anorithil: Basically you build around Corona and an endless parade of crits to just whittle enemies down. You are never going to do some BIG NUMBER damage, but you do a lot of little numbers that add up.

Alchemists are just about pumping your Golem and Bombs, plus use Staff Mastery as a spammable attack. Not too much here honestly.

The rest are way more complex. Arcane Blade in particular is such a difficult class to play that I'm stunned it's still unlocked by default because it's basically suicide for newbies. That said, if you can make it work, it's ridiculously strong damage output, like "one-shot bosses" level of strong.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Are you not supposed to play cornac arcane blades? I've never really played with the class.
It's fine.

It's just that if you can't make it past the same place over and over and over and over again and don't find it fun ... well maybe juuuuuust maybe you should try one of the other 40 classes or other 20 races?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The perfect information system is an interesting point of discussion. I never played any of the true original roguelikes in their prime...but from what I've seen, it looks like they were still heavily reliant on player knowledge - if you didn't have a good idea what a boss enemy did (through previous runs), you got yourself into deep poo poo. So you still needed a similar level of information, it's just that the game didn't provide it - it all had to come from your experience and memory.

I personally prefer having the information at my fingertips but can definitely see why just being handed what you need to know might seem shallow to a veteran of the classics.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 14, 2017

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I've been mostly playing Normal, but I ventured into Nightmare recently, and somehow it actually feels a bit easier than Normal? I'm not sure if it's just luck or what.

Are you switching classes? Running a great class on Nightmare is easier than running, like Bulwark, on Normal.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Inadequately posted:

Once the timer hits zero, Shasshhiy’Kaish the demon queen is summoned at the monolith where the first cultist was killed. Her power scales with the number of monoliths activated (and thus, inversely with the number of cultists killed). However, the reward she gives also scales with her power – if you want the best loot, it’s best to kill just one cultist and wait.

quote:

Defeating Kryl-Feijan is one of the requirements for the useless Bloodspring prodigy.
Defeating Sassy and Kyrl in the same game are also part of the requirements to unlock the Doomelf race for use. It's a fairly interesting race, so it's probably worth doing.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Either I wiped that section from memory or I never ran into it.
It's fairly easy to miss since it requires you to do the Dark Crypt, then succeed at killing the Corruptors (can be difficult), then keep her alive afterwards (extremely difficult if you don't abuse tunnelling).

There's also no real in-game rewards for the questline. Unless you're trying to unlock Doomelf (as mentioned before) or you're using a mod to put it on the map, you're usually far better off just ignoring the whole Dark Crypt period. It's a total deathtrap.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Inadequately posted:

Looks like Orc Psyshot and Orc Gunslinger are currently tied. I'm going to break the tie myself and go with the Psyshot because Gunslingers are about as interesting as a rock.

Update will be up sometime in a day or two, hopefully.
I would have voted for Psyshot if I hadn't missed the vote, so this is perfect.

Do you have any plans to show off the demon content from that expansion? Or is that far enough in the future you haven't really thought about it till after Embers?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wait, so if you pick doomelf (what are they again?) you are forced into the demon campaign or what?
Yes but it's not really a true campaign per se. It's the alternate starting zone and then that level-20ish zone you just saw. Everything else follows the main Age of Ascendancy campaign the LP just showed off.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Huh. So this Embers stuff isn't a fully fledged campaign? Because it seemed like it was building up for some big stuff; I was expecting raids into demon lands, maybe teaching them the power of love or some such.

Maybe some deific fratricide?
Point of clarity: Embers of Rage refers to the Orc campaign that the psyshot is going through. Which is a full-fledged expansion campaign about 20% shorter than the main AoA campaign that Skeletor ran through.

The demon stuff (Ashes of Urh'Rok) is not a full-fledged campaign, just a couple of zones that all Doomelves, Demonologists, and Doombringers go through. It's priced accordingly though - like half the cost of the Embers expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

But is it possible, on any difficulty?
Yes, though probably not as psyshot since it's a weapon based class, so your damage really relies on gear. Something like Archmage or Paradox Mage probably could because most of their damage comes from their raw stats.

Also, FWIW, someone on the official forums apparently has a verified victory on Nightmare/Adventure with an Archmage with zero skill points spent - relying exclusively on effects from items, infusions and the tool slot.

• Locked thread