Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
So a few friends of mine are getting annoyed with the response they have on their wal-mart special keyboards and I made the suggestion they look into a mechanical. They don't mind the click sound, and one would use it predominately for WoW, her husband for WoW and regular typing. Having a numpad would be good for the husband, eh for the wife. Backlighting I don't think they care about one way or the other. They will need to have arrow keys however.

I'm thinking mechanicalkeyboards.com would be the best bet for them, as I don't want to recommend anything Razor, and Corsair might be a bit above what they would want to spend initially (if they get hooked, that is something else).

They won't care about replacing the keycaps either.

Price I was thinking would be 60-80 bucks US.

So keyboard thread, what would you recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I tried putting some dish packing foam inside the case where it would fit and still allow the case to be closed back up, but that didn't seem to make a difference. Now I have some foam in my still-somewhat-noisy keyboard.
Might want to try old/cheap mouse pads. The rubber and cloth on them is pretty good for sound and vibration absorption.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
So I bit the bullet and picked up a used Corsair K70 Gaming version (just red LED's) off ebay for 20 bucks.

Much to my relief, all the keys and switches are in great condition. Only physical issue is one of the stabilizer receivers for the spacebar isn't there, so it catches once in a while. A bit of an actual annoyance, but I'm not sure if it is a part I can find/order to replace. It almost looks like I'd have to take apart the whole keyboard to replace it from the backside.

There are two other issues, but they are not something I'd consider major. The first is the LED's under the keys don't turn on at all. I can go through the 4 phases using the button (dim settings and off), but it only lights up the media keys. I can push the keyboard button, even put it in programming mode, but none of the keys themselves light up.

Related maybe, CUE won't detect it, even though Win10 detected and identified it correctly. I've tried a couple of different USB ports, and even without the passthrough, still nada.

Any suggestions and/or recommendations to help solve these issues?

As my first mechanical, I have to say I REALLY like the responsiveness of the thing. It has Cherry Blues I believe (judging by the stem color). I wouldn't say it is a total night and day difference from what I was using, but it's 99% of the way there to be honest.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
Here is a pic of what is actually broke. It isn't in the spacebar keycap, it's on the board itself:

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
Where would be the best place to get a replacement? I found a site mehkee.com, out of stock on the plate mount, and never heard of em.

I'm guessing to get to it from the underside, I have to take all the caps off and each and every one of those screws as well?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
Appreciate all the help and information everyone.

Looking at the thing, I MAY be able to slip it out without taking apart the keyboard, but don't want to push it too much at all. We'll see when I get it.

Besides, taking it apart might not be the worse thing, as if I am really lucky I can maybe see why the keys don't light up.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
Well, got the stabilizer in and managed to get the existing housing out, which broke, so I put the new one in and didn't have to take apart the keyboard to do it.

I did have to use a bit of leverage in order to get the wire proud of the faceplate in order to slide the new stabilizer in, but it slid and snapped in no issues.

The spacebar is like a totally different button now, so nice and smooth.

I appreciate all the help and pointers everyone.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Montalvo posted:

I popped in some new keycaps and the typing (like the switches) feels a tiny tiny bit different. Is this just a phsychological effect or did I somehow gently caress up my keyboard like an imbecile?

I snagged a used Razer Blackwidow for my kid (hey, it was 25 bucks). After using it for a few hours, my hands actually started to hurt. Where I can type on my Corsair K70 all day with no issues.

I pulled a cap off each, and the K70's are a touch thicker and taller.

The difference might be so minute that your eyes will play tricks on you, but you can feel the difference immediately.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

pidan posted:

Hi keyboard goons! I want to buy a keyboard that I can plug my headphones into so I don't have to go diving under the table. The only ones I could find on Amazon are funny looking gaming keyboards, but I know less fancy ones exist because I used one in my old office.

Can you tell me what search terms to use? "Headphone keyboard" and "3.5mm plug keyboard" don't seem to do the trick.

Does it have to be a keyboard? There are any number of extension cables you could get. Most speakers have headphone jacks on them. I think there are even some USB Hubs with them now.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
Even if it is metal, as long as you can get the case/base away from the electronics while you enlarge the hole. Plastic wouldn't be as much of an issue, but if it is metal the last thing you want are tiny metal shavings on a board.

Small round files aren't that expensive at all, even if they are so cheap they only last long enough to enlarge the hole it would probably be worth it.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

mewse posted:

SteelSeries made a hall effect board and thomas reviewed it.

The hall effect switches don't cover the whole board, just the main cluster. Function keys, arrow keys, num pad are standard gateron reds.

They also put in so much unneccessary poo poo (OLED screen, volume wheel, macro functionality, full RGB, USB pass-through) that they had to put *two* ARM mcu's on the pcb. And the PC-side software is apparently hot garbage.

e: and it's expensive af

This is a pretty disingenuous take of his review. The screen, volume wheel, macro, RGB, and USB have nothing to do with why there are two ARM's on it. He says in the video that those are there to monitor the Hall switch's output.

He really likes the keyboard, enjoys the RGB, understands why he thinks it is that the entire keyboard isn't Hall switch's. The screen is eh I agree, but why not.

It is expensive yes, he said 230 retail.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Canuck-Errant posted:

Well, I finally got my shipping information for the Dygma Raise I'd preordered last year - like a hotswappable Kinesis ergo KB but with thumb buttons. Interesting to see how well it'll go since I have a Freestyle 2 at work but the Raise doesn't (yet) have tenting...

Is that just a mechanical keyboard split in half with 4 spacebar buttons?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

Quick question, but I assume as a starting mechanical keyboard the reason for something like one of the Ducky One 2’s vs something like a Corsair k70 is for build quality? Mainly plan on using it for gaming.

I've got three K70's (early one's, just the red LED's), and they are quite solid. I've had hands on a Ducky before, and other than the size, build feels pretty much the same.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I just picked up a RedDragon K552. Outemu Blue's, red backlight (dimmable/off) used for 10 bucks. New they are on sale for less than 30 bucks right now in the USA.

I think technically it might be a 70% though.

It's my first keyboard ever without a numpad, but it's quite solid. Coming from a Corsair K70 to this. It will more than likely become my full-time keyboard unless I have to go back to doing database stuff.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

corgski posted:

What cherry switches would you goons say are closest to alps salmons? I really like the feel of my AEKII but I'm interested in getting a keyboard from this millennium for my PC, and preferably one with widely available keycap sets.

Are you wanting Cherry switches, or simply something with Cherry stems?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

corgski posted:

Cherry stems are fine, I didn't know there were other manufacturers using the same stems.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but pretty much every manufacturer out there uses Cherry Stems. Logitech I think may be one of the sole outsiders, at least on their latest keyboard line.

You will get variation in the size of some keys (Caps Lock, Shifts, Spacebar, and the like), but the stems are all the same.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Phosphine posted:

Also, looking for recommendations for couch gaming/media center use. My keyboards and mice generally have too short cables, and I hate having to remember batteries for wireless. Are there wireless rechargeable keyboards that also have an extra USB port for a mouse? Could also use a cabled keyboard with extra port so I still don't need to get another mouse.
There are a number of lap pads you can get, some even with mouse pads built in. I think Corsair or Logitech make one with a keyboard even (though I don't know if they are mechanical).

For wireless and worry about having to replace the batteries, as stated, Logitech makes quite a few very good mice that have incredible battery life. My kid has a G604 and the batteries would last weeks for him (2 AA's) with heavy game use. Snag a 4-pack of rechargeables and you are good to go for a long time.

As to recharging a keyboard and mouse without having to take them to the computer whenever, battery packs. Anker make some of the better ones around and for not a lot of money.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I've got a few of those scattered around as well, even one of the slotted ones for tablets and phones. They can not only help in reduce clutter, but since everything uses USB charging now a days, they can make really convenient stations.

I'd check out Menards oddly enough, I picked up one of mine for 10 bucks from there.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
Something you can get off the shelf (or, well, Amazon) today:

Logitech G915 TKL Wireless. It isn't cheap, at 230 bucks msrp.

Steelseries Apex 7 TKL, where you can choose what switches, is a more reasonable-ish 130.

Corsair makes the K63, and it has media keys but no roller. It is also out of production, so prices are all over the place.

Redragon makes a bunch, all in the 40-80 price range. The K596 has a volume roller with media keys, and macro keys. It's a reasonable 70 bucks (red switches on it).

For full size, Steelseries makes their Apex Pro and it has a volume rocker, but the media keys are layered. The top one also reportedly has switches that allow you to adjust the actuation point.

Corsair is still making the K70, and the K95 is usually well reviewed.

Really, there are quite a few options out there if you want dedicated media keys for both TKL and full size.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
That makes me very happy then that I got my G910 for 15 bucks.

I was very hesitant about whether I would like it, as I have been using some variation of Cherry Blue's for 4-5 years now, but I am really liking the keystroke on the thing. While I can't ever swap the keycaps due to this is when Logitech made their own, so they aren't a stem setup, overall I am very happy and comfortable with it.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Did somebody say stupid keyboard??

I'm actually considering getting this as a gift so my wife can enjoy proper, productive typing when using her iPad Pro. She really enjoys the Ducky One with Cherry Browns that I got her for a previous gift, so this might be a success too.

For what it is worth, LTT did a comparison of a few of these. I think this was one of the "better", but all of them were not that great. The keys/keycaps, mimicking the typewriter layout just didn't feel great and were meh at best to actually type on. That one does at least have Cherry switches, so hopefully helps.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Is the Redragon K552 with red switches worth considering? I'd like to try a keypad less keyboard. But I don't want to spend much, and I don't even know if I want a mechanical keyboard (I would like to try them out, though).

As an aside, I do not like their font choice at all.

In my experience with it (I have the non-RGB version), they are solid boards. I hated the font just as you do, but since they are using Cherry switches, just about any keycap set under the sun will work. Which you may want to consider since the keycaps aren't the greatest feeling. They felt very thin to me.

Reason I'm not still using it is I found out I do actually use the numpad a lot more than I thought. My kid uses it and likes it a lot, preffering to use it over a Razer Blackwidow and Logitech 512.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I thought there was someone inquiring about a full size keyboard that is hot-swappable. This evga full size just popped up for $50 bucks US.

I've no idea if you have to modify the switches (clipping stems), quality, sound, or what the software is like. However for 50 bucks for a full size that says hot-swappable and rbg, it might be worth a gamble.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
Best picture I found for what I need is off a Reddit thread. It's the two outside stabalizers for the spacebar for a Razer Huntsman keyboard. Are they going to be something I have to try and get from Razer, or are they some sort of generic stabalizers? The reply's on the thread said a keycap set from Razer includes the stabalizers as part of the new spacebar. Not too keen to pay 30 bucks for a keycap set when I only spent 20 on the keyboard in the first place.

Picture Here

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Hey there keyboard thread, I'm looking for a new keyboard because my current el cheapo one is missing keystrokes when there's multiples going on (usually 3-4, standard WASD control stuff), and I figure I should buy something good for once. I'm not entirely convinced that it need be mechanical, but I'm considering it.

It looks like 90% of mechanicals are straight boards though? I do programming for work, and so having at least a little bit of a curve in it goes a long way. I'm currently pondering the Logitech Ergo K860, but would love to hear other suggestions.

To add to what Wizard of the Deep said. If you want to stick with that curved style keyboard, that gets pricey when it comes to mechanicals, and something like the Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard does technically exist as a mechanical, but a few minutes of searching, I can't find one for sale.

The few that I found:
x-bows Ergonomic - No idea if they have it in stock (Amazon is out), nor of the quality.
Kinesis Gaming Freestyle RGB - One of the better known makers of the split keyboard setups.
Kinesus Freestyle2 - NON Mechanical. But not a bad price either (comparatively).
Kinesus Freestyle Pro - Basically the Gaming keyboard, but more office looking.

If you want to get a literal feel for a mechanical, so many off the shelf/Amazon ones will be using some form of Blue Switches. These have an audible click and bump when they activate (usually half way down, and some of these can be very loud). That said, you can pick one up in the 20-30 dollar range and see if it is something you might like over a rubber-dome keyboard. I'd even check Walmart, as their store brand (BlackWeb I think it is) makes a cheap blue switch keyboard.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
No idea about the quality or ease of use, but ran across this and at least thought it was neat. https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6169

It's a neat idea, and supposedly they worked with the original design team for the think pad.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Don't forget the time they put a crypto miner in their driver. At first they didn't tell people it was in it, then they didn't have a way to opt out. You also didn't make any crypto from it, only got credits for their store.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

I bought a Ducky One 2 skyline and I was really happy with it, but then I spilled something on it, so I read some directions online, used polydent to clean the keycaps and ultimately ended up just washing it with slightly soapy water, let it fully dry.

But when I put it back together it feels "mushy" when I remember feeling like it was crisp. Should I get some keyboard lube and try lubing up the switches maybe?

Most every soap out there is a natural de-greaser. If you washed the switches, it could of easily gotten rid of any grease on them.

I'd also be unsure about how well it dried. Water loves to stay in so many nooks and crannies, and it doesn't take much to create some corrosion.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

LightRailTycoon posted:

This is for programming and data entry, I strongly prefer a full-size, but they’re too narrow for my shoulders.

I kinda wish someone designed a mech version of the Microsoft natural pro, I loved that thing.

If I can’t adjust to ortho, I’ll try the KBO-5000 with a separate numpad.
Thank you!

I looked around, and no one makes something in that Microsoft Natural layout. I did find a thread over on GeekHack that says you can mod the the thing to a mechanical. Couldn't find the thread, and I can only guess just how much of an undertaking that would be.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
Redragon makes ok "My First Mechanical Keyboard", I'd say bordering on good (for what they are), but then they go and make this - https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-Mechanical-Keyboard-Ergonomic-Anti-Ghosting/dp/B09V4HTWLT

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

death cob for cutie posted:

wow! so they couldn't just ship the mat in like... a long box with some good padding? it had to be three hundred dollary doos?

I'd guess 300 might be more than is necessary, but have you seen how FedEx/UPS/USPS/DHL treat packages? Even huge IT youtubers have had boxes come in completely trashed, in some cases the item itself was actually broke. That is with the item shipped from the manufacturer itself.

If I were buying that mat, along with everything else, I'd for drat sure what to know it got to me in one piece.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

blue squares posted:

I love Logitech keyboards. Are their mechanicals good? Are their key caps such that I can buy whatever custom stuff I want, like a green space bar, and stick it on? Or do they have some kind of proprietary keys?

I think now all Logitech keyboards of the mechanical variety that is, use regular Cherry style switches, so the caps that will work are pretty much all of them. The 910 line (Spectrum and Orion) used a proprietary switch and keycap style.

Only thing you'd have to look out for is the length of the bottom row. It caries per manufacturer, so not every spacebar will be the same length. It is something you'd have to measure.

uXs posted:

Busted my Logitech G910.

Recommendations for a new keyboard?

Needs:
-keys that are responsive and feel good and tactile and all that
-rgb with decent software
-full size
-wrist support
There are more than a few places out there that makes wrist rests of varying lengths, if you happen to get a keyboard without one.

The Logitech G513 hits all those requirements, and would just work if you were already using the Logitech software. They make a 512 model, but no wrist rest comes with it. Both have the option for Blue, Brown, or Red switches.

Corsair has the K70 line, pretty much same as the G513, but it has media keys and a volume roller. Corsair's software is pretty straight forward.

Razer makes a bunch, but I hate their software with a passion.

Otherwise, there are literal tons of cheap mechanicals you can get that will hit most all those marks. No wrist rest for the most part, and RGB control is through key combinations on the keyboard. Bonus might be that hot-swappable is becoming cheaper and cheaper now. I've seen them in the $40-50 range.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
1.0mm, that's nothing. The Apex Pro from Steelseries can go as light as 0.4mm, all the way to 3.6mm, with a switch weight of 45g.

It's their flagship keyboard with hall effect switches.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
What's the consensus on Epomaker? I'm eyeing a sk71, thinking of downsizing a bit, and the layout looks pretty nice. Any concerns with QA and overall quality?

Koskun fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 22, 2023

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Pooperscooper posted:

Do they sell mechanical keyboards with dampeners on them or do you have to do that yourself?

Far as I know, some of the "upper end" ones I think do, otherwise the O-rings are just very small rubber bands. Some people use orthodontic rubber bands (used for braces), and a few keyboard sites will sell bags of them. Amazon carries both orthodontic and keyboard labeled ones, the price difference is negligible (5-10 bucks for 200 or so). The main thing is to make sure you get the right diameter for the switch you have.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

god please help me posted:

Koskun said it better than I did, but mostly the sound dampeners I'm referring to are the little bits of silicone built into a majority of silent mechanical switches, which dampens not only the noise of the key press, but also the impact (nice!). Some people hate silent switches that have that silicone sound dampeners inside because they describe the feeling of typing on them as "mushy," which for me is a plus because of the aforementioned tendency to slam down keypresses (much gentler on my fingers).

Most keyboards don't come with silent switches by default, but if you pick up any keyboard that allows for hotswapping different switches, then you can simply purchases any silent switch you like and put them inside of the hotswappable mechanical keyboard. Just keep an eye out if they are outemu switches or cherry mx style switches, which are the majority, and you should be good to go.

I like to increase the "mushiness" of my mechanical keyboards even further by purchasing a cheap pack of O rings from Aliexpress or Amazon, and applying those to the keycap stem of the keyboard. It takes time to apply all of them for each keycap, but my fingers thank me. Sometimes the O ring listing may give you a choice of some number such as 10A, or 70A. Essentially, the lower the number is, the softer/mushier it is. An O ring with a higher number is going to be more stiffer/less mushy. It's up to your personal preference. Additional 'Pro Stratz': you can stack two O rings on a keycap stem if you want to experiment with the feel.

Lastly, I did recommend the Gamakay Phoenix Switch because those are one of the few silent switches I found that also have a very light keypress force. I'm not sure if you're looking for that feature too, but I'm throwing it out there too.

As an aside, I think I'd like to experiment with getting a Niz Plum keyboard. I'm very tempted by the light force switches it has, but oh my lord, the price is somewhat scary. Does anyone have any experience with it?

When you mention the "silicone built into..." are you talking about switch film? If so, that is a whole different level than o-rings. Switch film goes inside the actual switch. You can get kits to do this on your own, and I'm sure some (probably super expensive keyboard maker) has it as an option. However to do it yourself you also have to get a switch opener (can be done with a screwdriver, but ehh).

They do dampen the rebound of the switch, but not the press. O-rings are used so that the keycap doesn't bottom out, as it does nothing to the switch. They can also make the keycap wobble slightly, as there will be less stem in the keycap itself.

As to what most keyboards do or don't come with, you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a keyboard that doesn't offer some sort of option between Blue (clicky), Brown (tactile), or Red (linear) unless it is a VERY cheap keyboard, as those usually just blue, but I honestly can't think of the last hot-swappable keyboard I saw that didn't come with a choice of switches.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

TWBalls posted:

Going by the sheer amount of times I've seen people asking how to rescue their keyboard after they accidentally spilled their beverage on it, I'm going to suggest picking up a plastic membrane to cover it (either that, or keep your beverages away from the keyboard). In fact, they make one for the Model M.

Or, if they are insistent that they continue to drink at/above their keyboard, get an adult sippy cup.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Chieves posted:

Hey friends, I have Microsoft Keyboard from probably 2017 or so. During the last reboot it has started to be strange as well. Like, the A key will open up display settings in Windows 10, D will type stuff like /`D, and so on. Restarted, replaced batteries, reinstalled drivers, no luck.

It's not like I'm married to this set, and it has been through a lot. Any other things to try before biting the bullet?

Since I don't think Microsoft ever made a mechanical, and it is a membrane keyboard, it could be that the traces are crossing paths. They are in layered sheets under the actual membrane. One can re-trace them, but it's itty bitty little wires you have to trace (which isn't the difficult part, usually they are on clear sheets and easy to follow) and solder in new paths (the very difficult part). There are also pens that can be used to re-make the trace I've seen somewhere.

It could also be that the trace sheets shifted and you are getting crossings on keypresses. Taking it apart and re-aligning those sheets might work, and you can see if there is any dust, hair, wear marks, on it. Might even try taping them together if you are sure they are perfectly aligned.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
What is a good, won't break the bank, split keyboard (like the ergodox), but not ortholinear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Reoxygenation posted:

Before people can make recommendations, are you ok with DIY solder kits or do you want prebuilt? That factors heavily into the price.

I'd say my soldering skills are fair. My father is an electrical engineer, if he'd be willing to, maybe. I have all the soldering things, but the patience at times of a bored house cat.