Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Anyone here use wood as a body for a custom keeb? I'm considering it for another Sofle, but if there's extra things I have to put in there to make it work I don't want to mess around too much with it (given that it's very expensive of late)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Smythe posted:

mentally unwell keyboard aficionados

You can just say "keyboard aficionados," or if you're in a hurry: "you jerks"

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Anyone here program their own adafruit macropad?

Running into issues where I can't tell if the macros are too long or if it's something else killing the thing's ability to use the .py files

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Every board I build gets kailh hotswap! Always!

It's a very good convenience feature

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Finally got the hang of really big macros in python, and can't recommend the adafruit macropad enough.

drat thing is like 50 bucks US, kailh hotswap, and you can put it together in 10 mins. Made a bunch of profiles with huge code chunks I use often, and a number of other stupid macros like an encanto button to play the kiddo's favorite songs at a keypress.

If you have a small (or split) board, it's a great companion

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

/\/\ relatively sure that was a post in some state of jest my guy

Unsinkabear posted:

Speaking of macropads, how difficult would it be for someone who doesn't know Python yet to get this thing working as a numpad? That's a great deal, and it even has a rotary encoder!

Oh, dude, they include that as a preset, no fuckery involved

Just follow the instructions on the site to install CircuitPython and there's also a folder of macro presets you can add to your pad from the get go. Drag and drop baybeeee

The encoder works to switch profiles though, so dunno if it's what you want for something like volume. There is a media player preset that allows you to adjust volume with keys, however!

Essentially the process works like:
1. Install a python IDE (do Mu)
2. Download all your project files
3. Plug in macropad, start bootloader by holding reset and pushing encoder in
4. Drag and drop your install files, it'll take a bit then reboot
5. Drop in whatever macro presets you want into the "macros" folder

It's pretty easy. I don't code python (I do use R, though) and I've been making a shitzillion presets

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 30, 2022

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Unsinkabear posted:

Nice! I just looked at that preset and if I'm reading it right, it looks like it's just printing a one-number string? Which makes sense, it's a macropad! But I wonder how that would work for apps or games that distinguish between regular number row numbers and their numpad equiavlents. Like would I be able to bind something to numpad 0, or is it just going to print regular 0 when I press that key? Is this why numpads cost a seemingly silly amount for their size? Lol

Oh what? Weird, they are numbers. You can force it to be a keypad though by replacing the numbers in the [' '] symbols to [Keycode.KEYPAD_ONE] and so on. That calls the correct keys like it would any other numpad

e. gently caress it, here's a version that fixes that. Just open that preset in the macro folder and paste the below code over the old stuff in the IDE, then save. Remember, character strings go in ' ', keycode values (like RETURN, BACKSPACE, PAGE_DOWN) do not. The below works on my keypad
code:
# MACROPAD Hotkeys example: Universal Numpad

from adafruit_hid.keycode import Keycode # REQUIRED if using Keycode.* values

app = {                # REQUIRED dict, must be named 'app'
    'name' : 'Numpad', # Application name
    'macros' : [       # List of button macros...
        # COLOR    LABEL    KEY SEQUENCE
        # 1st row ----------
        (0x202000, '7', [Keycode.KEYPAD_SEVEN]),
        (0x202000, '8', [Keycode.KEYPAD_EIGHT]),
        (0x202000, '9', [Keycode.KEYPAD_NINE]),
        # 2nd row ----------
        (0x202000, '4', [Keycode.KEYPAD_FOUR]),
        (0x202000, '5', [Keycode.KEYPAD_FIVE]),
        (0x202000, '6', [Keycode.KEYPAD_SIX]),
        # 3rd row ----------
        (0x202000, '1', [Keycode.KEYPAD_ONE]),
        (0x202000, '2', [Keycode.KEYPAD_TWO]),
        (0x202000, '3', [Keycode.KEYPAD_THREE]),
        # 4th row ----------
        (0x101010, '*', ['*']),
        (0x800000, '0', [Keycode.KEYPAD_ZERO]),
        (0x101010, '#', ['#']),
        # Encoder button ---
        (0x000000, '', [Keycode.BACKSPACE])
    ]
}

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 31, 2022

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Unsinkabear posted:

I just re-opened this and saw your edit, thank you so much for doing the legwork! I'm increasingly sure that I'm going to get a Keebio Quefrency (they just gave it a hotswap option while the Sinc won't get its until at least April) and one of these to supplement it. The Quefrency's macro pad is configured as F1-F8 by default, which means compared to a 75% I would only lose F9-F12. I'm thinking I can set the full F1-F12 as a second preset on the Adafruit for the rare times I need those, and have it in numpad mode the rest of the time. :science:

That leaves me with only one more question: what do you guys use your rotary encoders for? I know I want one encoder for volume on the Quefrency's left half, but I'm thinking I may skip the second one on the right half in favor of an extra regular key unless someone has a compelling use case for it.

You absolutely could! Just use [Keycode.F1] instead of ['F1'] and you should be golden. I can also help you through it in the thread if you need me to when the time comes

RE the knobs, I have a sofle and use system volume for the left, and was hoping for undo/redo for the right, but it doesn't play well with QMK

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 31, 2022

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

interrodactyl posted:

Both solder and hotswap builds are good, that's my opinion thanks please enjoy this hot take

hosed up if true

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Taffer posted:

How many people in here use split keyboards? I have a Moonlander and I like it mostly, but there are a couple issues I have with it and I'm curious to see what's out there. After initially liking the "ortholinear" layout I'm starting to sour on it a bit, I'm not convinced it's better overall. It definitely has strengths and the more grid-like setup makes an intuitive kind of sense, but overall I feel like my fingers actually move more, especially my index fingers on both hands which have two columns of keys to contend with compared to the (mostly) one of other fingers. Typing on the KBD67 I got my partner (thanks for the recs on that, btw) made me feel like staggered is probably better, even if I did hate not having a split.

The thumb cluster was always the weakest part of the moonlander and even many many months of using it exclusively I can't effectively make use of any but the inner-most keys during normal typing, the rest are relegated to less-frequent functions and hotkeys which, while useful, is not what I was hoping for out of the thumb keys.

Problem is... from what I've seen there's not much out there that'll be much different. There's the ergodox, which is almost the same as the moonlander with a slightly better thumb cluster but that's about it. The Dygma Raise whose gimmick is... being able to stick the split halves together, but that kind of defeats the purpose and also makes it impossible for there to be useful inner keys on each half which other splits have. I'd have a hard time losing those. The "ultimate hacking keybard" seems about the same in that respect.

So mostly I'm just looking for what other options are out there and what peoples experiences have been. I'd like to experiment a little bit more. All that said I do like this board and don't regret moving to a split even for a second. I'll never, ever go back. Also it has the most god-like wrist rests a keyboard could have. I know I'm going to be let down by anything else I use in that respect, no question.

I never got used to ortho, miss my staggered regular board but I'll never go back to a single board. Too much relief on the shoulders and back with the split. And also like, those knobs at the thumb are dope as hell

Maybe it's not the worst thing in the world to slow down a bit, I mean I used to get so sore and cramped up with the fullsize (writer/coder that stumbled into management). Got my macropad for things I do often, so I can replace tons of typing with one keystroke.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

never kickstart

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Taffer posted:

The sofle v2 looks basically perfect from a layout standpoint, but I'm not totally sold on how stripped down it is, I think I'd like to have a few more keys in the thumb and pinky areas. I do really love the idea of having knobs at my thumbs, though.

If it helps, the Sofle is my writing keyboard- you can program in extra layers so if you're okay with two keystrokes for certain characters/actions that's a way through. Definitely hear you on the ortholinear, but the thumb area is absolutely the strength of this board. If you do go this way, get a long 3.5mm cable though, you're gonna want to pull it a bit further apart than the 6" most kits supply.

It's not something I terribly enjoy coding with, but I suppose I could put more effort into making a less stupid layer than I have currently

The combo of this plus adafruit macropad is pretty baller if you miss the keypad

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 13, 2022

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Do yourself a favor, as a fellow sofle guy: get a longer TRRS cable so you can spread out farther

oh and these fellers

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

After the better part of a year with the Sofle I got a Sinc kit; Ortholinear is too much of a pain for my fingers

But the other aspects of ergo split? I've unlearned bad type habits, and being able to put each half out at shoulder width has been really comfortable. Hopefully I can make the sinc work as well as the Sofle had been, but I realized that the layers just weren't working for me. It's a great ergo split though, don't get me wrong; just not meeting all my needs

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I usually put it in front of the right board so I can move laterally more (I use an ultrawide monitor)

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Unsinkabear posted:

Hopefully you're not pushing the right board back to do that because the halves being the same depth is a Big Ergonomics Deal iirc

Does anyone itt do the mouse in the middle thing?

I'm not, I just have a kickass desk with lots of space!

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I hate nothing more about this hobby than "thock[y]" as an adjective/verb

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Sinc kit just came in. As much as I'd love to hotswap this fella I'm not sure I give a poo poo about switches enough to, so solderino it is

kinda excited to see if I can get up to speed with this split over the Sofle, because ortho just made it too drat annoying

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Ugh. Just waited a month for a kit to clear customs, they sent the wrong boards :suicide:

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Canada, thou art a fickle mistress

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Screama posted:

I think this thread really oversells the "keychron customer service is bad" angle. I'm sure there are people here that have had lovely experiences, but I never see it mentioned in any other keyboard groups I'm in. YMMV, but if you went solely off the opinions in this thread you'd think Keychron were complete hucksters, but I get that if you've been burned once it's hard to recommend them again.

Well, my opinion might have been different had they acted differently. But I can only report what happened to me.

Maybe they're better with other people? :shrug:

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 18, 2022

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Just finished my Sinc build, a couple findings:
1) give keeb.io money, that's an upstanding business. They shipped the wrong boards and made it right no charge even though it was international.
2) I really despise no hotswap from a maintenance standpoint, but this is as pretty good as it gets for a board that requires soldering
3) a lot of guides omit a ton of information you need to know and it's not obvious you're doing the wrong thing until it's too late. The bottom right row has a few layout options, and it's a pain in the dick to figure out blind. Put the caps on the switches BEFORE you solder them in
4) having the knobs and macro is great, but there's just no replicating the knobs at the thumbs the Sofle has. Still, better than dealing with an ortholinear layout and too-few keys for coding

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

now that's out of the way...

anyone got a cool source of knobs or is there something beyond volume/pageup (or down) they use their rotary encoders for? Been splitting time between the Sofle at home and the Sinc at the office and didn't know if I should be messing with the default behaviours

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Gearman posted:

I've bought a few knobs from here and I can recommend them: https://lovemyswitches.com/knobs/

I mostly use it for volume adjustment or scroll wheel up/down.

This is excellent! Nor if only international shipping wasn't so unreasonable :freep:

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I use the box pinks in my Sofle and they're quite nice, as someone who used an M for about 12 years

Worth a go anyway

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

We need to burn bitter herbs and chant something to cleanse this thread of a ghost of perma'd posters past

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

VelociBacon posted:

People with more than one keyboard: do you swap your keyboards out depending on what you're doing?

Ie: time to game, let me swap my keyboard out, okay time for typing an essay, going to use my essay keyboard, etc.

Yeah, I use the Sofle at home if I'm not doing work, the Sinc if I'm needed to work.

Mainly I'm more comfortable with the Sofle, but I write/code about 50/50 at work so the Sinc is better for that

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Do choc switches feel like normal ones or more like weird laptop switches? Been thinking about making a sofle for my laptop and I like the space savings of choc-- but not sure if I'll like the switches

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

if the NFT is the reason for the pricetag can I just wait a few weeks for it to lose 97% of its value?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

How you liking the manuform? I came very close to making one before getting boards for sofle way back when

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Bit of advice on the sofle: tenting screws kinda suck for long-term. I'm gonna try making a laminated wood block to put under the switch plate/guts out of cedar because I'm suuuuuuper tired of tightening the nuts

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

That's a good call I think!

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

ziasquinn posted:

Going to reply to both of you since my answer is related!

Oh weird, sucks that the sofle was a lemon, I like mine for the knobs and don't think I could go without! Y'know, unless I could make a slider deck or something.

Cool beans on the manuform! I may build one still but I'll just print the case (much cheaper)

It is a shame that hotswap in those would be such a pain, but c'est la vie

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

After using the Sinc for a while, I gotta say, traditional layouts for ergosplits... are difficult.

I went back to the Sofle v2 for writing pretty quickly after giving the Sinc a fair shot — the drat thing just isn't stable in the middle without adding shims to support the H key, and even then you can't really get clackin' without worrying about the board moving on you when it's in a typical split position. I'm thinking about making a cedar case for it but if that can't solve the weight/stability issues it may be time to sell it.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I thought about doing those but ended up just doing the magnetic plate cables so any jerks, tugs, or tears from baby, dog, or kiddo would simply result in a broken connection rather than a broken port

Works fine enough

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Oh hey I bought the Sinc a ways back. It's really only worth it if you ditch the FR4 plates and either make your own/buy the acrylic. Honestly, I regret buying it because I'm going to have to desolder every drat switch to fix this on my own, and I just don't have that kinda time

I like the Sofle v2, but as Reoxygenation pointed out: it's 'spensive.

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

It took me a long time to get used to it but yeah, splits are the way