Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Already working on a lovely build that I'll probably have to entirely redo later. At least I have my Demon Hunter SPEED WEED to make farming less of a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Blood Siphon doesn't work with the Mantle of Channeling. :(

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I really loving wish Dayntee's Binding worked for curses other than Decrepify.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I have a buddy who's had amazing success with Army of the Dead's Unconventional Warfare rune to nuke Rift Guardians. 50,000% damage coupled with the bone tornado's 2.75k damage vulnerability is often enough to rip apart elites and guardians with little effort. The problem is that it requires them to be isolated, which can get tough, and the cooldown is... well, pretty much the same as LotD.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

how many loving times do i need to reroll these hexing pants before they turn ancient

answer: MORE THAN 40, APPARENTLY

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i want to be mad but i can't be mad at that post/av combo

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Floppychop posted:

Witch Hunter

Do you mean Witch Doctor or Demon Hunter? As great of a combination of those two would be, there isn't one.

Also, in my experience the Wizard is by far the easiest for working low levels.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

LoN is pretty nice for my strafe DH that I use for ultra speedfarming.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

holy poo poo, those wings

Also, got my first primal!

:shepicide:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Field Mousepad posted:

Why haven't tech companies figured out to use actors yet?

memes

also because the people who would be interested in this announcement don't care

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Am I weird for enjoying my non-seasonal characters more than starting over every season

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Something I just noticed about the Blizzcon art on the launcher:

Diablo hasn't been depicted with three horns on his noggin like this before, and his face looks pretty different from his Diablo II incarnation (being that the Red Soulstone just... isn't there anymore). Do y'all think this is an indication that something large and Diablo-related will get announced at Blizzcon?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I very much look forward to spinning my problems away, especially since it's a build that I could theoretically work the Lacuni Prowlers into.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'm trying seasonal because I have a Strafe build for speedfarming and I have been told that Whirlwind barb is basically that but better.

I feel like the Seasonal experience would be vastly improved if you got all six pieces of your set when you hit Level 70 with the Seasonal Journey quests gave you Ancient bags.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I hadn't played Diablo 2 until a couple months ago and I honestly wasn't really that big of a fan of the story. I didn't hate it per se, but it felt really meandering to me - especially doing poo poo like searching for dungeons in Act 1 and Act 2 and trying to track down the Gidbinn. I feel like 3's story direction was much clearer because I always knew where I was supposed to be going and what I was supposed to be doing once I got there.

killing deckard cain and replacing him with leah was a loving mistake though

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I feel like the biggest strides in ARPG innovation were made by Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, of all games. Every character had 4 or 5 basic combos (plus grabbing/throwing) in addition to 4 special abilities (one of which was an ultimate) and enemies were designed around small, semi-coordinated groups (with elites mixed in for random minibosses). Of course, the puzzles were pretty underwhelming and the physics were completely hosed, but I feel like Diablo would benefit a lot from having slightly more core gameplay complexity instead of focusing on being a Murderfarm Simulator.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

User posted:

How is the Tal Rasha meteor wizard meant to stay above 90% arcane for Aquila Cuirass?

Every Tal Rasha's build I've seen that incorporates the Cuirass focuses on summoning meteors via rotating channeled skills and uses Hergbrash's Binding to keep their cost down.

Alternately, you sustain yourself with Arcane Power On Crit.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s so lovely how they took the canonical necromancer and put him down like a nobody in a loving bounty

Wait, what? Which bounty is this?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Last Blizzcon, Diablo had a single side panel (and it was just a Community Q&A, if I recall correctly). This upcoming Blizzcon, there's a What's Next panel immediately after the opening ceremony, which (along with the new Diablo design) points towards a pretty big announcement, such as a ROS-tier expansion or Diablo 4. With that in mind, Diablo 2 Remastered sounds like a side project - it wouldn't surprise me if Blizzard announced it, but it would surprise me if it was the only thing they had to show.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It's not like there isn't precedent for a reboot - Time Cultists are the directly stated reason for the Anniversary Dungeon.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I have given up on Grift pushing entirely and decided to focus on being the best Whirlwind speedfarm machine I can be. It's made this season significantly more enjoyable, especially with the Bounty mats I am now drowning in.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

StashAugustine posted:

Hey I decided to pick this up, any good guides for how to get started- like how and when to interact with crafting and vendors and stuff? I started off with the demon hunter, the machinegun is cool

Never sell anything. Salvage it at the Blacksmith instead.
Only caveat to "never sell anything" is "only sell it if you bought it" because items bought from vendors can't be Salvaged (for... some reason). Buying stop-gap items from vendors is a wise idea if you're struggling but be aware that you'll quickly outclass whatever you bought, so don't bankrupt yourself.
Try to reach Level 70 as quickly as you can. The sooner you do, the sooner you can start working on an actual build and the sooner you don't have to trash drops every couple minutes of gameplay.
Two-Handed Weapons are going to outclass one-handed or dual-wielded weapons until about Level 60 or so, so if you craft anything at the Blacksmith, go for those.
Speaking of crafting, the Blacksmith is your #1 upgrade priority. Don't worry about the other two until you're at the level cap.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

edit: nvm gently caress it i won't destroy the tables

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

So I got my hands on the demo.

It was identical to the low-level Diablo III grind where you don't have a build or a loadout, you just use whatever skills and equipment you have access to at the time. There was no indication of plans for alternative skills.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Tried it a second time, figured I'd give it a second chance.

It wasn't worth it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

euphronius posted:

So it’s going to be free at least right ?

I just asked a guy running the demo booth. He has no idea.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Supposedly characters will be unable to alter their skill loadouts and new skill loadouts will be released as new characters, so there will be multiple Wizards that represent various playstyles and/or sets.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That just lends to the idea that loot is basically nonexistent and the game is just a time sink grind to upgrade/reforge generic poo poo to make the numbers go slightly higher.

Like the whole idea of sets and finding a cool legendary that lets you play a gimmicky build is just not there.

The loot I picked up had no stats, just a green arrow and I got a "+X defense" when I tapped the icon to equip it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

E2M2 posted:

The game isn't even out yet how are you guys this petty. I'll wait for the actual game to be out to judge this thing.

They're not judging the game (although I certainly am, having played the demo), they're judging the situation surrounding it (which is profoundly awful and stupid in multiple ways).

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Suburban Dad posted:

I don't know the history, why the hate?

Mark Kern is a colossal piece of poo poo who effectively killed Firefall and The9 and was really big into "that one GAMES JOURNALISM thing that we don't talk about".

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Reality Pisser posted:

With the switch release, I'm playing Necro for the first time, and it seems bad? Not enough builders or spenders, meh passives, and the pet stuff feels rehashed from WD. I havent unlocked all the spend health runes yet but that just seems like bigger numbers.

Probably going to roll a Barb.

Necromancer kinda sucks until you get a Set together, unfortunately.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I feel like LoN was the only set that should've been buffed.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

mewse posted:

- titan was cancelled but overwatch rose from the ashes so who cares?

Overwatch didn't rise from the ashes of Titan, Titan's corpse was cannibalized and Blizzard did the best they could with what they got from that to try to avoid Titan being a total loss. As far as I know, the most they we're able to rip out were level assets for Overwatch and some gameplay systems for WoW - everything else went into the trash.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Toshimo posted:

Not pictured: Inarius got stealth-buffed so probably move that up to B-tier.

What happened to the Inarius set?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Toshimo posted:

Not pictured: Inarius got stealth-buffed so probably move that up to B-tier.

I still wanna know what happened to the Inarius set. :(

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

All of this talk of sets has me wondering how one would build a character trying to equip as many sets as possible. Just fuckin'... six sets. 2-piece effects for days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is it viable/worthwhile to do a petless Necromancer? I'm not super into pet classes but corpse explosions and blood novas sound like my idea of a good time.

Depends on what you consider "viable/worthwhile". Tornado Brawler Necro is pretty great for speedfarming and not bad for pushing, but you're not going to get the same mileage as other builds.