Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Does it ever show up for cheap on this Massdrop place? $150 yankee funbucks with an extra $49.90 for the cheapest shipping, or $258 dollarydoos all up, is a little bit beyond stretching my budget

They've had the CODE full-sized and TKL before with Clears, but IIRC it wasn't ~that~ much cheaper, maybe like $20 off at full discount.

Good OP, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

LionArcher posted:

I never knew about the Vector Race 3 until this morning, and now I must have it. I've been a blue guy, but now I'm unsure about them versus clears. I have a sample key switch thing, and I've noticed the clear switch feels heavy. As a writer, anyone have a strong case of why clears are better than blues? I work in a home office.

They're tactile switches like browns but heavier. A fair share of people who try/use browns but complain about how easily they actuate often find clears more preferable.

Also, maybe 3 years ago they were harder to come by (I think the CODE website advertises them as 'rare'). That isn't the case anymore, but mech keyboard members love the niche/rare.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

surebet posted:

yes!

this was for a wasd version without keycaps; i'd argue heavily in favor of always going the capsless route if you can live without backlighting.

the code keyboard is the same basic wasd but with backlighting, however i've yet to see the code be offered without caps. effectively, if you're going to ditch the caps, backlighting is going to cost you ~$40.

WASD and CODE backplate construction differ slightly, but not enough to matter if you didn't care in the first place. They're both solid boards.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

blugu64 posted:

Massdrops ergodox infinity was supposed to ship five days ago, no updates, and support will only give a form letter, and an offer to cancel :argh:

My Planck was supposed to ship at the end of June ;_;

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I assembled a Planck and took a risk on Matias Quiet Pro switches and I'm never going back. Sorry MX clears

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Anyone got recommendations for where I can pick up non-OEM Matias keycaps? I think Matias Quiet Clicks are my favorite switches but it's a pain in the rear end finding keycaps for em. Don't need anything fancy colored or unique legends, just something in different profiles.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

General Specific posted:

I got a V60 Matias Mini a while back (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/35911) and it's been a great keyboard to throw in a backpack and use at work, but the spacebar is warped enough (despite being ABS) that I can't get both stabilizer clips to stay down.
Is there any reliable source of keycaps for ALPS stems? Or am I going to have to harvest an AT101 for a PBT set and memorize the Fn shortcuts?

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dcs-alps-mount-space-bar-pack-of-1/ or https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-alps-mount-space-bar-pack-of-1/

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

TheFluff posted:

That's not surprising to me in the slightest. Spherical profile keycaps went out of fashion almost 40 years ago and have since stayed out of fashion because they were unergonomical as gently caress. They're a novelty gimmick, and an uncomfortable one at that. Conventional wisdom (cylindrical profile) is conventional for a reason: that poo poo works.

PBT vs ABS is a very minor difference but PBT keycaps do keep their texture better in my experience and I like the feel of not-shiny keycaps. Other than that there's basically no practical difference (except if you plan on keeping the caps for 10+ years or so, at which point yellowing becomes a thing for ABS).

Speaking of keycaps though, I ordered a Matias board and now I'm trying to find PBT keycaps with Alps mounts, which is turning out to be a thing that's too obscure even for weirdo group buys. Rumor has it though that the much maligned rubber dome Apple Design Keyboard kept the Alps mounts and PBT keycaps of its predecessor the AEK II, and I think there might be an ADB somewhere in my dad's basement, so off I go on another treasure hunt.

PimpMyKeyboard has a page for DSA PBT Matias Blanks, but they're always low stock/OOS when I check - might be worth emailing them to check about availability though? (https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-alps-mount-1-space-pack-of-10/)

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Burno posted:

I have one of the massdrop 75 key orthos (Idobo) with QMK on it and gateron browns that I don't think I'm going to end up using.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/75keys-aluminum-mechanical-keyboard-kit

Why haven't haven't you used it? I'm asking because I'm considering picking up the ID75 drop that is pretty similar: link

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

SoftNum posted:

Hey all I was hoping to get some advice.

Is there a keyboard that I can buy, that is also friendly to modifications after the fact, namely swapping out the switches. I would like to find either a 70% (ideal) or a TKL keyboard for work. The nature of my work is I need something fairly portable (I work from several locations and those often change over the course of several months), and I would like switches with a tactile feel, but with the option of switching to something quieter if/when people complain. Like start out with Cherry Browns, but then re-switch it for zlients or something if too many of my coworkers complain.

Is this feasible? Ideally I would like to keep under $150 all in for the initial purchase. Is it worth pursuing this? or is it just better to resign myself to replacing the keyboard if I get too many complaints?

FWIW I have had several mechanical keyboards but this would be the first I am traveling with.

I don't think they support full key remapping and their branding is a overdone (i.e. maybe not work appropriate) but the GMMK comes in TKL and 60% and lets you order without switches or caps to keep the price extremely low. EDIT and, more to the point, they allow switch swapping without soldering

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Costar stabilizers (wire spanning the width of the spacebar)? Did you lose the plastic inserts?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

i vomit kittens posted:

Apologies if this isn't the right thread but I can't think of anywhere better to ask. I'm trying to make some more room on my desk so that I'll actually have room to write by moving my MIDI keyboard. What I'm trying to find is a keyboard tray that can swivel out so that I can put it off to the side of my desk and "turn" it towards me, like in the drawing below. I want the MIDI keyboard to sit under my desk roughly in about the same spot that it sits on top in the top part, and be able to move it to where it is in the bottom graphic. I've searched for "swiveling keyboard trays" online but this yields results that look like they function very differently from each other so I'm not sure which would suit my need without seeing it in person. Does anyone happen to know of something like what I'm talking about?

(sorry for the lovely MS paint graphic)

There's a thread for physical desktops that seems to be the discussion place for things like desk buying and other related things. You might have better luck there.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

Btw I'm selling a Moonlander if anyone is interested.

Has kalih box whites but it's hot swappable.

Was there something you didn't like about it?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

holy loving poo poo that is cursed.
I'm impressed and I have seen some poo poo.

the F is in weird arrow shaped island cluster and the J isn't but they both still seem to have scooped profiles like they're still supposed to be home keys and the T is offset from the top row and the space bars are different sizes and what the gently caress is going on here

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

great big cardboard tube posted:

Are there any recommended keyboards with a volume wheel?

I have an old Corsair that has been beaten up moving several times/a spill or two I'd like to replace but it has a volume wheel I use all the time and feel like I'd really miss...

Does it have to be a wheel? Plenty of keyboards offer ways to control media (track pause/play/next/previous, volume) without the wheel via keybindings, eg. the CODE uses the "Menu" button next to the right CTRL + a key in the Insert cluster to do so.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Minorkos posted:

Anyone know what kind of keyboard I should look for as someone whose hand muscles get sore from typing? I've been wrestling with tendonitis in my right forearm on-and-off for a while now, and though hand/wrist exercises have partially helped it, I've noticed that using my old (non-mechanical) keyboard still aggravates it. I'm wondering if there's a specific brand or type of keyboard with very light/soft button presses for someone like me.

Aside from the usual ergonomic checklist (forearms parallel to ground, elbows close to your torso), you can also try tenting your keyboard by elevating your palm rest and the half of the keyboard closest to you so you're typing at a negative incline, keeping your wrists are constantly above your hands. Worth trying it out by putting things under your palm rest/keeb before buying a whole new keyboard, but it might be hard with whatever you have laying around though.

If your want to just buy a whole new keyboard, tented or split keyboards seem to be the way to go for pain you describe, anecdotally. For the pain you describe, I've had coworkers and friends swear by the Goldtouch (open palm tented of vary degrees) and Kinesis line (Advantage is a single board but split layout and tented, Freestyles are split). I don't have any experience with them, but you can drop a lot of cash on the Ergodox or Moonlander, which are tented and split.

Switch weight could play a factor, but I don't think it would make as big a difference as changing your typing posture.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I've never owned/held a Royal Kludge but the few friends I've recommended them to have been pretty happy, though they were mostly coming from 8+ year old Corsair keyboards and just wanted "cheap, browns, media controls, and reasonably built."

One complained about the RGB lighting but you can turn that off completely.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I need to get a new keyboard for work, and I want a decent-to-nice one because the crappy Logitech they provided for me is utter garbage and makes me want to die when I use it (also no dip switches for macos input). I got the tenkeyless MK Disco in late 2017, and I'm considering just bringing that in to work and upgrading at home. It's Cherry browns, though, and work is an open plan office. Do people find Cherry browns disruptive in open offices?

Then there's the matter of upgrading at home. I'm kinda torn between getting a 100% or sticking with 80% and buying a separate numpad/macro pad for Final Fantasy purposes. Any recs for both kinds, as well as numpads/macro pads? Nothing all that much fancier than the MK Disco.

Sound tolerance will always hinge on your neighbors and environment. My manager's MX Browns and my MX Clears were tolerable in our pod, but the entire floor was VERY open plan - rows of desks, if you wanted quiet you were expected to get a conference room - so there was no expectation of silence, and everyone had headphones. I'd say give it a shot but I'd be ready reverse course if anyone complained. Being able to use a mechanical keyboard at work isn't a hill I'm willing to die on professionally, though I don't have RSI or a condition that could change the calculus

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

That doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot, imho. Most hobbies are chock full of things that are hated by pros but are still perfectly serviceable (sometimes even ideal) solutions for beginner and intermediate level folks. Humans have a remarkably consistent tendency to completely and utterly forget what something was like in the beginning, and become unable to think in anything but endgame terms (no offense to your friends, just speaking in generalities here). Often the pro choice is the pro choice because of the other very specific things they do along with it, and is not unilaterally applicable on its own (or at all).

I used to manage a hobby shop and if I had a dollar for every time I heard someone give bad advice (both customers and employees) that needed to be corrected because the person they were advising was never, ever going to successfully do (or even attempt) their sacred solution, I could have quit that job so much sooner.

I think it's getting worse in that discourse about hobbies is often stilted towards long-time members and all parties involved are quicker to monetize hobbies.

O-rings are fine, and they're probably the cheapest thing in mechanical keyboards you buy and try out, just gotta make sure you've got clear intentions and managed expectations like with other purchase

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

What're good options for split keyboards aside from the Iris, Moonlander, and Ergodox EZ? Don't mind some soldering.

Sorely tempted by the NK87 EE and some of their desk pads too though

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ok I’m just some random shmuck and the OP is going about 200 levels further down than I care to research. I saw the quick picks, but they looked like they were low profile or had something I just didn’t like about them all.

I’m looking for a keyboard that:
- Has a 10-key numpad
- Doesn’t have low profile keys like a laptop or whatever. I like some travel on them.
- Isn’t a clacky-rear end annoyingly loud one, because it’s in my bedroom and I sometimes use it while my wife sleeps. Any mechanical is perfectly fine as long as it isn’t loud.
- Has the function keys spaced out (like F1-F4 together, F5-F8, etc)
- Doesn’t have a multi-row enter key like some of the giant backwards L keys that are 2 rows tall
- I prefer USB wireless dongle but USB corded is fine.
- No price constraints

https://www.amazon.com/RK-ROYAL-KLUDGE-RK96-Mechanical/dp/B09XCCF742?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A1IWU32MOSPJFY&th=1 and https://nuphy.com/collections/keyboards/products/halo96?_pos=2&_fid=faef0e3f6&_ss=c could fit the bill. The zeros on the numpad are not as wide as normal though, which might be a dealbreaker.

EDIT: there's also this from RK: https://rkgamingstore.com/collections/96-keyboards-96-keys/products/s98-wireless-mechanical-keyboard?variant=44396775342301

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

Sorry to skip to the end of the thread and ask this but...is WASD still making keyboards? It looks like most things on their website are sold out.

Even if they are, looking at their prices I think you can do better for the money. If you're already willing to drop more than $100 USD on a keyboard, you can probably find one with better features (some combination of QMK/VIA support, hotswap sockets, wireless, nicer plastic body/keycaps) for the same price or even cheaper. In general, nowadays I wouldn't settle for anything without hotswap sockets, especially at that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Wouldn't be Linux if something weren't a little wonky.