Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

serious question, how does one have a tournament with entertainment style wrestling? Because of all the showmanship involved I dont see how its a competition. Is it basically a fitness contest and the person who gets tired first loses and gets pinned?

Well, pro-wrestling is basically a performance that's telling a story via the format of a sporting contest, so a regular match has a winner and a loser pre-determined. A tournament just means the booker/writer comes up with a bunch of those matches in a tourney format, the winners advancing (if single-elimination as most are) and the losers don't, until the story climaxes with the final match and the final winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How is Baszler? I'm surprised they'd be willing to bring someone so relatively new, even with the minor notoriety she has via Ronda.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
November Takeover: Kay Lee Ray vs Nikki Cross in a Glesga chib on a pole match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vaguido posted:

"It looks like she should've been called KAIRI INSANE MAMA MIA" - Mauro after Kairi does something high risk

You're dreaming if you think he'll pass up an 'insane in the membrane' line.

Either that or Lita will do it during the actual show.

Also looks like maybe the qualifiers from the NXT taping aren't going to be on the NXT TV show but just put up on WWE.com?

Happy to see Viper involved, the tourney needed a big girl to throw little ladies around the ring.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Scottish burds invadin' WWE. Want Nikki, Kay Lee and Viper/Piper to gang up and batter some Yanks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The intro parade thing is on now on the WWE facebook and YouTube. And of course Steph is doing the intro.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I doubt it, unless they actively signed a WWE long-term deal. The CWC guys that didn't stay obvious had to give WWE first refusal on the dates that the shows were taping, but otherwise were free to work as they would.

Is the plan to have the semis and the finals after that SD taping or just the literal final match, because they did a press release today that implies the latter which seems kinda dumb, and they could probably just throw it out on Smackdown proper if that was the idea?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

Given the rep, I'm guessing it was Tessa?

That's gotta be Teddy Hart level for them to not give the daughter of one of the Four Horsemen a chance.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

I know you are joking, but I wouldn't go that far. Kairi's (spoken) English isn't the strongest right now.

I would put her b/w Asuka and Nakamura in terms of fluency. I imagine by the time she actually debuts on NXT, she'll have a decent grasp of the language, but until then. I don't remember if there is a goon in here who teaches English in Japan (I think it was Auritech?), but it's a really hard language to learn either way. I couldn't tell you how Japan does it, outside of there being certification for it (EIKEN).

In terms of being able to cut promos, it kind of goes Tozawa>Nakamura>Asuka>Itami, right now, ya? (Itami's English seems better but his delivery is worse than Asuka's)

RealFoxy posted:

I've tried looking for it but since she named her softcore bikini DVD the same thing as a joke, it's really hard to find the actual paper she wrote but I found some posts that summarized it on Reddit.
It'd be pretty funny if the video was just her posing and such while reading the manifesto.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

Sorry for the double post, but Io Shirai posted a new blog entry that explained the situation a bit more. She found a doctor in Japan who took really good care of her neck, and combined with rehab, feels like she is ready to get back into the ring, which is why she's coming back for the 5* GP. I'm interested to see what Dave says about it, combined with the reaction from WWE. His Japanese sources are shaky, but I'm pretty sure his sources with regards to WWE contracts are pretty solid.

I imagine afterwards, she'll probably challenge Mayu for the title again, then leave for the WWE. Then again, there are some people that are speculating that WWE pulled their contract offer, which is why she's returning this soon.

It depends on what the injury was, I assume. If it was, like, muscular or something, then in theory rehab and the right treatment might have helped enough to make her good to go. If it was to do with the spine, though, that's unlikely to have been fixed.

Wasn't there some buzz that Styles had a neck issue before he came to WWE, though, and he's been fine?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Oh for gently caress's sake... it'd be one thing if it was just dumb, but like, Katsuyori Shibata LITERALLY ALMOST DIED LADIES!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Can't wait for her to debut on the main roster and Vince to make sure she never sounds that likeable or relatable ever again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

she was married to Hulk, dude.

Brooke. Not Linda.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Will they promote it, or desperately stick their heads in the sand and pretend she and John don't have one foot out the door?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

Just started watching but early spoiler:

I'm a Rhea Ripley mark

Ok nonspoiler thoughts. It was good but uneven, we knew this field wasn't as deep as the CWC and it showed, but I am hyped for round 2.

JR and Lita aren't a good team really, both could be fine with the right partner, but Lita isn't comfortable filling lots of air and JR gives her a lot to fill. When she rambles it can be real bad, but when making short points she is just fine. Mauro and Lita would have been better, or maybe JR and Graves.

The first ep was the worst in my opinion, but it got better from there. Tessa was the one upset by her booking right? I can understand being upset losing in the first round, but she got a great partner and was the final match of the first round. That spot was Ciampa in the CWC so it's not like it doesn't have some prestige to it. She was good, and Saine was by far the best as expected.

I was pleasantly surprised by Taynara, Ripley, and Evers. Baszler looked slow and bad and I really hope they don't push her past her skill level, which she already is basically. Some good matchups on tap for round 2, as the better workers mostly won and moved on. Evie won, so I am happy.

Also we really need a mean Aussie lady stable in WWE, so much talent there

EVERS? Did we watch the same match? She looked AWFUL. Now, Belle looked atrocious as well, but you could have told me it was both women's first match and I would've believed you. And I liked Baszler, she looks like she's doing something similar to people like ZSJ, just with a bit more of a size advantage so she can power people around.

Toni Storm has a ton of charisma, and the best line from the pre-match promos was her patronising apology for hurting her opponent. Plus tiny hat.

RIP Kavita Devi, kicked to death by a Kiwi pixie.

Mia Yim and Sarah Logan was super-good, and came off like both women knew each other, in a good way, where they could set up spots for each other to shine and pay off things later in the match

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i haven't been following the hype for this, but i saw a video on facebook and i was just wondering, if "jazzy gabert" wishes to intimidate, what the gently caress is with the name "jazzy gabert"

It's the name the NXT Name Generator gives you if you switch the gender option to female after getting Lloyd Boner.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mulaney Power Move posted:

she should form an intergender team with crazzy steve and become team "jazzy crazzy"

Jazzy Gabert and the fresh Princesa (Sugehit)

edit: (e4) Lacey Evans' gimmick is just Liberty Belle from Netflix GLOW, right?

Ooh, the judo gi is a nice touch for Conti.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 29, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hey, if they've watched NJPW, they've seen Taguchi's rear end-bassed offence anyway!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Kairi doesn't have a pirate gimmick. She just dresses like one on the way to the ring because she likes pirates. She is not being portrayed as an actual pirate or anything.

Like Becky. She wears the dumb Steampunk stuff but like her character isn't a Victorian time traveler.

And it's a cool look and the music is GREAT. The whole presentation just screams that she's different and special. It's like Nakamura's violin entrance or the Shield entering from the crowd.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

The Dakota Kai vs Kavita Devi match has 1.3 million views on YouTube as of this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9TZNPmEBnk

I hope this doesn't end with Kavita getting a push onto the main roster too early, but knowing WWE, it'll happen. :sigh:

I should mention that as far as I can tell, it isn't translating to network views though, so who knows!

Probably just people wanting to see that fuckin' kick at the finish (which, lol, the finish is basically the only thing cut from that clip)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

This is some good wrestling and I really hope a lot of these women get signed to breathe some new life into the women's division.

I really like Kairi Sane, but I feel like her whole gimmick could be tweaked a little bit to make her come across as more of a threat, a bit less pirate at a kid's birthday party and a bit more actual pirate I guess. Keep the pirate stuff though I love that gimmick. That elbow drop is something to behold and she's still probably my personal favorite out of the bracket.

I also hope we get a lot more big women in the mix. I wanna see some solid women's hoss matches in WWE and there aren't a lot of big motherfuckers on the roster right now.

She's basically an anime pirate, which is almost exactly the right tone to strike. And I adore the whole look and music, it's so different than anyone else on the roster that it immediately screams to pay attention to her.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DM Punk posted:

The commentary is a BIT better in these later rounds, but I feel like JR kept going back to the same talking points for each woman. It got really annoying by the semi final matches.

Lita's the same, I think she said that bit about young girls not knowing to be intimidated about 4 times in ep 5 and 6.

This is where the CWC commentary team shone, because Mauro, Bryan and even Corey would certainly have followed guys like ZSJ, Ibushi and Metalik enough to know more than what's bullet-pointed on a sheet of A4.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ep7: :aaaaa: GARGANO ESCAPE!!!! :aaaaa:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Yo I watched the first MYC episode and really liked it, but I don't think I'm going to have time to binge the other seven eps before the final airs. Anyone have up a set of recommendations for each episode on the very good matches I should watch? I'll try to see everything, I just might run out of time and want to watch the finals live

The main events and the Baszler match from the first 4 are probably the 'important' ones from the first round.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"Least dangerous submission"?! Wasn't it a cross armbar?! So she's either lying or an idiot?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

Ep 7:

Candice did a really good job against Shayna. I never thought she had a chance at the start but by the end I would have totally bought it if she'd won

This is a more coherent version of my post about it. The pop when she got the Gargano Escape on Shayna was ridiculous!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
At the very least throw Nigel or Corey in the booth with them on Tuesday.

Assuming they do sign 3 or 4 girls that they didn't already have, I'm guessing Shayna, Piper, Candice and Mia are the most likely. Toni Storm would seem like a shoo-in, but I think she's the Ibushi of this group.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 6, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

If, as I imagine Shayna Bayzler is going straight to the main roster to do this Horsewomen feud then I think Kairi should win the MYC and be the top face in the NXT Women's Division. MYC title would mean more for her than Shayna who already gets the legitimacy of having Ronda in her corner.

I could see Shayna doing some explicit heel stuff like using the ropes and Becky or Charlotte comes down to the ring to counter it, letting Kairi make her comeback. Kairi wins, but Ronda and crew beat down the Smackdown gals because of the numbers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Evans' gimmick is almost literally the Liberty Belle gimmick from the Netflix GLOW series, but played straight. And even GLOW acknowledged how easily that can come off as a heel with the wrong opponent.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

This is so loving great :allears:

Please tell me that was the finish. Also the shine, heat and comeback.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

Unfortunately that was not the finish. The gif didn't show it, but Hiromi kicked out. :(

Aww, the idea of someone basically Yano-ing themselves through being an egotistical jerk is too good not to do.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No idea if Scoops McRovert's sources would know, but how does Vince reconcile how over Bayley was in NXT and at her Raw debut with what's happened? I assume he won't make the connection between the booking and her current situation, but like, what else is there? Just generic "oh, she can't cut it on the big stage" excuses?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

rovert posted:

He thinks she's ugly. Pretty much that. Also tries too hard to be a good wrestler whatever that means.

Ah, the Christian/Sami problem? Though that just explains why he doesn't like her, not how he can see twelve thousand people explode when she pinned Sasha in Brooklyn and then 3 years later she's getting half-hearted boos at best and not think "have we mishandled this?".

I suppose it's like the inverse of the Reigns thing. Once Vince has decided you're good or bad, you basically need to move mountains to overcome it. Or leave for a year or two and come back with a new 'natural' shredded body.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Kairi wins clean, but Shayna et al attack her afterwards, leading to the WWE 4HW making the save. There, Unca' Paul, I wrote your angle for you.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Apparently they're doing a recap show for the MYC after Raw, including airing what I assume was a buffer match on the undercard of the second day of tapings, with 6 of the first round losers in a tag match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ah, that very rare rule 63 Toru Yano fetish

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So, Shayna's in.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And just remember, this is all Toni Storm's fault, even though the video appears to show her not even touch Mayu.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SleepCousinDeath posted:

so we've come to the conclusion that Toni Storm does actually have psychic powers, right?

Just like how Rosemary psychically made Sexy Star try to rip her arm out of the socket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Please, the only reason Tozawa was banned from using the German as a finish is because his are better than Brock.