Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
protip: if you're running an av client for some reason and you don't want random poo poo being exfiltrated to your av vendor, disable sample submission

like, is there any evidence that the nsa/kaspersky thing was anything other than that idiot contractor taking poo poo home and his av uploading flagged files?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

my bitter bi rival posted:

i didn't klnow that. thats interesting and i guess changes things a little but still think that if you are a normal home computer user, the russian state should probably not be a part of threat model. no one cares about you.

next step: kaspersky internet security injecting fake news into your timeline/searches

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i mean 1/4 of them already did

what's the percentage by marketshare?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm pretty sure that's mostly an american style

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

drat it's been a busy couple of days in the secfuck world

anyway, heres another tragic wide-open S3 bin story:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/accenture-left-a-huge-trove-of-client-passwords-on-exposed-servers/

gently caress accenture

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

anthonypants posted:

don't worry, they definitely learned their lesson after chelsea manning and edward snowden

... don't forget reality winner

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

e: on second though nm

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 12, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 12, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you can't trust client endpoints. so no, nothing to add

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it turns out having remotely updateable/accessible software with ring-0 access is a security nightmare

whoda thunk it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

the pc master race thing came from a goon who does video game reviews

yeah, wasn't that a yhatzee joke?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

median income in latvia is like $400 a month dude

latvian dollars or, like, real dollars

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

probably due to the google-symantec spat over ssl certs. they probably used a bunch of symantec ca issued certs that suddenly became untrusted and decided that was somehow google's fault

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Truga posted:

hell, there's several people around the globe that can just up and end civilization.

how many of them are twitter support staff?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why would they need to review them? there is absolutely nothing donald trump could tweet that would result in suspending his account

he is literally the highest profile user of the entire platform and also the potus. twitter ain't never gonna enforce a tos violation against his accounts

iirc they even left themselves an out by refusing to censor things considered "newsworthy". the the president says it, it's newsworthy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

serious question: do you think the potus account has 2fa enabled?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

spoiler: it's opendns

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so at least they'd have an excuse

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how to de-anonymize tor users with seven characters

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

geonetix posted:

i thought any and all communications by the White House had to be preserved?

the presidential records act say they do. lol if you think this administration has complied in any way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Rufus Ping posted:

razor and blade spotted

razor and blade? they're flakes!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ad domain function level doesn't change unless you manually change it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

welp. a fairly high value investment firm i work for just got popped by one of those credential harvesting phishing messages, sent seemingly legitimately from another investment firm they work with, who evidently had their office 365 accounts breached some time ago and were unaware of it until now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

any additional details you can share? we love to send stories about this kind of stuff happening out as company-wide broadcasts to reinforce our "DON'T TRUST EMAIL" campaign

i understand if you can't though

they received it when they were expecting some shared files to come in, message body was
code:
Title: ACTION REQUIRED: Shared Documents

Hello,

<name>, sent you a secured  file via SharePoint Online.

Go To [url="https://twofeetstanding.com/@%23$%25%5e&%25$%23/index.php"]Shared Documents[/url]

If you have any questions,please let me know.

Many Thanks,

Sincerely
the link goes to a landing page that suggest you sign in with one of several types of email account, selecting Office 365 or Aol gets you an exact ripoff of that service's login page.

since the email is coming directly from another compromised account the headers are right and the signature etc. are all what you'd expect to see, so of course the user didn't look at the URL before trying to sign in.

this was sent from the email account of the SVP of the other firm

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 8, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dyscrasia posted:

That sounds like something I've been seeing too. Credential harvesting and spreading further malicious links.

i've seen a bunch specifically targeting office 365 users, sent to domains using hosted exchange plans. a few get the style of the service notices down too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

alternate possibility: their very expensive security consultants have not fixed it and just keep cleaning up symptoms, not the actual breach

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm not sure who the intended audience is, but i'm comfortable saying they probably wouldn't bother with that as opposed to just streamlining it through facebook itself

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

maybe add snapchat integration or something

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

no clue what's wrong with the revo but i'm guessing it's software

very important lesson re: logitech mice, don't ever install the software.

holy poo poo, amount of garbage they pack into that stuff is insane. want to re-map buttons? great well here's a half dozen different services and a complete explorer overhaul to add a bunch of fancy animations to the windows switcher that works less well than what was builtin in to begin with

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the older versions of setpoint had exactly what i described, at least up to windows 7.

idk, i've never tried to install them after that because, holy poo poo, what a trashfire

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Logitech Drivers Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Use The HID Defaults Like Nigga Cancel The Install Haha

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im not sure i ever have installed setpoint, but all my logitech mices were ~gaming~

setpoint was the only way to remap buttons and adjust dpi, etc. for a long time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Often clicking the link is the only interaction you need. But I definitely agree with punitive "gotcha" phishing tests being very bad.

Maybe they don't convey it too well, but you really do want to train users not to click on links in unexpected emails. If you've had meetings/training telling people not to do that, and they still do it, I'm not sure how exactly to get the message across.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think the solution here is to get rid of email

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

in the thread:

https://twitter.com/zippyman818/status/930571284181897216

whoops

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well the geotagged map has a vk icon, which is russian facebook. i just assumed SM meant social media

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tfw siri decides you live at a bar downtown and tells you how long it will take you to get "home"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wolrah posted:

Google has done the same thing to me. I work from home, so it decided my house is "Work". If I leave my house after 5 PM there's about a 50/50 shot I'm going to a bar a few blocks away, so it I'm guessing that's what got their systems thinking it must be home.

Yeah, same for me.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Should I take transit?

That is not possible at this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

gamify your commute with this one simple trick from a mom, big data hates her

• Locked thread