Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
From reading the skill descriptions it seems like an army of skeletons is actually hard to maintain? Not even sure if I want to kill time with this until the XCOM 2 / Forza 7 / Shadow of War quarter of hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Back in my day, SkeleMancers were universally reviled for their ability to make the D2 server you were on slow to a crawl.

Act 2 merc with Destruction cares nothing for your Ubers run

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 30, 2017

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Necro is fun to the point where I almost wish I hadn't Gem of Ease power-leveled to the mid 60's. I feel like gaining a level on every monster kill prevented me from really exploring the class, and I'm really heavy on corpse and minion skills now with zero curses. I guess we'll see what happens when I factor in real drops.

Still, holy gently caress Blizzard should pay me to look at that portrait.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there a skill stack for Necro that's comparable to LotD + Corpse Lance for single-target damage for elites / bosses / guardians? Right now I run Siphon, Bone Spear, CE, Lance, Skeletons and Bone Golem. I use Spear or the minions to drop the first corpse and spend them appropriately, but that's obviously only good for running bounties and even then elites can slow me down significantly. The problem I have is that the LotD cooldown is excruciating.

I have the Scarlet Visage to work with but otherwise no good gear yet.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

MMAgCh posted:

There are legendary gloves (Moribund Gauntlets, if memory serves) that cause your golem to generate a free corpse every second.
Thanks, hit those after only a couple hundred blood shards. Massive improvement because I can drop Bone Spear and fit LotD back in!

E: Actually the corpse drop pace is high enough to switch with Army for T1. This really opens up my options either way.

PathAsc posted:

TightVNC is pretty good, I've used it in the past for multiple things. Everything you need is on the front page pretty much. There's plenty of guides.

Chrome Remote Desktop is user friendly as hell, and lightweight.

Dell used to have a sweet one, but they took it off the market years ago.

I've used all of them and they all do a fine job. You're probably going to get all you need with chrome though.
Microsoft also has RDP clients for iOS and Android now. Accept no substitute.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 11, 2017

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Some of the new monster lore mentioned Scosglen and I instantly wished we'd gotten a Druid pack instead. The runes on Shapeshift could have been pretty great even if they flooded the game with more furries than Bloody Roar.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
well, they ARE cursed

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's fun but my build was getting miserable around lvl 61 until I found two specific legendary items. Even Monk wasn't this much of a slog when I first played the class. There are definitely skills that could use a redesign.

e: and next season I'm playing Monk just for the Thousand Storms gift.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 12, 2017

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I have a Blessed Shield machinegun Crusader who's pushing into T12 now that he has ancient items everywhere but Legacy of Nightmares and Gyrfalcon's Foote. Single targets with no ads give me issues as I can't stack ricochets, so I swapped Bane of the Powerful to Bane of the Stricken. Is that the right choice in gems? His other is Molten Wildebeest's Gizzard (no socket on the amulet and I already rerolled it for +% Holy).

What's my most efficient path to making the LoN and GF ancient items? Reforging seems incredibly expensive even with T11/12 farming.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Star Man posted:

I've been playing a lot of Diablo II since last week and I don't know how I'm going to feel tomorrow when the new season in Diablo III starts.
I imagine "elated" the first time your pet picks up gold for you. I miss the art direction but holy poo poo the quality of life improvements are huge.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've rolled an Ancient Hellfire amulet for my Barbarian with 943 Str / 5% IAS / 711 Armor / Rampage. Not great, but the passive is nice. What should I re-roll? I feel like the IAS should go as I'm rolling an Earthquake / Avalanche build and only Seismic Slam could conceivably benefit, but the armor I could easily get back by swapping Rampage for Tough As Nails.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Ugh the rolls on my first four pieces of Thousand Storms have been so bad I've thrown two of them in the stash in favour of rares. I'd been hunting this set in non-season for awhile but the four piece bonus is really not helpful on its own.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How do I pick up jeweller recipes? That's the last thing I have left for the season journey and the last bit of my set before tackling those insane conquests. They expect me to do all that poo poo for a stash tab?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Suspicious posted:

No. Melee classes get hosed over by fire chains.
I run Azkaranth in my cube for just this reason. Clears and even heals you from mortar, chains, death explosions and quite a few traps. Only comparable one for number of deaths it will save you is Mara's against a couple of rift bosses like Voracity.

spit on my clit posted:

Witch doctor with cubed bovine polearm + skeleton-summoning necklace, fetish sycophants, six zombie dogs, and cleaving gargantuan. Does it get better than this? Oh, wait, I haven't completed my helltooth set bonus. It does.

edit: oh right, I got the bracers that increase Wall of Death damage by 83% and lets me cast it three times within two seconds. everything is going to melt.
There's a totem or whatever that removes the cost of Grasp of the Dead and the spider set will skyrocket the damage of enemies standing in it. I run that instead of Helltooth and get a giant spider pet to go with it.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 26, 2017

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
CoE needs a rework so badly. It's not fun to need one in the cube for all the top-tier builds and having it be timed is the worst part about it. I figured out a way to fix it but because it means a new gem class it will never happen:

1) Bring back sapphires
2) Have CoE automatically roll a socket and boost whatever element by 50-60%:
Ruby - Fire, Topaz - Lightning, Emerald - Poison, Sapphire - Cold, Amethyst - Holy/Arcane, Diamond - Physical
2a) If you use the socket for a legendary gem it does nothing extra
3) No cubing; you have to wear it

No class can do both Arcane and Holy to my knowledge but if someone figures out a build to exploit Amethysts it would be sufficiently gimmicky to not be a world-beater.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 27, 2017

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What's the least annoying Monk set dungeon to master? I have Raiment from the season gift but no In-geom, but pretty much everything else from http://teambrg.com/diablo-3/raiment-set-dungeon-build-guide-mastery/ and it's annoying as hell to clear the first three straights after taking off my Shenlongs for stuff that doesn't mess with Spirit levels. I've swapped skills around to get more charges on Dashing Strike and use Jawbreaker to get free charges as those tend to limit me more than Spirit, as well as stacked CDR...?

It's either I farm breaths to cube up In-geom or build up another set, but gently caress are these things irritating.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 29, 2017

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SiliconX posted:

IIRC, Sunwuko's is pretty drat easy, and Inna's ain't bad either. Uliana's is the worst of the 4 by far.
Thanks I have Inna's and I'm close to Sunwoko. Might not have all the cube items I need but I've got a lot of them in the queue. If I don't get into the last tier of conquests this season I'm probably not getting the stash tab; feeling burnt out as it is.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Guilty posted:

Then maybe you and the rest of the casual crew can lay off the thread when people who actually play the game give useful advice instead of just crying "tryhard leaderboard chasers!!!!" And making GBS threads up the thread??

quote:

About the Author

This build is presented to you by Deadset, one of the very few professional Diablo 3 players. Deadset regularly publishes video guides on Youtube and streams on Twitch, where you can see how this and other builds play out in practice.

When does Season 11 end? I gave up on mastering a set dungeon and the last tier to get the stash tab looks too frustrating to be worthwhile, but I need a time sink while I listen to podcasts.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Did D2 Resurrected do anything about the utterly impossible drop rates, or add instanced loot? I can't believe I'm considering buying D2 for a third loving time (and with Kotick still in charge) but ARPGs don't exactly have a good intersection of quality and ethics.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

D2 resurrected is so good but the idea of rolling an online character fills me with a visceral fight or flight response, its just absolutely tedious doing any kind of mid-late game stuff without the /player command
Do what I used to do, and name your game "Free PTorch". When the last player arrives, tell everyone you dropped it somewhere in the Act 2 final tombs, Act 3 jungle or Arcane Sanctuary. Proceed to solo Baal while everyone wastes their time.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I wouldn't really be thinking about D2R this much if it was more than another ten bucks on top of D3 with their summer sale. At least I'd only be buying D3 a second time.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Star Man posted:

It's called a house style.

WarCraft III, World of WarCraft, StarCraft II, and Diablo III all use the Blizzard house style that's been in use since 2001. You can even see elements of it in WarCraft II's and StarCraft's concept art by Sam Wise.

Overwatch's in-game art is the beginning of Blizzard's house style going through a major change, but a lot of its concept art still carries a lot of the 2001-2014 style.

Studios develop house styles all the time. It gives a sense of identity for the company and their products. You can tell Disney cartoons apart from Warner Bros cartoons. Or a director will just have a particular artistic vision and all of their work will have a certain look, like shows done by Bruce Timm of Don Bluth.
It's fair to say house style influenced Diablo 3, but it did so to the series' detriment:

1) Diablo 1 and 2 light radius and the constant grim poo poo you'd find in level art worked together to create a horror aesthetic that the house style wipes out utterly with overly bright colours and clearly-seen monsters.

2) The music absolutely fell flat in the same regard.

3) Hordes of enemies went from being existential threads to something you just plow through (this is design and not art style, but I feel like "busy" overlaps with the art choice significantly).

They seemed to have learned their lesson for D4, but the bottom line is I should be scared going into a new dungeon.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Zenithe posted:

The only time diablo was scary was meeting the butcher the first time when I was 12
I admit this might be significantly tilting my opinion...

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The council at the back half of D2 Act 3 were probably worse in total. Then there was getting killed by Duriel's loading bottleneck.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

JonathonSpectre posted:

My friend and I once died roughly 100x apiece to a random bright red boss bat in Diablo I in the catacombs. It was way faster than us and hit like a loving truck. We'd basically zone in, walk two steps, it would beeline to us and kill one of us and the other guy would hit it. One time. Then we'd both be back in town. But we were young and refused to give up, and when two hours later we finally killed it the bat dropped a loving set of plate mail.

To this day when poo poo starts to go south we both yell, "OH NO THE BAT!" and when we find something completely unexpected we say, "This bat was carrying plate mail."

I still don't understand how he could fly so fast clutching that plate. Then again, he was red.
This, but Bremm Sparkfist rolling Phys Immune, or meeting Treehand Woodfist on Nightmare at only level 24. D3 sort of had this pre-expansion with Inferno mode with insane affix combinations, but you couldn't even grind your way through like you and your brother did with that bat.

Not saying I miss old D3 but it did have some of those old school "loving RUN" moments.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 28, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there a non-braindead way to farm the Puzzle Ring or portals to Greed? I have to clear that on Torment 13+ and foolishly used the only ring I've found so far on T7-ish. I know the ring table is huge but I've gotten everything else twice tonight.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Funky See Funky Do posted:

On what platform? They're a pretty common drop. Goblins will also randomly open portals to the vault if you want to go hunt them in adventure mode. GR90 has the max amount of loot that can drop so running those as fast as you can is the best way to get anything to drop.

If you're on PC there's a community you can join where people will run puzzle rings.
Hmm I didn't know about the GR cap; thanks. I started to struggle at around 85-87 after only five days of owning this game again :cripes:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

These days pretty much every class has at least a few ways to roll 120s with ease so there are likely still many more optimizations you could make.
Oh, for sure. I still need to get my legendary gems up to par and only one or two pieces of gear are ancient.

e: I should probably specify that "struggle" means "less than 10min left on the clock".

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What build are you running?
Raekor's A-10 Warthog.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 1, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Field Mousepad posted:

This is probably my favorite thing to do now, melting everything with a gem of ease on your second character is so much fuckin fun.
I did something similar to get BillyWitchDoctor dot com from 1 to 31 to gamble those rings, and I overshot to 32 because he leveled too fast on T6 to keep track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I crit for 14 trillion now. Hopefully numbers are human-countable in D4.