Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

pr0zac posted:

the terminal security gently caress up is the person leaving their screen unlocked

that said, don't screw with people's computers in ways that makes it unusable for them, its straight up rear end in a top hat hazing behavior and its poo poo like that that makes tech culture as bad as it is

I work on a product security team, if someone leaves their laptop unlocked and someone else notices, we nicely lock it for them with no dumb pranks and the rule is the person who forgot gets to buy the team donuts the next day, themselves included

its helpful and we get to eat donuts together as a team the next day! (except for me cause I work remotely :smith:)

Ed: also cause I'm sure someones gonna bring it up, the donuts are expensible

uh

do you work in the same office as me?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Meat Beat Agent posted:

yeah it's a bit of a stretch isn't it

lmao

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Shaggar posted:

Turns out media playback and html rendering are pretty core functions of an OS

i too remember active desktop

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

because the management is using it as a performance indicator which is the dumbest poo poo. have fun telling management that people clicked because they have a billion emails to process and not because they are “bad” employees.

e: i didn’t click btw

it is a performance indicator because lol if your employees blind click links/open attachments in emails that vaguely look like they're related to work instead of thinking about what they're doing. if you regularly get phished during exercises you're clearly not learning from the trainings and are a "bad" employee

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

mrmcd posted:

What I'm saying is if your attitude is "I will scream at users until they STOP BEING WRONG" instead of trying to engineer guard rails and mitigations to well known problems of human behavior, you're never going to make any real progress.

at the end of the day if an attacker sends an email looking like it's from the ceo and joe from accounting sends every employee's w2 back, that's on joe

engineering can only go so far to mitigate the human factor

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

minato posted:

makes sense, Santa is an anagram of @nsa

w
o
w

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Father Jack posted:

have you noticed a performance hit?

we've seen massive performance hits across our entire infrastructure. the fallout from patching meltdown is going to cost us tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars a month just to tell our customers that we're secure against attacks that will most likely never be able to affect our instances.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

we run a bunch of big cassandra clusters in aws and read and write latency has increased by about 20% which is consistent with what tlp benchmarked: http://thelastpickle.com/blog/2018/01/10/meltdown-impact-on-latency.html

we've also noticed that we've had to scale some of our services that are cpu bound by 1.5-2x to keep up with the load

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

i say we but really it's our platform engineering and product teams. i get to sit back and tell them to fix security problems

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

jre posted:

What type of instances and what ami ?

we bake our own amis based on ubuntu 14 and run them on i2.4xlarge instances

e: for cassandra, that is. services vary in terms of instance type

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

yes, exclusively

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

jre posted:

I'd suggest trying a comparative bench with HVM amazon linux vs your own ami to see if the performance drop is the same

that's the next step i think but our platform engineering team will have to update a bunch of our cookbooks because we do a lot of janky ubuntu-specific stuff

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

jre posted:

I’ve a big write heavy column store workload that we‘ve not patched yet, going to need to bench it to see if its as hosed :smithicide:

so follow-up: platform engineers tweaked the write_request_timeout_in_ms setting and bumped it to 5s from the default of 2s. combined with 4 additional nodes and we're actually out-performing pre-patch state :shrug:

the theory is that because writes vary in size, processing the smaller payloads increased cpu overhead and caused larger payloads to time out and drop mutations

we also noticed a ton of gc which went back to normal when we did a rolling restart of the cluster to update that setting. the garbage collector might have got in a bad state, contributing to the performance issues

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Loucks posted:

Are people itt operating under the belief the Strava has 24/7 tracking data? Because that’s not how it works at all. You’ve got to consciously turn on tracking by starting an activity. “Real-time” premium tracking just means that a given activity is updated live rather than uploaded after it has been completed.

Also this heat map has been available for years.

goons don't know something but still talk about it with an attempt at authority? stop the presses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Loucks posted:

Was just trying to clarify. Am I wrong? Feel free to enlighten me when you’re done with the snark.

you were right, other goons were wrong

• Locked thread