Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Star Man posted:

Did you know that even with ten thousand dexterity, Unhallowed One just can't seem to clear mid-90s greater rifts without the monsters being skeletons and zombies and a few outdoor zones with high density?

I'm working on a level 100 gem to augment my bow with because it's not getting any better than what it is short of being primal (otherwise I'd settle with an 80), but it's just getting frustrating.

https://www.d3planner.com/661096008

10k dex is a pretty low amount of dex to be running with. Pump those numbers up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.

Rinkles posted:

Did they actually try?

A company that size isn't going to just try something on a whim, they have internal metrics they base those decisions off of. If they didn't do it for D3 it was because they knew it wasn't going to make them enough money (Or at least they believed it wouldn't, it's obviously not impossible they were wrong). And if Blizzard knows it won't make them the kind of money they're looking for than other AAA developers know it as well, which is why no big developer ever touches the genre.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dameius posted:

10k dex is a pretty low amount of dex to be running with. Pump those numbers up.

Fine.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Like, I just rolled up a monk for a second character, he has all the right gear, but only like 75% of the actual right affixes. Two pieces of gear are ancient, and it isn't even both weapons. All the prefaced, and I am still sitting at ~10k dex with sub 800 paragon for this season. You should easily be sitting at around ~12k+ dex for where you are on the GR ladder.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Dameius posted:

Like, I just rolled up a monk for a second character, he has all the right gear, but only like 75% of the actual right affixes. Two pieces of gear are ancient, and it isn't even both weapons. All the prefaced, and I am still sitting at ~10k dex with sub 800 paragon for this season. You should easily be sitting at around ~12k+ dex for where you are on the GR ladder.

I have 10k dex and i'm 500 paragon in my shadow set with no augments. Although to be fair that's including wearing dex gems so I guess it's like 8.6k. Probably have to take that into account if comparing dex amounts...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'd he's got dex rolled off jewelry I could see it being a bit low.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Reddit posted:

u/Thunderclaww did a great job finding unannounced links to collect items but most of them are dead now. I'd like to start a new list of "official" working links which have been released by Blizzard and are unlikely to change. This is what I've got so far:

Wand of Woh: http://blizz.ly/D3NSWoW

Diabolic Wand: https://blizz.ly/xbwVlIMqbeCHsH6IKBq2

Johanna's Argument: http://blizz.ly/D3NSJoA

Added Oct 17th:

Oathkeeper: https://blizz.ly/axFcOl3SvHM77rNGfD6t

Added Oct 19th:

Double Axe of Wounding: http://blizz.ly/IDD2OjL5SfGZmjaMsi0G

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

As someone who hasnt played d3 in a few years now but will buy it on the switch, are there a lot of new leggos to enjoy? Are new ones still being added?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mikojan posted:

As someone who hasnt played d3 in a few years now but will buy it on the switch, are there a lot of new leggos to enjoy? Are new ones still being added?

Depends on how many years "a few years" is but there have been a couple added and several changed significantly, along with all of the necromancer-specific ones that were added. There haven't been any added recently, D3 been in maintenance mode nearly-strictly since Necros dropped, but the addition of season themes and the confirmation of "any Diablo announcements aren't D4" actually does increase the chances that they're going to circle back around to add some new content to D3, hopefully.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I have given up on Grift pushing entirely and decided to focus on being the best Whirlwind speedfarm machine I can be. It's made this season significantly more enjoyable, especially with the Bounty mats I am now drowning in.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Welp. Got Princess Lillian finally. My season is done.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
from the very bottom of my soul: gently caress you and all your kin

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Hey man. Took me from s9 to now to find her. So lol gently caress me indeed.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I love her. I got her an hour after she launched without knowing what it was and got so many angry messages from the people I was split-bountying with.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dameius posted:

Welp. Got Princess Lillian finally. My season is done.

Mods ban this sick filth.

Seriously, though congratulations!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Grats. That's the one cosmetic I'd actually like but won't farm for it specifically.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I decided to pick this up, any good guides for how to get started- like how and when to interact with crafting and vendors and stuff? I started off with the demon hunter, the machinegun is cool

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Hey I decided to pick this up, any good guides for how to get started- like how and when to interact with crafting and vendors and stuff? I started off with the demon hunter, the machinegun is cool

Icy veins has good guides for beginners

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

StashAugustine posted:

Never sell anything. Salvage it at the Blacksmith instead.
Only caveat to "never sell anything" is "only sell it if you bought it" because items bought from vendors can't be Salvaged (for... some reason). Buying stop-gap items from vendors is a wise idea if you're struggling but be aware that you'll quickly outclass whatever you bought, so don't bankrupt yourself.
Try to reach Level 70 as quickly as you can. The sooner you do, the sooner you can start working on an actual build and the sooner you don't have to trash drops every couple minutes of gameplay.
Two-Handed Weapons are going to outclass one-handed or dual-wielded weapons until about Level 60 or so, so if you craft anything at the Blacksmith, go for those.
Speaking of crafting, the Blacksmith is your #1 upgrade priority. Don't worry about the other two until you're at the level cap.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

Do the greater rift challenge thing, use the money and mats to upgrade all your crafting npcs, use the mats to craft a level appropriate weapon every now and then. For most classes it's a 2h axe, for DH I have no idea.

If you're already max level then do the season journey.

You can't really misuse anything. Be a little hesitant with your first Ramaladani's Gift (item that adds socket to weapon) once you're max level.

https://teambrg.com/diablo-3/d3-seasonal-start-guide/ is alright but aimed toward being pointlessly hardcore so take some of it with a grain of salt and just pick up useful knowledge from it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 28, 2018

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

StashAugustine posted:

at level 40, if your black smith is leveled up, you can craft a level 70 weapon with a -30 lvl requirement, and it's a pretty big quality of life improvement

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

keratinous scutes posted:

at level 40, if your black smith is leveled up, you can craft a level 70 weapon with a -30 lvl requirement, and it's a pretty big quality of life improvement

To be able to do this you need to have beaten the Challenge Rift at least once to get a Deaths Breath crafting item which you won't otherwise get until you hit level 70.

Doing the Challenge Rift each week is a good idea either way because it will give you a large amount of crafting materials.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey wasn’t Blizzcon this weekend? Did anything get announced?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How do I survive with the Firebird Star Pact Meteor wizard build? Half of my gear is ancient including the weapon, and almost all of it is statted as specified in the link on Rhykker’s top builds video.

Seems like I am supposed to be teleporting into a group of trash or an elite pack, igniting everything, and then channeling arcane torrent to trigger star pact meteors. Are the mobs supposed to die during the super tiny window where they are frozen from Halo of Arlise? It seems like a paper thin build even in T13 normal rifts unless absolutely every defensive ability is triggered at the same time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Firebirds is stronger for high level rifting where enemies and elites around you are constantly on fire, triggering the 6pc bonus. It's less than ideal for regular T13 because everything will be dead before the damage reduction can take effect.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey wasn’t Blizzcon this weekend? Did anything get announced?

Next weekend.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

Firebirds is stronger for high level rifting where enemies and elites around you are constantly on fire, triggering the 6pc bonus. It's less than ideal for regular T13 because everything will be dead before the damage reduction can take effect.

Oh interesting. I guess that makes sense. I was all excited having blown a ton of bounty mats rolling into several ideal stat ancient pieces and when I took it for a test drive in T13 I just fell over. Part of that was skeleton archers being the assholes that they are though. :argh:

I’ll give a grift80 a try or something.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Yes, the solo Firebird SP build isn't worth running until like GR110+. It's an extremely difficult build to play well and requires a ton of fishing for favourable mob types and maps, then a favourable rift guardian. I wouldn't run it in solo unless you want to push really high on the leaderboards and have at least 100-200 keys to burn through.

You're meant to fill up on arcane power and build arcane dynamo to max stacks, then cast star pact manually and channel as it impacts. Time it with your COE cycle to generate an oculus ring (end of fire cycle), then jump into it, rebuild AP/AD stacks and cast star pact in the last second of lightning so that the meteor impacts at the start of your arcane cycle. You'll have the opportunity to drop another meteor during arcane if you time it right. Most of your time should be spent grouping up mobs and teleporting between groups to keep the Ancient Parthan Defenders buff up. If you linger too long on a certain pack they'll be unfrozen from diminishing returns and you will die terribly.

The channeled meteors from etched sigil don't benefit from the star pact AP spent mechanic, arcane dynamo or area damage so their damage is negligible. The sigil's just there for the while-channeling damage multiplier.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

wei posted:

Yes, the solo Firebird SP build isn't worth running until like GR110+. It's an extremely difficult build to play well and requires a ton of fishing for favourable mob types and maps, then a favourable rift guardian. I wouldn't run it in solo unless you want to push really high on the leaderboards and have at least 100-200 keys to burn through.

You're meant to fill up on arcane power and build arcane dynamo to max stacks, then cast star pact manually and channel as it impacts. Time it with your COE cycle to generate an oculus ring (end of fire cycle), then jump into it, rebuild AP/AD stacks and cast star pact in the last second of lightning so that the meteor impacts at the start of your arcane cycle. You'll have the opportunity to drop another meteor during arcane if you time it right. Most of your time should be spent grouping up mobs and teleporting between groups to keep the Ancient Parthan Defenders buff up. If you linger too long on a certain pack they'll be unfrozen from diminishing returns and you will die terribly.

The channeled meteors from etched sigil don't benefit from the star pact AP spent mechanic, arcane dynamo or area damage so their damage is negligible. The sigil's just there for the while-channeling damage multiplier.

Extremely helpful, thank you. I was kinda wondering how the channeled star pact meteors calculated their damage. That makes sense.

So what’s a good solo pushing build that is easier to play in the interim while I work my gems and paragon up to GR110 levels? Something like DMO Frozen Orb?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Siets posted:

Extremely helpful, thank you. I was kinda wondering how the channeled star pact meteors calculated their damage. That makes sense.

So what’s a good solo pushing build that is easier to play in the interim while I work my gems and paragon up to GR110 levels? Something like DMO Frozen Orb?

Tal's meteor is good

wei
Jul 27, 2006
DMO works, but the Tal Rasha channeling build is probably the most popular for pushing to sub-firebird levels. It's easy to play and if you have a good Deathwish and Etched Sigil already they're used in that build. There's also a meteor shower channeling Firebird build that's supposed to be just as effective but I haven't played that one. Could be worth a look at since you already have the gear.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I’ve got a half ancient set of Tal Rasha (thanks to gearing for that Kim Jong Un perpetual nuclear explosion speed build) so that sounds right up my alley.

Got a link to a relevant/updated Tal Meteor build? Do people still mostly go to diablofans for build guides?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Siets posted:

I’ve got a half ancient set of Tal Rasha (thanks to gearing for that Kim Jong Un perpetual nuclear explosion speed build) so that sounds right up my alley.

Got a link to a relevant/updated Tal Meteor build? Do people still mostly go to diablofans for build guides?

This looks right

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Siets posted:

I'm partial to the Icy Veins one.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm about to beat the story in non season mode, should i switch over to seasonal mode and run adventures afterwards; or is it worth just sticking with my current character?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Seasonal is set up in such a way that you’ll effortlessly surpass your current character in no time at all, so if you’re good and warmed up to the mechanics now you should just start a seasonal dude in Adventure Mode and go ham

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cool. Any reccomendations for character given their sets? Demon Hunter was kinda fun but I don't want to immediately do it again, wizard sounds cool but their set looks finicky. I like fast ranged guys a lot

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

StashAugustine posted:

Cool. Any reccomendations for character given their sets? Demon Hunter was kinda fun but I don't want to immediately do it again, wizard sounds cool but their set looks finicky. I like fast ranged guys a lot

I just wrapped up the basic season with a necro. The set they give you plus Jesseth’s scythe and shield is a pretty fun build, and it gets super good once you get a couple of specific necro rings. Not ranged exactly, but you’re letting your skeletons and mages do the damage while you hang back and spam spikes and more mages so it’s kinda ranged?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

The Wizard set requires you to cycle through 4 elements at least once but after that you can just alternate 2 to keep the buff up, it's a pretty fun and strong set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You still need to activate all four elements to keep the TR set bonus going. There's a 10 second window that refreshes every time a spell from a different school is cast, but it will drop off without using every element.