Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

wife just linked me this:

brilliant :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lain Iwakura posted:

ayyy lmao

but yeah. i came out in april and sort of disappeared for a while because of it. will be kicking rear end soon enough!

i didn't see this post until now, congrats :toot:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

this sounds suspiciously like one of those old "prank" articles that were like "you should delete system32 because that means your system has 32 viruses!!!!"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BeOSPOS posted:

I'm a librarian for real and this is a stupidly bad post

serious post: other than putting books back and organizing stuff and otherwise managing a library what do you actually, like, do, i'm sure it's more than that but i've never really been clear

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

updated windows and found a warning sign on the windows defender icon...

oh gently caress off

better turn on our data collection if you know what's good for ya bub, pretty nice computer you got here shame if something were to pop up in the taskbar over and over whining at you every day

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

there's a new opsec thread, but I think you're on topic here fwiw

it got gassed, unless there's another one i missed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

hah we haven't even gotten completely shifted over to a 60 day password rotation yet. in four years I look forward to not changing my password all the drat time.

smart-card based 2fa works pretty great though and make my life so much easier.

supposedly at work we have 90 day password rotation enforced except i've never had to rotate any of my passwords ever so uh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Microsoft should go the apple route and only execute signed code without a prompt and force some kind of manual intervention for anything unsigned

i find apple's whole "if it's not signed right you have to go into the settings screen to explicitly allow it using a button that nothing in the denial dialog tells you exists" incredibly frustrating and therefore a real good solution for normies, good on you apple

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

maskenfreiheit posted:

i like vim because i don't do a ton of coding and i'd rather know the features I use are on pretty much any system vs coming up with some elaborate emacs setup that i need to replicate on every machine i administer

i use a real actual big boy ide for programming and vim for just loving with config files because of the reasons you listed and it works for me

thanks for listening to my opinions on computer thing, please like and subscribe to my posts

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"hospital" and "end of life" in the same sentence :ohdear:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

theres something to be said for letting customers go with their plan that won't work after explaining why it won't work and that it'll break in this way

that way when they do it they'll actually believe you next time

:lol:

or they'll blame you for it not working and demand that you make it work i mean why didn't you make it work what are we even paying you for???

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Grace Baiting posted:

im the thought in "And thought the PC boasts temperature monitoring and side-channel attack protection, it doesn't specify exactly how."

im the sentence right before that that says it has open hardware yet somehow nobody knows how the temperature monitoring works i guess?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

theres litterrally us cyber command. cyber is old as heck.

a big chunk of it is based in Florida actually, i've driven past it

i would just like to underline that america's cybers are protected by Florida

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i assume the only reason why anyone would buy a pastebin pro account is so they could write messages on it to prove they owned the bits coin?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cheese-cube posted:

pretty much that. the servers i was peeping were meant to operate as "guest print servers" that would host print queues and allow unauth anon access to them. guest being member of administrators is not a pre-req for that ofc...

setup

step 1: disable selinux put all the users in the administrators group

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

communism bitch posted:

Just keep all your passwords in a word file on your desktop titled "passwords" like my dad.

i needed the root password to this new public-internet-facing VM someone had set up and noticed the guy had a habit of mailing passwords in emails (there were several earlier in the email chain) so i ask him to give me the password another way that's more secure than email

he just sends it to me on slack and tells me "oh good idea suggesting we be secure and not put this in an email!" :negative:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mrmcd posted:

I was catching up on all the LE sperging when I thought "I should post 'Is cloudflare still a comically bad pile of poo poo? I haven't been keeping up since taviso publicly poo poo all over them'" and then, like whoa, he appears in the thread!

wait did tavis actually post in the thread and i missed it or do you just mean that tweet

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mrmcd posted:

AFAIK he doesn't post here.

i thought maybe he had started because we're all smart attractive people?

i can dream :sigh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Truga posted:

that's less of an android problem and more of a vendor problem though imo.

not that android is good or anything, but it's like making GBS threads all over windows just because lenovo installed superfish on your pc.

I was gonna say microsoft could probably stop that poo poo if they actually tried at all but thinking about it they'd probably get an antitrust lawsuit lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Phone posted:

i have phone hopped a bit, and i know it falls under "old man yelling at clouds" poo poo, but man the choices are not great.

with iphones they removed the headphone jack to save .01mm of space (and also to sell you air budzzzzz)

with androids, all of the nexus phones are great handsets until they mysteriously break a year later because there's a design flaw in the power button (n5) or just straight up refuse to boot one day (n5x). the closest manufacturer that is aosp adjacent that doesn't make dumpster fire handsets is oneplus.

but hey, nokia has a new handset out guyzzzzz

what weird european country are you from where they call them "handsets" i've only ever heard that in relation to landline phones

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Phone posted:

cellular telephony endpoints

to your question, the worst European country of them all: south florida

oh yeah i remember this coming up before, i grew up like 4 hours north of you but apparently in a completely different universe

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Phone posted:

I won't tell anyone that you lived in orlando

not even orlando :v:

CmdrRiker posted:

That's not too bad if you're hosting Slack on your own servers. It would at least be a step in the right direction.

nope we use slack's hosting and we don't even pay for anything so it deletes all our messages within a week because we've used up our free quota lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

The open source nature of Android means that Google can recommend and strongly suggest, but ultimately cannot fully control what OEMs do, which is unfortunate for end users.

i wouldn't mind this so much if I could just put a stock install on the phone or whatever via a process that's not "download some skeevy poo poo from xda-forums"

i'd think they could do something with the branding at least, like you can't use the Android name or call your phone a Certified Google Android(tm) Compatible Device or whatever if you don't allow users to run stock or uninstall poo poo or whatever

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i hear it's pronounced zed-oh in canada

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

did anyone else notice SA was down for two hours due to a bad SSL certificate

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I like how the pentesters are popping out of the woodwork to diss a guy for calling their job a relatively large scam

we hired some company to regularly pentest our software and they still haven't found the myriad of really incredibly obvious problems, i assume because all they're doing is running some toolkit that looks for known vulns in software that is not the software my company specifically makes

but hey we get to say we're pentested when companies ask!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

what i'm saying is they're less than worthless, they're actively harmful because they convey a level of safety that's not there at all

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

feels safer than printing off the lockout code and keeping that around - at least the old phone is encrypted and password protected

serious question: is your threat model "someone could break into my house and steal a piece of paper and then use it to post terrible things to my facebook account"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hackbunny posted:

lol when we had to do that but on workplace safety we all independently set up a script to cheat on the mandatory viewing time

our "security training" for PCI compliance was like, a folder full of approximately 4 hours of video files we had to say we watched but not actually provide any proof we watched

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

if they ever ask you compliance questions the answer is almost always 'all of the above' i.e. report everything including yourself.

what, like an auditor or something? because the person who would actually ask compliance questions internally is actually me, because i'm the only one on the dev team that gives a gently caress so i'm in charge of it

for the record i recommended some actually useful-looking online training thing for the "security training" but it, you know, cost nonzero dollars and so it was vetoed

e: actually I don't remember if it cost nonzero dollars now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it was just some OWASP thing...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

this is cool court, not fool court :c00lbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spankmeister posted:

He registered a company in that name to get the code signing cert lmfao

In the past, the title field wasn't signed so you could put whatever in there and it would show it. This one guy made a demo of this to point out how poo poo it was and noticed in his web server logs two people from Oracle had tried it with titles such as "who gives a poo poo" :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

Plug this Web key into the USB drive on your computer.

what is with this copy

it's your key to your healthcare benefits what else would you call it!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

trying to get the wife to hang this on the wall at work thanks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jimmy Carter posted:

my girlfriend just started as IT person #1 at an office of like 60 and they are apparently freaking out that they don't 'have a firewall' yet

what should she tell them to buy other than 'whatever is being advertising at the airport'

#1 as in best or #1 as in the first actual IT person at the whole company ever

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i was googling for something and misspelled it and wound up here:

http://www.digitalstorefronts.com/intercart.htm

quote:

How to add InterCart™ to your existing web site
Here's an example of how to add InterCart™ to your web page. Copy and paste the following HTML code into your web page.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="HTTP://www.digitalstorefronts.com/store/shop.asp">
<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME=CartID VALUE="CART">
<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME=ItemNum VALUE="A-0050">
<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME=ItemPrice VALUE="9.99">
<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME=ItemWt VALUE="3.2">
<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME=ItemDec VALUE="This is a widget description">
<INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT VALUE="Add To Cart">
</FORM>

i assume this page has been up since the mid-90's if it's still passing price in (all-caps) form fields :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

That was gassed :/

did anyone ever get a reason why? i want to poo poo talk about lovely US politics but D&D seems to be full of awful people and "ironic" unironic racists trump supporters and has been trying to be ~fair and balanced~ lately. i'd make a new thread myself but if i don't know why the old one failed it'd just get gassed again i assume?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anthonypants posted:

iirc graph shut down the second thread. both threads were closed. there is no opsec thread.

yeah as other posters mentioned the first one was closed by the OP but the second one just kinda ended suddenly with no explanation that i've seen :iiam:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

oh is that why my kindle lockscreen is always ads for lovely books? i didn't buy it so i assumed that was normal. they don't show up anywhere else so who gives a gently caress.

it shows even fewer ads once you root it and put something else on there :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

yeah but i want that ka-chunk of pressing the button and seeing the rotors rotate and poo poo

then work out a way of using it as a keyboard to get one up on the mechanical keyboard shitbirds

just connect the output lamps to keyboard switches

then learn to type so your inputs map to the correct output letters

easy

• Locked thread