Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

poop is basically self-touching at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

autonomous poop

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nope, just housekeeping

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ThePeavstenator posted:

explanation I gave over the weekend for what encryption is: "imagine a lock and key, but they're made of math"

great work

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

msft uses fuzzing a lot, it's a little surprising that they missed a part of their AV kit

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

though they weren't fuzzing IE as of 2007, after the big internal push, so who knows

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if you want to avoid notpetra, why not just patch to current? does it use undisclosed vulns?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

underflow, I think

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

we just hired a research associate and administrator at my firm, and MLIS degrees were a huge asset for candidates.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JewKiller 3000 posted:

maybe the search engines, but you're not gonna get full text papers from the journals without paying, are you?

yes, you are

syscall girl posted:

waving around a piece of wood

please text me promptly

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JewKiller 3000 posted:

the best thing about cs academia is

arxiv

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

there's a new opsec thread, but I think you're on topic here fwiw

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

win-win

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

huh, yeah

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

force them to use two specified characters in their password, and they can't reuse. forbid numbers for even better odds against reuse.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

from the schadenthread, emphasis mine

Raygereio posted:

Remember that WannaCry ransomware attack from last may? Afterwards the company I work for pushed out an internal memo telling all employees not to worry and that such attack could never hit us.

And then they got hit by NotPetya last Tuesday. I had a couple of days off so I didn't pay that much attention to it. But when I arrived at work this morning I was greeted by the cheerful message that production wasn't affected that badly and that the lines could still run the last few days. But supplies will run out Monday and we'll probably have to stop production Sunday because no one can open the doors of the warehouses the finished products are supposed to go to.
The IT department never applied the goddamned patches for the EternalBlue exploit to all the vulnerable machines. Apparently the US based corporate headquarters was still working the costs before they would give the go ahead to apply those upgrades. When I informed about the status of their backups, the questioned IT-goon gave me a thousand yard stare, mumbled something incomprehensible and quickly walked away. Currently the crisis team's best guess is that critical stuff will be fixed in two weeks.
This is one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world. :shepface:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"things I won't work with"

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2014/10/10/things_i_wont_work_with_peroxide_peroxides

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ate all the Oreos posted:

"hospital" and "end of life" in the same sentence :ohdear:

I only do palliative software maintenance

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a friend in public sector strategic consulting who says the difference between "infosec" and "cyber" in his materials is 5 speaking engagements and $250K/year.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

people were offering to cyber on ICQ in 1997

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JS has been the assembly of the web for a long time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phone posted:

the permissiveness of wildcard certs was kind of a determining factor to set up lets encrypt in the first place, iirc

that's not my understanding. what do you have in mind?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Swapping out an existing cert with one that has more alt-names on it is maybe a 2 hour process and wildcard certs are just a crutch for lovely admins that don't want to do that.

I don't think alt-names are a solution for something like slack that dynamically generates hostnames. A 2-hour process is a long time if you have a lot of machines, especially if you provision new addressable systems frequently.

Why would wildcard certs be used across multiple servers more than alt-name ones? If people are going to re-issue for every server, they can do that with a wildcard too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes if only the same use case wasn't already being tackled by load balancers. Pre-allocate a poo poo ton of alt-names in the cert ahead of time and if you start running out then do some more. All that can and should be automated.

Slack generates the names to match the name selected by the community, it's not something you can preallocate.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

is lets encrypt cert generation not immediate? what is the 2 hour delay? also if you have that much a problem you can provision names prior to provisioning hosts to solve the problem.

if the goal of wildcard certs is ease of deployment, then why not include them in your machine templates instead of generating them on the fly? if you have the capability to generate on the fly, why not generate certs with the right names?

the 2 hour delay for re-provisioning came from the person I was quoting, based I believe on how long it took someone (idk who) to rotate certs on a set of servers

slack, as I keep saying, can't provision names ahead of time. they create new endpoints in real time based on user input

I don't know who, if anyone, is suggesting generating wildcard certs on the fly

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Depends on the CA and we haven't seen LE's Implimentation, but often with traditional ones the private key also came from the CA to encourage re-use. Not a traditional CSR process

can you give an example of a CA that did this? I've been poking around and can't find any, and all the wildcard submission forms I can find just ask for a public key

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

why would you need to issue identical certs more frequently than that? a|b|c is different from a|b, I'm pretty pretty sure

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

you were suggesting generating them on the fly instead of reusing existing keys.

no, I was suggesting using wildcard certs, because slack can't predict what names they will need. if you go and create a slack community called "shaggarfanclub", then https://shaggarfanclub.slack.com" works moments later.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't understand that part. let's say the CA sends you a private key. you then have a private key in a file, just like if you'd generated it yourself. why would key management practices need to be different?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

you were suggesting separate wild card certs (same domain, different key) instead of re-use which would require requesting new, identical wildcard certs with other keys. if you aren't doing this then you are re-using the keys and increasing your attack surface.

oh, sure. just like you'd need to do to protect an alt-name version similarly, right? if you get the a|b|c|d|... key from one server you can see all traffic to all the servers, same as wildcard. Bangers was suggesting that you not share keys across servers, which means reissuing afaik.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wyoak posted:

concern would be that the CA has a copy of the private key you're using on your servers, I'd imagine the CA's would shy away from that just from a liability standpoint (although really nothing stupid a CA can do would surprise me at this point)

what I've seen has been a web page that gives you something to copy. but the concern Bangers raised was around key management, not the CA keeping a copy for some reason (I sure wouldn't want to, in their position)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I would be *extraordinarily* surprised if LE's implementation asked for the private key, even if other CAs somewhere do or did, and we're talking about LE here

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does LE force the client to generate a new private key after some interval or does it just keep rubber-stamping the same cert with new validity intervals until someone marks it as revoked or it ages out?

certbot defaults to a new key, but if you want to live dangerously then you can reuse

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

at slack's scale i am a little surprised they don't have an intermediate CA in order to issue trusted certificates on the fly

it's expensive as hell to make that happen but slack has got a lot of fuckin money

I don't think Facebook has one either. running a CA loving sucks.

LE spent less than $2M on their chained root, IIRC. it's not the money that's a barrier.

even if you issue trusted certs on demand, you also have to deploy them in real time too and at scale that is unpleasant. I forget how long it took to roll an updated cert set to across FB, but it wasn't fast

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

there are issues with the current specifications of those extensions, IIRC, but also until all clients honor it you don't get anything from using them. I forget the details, but we decided back in 2011 that it wasn't worth putting in Firefox because we didn't want people implementing it as specified.

I sure wish we'd had it for CNNIC though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i imagine he gets lame work poo poo out of the way, although he should have a p interesting for himself job, and then just hobbies away at whatevers the target

a lot of his job is sending email to people who have done, and likely will continue to do, dangerously stupid things

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sysadmins work weekends when paged, attackers like to party

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

does he do mobile? apseudonym? he should do mobile

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MacOS airdrop? Chrome's webm container handling? a fuzzer for DHCP? some obscure but enabled-by-default USB-over-SCSI-over-IP protocol? outlook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, pagerank was a long con

:rolleyes:

• Locked thread