Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

quote:

"You might have noticed we’re setting up a small demo area this year right at the front of the main floor! Swing by and try out our convention-exclusive Diablo III experience! Something strange stirs just inside the gates of New Tristram. . . . Choose your favorite nephalem hero and find out what lies in store in this unique, one-off adventure!"

So um... what exactly was the Diablo 3 thing at Blizzcon? I was secretly hoping they would psyche us out and announce druids or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Yeah I know, but read the text that I quoted. They had some sort of on-floor demo that was Blizzcon exclusive.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 9, 2017

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

mewse posted:

I know as well. That's literally the only information I saw out of blizzcon regarding d3.

Ah, okay gotchya.

DrSeRRoD posted:

It was a Blizzcon-only rift level that had multiple bosses/RGs. They weren't allowed to stream or record their gameplay.

Welp, sounds like it was lame anyways. :\ Somehow I still have season fever and I'm playing a dumb necromans on EU while I wait for the US season to start...

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Did you get a Gem of Ease to rank 25 yet? That will cut the time it takes to get a guy from 1 to 70 down to about a half hour. You can socket a gem of ease in a level 70 legendary weapon and equip it on a Level 1 character, and kills get you like 1,750 XP!

Also a Hellfire Ring, those give tons of bonus XP and can equip at level 1.

Also put Leoric's Crown in kanai's cube so that your level 1 guy can equip that as his Kanai Cube power, and socket a ruby into your helmet immediately for even more XP.

Getting 1 to 70 should only take like 15-20 minutes on an alt with a tiny bit of planning ahead.

The hellfire amulet is equippable by a level 1 as well ;)

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Incoherence posted:

It is 2018 and you're out here talking about color palettes.

Maybe he is, and while I mostly enjoyed the art style of D3, tone and atmosphere are severely lacking in it's story..

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Mymla posted:

Story and atmosphere were a large part of why I enjoyed diablo 2 so much. Diablo 3 could've been a much better game if the story was good, or at least not so intrusively bad that literally deleting it was a selling point for the expansion.

The reason the story worked in D1 and D2 is because it was barely there. Enough to give a backdrop of "go kill a bunch of demons" and slightly more if you wanted to sperg out, read every NPC interaction, and pick up the accompanying books. There was enough left to the imagination that you could vicariously attach yourself to the character. D3 story telling is like Lucas over-explaining the Force working through mitochondria, with all the dialogue of Saturday morning cartoon villains. Metzen's world building seems at it's best when it can be ignored. Case study: WoW's story arch is such a convoluted mess. I at least have hope for Overwatch since he left the helm.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Smellem Sexbad posted:

Why are the D3 characters even in this garbage anyway?

Didn't they all show up in D3 because of the falling star? Also the wizard probably isn't even born yet.

Imagine having to close the opening ceremony with a mobile game. Brutal.

No witch doctor on release, but you can unlock him via 2500 HellBux

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

i... i never realized you could rearrange the skills on the challenge rift bar.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
Has anyone put out a tier list or convenient list of LoN builds? I've honestly never bothered to farm enough gear for one. Though I'd like to try a thorns necro...

Also if anyone missed it - this season we will have enough DB from CR to be able to craft & upgrade a lvl 70 weapon. It can then be equipped in the cube for leveling. Unless of course, it rolls reduced lvl requirement and ancient.
:getin:

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
Screwed around a bit on the PTR this morning before work. The seasonal buff procs so much, it has nearly 100% uptime. Haven't been able to group with other players, but having 4 of these up on the screen at a time is going to be chaos. No one will care after day 1 of of the season, but it's actually p. fun for leveling.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
yes - purple is damage boost, light blue is CDR, and dark blue is resource

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
Last I knew there were rumors of it being a Dark Souls clone. What they had to show last year was scrapped at the last minute and replaced with the mobile gaming announcement. Whether that means they tossed the whole idea, or there was any validity to those claims in the first place, is anyone's guess.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
I heard it originally in a Rhykker video. He's not too bad as youtube personalities go but he's particularly annoying in that video. So here's the article it's based on.

https://kotaku.com/the-past-present-and-future-of-diablo-1830593195

The writer has some credibility to previous leaks. That doesn't mean any of it is true. But it's also not... not true?

With Diablo 3 being ... not a commercial flop, but poorly received by critics and players. It's not to crazy to think they'd try to do something really dumb. Like re-brand it. Or push it to mobile...

Sounds cool in concept but I would still want an ARPG Diablo 4.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

With a ring of royal grandeur, you could stack the new monk set with Monkey King's Garb to get its damage reduction for Sweeping Wind.

The Fist of Heavens set really depends on how its damage reduction wears off, if all stacks are gone the second the timer is up, if each stack has its own five-second timer, or what.

Akkhan's set has a talisman, so depending on what set pieces are in the FoH set (belt? ring? shield?) a rorg with 3 pieces of Akk might be doable. As was mentioned earlier I don't see how you'll use it without the resource cost reduction from the Akkhan's set.
If new sets are meant to be used in combination with existing pieces, then they likely won't be a part of the Haedrig's cycle. Which would otherwise throw it "off" as new class sets are rolling out at different times. Though I hope that's not the case.
I guess we'll see in 2 days. :shrug:

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
Quin is livestreaming parts of the demo and asking the developer questions. Most questions have been met with a non-answer of "maybe" and "we don't know yet" Which makes sense I guess since it's 'not even coming Blizzard soon' but I can't believe I'm this apathetic for a new Diablo. And this stream isn't exactly helping.

No AH! Sets will be a stepping stone in power and eventually phased out or replaced with legendaries. Power creeps and adjusting legendary powers are likely going to be implemented each season to switch up the meta. "Customization will be mostly through legendary items. Like SoJ" Oh...

Vague answer that a crafting system will be in place. Somehow. Endgame will have some sort of reforging which might be part of crafting. Eh. Blizzard crafting systems have always been underwhelming.

He just asked about monetization. "Base game with expansions, cosmetics..."

We'll see how much of that holds up when its released in 3 years I guess?

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
That reminds me that there was a D2 mod for Starcraft 2 but it eventually disappeared, despite having come pretty far along. It would be cool if D4 could be mod friendly

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Field Mousepad posted:

Is the blizzard launcher sleeping for anyone else?

Yeah same issue here

e:
... Err. Nevermind. It just came back up. There was an issue with authentication servers according to their customer support twitter.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 13, 2020

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
I'm sure if you wanted this game on console you'd have it already; but PSA that it's on sale for $20 in Playstation Network. I'm done with the season already - but I'm still dumb enough to buy this just to play with a controller.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
The new necro set with the teeth rune on bonespear - feels like 3x multi-shots firing off. I think I have a new favorite speed/bounty set. :getin:

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Suburban Dad posted:

PTR was updated. No damage buff to the dh set, and it still isn't a WW set but they increased the momentum duration. Slight changes to necro. Hopefully they do a damage pass after the set is now working properly (in theory).
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/23420227/patch-269-ptr-begins-may-28-5-28-2020

Yeah I hope so too. I really like the new necro set. But, in it's current state it only feels good for speed runs or bounties. I would also love to see it buff more than just bonespear. My dream is to see a viable corpse explosion option with the new set. Or a slight rework of Inarius that makes thorns-necro a thing. As long as it plays differently than the boring LOD / Boneringer build.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Pixelante posted:

I understand what many of the words in this thread are, but lack a cohesive grasp of what they collectively mean.

Planning to play DH in the next season. What's a good build for soloing my way through rifts? I have no idea what equipment I should prioritize when the season gets going.

Same question for Barbarian, since I'll need something to play with the RL friends who have less covid time off than I do.

The free seasonal set for DH is very good for soloing, and easy to play. It's also the easiest to gear for. When you upgrade a yellow 70 dagger in the cube, DH has a chance of only making 2 daggers. Lord Greenstones Fan or Karlei's Point. Karlei's buffs Impale damage massively, which is the skill your season set uses as a damage dealer. After that you'll want to gamble and spend blood shard until you get the Demon Hunter quiver that compliments the set; Holy Point Shot. There are rings/amulets and bracers needed also, but they are nowhere near as crucial as those two items to making the set "work." In comparison, other classes have to farm / gamble for one specific item before their set feels complete or at full power. Necromancer, for example, are all reliant on a single ring which is a pain to farm/gamble/upgrade for.

The free set is obtained through the seasonal journey. And if any of that sounded like gibberish, here is a really good guide on the season journey, leveling, and gearing. Though a bit longwinded. Watch at 1.5x speed or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFLAIecF_sE

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
I'm really curious how they're going to make PvP work. A free for all zone where you get one shot sounds particularly awful. If they add modes like CTF it sounds thematically ... goofy, consider the return to grimdark mood and atmosphere. Ultimately I don't care as long as it's fun.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Tubgoat posted:

Gem of Ease power leveling trip report (Switch):
Rank 25 Gem of Ease in Executioner, Sebor's, Envious, Squirt's in Cube, set difficulty to Torment 6, first kill puts you at level 7, next level 14, then 18, and you don't have to change the difficulty until like level 49, in 5 minutes.
At that point you'll need to craft gear of the highest equippable and turn the difficulty down to Torment 3 or lower as needed in order to keep the levels rolling smoothly.

Gem of Ease does just what it says on the tin. Excellent work, Blizzard.

I have noticed that kiting enemies way higher level than you is much more challenging on the Switch as well, incentivising decreasing the difficulty earlier and more often than on PC.

the thorns gem is also p. good if you're powerleveling yourself. You can equip a hellfire amulet for your class at level 1 and it always has a socket.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
I want to do a full meme Asheara's / arcstone build now. If I'm reading correctly, the followers would benefit from the Asheara's set bonus? But it would not "carry over" to your character, via the new effect? Look out, GR 30!
I hope they eventually introduce a way to re-roll main stat into a desired stat. IE let me reroll my int gear to strength for my templar, etc.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
The Rathma rework sounded better on paper before actually playing it. It's a good example of D3 set/itemization issues limiting player choices. By nature of the set you are automatically locked in to using skeletal minions, revive, skeletal mage, army of the dead, and a generator (to cast command skeletons). That's 5 skills selected for you, and 1 optional because bone spirit actually kind of sucks :(

It's been so long since I used bone spirit, I forgot that it's cool down is refreshed by consuming corpses. Revive technically counts as a "consume corpse" effect, but you don't want to spam it to refresh your bone spirit. The new revives spawn near you and away from the enemy, meaning you're missing out on cooldown reduction to army of the dead. The huge AOE that destroys things faster than your bone spirit does, anyways. Not only that, you're already spamming skeletal mage. Remember how fun that used to be? You have to in order to keep the max amount of minions for better damage bonuses. It only feels slightly better because you get to spam other buttons, too! It reminds me of vanilla D3, when you would play witch doctor / the OG grave injustice. Mashing every button on your bar because your huge cooldowns were popping up every 1 second.

You can't even select different runes outside of poison, because it's too weak without the Nayr's Black Death effect. There's always a build that performs best, but I'm not just talking min-maxing. It feels really bad outside of T16 to use anything else in the cube. I'm not sure what the right changes are but I hope they give it another pass. It's actually fun for a rift or two, but for me it grows tiresome fast.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
I'll give that a shot, thanks! Witching hour for the belt?

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
The Rathma changes have been growing on me for T16 and low level GRs. The rune that makes AotD follow you around feels like Inarius with actual damage. Basically, it's Lazymancer 2.0.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
Yeah currently on the PTR, the filter is for "No 6 piece set bonus"
Meaning if you look at the Wizard 'No 6 piece set bonus' all the results are the tal'rasha's + firebirds set up.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
New changes up on the PTR, updated patch notes.
https://us.diablo3.com/en-us/blog/23623166

In other news I've played this game since Beta and never realized "the Murlocket" was a thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8BFDfvL4fo

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I cannot find a necro build I like. Isn't there one where you can just set a swirling whirlwind of bones around and walk through things until they die that was pretty powerful or at least powerful enough to run through t16 bounties etc with ease?

There is! You want some variation of lazymancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnphG0rhLCs
https://www.diablofans.com/builds/108550-s22-t16-2-6-10-lazymancer-inarius
https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/necromancer-generator-build-with-grace-of-inarius

There's some room to play around, I prefer using grim scythe.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

iamsosmrt posted:

This follower upgrade is supposed to be a permanent change going forward right? Are any of these buffs significant beyond them being glorified stat sticks and affixes? Can they play any active role to help rift clears otherwise?

I haven't played in a couple of seasons, I may jump in for this one, but ideally there'd be some other theme too.

Yes it's permanent for both seasonal and non-seasonal. A flavor of time + nem's for solo play should help with speeds, but followers otherwise won't output any damage.

I kind of wish there was a legit seasonal theme as well. I think the dream would be reworking Blackthorne's in some capacity to be a follower set. Then giving it a proper send off with the seasonal theme "Your follower causes desecrator, molten, or plagued effects"

I could finally make use of all my primal drops :yum:

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
Inarius necromancer was very tanky and strong back then. Part of the power came from the Mirinae gem and it's proc before the nerf.

https://www.polygon.com/diablo-3-necromancer-guide/2017/7/18/15921016/inarius-bone-storm-build

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
lmbo, they decided to ninja nerf Rat's. Bone spirit is no longer affected by the set now. Mention of it was stealth edited out of the last patch notes after people asked about it on the forums.

People are taking it to 120, I guess. It feels pretty awful to play imo, you just watch your one ability and wait for it to come off cooldown. At this point just let the minions deal some damage so you don't feel worthless while you wait around.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Suburban Dad posted:

Interesting. I didn't play with it much but bone spirit didn't seem to really fit on that set in the first place. Sounds like it's basically helltooth now but with army of the dead on top, that sounds terrible. Glad they're at least trying to make it work but it still needed more time in the oven.

Yeah, it's nowhere near polished. You can only make it "A tier" by doing the obsidian ring of the zodiac + command skeletons numlock trick.
edit: oops! guess that's changed. The leader boards show you don't need it now, just have 5k paragon and all ancients :D

Whirlwind barb it is, then!

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 1, 2021

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
So Season 24 didn't end properly in Asia; meaning people now have both ethereals and soul shards equipped. lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFh2t29Fn5g

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Bardeh posted:

I'll happily play for a while (on PC) without spending any money. If I can get a dozen or so hours of free fun out of it without coming up against any hard P2W walls then I'll be happy with that.

I put several hours in today and I think you'll easily meet those expectations if you have no interest in endgame. That's how I approach ARPG stuff these days. I like the dopamine fix while leveling then I just peace out.

Monetization aside (lol), my biggest complaint with this game is that it CONSTANTLY wants to interrupt its own gameplay with dialogue prompts. So far the story has been Maghda 2.0 "Oh no, this villain has outsmarted you YET AGAIN! You must follow them!"

The voice acting is good but I skip through it. There is a "codex" that constantly spams you with nearly hidden micro-achievements/rewards. They're pointless. They could completely clear themselves and give you the rewards. You spend too much time clicking through the UI instead of killing things.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 2, 2022

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
It's a Playstation only thing, it's standard with the Ultimate Evil edition.

I've never seen them myself but I rarely play on console.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
While I'm absolutely an idiot that would happily spend on cosmetics *IF* the game is great, I cannot believe that the best cosmetics will be available without cash. And that kind of sucks. I've always thought it could be interesting to implement a crafting system for cosmetics, since crafting in many mmo-ish games feels unrewarding. Often the gear is quickly replaced.

That said I really enjoy most of the armor and concept art. That dude in the preview with a lion's head over his shoulder - he feels like something out of Conan. The necro reveal had a great horror and fantasy feel as well. It's pretty rad that they can combine the more classic fantasy vibe with the supernatural, and it still feels like it lives in the same world.

Hot take, but I think adding a million wings and pendants to the game destroys that vibe. Pendants in D3 always looked so goofy to me on the player's back. They should have been replacement options for your player banner instead.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
OH snap, I might have to come back to that game. FYI you can still play the base game of Outriders for $1 via a trial for Xbox PC Game Pass. There was a free demo as well, but it seemed really limited and not a great representation of the game.

Be aware I don't think your progress would carry over if you switch to Steam later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
just realized those Whisper of Atonement gems count toward the season journey / level 3 legendary gems to 70 achievements.

The new wizard set melts everything but I refuse to play it without the lightning rune that makes them land faster. I put a manald ring into the mix but I don't think it's contributing that much tbh