Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bloody posted:

ground floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

or if you're like me, dont use the same password everywehre

password managers are for the unburned

i use safari's pw manager/creator thingo works great 10/10

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the unburned are those who havent been hacked yet

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah im trying to make sense of your advice to ditch password managers and implication of single password for everything with the use of password manager

nonono

i said i use a pw manager (safari's) and at the very least dont use the same pw everywhere because

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

people aren't hacking your password manager, they're hacking that unpatched counterstrike forum you posted on 10 years ago with the same password

safari's generates a pw for each one and uses your fingerprint for entry

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ah ya dude I got burned from some pw leak (I think last.fm) and someone tried to steal some video game account because idiot me used the same pw for 13 years

so what I mean is the only people who don't use pw managers are those who haven't been burned yet aka the unburned

I guess there are a few toasted retards floating around but then there always is

but ya don't do like what I did and use the same ow everywhere is what was trying to say

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Raluek posted:

i think cinci's confusion stems from these being basically opposites

yeah this is why I shouldn't post at 5a

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

But enough about android

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it's pronounced null-day

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i've literally never heard it pronounced anything other than zero day from english speaking peoples in the british isles as well as the colonies

when you say "oh-day" i think of his brother qusay hussein

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I like how the pentesters are popping out of the woodwork to diss a guy for calling their job a relatively large scam

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

"this guy pointed out that the infosec community is hampered by the fact that normies and even techies and some infosec dudes have no idea what infosec is nor does and because of that pentesting is usually a huge loving scam performed by people who have no idea what they're doing nor why. I'm going to laugh at this dude because he's obviously an idiot that doesn't recognize how my work as a pentester has a major impact on my field"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i had to use an internet cafe today to do some work bullshit while on holiday and 1) holy poo poo internet cafes still exist 2) they give you local admin which was handy because i had to install java to get our garbage remote access software working*

the guy next to me was trying to open some random file type and asked the staff about installing something and they went 'it's not a virus right?' and just did it

*recently upgraded to use a java desktop app that has to be manually set up to point to the java exe and so breaks on every java version update because environment variables are hard

android studio loving does this and I had to write documentation to walk clients through how to handle this when setting up their android automation thing I wrote for them :argh:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the secfuck is coming from inside the thread

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

technology will be the undoing of humanity and I am glad of it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

did anyone ever get a reason why? i want to poo poo talk about lovely US politics but D&D seems to be full of awful people and "ironic" unironic racists trump supporters and has been trying to be ~fair and balanced~ lately. i'd make a new thread myself but if i don't know why the old one failed it'd just get gassed again i assume?

threads that are closed in yospos get autogassed

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lol enlightenment literally has "hell if i know" in the documentation

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The problem with a race to the bottom is that once you get there, you are stuck.

introduce more expensive, durable lines and slowly phase out the chinesium garbage that they sell now. Apple has a lot of computer models but compared to HP or whatever they have very very few. they could reduce their operating costs by only needing to make 12 different models of higher cost, sell them as competitors to Apple for $300 less and still make quite a bit of money

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the main issue would be all the smaller Chinese and Korean companies that are super ok with only making $5-$15/unit to Americans who don't understand that buying a $200 piece of poo poo every two years is more expensive than buying a $600 computer every six years

the politics of the poor generally being unable to do this but still needing a computer aside I guess

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

you can call a recursion anywhere inside of a recursive function and it will still be recursive :v:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ok true

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

surebet posted:

actual security research question: i'm getting curious about how those free flashlight apps & ad infested games on android work and i've started to pull a couple apart with apktool, sniffing traffic with wireshark & even had some limited success loving around with ida

one thing that i'm still struggling with is a bunch of files with an xml extension; androidmanifest.xml files get extracted correctly by apktool, but a bunch of other xml files (if they're even xml, but in the case of the app i'm having issues with nothing else seems obfuscated so v0v) are coming out as complete gibberish

i seem to be lacking the correct words to google my way through this issue as usual. pretty much anything i try to describe as "apktool * broken xml" refers back to axmlprinter, which apparently only works on manifest files. i gave dex2jar a go, but i'm not interested in the code of the app as much as those resource files

any ideas how i should hit this next?

android uses xml files for the manifest (which tells android what permissions the app needs, what it will sort of look like wrt screen position, and a few other things

the rest of the xml files are layout files that are never really very well decompiled in my experience but all of the tools that i've used at work dont decompile to the java code for various reasons

but yeah best success ive had is with classyshark

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phone posted:

nah, it's that i don't have a lock timer setup, so if the monitor is off and i don't wiggle the mouse, there's a good chance i'll just slam my password into irc or something

why don't you press Windows + L every time you leave your desk??

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phone posted:

i may or may not have an elaborate mirror set up that allows me to look at the computer monitor from the bathroom

do you work from home or something

:tipshat:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Shaggar posted:

anyone who doesn't lock their comp @ work leaves themselves open to being hosed w/

standard course of action here is your background being changed to Hulk Hogan and if you do it again you get a screenshot of your desktop with shortcuts = off

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Shaggar posted:

you should also rotate the display and rotate the desktop background to match

Brilliant, I'll make sure to do that

luckily the only person that leaves their poo poo unlocked all the time is the know it all who tries to talk down to you about poo poo you actually know. then you correct him and he says "oh i knew that"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Ideally if you gently caress with someone's unlocked desktop you are immediately fired and blacklisted for being a terminal security gently caress up.

that's what they did at my previous job

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

shutting off the ac and killing grandma sounds like the sort of thing you shouldn't be able to do via internet

otoh a good boomer is a dead boomer

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I think I'd rather be addicted to heroin than gambling

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

please show me a drone that can break the sound barrier then we can have this discussion

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

hell what drone can go above the 120mph take off speed of the average aircraft

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

factorio is a great game made by great dudes and i hope they keep making cool + good poo poo

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Chalks posted:

In a customer management system there's little else besides personal data. Contact details, correspondence, support tickets, order details... that's basically all there is. And it's not just a case of trawling through backups - in the case of an incremental backup you can't even access the data without restoring the increment against its full backup. So you do that and remove the data.. then what? Instead of the 200mb incremental you started with you've got a 200gb full database. What are you meant to do with that?

So we outlaw the use of tape backups, we outlaw the use of incremental backups and we outlaw the use of offline data storage...?

It's perfectly possible to have reasonable data protection legislation without putting a completely unreasonable burden on backup processes. It would be silly to pretend there are only two options, this or literally no control over how personal information is stored and handled.

I think the main reason you're so against this is it's going to be a pain in the rear end for companies who have lovely data storage such as yours

think about it this way: there's going to be a lot of job security when all the corps have to change a shitload of backend and hey at least your days will fly by!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

graph pls do the needful

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

what in the world is going on

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fishmech posted:

nearly 10 year old defcon joke

ok that explains a lot more

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm not really sure what's going on with that CVE other than it does bad stuff, but what's especially stupid about it?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dude interpolates a filename into a command string that is then passed to vbscript.exe, which is stupid enough to execute arbitrary code passed on the command line

this was
a.) stupid
b.) totally unnecessary
c.) did i mention really, really stupid?

oh nice

that's bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

do the strippers take bitcoin???

• Locked thread