Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Starting to dip my toes into this hobby after using my Corsair mechanical keyboard with Cherry Blue switches for the past 5 years and wanting to try something different.

I decided I want to give linear switches a try after hearing this and realizing that this is the kind of sound profile I wanted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZwmdU-cgY4

I wasn't really expecting everything to be so... limited though-- like, none of the parts used in that video are easy to find at all. And I feel like looking around the Mechanical Keyboard subreddit was a bad idea and I should have come here first to ask goons instead of dealing with their poo poo.

So I've been trying to find something fairly close-- I've been listening to a lot of sound test videos on youtube and it seems like Gateron Yellows, lubed and filmed seem to be fairly close to that sound-- so I found a fairly cheap hotswappable board (Womier/GamaKay K87; the absurd RGB kinda won me over even though I will probably rarely use it) that came with them and now I'm just waiting for it all to get here. I don't really intend for it to be my "endgame" board, but I did want something I could feel okay with experimenting with before really breaking the bank.

One thing I really hesitate on are keycaps. Are the GMKs really that good? Is there a brand that's not so ridiculously expensive with similar quality, if so?

Once I find a sweet spot on switches, I think I'll look deeper into going deeper into a custom build. It's just hard to know where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Constellation I posted:

Sound is really dependent on a number of factors. Material and construction of the case. Material and construction of the plate the switches are on (hell, maybe plateless even) Dampening if any on the case, keyboard placed on a desk mat, etc. Then you go on to switch types, and whether they're lubed (spring, leaf or stem), filmed etc. The Womier looks to be all poly, so it'll sound different from the all metal case linked in that video.

As for GMK keycaps, the answer is yes. It's really high quality thick ABS plastic with excellent legends and colour options. It'll eventually shine though since it's just how it is for ABS keycaps. (PBT keycaps should eventually shine as well, just takes a whole lot more use)

But they're not your only options. If you don't mind OEM profile, then TaiHao keycap sets are of good quality and available for cheaper. Vortex/iKBC as well, but much more limited colour options.

Cherry profile PBT keycaps from the likes of EnjoyPBT can be slightly cheaper as well. There's also "knockoff" GMK called JTK which are fairly similar quality, but slightly worse legends (might be a lot better these days). Though I think their prices are creeping up to "might as well get GMK" these days.

There's also other options from AliExpress and Chinese vendors, but you really have to check out which individual sets are good as there's a lot of garbage out there.

EDIT: Also look out for group buys for keycaps to see if any of the cheaper ones catch your attention. There's so many new manufacturers and vendor collabs out there that it's hard to keep track. But if there's reasonable demand and hype around it, should at least be decent quality. Again though, these typically aren't cheap keycaps but there's definitely reasonably priced ones. mechgroupbuys.com is a good site to use.

Thanks, I'll do my best to keep an eye and ear out for things relevant to my interest. Hopefully I'll come across a GMK set that really speaks to me and gets me to crack my wallet open. Closest one I can find right now is GMK Posh that I can see is available right now in a group buy, but ehhhh. I can wait.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

whoo boy okay...
Constellation I pretty much covered everything. There are a lot of factors that go into making a keyboard 'sound good'.

Think of a keyboard as though it were an instrument. Like a guitar. You can change the strings; nylon, steel, brass... and it will change the sound. But you can also use those same strings on a variety of guitars and they will all sound different; steel guitar, acoustic, solid body electric, hollowbody.
And don't forget that the sound you're hearing is being recorded by someone else's microphone and being processed through their recording software before being reproduced by your device playing it back through your speakers or headphones or whatever you're listening on and in fact it's really not at all how it's going to sound in real life.

99% of this hobby is just a rabbit hole of preference. But that's actually kind of the point. There is no endgame ultimate keyboard. The fun of keyboards as a hobby is actually going down that rabbit hole; trying different things and finding what you like. It's just a bunch of people experimenting with different things to achieve different results and determining if they like it or not. Much like people trying different combinations of pickups or electronics or effects on guitars to achive their "perfect tone." There's no right answer, just the answer that is right for you. That being said, there are definitely a lot of wrong answers and misinformation.
Very little of it actually has to do with actual functionality so bear that in mind and take every bit of "advice" or "review" you hear with a grain of salt.

I'd recommend starting on the cheaper end of switches: get some Gateron KS3's from Kinetic labs. Maybe some different weights of springs while you're there. Pick up a variety of switch films and some lube and just have fun modding switches. See how each of the little tweaks changes the feel/sound and assess if each change is sending you down a path that looks like it will lead to something you will ultimately enjoy, or if it might not be your preference.
Maybe spend some time hanging out in keyboard related discords (we have one too). Ask questions, see what people are talking about, get to know them and their preferences and objectives and understand not just what it is they are doing but why they are doing it.

When you do decide to buy another board the one most important piece of advice I can offer is, don't buy the hype. Try to understand what it is about that keyboard's design that makes it good and ultimately how you think it will perform based on the knowledge that you've gained. Lots of boards are just people making some sweet looking renders in CAD, making a board that is gasket mount because gasket mount is popular, not taking the time to develop a decent plate, throwing PC plates out there as an option for their hotswap board, and not actually doing any prototyping, or just prototyping to determine their chosen manufacturer's level of quality/finish rather than assess how their design works.

Also good advice, thank you.

I think ultimately I'm gonna wait until what I ordered comes in and in the meantime, get myself prepared with the tools I'll need to modify switches as it is. I dunno if I'm gonna get into PCBs and soldering anytime soon, at least not until I know EXACTLY what I am looking for, so getting a variety of switches to play around with seems like the best idea for the moment.

What's the discord link? I probably won't have a lot to say since I'm brand new to this stuff, but I'm sure I can lurk and glean information.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
As someone new to the hobby: what's the appeal of ortho keyboards? They look uncomfortable to me.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting. How hard is it to learn different keyboard layouts anyway?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
For what it's worth I saw this on Reddit the other day and I really dig it: https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/katakana-by-marius-104-key-custom-cherry-mx-keycap-set-1.html

You can set the background color to be the same color as an Arizona Green Tea can and I.... kinda want it :ohdear:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
My Womier/GamaKay K87 arrived! I am an instant fan of linear switches, hot drat. It's nice to be able to type and not hear clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick all the time. Maybe it's because I'm not used to them yet, but I don't really sense any ping or anything on the switches; I wonder what it'll be like once I get around to lubing and filming them?

I do think I'll need to get myself a wrist rest though, I'm already a little achy here.

This is exciting even if it'll take a little getting used to!

EDIT: just gonna use the attachable wrist rest from my Corsair for now. It'll have to do.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 7, 2021

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

My corsair had cherry blues. Very noisy in comparison to this thing's gateron yellows, which are much more pleasing to the ears.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, I used that Corsair for the past 6 years. I was used to the sound, but I was at the point where I was kind of tired of it. It also doesn't help that my girlfriend moved in with me and often goes to bed early since she she works first shift and I work second, so I feel kinda bad using such a noisy keyboard at night.

Ultimately I really just like how smooth this one feels. The crunchy tactile feeling of clicky switches is nice and all, but this really feels nice. I do notice myself accidentally hitting extra keys with this one a bit more though. Will take a little getting used to.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

mariooncrack posted:

How's the quality on the Womier/GamaKay? I was considering their 65% board. I think I read a review where the switches don't snap into the keyboard so if you flipped it upside down they would fall out.

Keeping in mind my only experience with mech keyboards before this one is a Corsair with clicky switches, this feels pretty drat premium (despite the Corsair being a heavy metal keyboard with some extra media controls and a volume wheel) compared to it, despite actually costing less than I spent on the Corsair 6 years ago. It feels very sturdy overall, but I do feel like they could have beveled the layers of acrylic that the board itself is made of, it really just feels like a slab of plastic-- but it's thick, sturdy plastic, so it's fine. The "premium"-ness here purely comes from the feel of the typing itself. The rest of the board is simple, but in an appealing way.

The RGB is absolutely stunning and I'm considering getting some pudding keycaps just because the regular caps don't do them justice. I had originally thought I was gonna put the AKKO caps I ordered on it, but this is a board where you want the novelty to shine through (even if I skipped the obnoxious cycling colors and just keep it at a solid purple with the effect that ripples when I press a key).

I tested pulling off a keycap and a switch and it seemed to come out without too much effort, but I just flipped it and shook it pretty hard; nothing came loose.

I made the right choice in picking Gateron Yellows as my switches, they feel unbelievably good and can only imagine what it would be like once I modify them with lube and film. If this is how linears feel, I have to wonder how much better they can go. The keys do have a little wiggle space to them but I don't really hear any pinginess from them. The stabilizers on the modifier keys seem sturdy (in comparison to how rattly my Corsair's were), but the spacebar could use a little work, and I intend to do so. It's not bad but I know it could be better. I've watched a ton of videos of people modifying this board, so it seems to have a pretty high ceiling for quality with a little TLC.

THAT SAID: a lot of those videos said that the K87 "fixed a lot of the issues the 65% board had", but I think that context was mostly in reference to the RGB? I'm not really sure but it could also be referring to the hotswap slots as well.

Overall I'm pretty pleased! This will hold me over quite well until I get a custom build rolling. I do also want to experiment with various switches and can now do so now that I have a hotswappable board to play with.

tl;dr: ymmv on the 65%, but the TKL feels great.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 8, 2021

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nam Taf posted:

Wrong and bad opinion. Clicky is supreme.

Oh god. I can actually hear your opinion now with my quieter keyboard. :v:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Matt Zerella posted:

Anyone want to try to talk me out of the KBD67 R2 set?

I have caps and can grab yellows for ~15$

No, forget it. I'm not going to spend the money. NO.

What's the appeal of the kbd67 over a tofu or a drop alt or something? I'm looking into getting a 65% next so I'm trying to learn more about popular boards.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

mariooncrack posted:

Depends on the keyboard but there's usually some shortcuts using the function button.

Womier TKL might be a good option too: https://smile.amazon.com/Mechanical...443&sr=8-1&th=1

This one comes with red switches. Can change out the switches if you don't end up liking them.

I can vouch for this one; it's the one I just picked up (except I got one with Gateron yellow switches) and I'm liking it a lot. The RGB is a silly novelty and completely unnecessary but it's still fun to play around with.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The AKKO ASA profile black and pink caps I ordered finally came in and they look gorgeous!

...now I just gotta get a board for them because the one I'm using right now is much much much more suited for puddings or something.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to voice a thanks to the cool folks in the discord that put up with all my questions. Picked up a bunch of tools and some Box Jades to play around with, and will pick up a lubing station and some Boba U4Ts next paycheck.

After that it's looking for a more "endgame" board.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

alg posted:

What's the Discord link? :)

https://discord.gg/CvgR3nKP

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to say that I switched my Gateron Yellows to Boba U4Ts and these things are very, very nice. Pricey, but absolutely recommend. I feel like these are gonna be on whatever my eventual "endgame" board is. I love how linears sound, but from what I've felt, they can't top this.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if I want to suggest anything if spilling stuff on your keyboard is a common occurrence. Stuff in this hobby gets expensive really fast (everything on my not-really-even-entry-level TKL totals up to around $240, all told), so consider how much you feel comfortable possibly spilling things on. :P

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
If nothing else, get the same board you had. That sucker must have been a trooper to last 8 years. I looked it up and it looks like its main appeal was it being waterproof and washable. Doesn't seem to be mechanical, but if you're not feeling confident in keeping it clean, mech keebs might not be for you.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

LionArcher posted:

Too heavy.

Try Kailh Polias. I picked some of them up before I picked some Bobas up and felt that they were a bit too soft for my tastes. (Bobas are the best switches I've felt so far personally with their nice sharp bump though, so ymmv.)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I made a reddit thread asking about Kono and the general vibe was "yeah they're cool and pretty responsive". I bought into a GB for SA Espresso but we plan on moving in the next few months, so I had a conversation with them via email about getting the shipping address changed if need be and they're pretty responsive. (And yes, they said that was fine.)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Concurring with Womier K87. It's what I'm using right now, and while it's... somewhat flimsy, it's been a great board for learning how to mod and customize without worrying too much about loving it up since it's fairly inexpensive as far as customizable boards go.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Duck and Cover posted:

The Wormier isn't a solid chunk of metal capable of beating someone to death without breaking but I'm not sure that I'd consider it flimsy.

Anyway I finally decided to order some testers from kbdfans (clicky and textile). Can't wait to drive myself crazy and deciding why yes I'll just keep using the yellows (or go back to the zealios I used before).

I say flimsy in the context of "pressing down on the middle of the board will make it buckle, and it's just three layers of acrylic screwed together (bottom, middle holds the PCB, and plate) that don't tend to stay perfectly flush together."

It's still a perfectly fine board, but the RGB novelty of it wore off real quick.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Duck and Cover posted:

Can't wait to spend like $160 on keycaps and like $50-$100 for key switches for my $85 keyboard!

It be like that sometimes

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Ringo Star Get posted:

Anyone try out those Akko switches? I’m tempted to get a set, particularly the tactile blues, which aren’t clicky.

I recently saw a video of someone using the Rose Red ones and they sounded pretty nice.

They're pretty cheap, may as well check 'em out?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Scored me 5 packs of Banana Splits today. Thanks for the help, Gearman :unsmith:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Keeping up with maintenance also helps too. I never took care of my old Corsair and while it's not like, disgusting or anything, there's still plenty of dust in there that will need more than air to blast out.

Giving my board a weekly puff of compressed air keeps it nice and clean. Maybe try that?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Ordered my Mode65 today. Maroon top, lilac backpiece and bottom, ANSI hotswap, POM and brass plates, foam, silicone the works.

Kinda want to grab a FR4 plate too...

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

my nanners arrived over the weekend when I was out of town. Now I just need the Mode65 I ordered....

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, I picked up a Womier K87 a few months ago so I could play around with switches and stuff before buying a big kid keyboard and it's still my daily driver until my Mode65 arrives. And that was only around $80 or so iirc?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Hoop Dreams posted:

I recently got a k61 which is a cheap hotswap board that came with gat yellows which are good but got boba u4t to try and they are great. I probably wouldn't have tried new switches if it wasn't hot swap because I'm too lazy to learn to solder.

So hot swaps are good if you are a beginner and want to try different switches.

This is exactly where I'm at too! Bobas are just so drat nice.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I understand. In order for a small business to pay its workers not just a livable wage but a thriving wage, prices do need to take that into account. A real shame that ordering anything from them takes so long though. That's the biggest part for me. I don't mind paying up for something that's meant to be of premium luxury quality-- the quality is the point. But having to wait so long really leaves a bad taste in my mouth and it's starting to bug me that pretty much every hobby of mine is falling into this system of "pay now and maybe you'll get it in a year or something".

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Epsilon Plus posted:

I got a Facebook ad for the Mojo68 and while it's cute, I don't want a keeb that small.

I -do- want whatever keyset is on the "Plastic" colorway they're showing - the one with the Enter key that says "REPEATER". Does anyone know what it is? I assume it's from a GB the same company did, but I looked through what they had on their site and couldn't find it.

I got in on the reservation so I can get it for $149. I've wanted that cap set ever since I've seen it, so getting a board with it is just a bonus (you don't get a full cap set, just what's on the board, but still.)

The cap set is Melgeek Plastic fwiw: https://drop.com/buy/melgeek-dye-subbed-pbt-mda-plastic-keycap-set

I just want it because it gives me real OK Computer vibes.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Got my first group buy item I ordered today, a deskmat from ePBT Aesthetic.

I've never had an actual deskmat before. It feels nice.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean... it's not over yet.
Cannonkeys is doing extras for the deskmats soon I think...

MKEU still has preorders open...
https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/category/keycaps/epbt_221/

:stare:

i don't need it i don't need it i don't need it i already have 2 other sets and around $500 floating around in the GB aether cloud right now

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Z the IVth posted:

I didn't know creamy could be used to describe keyboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZwmdU-cgY4

This is the video that got me started down this fuckin rabbit hole to begin with. Now I have a set of banana splits just waiting for my Mode65 to be here so I can make a board that sounds like this.

But I also worry now because I'm so used to my bobas and how bouncy they are that switching from them to linears is just going to feel so wrong.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I've been using Bobas for months now and I have to say they definitely don't need lube and I haven't even bothered to put any on them. They have practically no scratchiness or pinginess to make it necessary at all.

In fact I kinda worry that lubing them would dampen the satisfying clacky noise they have?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

interrodactyl posted:

If you don't need them to be silent, I think the U4Ts are strictly better, and if you really want to ball out, my favorite tactile is still the holy boba.

I still love my Boba U4Ts and will sing praises of them endlessly.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

ghhhhh I want that pink one but no I still have 2 keyboards that aren't even here yet

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

LionArcher posted:

I just bought this GMMK Pro, built it a week ago, and said, it's amazing, and now I don't need any boards for years!

But here's the thing. The stabs (not the space bar strangely, but enter for sure) does indeed suck. And yes, I have new stabs to throw in it, and lube now. But that involves me taking apart the whole board right? Ugh. And I thought I'd love the scroll wheel, that was the main reason I didn't go Keychron!

Expect it turns out, I really use the function keys to play pause music, and turn the volume up and down.

So then I look at the board I posted and go, it's a better company, it's lacking the function row but has four keys I could use for media controls and I have an external volume wheel I could use, and it's cheaper and...

Oh God, just when I thought I was out, I may still be in right?

Also, I do know from this GMMK pro that the Bobba U4T's are amazing, amazing switches and my favs for sure. No lube needed.

I think I'll just suck it up, and over Christmas vacation take this GMMK PRO apart and lube the good stabs I have (C3's? I know they work with the GMMK PRO plate). Honestly, other than me supporting a lovely company, and not having better control over the RBG, and a volume knob I don't actually use, I really like this board. It feels miles above even my Turgod that I was replacing with Cherry Browns.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting on my Mode65 and my Mojo68. One day I'll have 'em...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
you fools, you loving nincompoops, only I get to decide what art is and what it is not