Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I have some fancy modern mechanical keyboards (Wooting One, Anne Pro 2), but I'm really psyched about the 1990 Apple Extended Keyboard II I just picked up for $45 on eBay. Hopefully I'll be able to give the ABS plastic a nice oxide wash and make it look brand new again.

I'd also love to get my hands on a Space Saving Model M, but those are worth $200+ at this point. I'm honestly kinda shocked the Apple Extended Keyboards haven't gone up in price.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've been hearing a lot of people say not to trust Input Club because they've been known to stop supporting projects after it's initial release.

mewse posted:

I've been on the mailing list for this because hall effect + beam springs are like holy grails of keyswitches.

HOWEVER, the full analog thing requires very solid software support and that's not something I want to be an early adopter of. Wooting has been doing analog for a while and have good reviews of their software.

I backed the Wooting One and I've been pretty happy with it - the "analog" keys might not be that useful in every-day life, but they've listened to community requests and released firmware/software updates over the years. I've been eying pricier 65% keyboards from KBD and Rama lately, but I'll always use my Wooting One for my desktop PC.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah those look gorgeous, shame they all seem to be sold out

emdash posted:

well the 87-key was $420 so it's probably for the best

They open up a window for pre-orders and each release takes about 6 months before they ship. The Koyu and M60-A were a little more affordable at $350, but most of RAMA's keyboards sell for $200-$300 more on the secondary market.

When they open up pre-orders on a new 65%ish keyboard, it's going to take everything in my power not to grab one.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

New Rama Works Pre-order, a 60% keyboard called THERMAL for $360:

https://ramaworks.store/products/foundry-thermal?variant=16813687275563

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcyU2Hz01lE

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Looks like well-known keycap designer MiTo is planning a second round of Godspeed SA :toot:

I'm so glad I missed out on the MT3 version of Godspeed - I prefer SA, and the colors will probably pop a little more. Still kicking myself for skipping SA Laser.

LochNessMonster posted:

I’ll probably join the Serika MT3 Drop as I prefer PBT over ABS (and already own a Godspeed set).

Couldn't pass up Latin alphas + modifiers + super homing. Might grab novelties before it end.

internet celebrity posted:

Man I really want an MT3 profile set but I think I'll wait until they learn how to print the legends straight.

If you don't mind taking the time to inspect each keycap in the set, Drop will send you a full replacement and let you keep your original order if there's an issue.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 6, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Where should I be buying keycaps? I feel like Amazon and ebay have a very limited selection of mostly bottom tier stuff.

Start following various designers through social media and email lists, along with MassDrop and Reddit.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

foutre posted:

Are there any other wireless 65% hot-swappable keyboards? I can't really find any, and that kind of ticks all the boxes otherwise...

How do you feel about Kickstarter? Two 65% hot-swappable projects are going right now:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keytron/keychron-k6-a-compact-65-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/velocifire/velocifire-m2-a-portable-customizable-wireless-mechanical

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

LochNessMonster posted:

Got a mail that Serika MT3 is being shipped!

Was surprised to see my set show up on Monday. The Super Homing keys feel great.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 3, 2020

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ChazTurbo posted:

What's a good mechanical wireless keyboard that uses AA batteries?

None.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

.Z. posted:

Yay, keycaps came in. Now I need to figure out why the spacebar getting stuck in a depressed state. It had been working fine with the previous keycaps.

That looks awesome, you're making me wish I had picked up a Katakana set.

I hate having multiple keycap sets that I want to use on my keyboards. I really need to finally pick up a 68%er....

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Zarin posted:

Just . . . buy more keyboards. :v:

I've got an Anne Pro 2 and Wooting One (Backed it on Kickstarter), but what I'd really love is a 68% hot swappable keyboard (Ramaworks...) with Box Navys/Jades or Zealios.

Clearly my Trump check is burning a hole in my pocket.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

What's the closest 65% equivalent to a GMMK Pro? Tofu65?

I love my GMMK Pro so much, I've decided that I want to replace my Anne Pro 2 and Ducky 3 with something that is hot swappable, has an aluminum chassis, and is gasket mounted. I'm afraid I may have to venture into the world of GBs if I want anything suitable.

That, or wait for RAMA to open up preorders on a future release.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 16, 2021

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Ginkgo65 is currently available as a GB, not the worst price for an aluminum chassis:

https://ginkgo65.com

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Pollen65 B-Stock is available for around $200:

https://www.keybeeshop.com/collections/keyboards/products/pollen65-mechanical-keyboard-kit?variant=39264848740421

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ijyt posted:

Holy poo poo the 68g Boba U4T's are the nicest sounding keycaps I've ever used, I loooove these. I got a CU65 to use the bobagum linears in for gaming but I couldn't resist putting the U4T's in. I now understand why people have multiple keyboards, because I really want to try these in something a bit higher end and more tuned.

Goddamn this is great wow.

I really enjoy them in my GMMK Pro. I paid way too much money for lubed glorious pandas only to turn around and put in $35 worth of U4Ts. The silent version feels just as good, too - if I ever end up returning to an office, I'll definitely use it as an excuse to put together a U4T silent build.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I only donut lubed my Boba U4T's springs using "Gazzew's Blend #7" lube. The Boba's stems are already lubed, so I didn't bother. I haven't even considered going down the path of filming my switches - is it worth it?

I'm also eagerly awaiting the Black Friday KBD67 Lite sale - I can't wait to finally dump this cheap Anne Pro 2 for something that's hot-swappable.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Smythe posted:

after not paying attention to the bespoke keyboard industry for a thousand years i think its funny to see that they have basically become vapes. but for computer. same poo poo tho.

Welcome to every niche hobby on the internet.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Boz0r posted:

What do people use all the extra keys for? My first mechanical keyboard was a Razer with extra macro keys, but I never knew what to use them for.

I'm one of those weirdos who maps per-app shortcuts to custom function keys because I'm too lazy to learn the default shortcuts.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

redeyes posted:

Me too but as of now I still haven't got a keyboard with enough extra keys. TBH Im looking for a nice macro board, maybe just a grid style one.

I also have a ton of per-app custom trackpad gestures. I really don't know how people use a computer with BTT + Alfred.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

redeyes posted:

custom gestures?! holy poo poo no thanks

Four finger swiping between tabs, swiping up to open a new tab, and swiping down to close a tab are a game-changer in Chrome/Safari/Finder.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I ordered a KBD67 Lite R3 in white with an extra transparent purple case. Really excited for a nice thocky portable keyboard that doesn't weigh 3 pounds like my GMMK Pro.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

What is everybody's preference for foam vs silicone? You can get a cheap silicone mold kit from Amazon for about $15 that can be mixed and poured into many keyboard cases.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Exit Strategy posted:

Sweet Business Update:

- About half of the plates are done. Our laser's not the fastest unit in the West, but it's workin'.
- Ijyt's Mill-Maxes are ordered.
- I've had to order more standoffs, as I've found I don't have enough handy! That's OK, though.
- Production probably due to start on Wednesday. I'll take pictures of myself assembling them and dump 'em here.

In other news:
I'm designing a mouse, because literally every mouse in existence sucks. If they're not fragile hardware built down to a price in order to maximize profit, they're the Ploopy, and if they're not that then they have an obscene sack-of-hotdogs shaped software package that might install a crypto miner on your computer.

Like the Ploopy, it'll be running on a PixArt sensor and using QMK. Unlike the Ploopy, it'll be compatible with a large variety of switch types because that's how I roll.

e: I call it Eyes of Tomorrow.

It's been a lot of fun watching your progress - if you ever have any interest in doing some sort of unique 65-75% with function keys on the left or right side or even a TKL, I'd definitely be interested.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Well drat, I would have definitely picked one of these up if I had known they were available - I'd been looking for a hot-swappable TKL to replace my Wooting One.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

Anybody else order a bag of mystery switches from novelkeys? I got some box navies.

There's a bunch of posts on /r/mk - that's pretty much what everybody got.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

What's the everybody's favorite ~60% hot-swappable keyboard? RAMA Kara? KBD60? Tofu60? I'm looking for one with VIA support.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MT3 is so divisive - is it the way they're scooped? What's everybody's favorite profiles?

SA is too sloped.
R3-only SA is pretty much perfect.
I'm sad to say I don't have a keyboard with GMK
MT3 (especially with super homing) feels good to me
I haven't had a chance to try KAT or DSA.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Rollie Fingers posted:

I genuienly can’t stomach using anything other than MT3 after getting used to them.

When I’m forced to use a keyboard with Cherry profile keys I make a crapload of typos.

It's a shame MT3 moved away from PBT - it seems like most of the sets they're releasing are doubleshot ABS nowadays. I've got a set of PBT MT3 Serika keycaps with a super homing row that I'm eager to put on a RAMA Kara soya that I have coming in the mail.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 15, 2021

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

.Z. posted:

I wonder if there is some kind of color limitation they ran into for MT3 with PBT. All the PBT sets I've seen are mostly white in color. /dev/tty, Serika, Godspeed, and the upcoming LOTR themed ones are all white/off-white dominant color sets.

I had no idea MT3 Godspeed was PBT - I'm tempted to try and flip my SA Godspeed set for an MT3 one.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

:toot:

Took me probably an hour and forty-five minutes all together. I only lubed the stabs (i.e., globbed on some dielectric grease on the wires) and left the Zilent v1 62g switches stock. The keyboard is nice and quiet and feels really solid in the stack-mount configuration, a huge change from my DZ60 in a polycarbonate Tofu that has loose PCB mounting screws that I'm still too lazy to fix :v: The FR4 plate feels and sounds :discourse:

It feels a little weird typing on SA after literally years of typing on MT3, though. Maybe I should break out that unused MT3 Dasher set languishing in my closet...

Ugh why is SA Symbiosis so hard to track down. KAT Space Cadet has tons of issues. Somebody should release an MT3 version.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

horchata posted:

If anyone cares, PBT Taro just dropped on novelkeys so you don't have to spend a gajillion dollars on the gmk version

Novelkeys also has GMK Hammerhead right now, which is really calling my name.

Those novelties….

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I have 3 keyboards now, and I'm already eying a split keyboard and 40% of some sort.

This Lulu split keyboard GB starts next week and is pretty enticing. https://boardsource.xyz/projects/60de24d6847112054777bbdd

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

What are your guys thoughts on this "Souls" inspired set available for preorder right now? I've been waiting for somebody to do a Souls-inspired set for a while now, but I'm not quite sold on this one. May be a last-minute decision.

https://kprepublic.com/products/gb-domikey-x-glove-link-fire-cherry-profile-keycaps

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Here’s the other Souls-inspired keycap set - GMK Cinder:

https://mechsandco.com/products/gb-gmk-cinder

Personally, I like this set better, but GMK isn’t my favorite, and the wait times for GMK are just insane right now. Q4 2023?!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Electronaut posted:

A switch opener is ideal. Incase you haven’t seen/read, as you’ve found out the leafs on those are delicate and there is a specific technique to ensuring you don’t damage them when closing the switch up: compress the stem/spring before snapping the top down.

This is a good habit for taking apart every kind of switch - it makes the process a lot easier.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Artelier posted:

So I was randomly browsing social media the other day and the Damapad popped up - a small mechanical keyboard (macro keyboard is the term I think?) that had a knob. Wasn't available here in Malaysia so I ended up looking around for alternatives to the same idea.

Anyway long story short I ended up at the in-stock Atlantis PS17 - basically a numpad that can be programmed with VIA, plus knob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtogNiaMlkQ

Any caveats with this? Purpose-wise I just want a physical volume button (I change volume a lot, mostly as and when people stay outside my room and if my cat decides to nap next to me on the desk). For the buttons, I don't stream thaaaaat often but I figure these could be my "Streamdeck" replacement, and it could just be my normal numpad otherwise.

Alternatively, am open to other models that functionally do the same programmable buttons + knob thing, just to see if there are any designs I like better or features I hadn't considered.

This thing is only $50? I want one for Zoom/Teams meetings.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

That.... looks quite nice. When does it actually ship, though? I might as well just wait until then.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I think I'm finally getting my first 40% keyboard, and my first groub-buy.

https://p3dstore.com/products/hubris-case-and-minisub-pcb

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ayy congrats! P3D owner is really good people as is the designer, Rain. Are you going to get it cerakoted?

Obligatory link to the 40% discord: https://discord.gg/40percent
and Rainkeebs discord: https://discord.gg/HTUM498QXR
You're always welcome to ask me questions as well.

Consider using layer tap on the split space layout.

I am definitely getting it cerakoted - there's too many good colors! Love the Light Sand, Sumo, and Haiku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I had to put the dongle for my MX Master on a USB hub on my desk so it has functionally an open line of sight. I'd get bad dropouts when it was plugged into the back of my desktop sitting on the floor.

I do this for every external dongle - Wifi, Zigbee, Bluetooth, Logitech - so many USB hubs and enclosures affect the signal, from my experience.