Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Speaking of loving Corsair, I’d like to replace my keyboard with a TKL, are there any with USB-C connections that also do passthrough at full speed? I think theres that Massdrop one but I think its only 2.0 speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I too lament the paucity of keyboards with USB passthrough, but what are you considering connecting through your keyboard that would need USB 3/Thunderbolt speeds?

External storage really, I might end up with a mITX build that wouldn't have much space for storage drives, and I'd probably move my photos and poo poo to a portable drive. I just can't be bothered reaching towards the back of the case :v:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Takkaryx posted:

I'm making my first foray into custom mechanical keyboards! I have a steelseries mechanical at home with linear switches close to MX Reds that I have fallen in love with. So much so that my typing at work has started to suffer because of the super slim chiclet keys on my work keyboard. I love the look of this base:

Specifically the aluminium frame, 10 key and the non-existent bezel. But, I'm not sold on the key caps. I know this is a non-standard layout, but the caps themselves look to be standard? What keywords should I be searching for to get a full set replacement?

Man this is nice. I've been mulling a TKL but the numpad is so useful in a bunch of programs that I use that I couldn't really commit, but this looks like a great replacement for a K70.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Put in a reservation for a GMMK Pro, gently caress it, finally a price thats a bit more palatable. Considered waiting for the ISO version but I wanna try out ANSI.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm way too infatuated with the profile (and everything else) of this keyboard, goddamn.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I got some Boba U4 testers and woooow these are quiet, can’t wait to fill a board with these.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Stroop There It Is posted:

This is why I've put Bobas on most keys and Box Navies on stuff like enter, capslock, and esc in my ~new GMMK~ (thanks interrodactyl!). I don't go nuts from too much clicking, and still get that tasty CLACK and super tactile kachonk from a select few. Just ordered a bunch of 62g Bobas to swap out the 68g ones on the alphas coz they're a bit tiring to type on.

I do find the clicking from the Box Whites on non-alphas on my VA87 a bit irritating, perhaps because they're significantly higher-pitched than the Navies and Jades? Especially since the Zealios on this feel and sound great. Maybe someday I'll open it up and try desoldering them...

Oooh, putting something more substantial on Enter/Escape/etc sounds like a good shout. I'm now getting super torn up over which board I want to actually get. The GMMK Pro looks real neat (I put in a deposit), and it'd be nice to try an ANSI layout, but I just came across the CU80 and I love the price and simple design. Compare that to the price of the Mode Eighty and yeah, I'm struggling to see what the Eighty brings to the table for that price versus the CU80.

If I'm gonna be dropping close to $500 on a keyboard it's gonna be on something like the Cloudline with all that nice brass and poo poo.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The Electronaut posted:

Starting off by not defending the pricing on the Mode Eighty.

The CU80: already doing GB round 3 and still haven't delivered GB round 2 which they did same thing with round 1 if I recall correctly. Additionally, the Mode is a high profile case design with what appears to be a much more complicated assembly, multiple layers for the plate and PCB assembly, separate USB PCB, multiple layout support. Additionally, it looks like the Mode guys are fronting a lot of capital to massively shorten the delivery time instead of the traditional GB model of collect all the money and then use that to get manufacturing started which hopefully you see something in 6 months to a year. I recently participated in the TX Keyboard EO-87, that being a GB plus COVID times ended up being 7 almost 8 months to delivery.

Again, not really going to bat for the Mode guys, just what I'm seeing. I have two Rama U80a keyboards on order that I won't see till what Q3 next year? I hadn't heard of the Mode Eighty, but I am going to snag one as I can get a colorway that I want, deep (navy).

All fair points - from what I've read about the CU80 guys, I think it's because they were getting safety certifications for their poo poo as they registered as a company, which put a delay on everything.

e: I do really like the eWhite Mode Eighty tho, and the black polished one, just a shame you won't really see that part of it.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 21, 2020

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I wonder why the aversion to shine through keycaps.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

When is someone going to make one with a numpad quantity of keys for not almost £200 (lmao)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I kind of want to know if the RGB variant of those has a different sound profile with the clear top versus the original opaque ones, I have a tester of of those and they sound lovely.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Stroop There It Is posted:

I have both--clear top 62g and opaque top 68g so I could friggin tell them apart when I put the lighter ones on my alphas--and they sound pretty much the same to me. However I am also not super picky about clacks (yes with clicks though for some reason) so I may just not be as attuned to it.

I think the RGB ones have also been more consistently smooth, whereas I got a handful of slightly crunchy opaque ones, but that could just be a batch thing and obviously has more to do with the stem than housing.

Having used both Zealios (caveat: not Zilents) and Bobas for a while now, I do think that Zealios are worthy of their rep as one of the absolute best tactile switches. But if you don't want to spring for the premium, Bobas are an excellent alternative.

Zealios would be nice but honestly I'm just real tired of having the keyboard get picked up on mic and playing with sensitivity, and Bobas feel nice enough to me in terms of tactility and silence, looks like I'll order in some RGB's then!

...and hope that Rama release a TKL in their plastic housings.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

.Z. posted:

The Wyvern GB is going live 1/23 at 10AM pst if anyone is interested in a southpaw keyboard.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/kzzr6l/gb_wyvern_gb_launching_finally_10am_pst_123/

It's just frigging expensive. $410 oof.

I want a keyboard like this but with the function row and win key, I’d even accept it with a left handed numpad. So close to being perfect.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

.Z. posted:

https://thekey.company/products/sp-111

why is it broken

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Gearman posted:

Speaking of Godspeed, Godspeed mats are back in stock over at Novelkeys https://novelkeys.xyz/products/godspeed-v2-deskpads?variant=32208219111517

already gone :(

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Can anyone recommend some relatively affordable and decent quality keycaps while I wait for GMK Fuji? Got my GMMK Pro and gonna be ordering the Boba U4’s this month. I assume enjoyPBT is going to be pretty much fine?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thanks for the replies! Finding in stock stuff is the issue yeah hah, and I agree about the GMK shine issue but that particular set is gonna mesh so well with my coming deskmat and I just wanted to feel cute with the pinks lmao.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Wow yeah no gently caress supporting that kind of company.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Of course the place I was gonna order Boba U4’s with clear tops is sold out with no concrete re-order date :negative:

Does anyone else know a place selling them that delivers to the UK? RGBKB seems to deliver everywhere but here.

e: Rescued by eloquent clicks, phew

ijyt fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 27, 2021

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I was in the first batch and annoyingly I left my confirmation for a day and the polycarb plates were sold out, were they available?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That's a shame, I have one sitting in a box waiting for switches and caps.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Worst case I gift it up a friend or something, eyeing the Keychron K4 anyway

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So I forgot to get lube when I ordered m durock stabs, what is the Krytox lube made of? I have some Badger regdab airbrush lube I wonder if I could use instead.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Just waiting for some temporary keycaps and otherwise have my GMMK Pro finished, ended up just borrowing the grease from the stock stabs lol. Durock stabs fit with a bit of sanding of the brass plate but honestly I think I'm going to end up swapping it out for the polycarb when it's back in stock. I accidentally hosed up the finish of the brass plate and while I know I won't see most of it it still bugs me.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ok newbie idiot here, I'm assuming this is caused by the stabilisers on shift and space, what am I looking to fix here?

https://imgur.com/iZY6A7V.mp4

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Gunder posted:

Make sure the stab bars are going into the correct holes on the stab housing.

Ah okay, time to take off this tight as gently caress brass plate again :negative:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ijyt posted:

Ok newbie idiot here, I'm assuming this is caused by the stabilisers on shift and space, what am I looking to fix here?

https://imgur.com/iZY6A7V.mp4

Update, stabs are fine with the brass plate off, so I think the issue is somewhere there, time to experiment :)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

.Z. posted:

You might need to lube the stabs more. Or it still might be a problem with improperly seated stabs. Hard to say without being able to see the stabs themselves. I ended up with both problems in my first build despite them seeming to function during my initial checks.

It's weird, I've filed the brass plate sockets now and while the fit is snug it doesn't need excessive pressure, the stabs work perfectly fine without the brass plate on. Going to check with the aluminum plate.

e: Alu plate has no issue, so it must be something with the brass plate, I'm just not sure what. I assume it must be the actual slot for the stabs causing some weird pressure.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 5, 2021

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Turns out my GMMK Pro brass plate is warped, so that's why I was having the issue with the space bar, fun. Aluminium plate at the moment serving me well. Kind of hard to get used to the smaller size and I've already reached for the non-existant numpad.

Little bit pissed at how short the USB cable is compared to my old keyboard though, but oh my goodness the Boba U4 62g's are so nice to type on. Super quiet compared to my old Cherry browns like wow.

GloriousCore kind of loving sucks though, and its pretty lame that the rotary is useless if you use QMK. Was NOT able to figure out how to make any use of the Fn key using GloriousCore either so yay for that, and did not think about the Razer caps I got as a holdover not having the correct 1u and 1.75u right control, whoopsy.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hackan Slash posted:

I've got a gmmk pro and it's pretty good, but the lights on the sides turn on and off and it's distracting. Is there an option to control them separately? Core is... not great and the having all the documentation online in a dumb format isn't great either.

Pretty sure that's the "hey caps lock is on". The option to turn it off is.... somewhere in Core, cannot remember where tho.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Gearman posted:

FN + 1 I believe toggles between side RGB only, and key RGB only.

Also, for the GMMK Pro owners in here looking to improve their GMMK Pro a little bit, I'll be selling custom plates made from FR4 in a few weeks. What makes these different from the stock plates?

- Switch and stabilizer slots big enough to easily fit every kind of switch and stabilizer.
- Flex cuts and removal of standoff screw holes to create a flexible typing experience, and require fewer screws to assemble and disassemble.
- Acoustic cuts for improved sound and better key-to-key consistency.
- Gold plated switch slots and tabs to make removing switches a little bit easier, and because it just looks real nice.
- $20 (+ shipping), and a discount for goons.

Here's a little preview:

I'll also have similar plates for the NK65 available as well.

I'll be selling these on my shop at: http://www.avxworks.com

oh awesome! definitely interested

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

nvrgrls posted:

THANK YOU, haha.

Ideally it's a 60% with a knob on it. The GMMK Pro looks about right but I'd rather get something that's not brand new know what I mean.

This looks hot as poo poo and out of my price range as poo poo:

https://cannonkeys.com/blogs/news/satisfaction75-round-2

(and sold out?)

This might scratch my itch https://epomaker.com/products/ajazz-k620t

It's not in production yet and it's a little larger than a 60, but this is kind of neat.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/nc6icp/introducing_the_cu70_this_concept_is_still_being/

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh yeah the one with more options than stars in the universe.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Epsilon Plus posted:

I popped some switches in to meditate on the LED colors and what I want to do with the layout:

and I'm actually thinking just white might be best - that gold plate is gonna make the colors reflect weird. Or I can switch to the silver plate I bought that I just remembered I have... hrm hrm hrm.

Well, I'll post some pics when I actually get around to soldering it.

That bottom board, I'm sure it's a long gone group buy but would there be anything stopping someone making the number row behave like the function row?

And ideally toggling numlock make the numpad enter the number row symbols 🤔

If so, I might need to rethink looking for a 96% and go for whatever layout that is.

e: though at this stage i'm inches away from learning CAD or something because any time I see a 96% or the above layout, any space saving gets immediately negated by stupidly massive frames.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

hbag posted:

i dont know
i really dont

is it even worth returning it? i mean its ONE key and i can probably use blank keycaps i guess????

Man and I thought I had anxiety. Just refuse the delivery.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The have ISO UK, DE, and NL I believe but not in a full keyboard layout, just the compact 96% layout.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Welp, the USB connection on my GMMK Pro has died so time to figure out how to get a refund on this thing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Clarence posted:

I've ordered a Keychron K4. It does 96% of what I wanted :dadjoke: so just have the slight adjustment to make to the more compact layout. And it's half the cost of the Razer and Logitech.

Thanks for the advice!

Let me know how you like it! Planning to return the GMMK Pro that broke for a refund.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Opioid posted:

I’m having an issue with my GMMK Pro and Bobas… it’s as if the spring isn’t strong enough to elevate the space bar after pushing it. Stabs feel smooth but maybe they’re misaligned?

Photos of my current 3 ‘extra’ keyboards including the GMMK. My fav is still the Kira TKL. Need to find uses for them soon to justify this hobby to my wife…

I had this issue but only when trying to use the brass plate, no problem on the aluminium plate, using Boba U4 and Durock stabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Speaking of key caps, can someone post those Taro clones that were done in PBT and being sold for like $80 but then someone found them cheaper on Aliexpress thank you.