Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
In regards to keeping my finger joints happy, I just wanted to say that I'm probably in the minority but I've been using gamakay phoenix switches, which is a silent switch with silicone sound dampeners and a shorter-than-usual key travel. It's been great for me since I tend to bottom out, and this cushions it. Additionally, I also added O rings as well to shorten key travel and dampen the bottom-out impact even further. It's wonderful. :getin:

Also, they're lightweight switches too. My delicate bird hands appreciate that.

god please help me fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I have a question for people who are more knowledgeable. Does anyone know if scissor switches, or reducing key travel, is beneficial for finger ergonomics? Or if going with lighter switches helps more? I love my gamakay phoenix switches for both having a lighter spring weight, smaller than normal key travel length, plus silicone sound dampeners for both silencing typing noises and making bottoming out gentler on my fingers, but I'm wondering if there are ways to be better. I heard people recommend the Apple magic keyboard, and I was wondering if I was on the right track. Heck, I even saw a charming low-profile membrane keyboard at the dollar store that didn't seem too bad.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Ah that's fair! I still think my dream switch for mechanical keyboards would be one that could fit in the current sockets and which uses scissor switches at the same time, but maybe I should be exploring lighter weight switches instead. Thankfully the wrist rest I have is pretty good imo. It's an akko Monet's Pond wrist rest that I do recommend for anyone still looking for something nice. Thank you for the insightful post and keyboard recommendations. :)

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
https://epomaker.com/products/epomaker-alice-qmk-via-diy-kit?variant=44113186488628

Another alice layout keyboard, but from a different company. You'll have to supply your own switches and keycaps, though. You can get yourself some nice clone keycaps from Amazon or Aliexpress, or you could purchase everything you need from epomaker if you do like this board.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

Moey posted:

I was primarily using a board with box navy. Grabbed a new prebuilt with epomaker budgerigar switches.

Similar feeling, lighter, super quiet.

Have not tried them side by side in the same board with anything else yet, but I doubt this cheap board is this much quieter than my gmmk pro.

Here's the setup I randomly grabbed.

https://a.co/d/bzwF2D4

I'll add on to this post to say that if anyone wants some epomaker budgerigar switches, I'm selling some on SA-Mart and Mercari for a good price. If I manage to sell the budgerigar switches, it'll help with my next move on trying out some nuphy aloe switches which I heard were lightweight and low-profile (they are also charmingly green).

edit: wait, are nuphy switches not compatible with any other keyboard?

god please help me fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 18, 2023

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I just pulled out my budgerigar switches to test things out. A couple of caveats in the facts that I don't have boba U4s to compare with, and I also use O rings on my keycaps, but I didn't find the budgerigar switches that much louder than my silent linear Gamakay Phoenix switches. Yes, I find them louder than the dedicated silent Phoenix switches, but only slightly which is impressive to me.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Speaking of mac-oriented accessories, could I use an apple magic keyboard on a windows pc? I remember typing on one in an office and thinking they felt pretty nice.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I remapped my capslock key to Ctrl+Shift+T so that way I could reopen internet tabs that I close too soon easily. I had a realization this year that I really don't use the capslock key at all beforehand unless by accident.

I could also get by remapping the right hand alt key to something else, but I'm not sure what.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It comes in handy as a compose key.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. My keyboard doesn't have a numpad on it, so I can't even type unicode characters anyway.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

ExcessBLarg! posted:

No I mean an actual compose key. I map right-Alt/Alt-Gr for this on all my keyboards.

My bad, I'm sorry. I've been far too exposed to internet snark, and thought that regular alt was already a compose key. On occasion I do type accented characters, so I'll try to do some more research on this, thank you!

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

If you're on Windows, I have found WinCompose to be a good implementation. You can assign whatever key for your compose key, and I always set up R-Alt for this.

Ah excellent! Thank you for the link!

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I have the same typing preferences, and for that reason I use silent switches with the silicone damperner pads built in (gamakay phoenix switches for me) with O rings.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

Pooperscooper posted:

Do they sell mechanical keyboards with dampeners on them or do you have to do that yourself?

Koskun said it better than I did, but mostly the sound dampeners I'm referring to are the little bits of silicone built into a majority of silent mechanical switches, which dampens not only the noise of the key press, but also the impact (nice!). Some people hate silent switches that have that silicone sound dampeners inside because they describe the feeling of typing on them as "mushy," which for me is a plus because of the aforementioned tendency to slam down keypresses (much gentler on my fingers).

Most keyboards don't come with silent switches by default, but if you pick up any keyboard that allows for hotswapping different switches, then you can simply purchases any silent switch you like and put them inside of the hotswappable mechanical keyboard. Just keep an eye out if they are outemu switches or cherry mx style switches, which are the majority, and you should be good to go.

I like to increase the "mushiness" of my mechanical keyboards even further by purchasing a cheap pack of O rings from Aliexpress or Amazon, and applying those to the keycap stem of the keyboard. It takes time to apply all of them for each keycap, but my fingers thank me. Sometimes the O ring listing may give you a choice of some number such as 10A, or 70A. Essentially, the lower the number is, the softer/mushier it is. An O ring with a higher number is going to be more stiffer/less mushy. It's up to your personal preference. Additional 'Pro Stratz': you can stack two O rings on a keycap stem if you want to experiment with the feel.

Lastly, I did recommend the Gamakay Phoenix Switch because those are one of the few silent switches I found that also have a very light keypress force. I'm not sure if you're looking for that feature too, but I'm throwing it out there too.

As an aside, I think I'd like to experiment with getting a Niz Plum keyboard. I'm very tempted by the light force switches it has, but oh my lord, the price is somewhat scary. Does anyone have any experience with it?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

Koskun posted:

When you mention the "silicone built into..." are you talking about switch film? If so, that is a whole different level than o-rings. Switch film goes inside the actual switch. You can get kits to do this on your own, and I'm sure some (probably super expensive keyboard maker) has it as an option. However to do it yourself you also have to get a switch opener (can be done with a screwdriver, but ehh).

They do dampen the rebound of the switch, but not the press. O-rings are used so that the keycap doesn't bottom out, as it does nothing to the switch. They can also make the keycap wobble slightly, as there will be less stem in the keycap itself.

As to what most keyboards do or don't come with, you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a keyboard that doesn't offer some sort of option between Blue (clicky), Brown (tactile), or Red (linear) unless it is a VERY cheap keyboard, as those usually just blue, but I honestly can't think of the last hot-swappable keyboard I saw that didn't come with a choice of switches.

No, not switch film. I don't have a picture to describe the silicone rubber dampener, but I have a video of it made by a guy who hates silent switches because of said silicone dampeners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahShvBMoMWk&t=19s

It should be timestamped to start at 19 seconds in, where this person discusses what I'm talking about. While this youtuber in particular is discussing a silent switch that doesn't have silicone sound dampeners inside, I'll say that the silicone sound dampeners are probably what Pooperscooper might like since it's those sound dampeners that provide a softer/mushier bottoming out upon key press. At least that what it's like for me since I never mastered the "don't bottom out your keystrokes" technique of writing with a mechanical keyboard that some people on youtube talk about. Silent switches are good for me since I tend to type pretty hard for that reason.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Hello, I have a question. Does anyone know any advice on how to get dark scuff marks out of PBT keycaps? I was traveling with a keyboard and some slippers in the same bag, and noticed that my tab key has a scuff mark now. I tried using hand sanitizer gel to remove the mark, but it hasn't worked. What can I do besides using sandpaper can I use to remove the scuff mark?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Thank you for the response! I did start rubbing the hell out of the keycap with a couple of erasers I had lying around, but the issue turned out to be that the scuff marks where also partly scratched in, instead of just being superficial residue stuff. So I also experimented with adding lotion and alternating with hand sanitizer as well, and that in addition to the eraser seemed to have reduced the visibility of the scuff marks a good deal.

The scuff marks/scratches are still somewhat visible though. I might be able to remedy the solution entirely if I could find one of those dire blue tipped erasers that have abrasives added to them that would always gouge paper, but possibly would help out a lot here. Alternatively, I might message a seller on Aliexpress and see if they could just sell me tab keycap by itself. :v: I'll think about this further later and might switch out the keycap set entirely in the meanwhile lol.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I do, and that's why having a deskmat and a monitor riser is vital to me. The deskmat is large enough that no matter how I move my keyboard and mouse around, the deskmat stays in place. And the monitor riser allows me to just shove my keyboard underneath like a little cove (also rising my monitor up has been good for my neck too).

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
What is the name of it?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

adary posted:

https://keeb.io Iris (if that's what you referred to)

Thanks! I like the way RGB looks on it, and I'm curious about if a split keyboard would be more comfortable for me. :)

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Lmao at the "wey" keycaps.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Got a question: do you fellows think it'd be worth spending $12 on those little rubber silicone feet that come on the bottom of a keyboard to replace one of the ones that fell off and is making my keyboard wobbly? Customer support is offering to sell me the exact same type of rubber foot as came with my keyboard originally, but $12 seems kinda like a ripoff for only two pieces of silicone (that are taller than normal rubber bumpers, admittedly, but still).

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

Ihmemies posted:

I spilled a bit of milk on my corsair k70 rgb keyboard. The volume scroll has been quite sticky after this. It works, but it's signifcantly higher resistance when adjusting volume. How good/bad idea it would be to open the keyboard and try to do Something to the problem?

Like, is it better to live with that "feature", or try to fix it..

Edit: also does anyone do some kind of "macro" keyboards which come to for example left side of the keyboard.. more hotkeys would be sweet.

https://kbdcraft.store/products/adam0110b

Maybe something like this? I know on the website I've seen pictures floating around of people putting the numpad on the left instead of the right. And then with qmk/via, you could remap the keys to be whatever you'd like. Like another goon said, this is not adding extra keys though, just moving things to the left which in itself is pretty convenient.

Edit: I also don't know if you'd be open to the idea of a separate left-handed macro pad. There are many things you could use as such, including this one: https://a.co/d/645UJ0p

If you're okay with the extra keys being on top instead of the left, I think there might be more recs I could give.

god please help me fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 19, 2023

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
The transparent colors are nice, but I don't see the hype either. Maybe the price being higher than normal for stuff made in the US is money being well passed on the employees, but otherwise eh on this keyboard.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I'd actually like to get a GAS67. Why are keyboards with both transparent cases and RGB so hard to find at a decent price? Heck, I love the hell out of my Mini Cat 64 except for the fact that I'd love to get a bandsaw and hack out the cat part of it. The large bongo cat headpiece does not play nice with the things I like to keep on my desk.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
This isn't connected to any current conversation, but I'd like to thank the people who made PowerToys for Windows. I'm currently using a keyboard that doesn't have any QMK/VIA capability, and was sorely missing my previous shortcuts I programmed into my previous keyboard until I managed to configure them back with PowerToys' Keyboard Manager. Just so convenient, I love it.

If you're curious what my shortcuts were, it's essentially assigning Home, End, Page Up, and Page Down to the arrow keys when a modifier is pressed. Technically not the same as a keyboard layer, but works just the same. It's quite nice. :)

edit: aagh, page snipe.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I tried out an alienware full sized keyboard with the low profile version of cherry silent reds. They were okay, if a bit scratchy (it may have been remedied over the years, though). I personally can vouch for gamakay phoenix switches for being pretty good and quiet.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I simply use 60% keyboards that have arrow keys (Epomaker and GAS67). Honestly I love the increased desk space from it, and it'll be something I'll miss if I try out an Alice layout or a split keyboard out of curiosity.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

wash bucket posted:

God I FINALLY got the stupid RGB backlight on my keyboard to display a respectable white light. The default "white" has a very blue cast to it so I had to hand adjust the color picker in Via for what felt like forever.

I didn't think this was even possible. Can you post what rgb value worked out for you?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

wash bucket posted:

R 255
G 192
B 180
# ffc0b4

Though I doubt it will work for other keyboards since it's compensating for the color cast in whatever LEDs are used in mine.

Thanks, I appreciate it! :tipshat:

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
For the love of god, please use an epomaker keyboard rather than a keychron. Epomaker has a variety of keyboard formats, good construction, affordable prices, hotswappability and QMK/VIA compatibility. I've never had a problem with them.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Try an Epomaker! They have all sorts of hotswappable models under the sun!

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
If you do want an iso keyboard, then try an Adam or a Lilith from kbd craft. There are optional numpads that can be placed on either side of the keyboard. https://kbdcraft.store/

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I had a cheapo ABS keyboard in a US ISO format, and I remember liking it well enough. I think cheap membrane keyboards go for a US ISO format for some reason that I don't understand, but don't mind. The big enter key is nice, and the most pretty keycap in a custom set is the ISO enter keycap, which I can't use because mech keyboards are obsessed with ANSI.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
You are building your keyboard, and it's nice. :3: Alternatively, you could buy the keyboard pcb separately and put it in a case of your own, if you want. It's a nice price for an ISO/ANSI hotswap QMK/VIA keyboard.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Do you want hotswap, or ones specifically with cherry reds soldered in?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will jump in, but I'll add my two cents. Any wired keyboard is going to be pretty good. Missing keypresses and disconnections is more associated with wireless keyboards, and can even vary within the same brand by some models of keyboards having zero issues while one model in particular has faulty connectivity. If you want to make sure any prospective wireless keyboards you are eyeing is good, you may want to look up reviews of it on Youtube or ask here. Otherwise, pick any wired keyboard and you're good to go.

Second: It's kind of hard for me to give you a recommendation for any gold standard because usually the safe pick keyboards are hotswap. There's even a lot of affordable models of keyboards that are hotswap as well. It is very hard for me to think of any mech keyboards that have soldered on cherry red switches soldered in besides my own Alienware AW420K TKL, and which some people may find their software annoying (I mostly used the software once to change the color of the LEDs, and then ignored it afterwards lol).

I heard Iqunix was okay! I guess my whole post is to say that your options for what keyboard you can get really opens up if you get a hotswap keyboard and plug in your own cherry red switches. Then if any keys start dying, you can replace the switch, and it'll work just fine again.

god please help me fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 6, 2024

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
You got me too, drat it.

Edit: on the bright side $296 CAD is way too expensive for me. Here's to hoping someone at aliexpress makes clones of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
It's not the same model, but womier/gamakay does make a transparent tkl keyboard.