Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Anyone have a Tada68 and use QMK macros? Whenever I try to add one it makes the whole keyboard stop working, I've followed both the NEW WAY and OLD WAY listed here: https://beta.docs.qmk.fm/features/feature_macros

e: I've also tried some of the user layouts from the qmk git repository and any of them that have a macro wont work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Today I flashed my Tada68 with a proper DFU bootloader and it is so much better than the crappy mass storage one the Tada ships with.

My keyboard just seemed like it was slowly degrading more and more when I would try out new keymaps. First macros stopped working, and then new versions of QMK just wouldn't work with it at all, and then it just essentially bricked and stopped mounting as a mass storage drive when I put it in programming mode. After initial panic I read that it was possible to unbrick the thing by fixing the bootloader using a USBasb programmer and some bread board jumper cables.

I essentially just followed this nerd60 tutorial with some information from this tutorial using this programmer.

It ended up being sooo worth it and I'm actually happy that I bricked the drat thing because it's so much easier to mess with keymaps now. I really love the Tada68 and if I ever get another one I will do this immediately.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Wait your keyboard mounts as a mass storage drive? Man, 2019 is nuts.

Yeah it would appear as a drive and you copy over a FLASH.bin to change the keymap, but it was super buggy. If you unplugged or even ejected it without hitting esc to exit programming mode it could corrupt the bootloader. I would also have to clean the "drive" every time I mounted it because of the extra crap macOS adds to folders when you open them in finder. The new DFU bootloader just uses QMK Toolbox to flash new firmwares and it's faster and safer.

Programmable keyboards are a wonderful rabbit hole. :)

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I've come to the conclusion that you actually dont give a poo poo so buy whatever keyboard you want and ignore everyone's advice.

buglord posted:

Anywho, I came back to the thread to talk about my Vortex Race 3. I think it's been a month of ownership now? I love it to bits. I'm still pretty shocked that I ended up preferring the cherry reds over clears. Oddly, I feel like I type quieter and bottom out less on linear keys. I was easily louder on my old Das Keyboard with cherry browns because I kept trying to hit the actuation bump but not bottom out. But yeah, this keyboard is a joy to type on. Smooth keystrokes, the nicely textured caps, whisper silent typing, lovely weighted feel with no frame flex. Totally good purchase.

The Race 3 is a nice looking board that I have come close to getting a couple times. I'm just not sure about the big escape key.

I've never actually tried linear switches, just progressively more tactile ones, but I have a big order of switches coming to test. Excited to test them out because the linear crowd seems to be just as vocal as the tactile and clicky crowds about their superiority.

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 21, 2019

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Anyone built a numpad or macropad?

I'm currently looking at the KBDPAD V2 and the Sentraq Number Pad, but leaning towards the Sentraq because it supports QMK.

If anyone has other recommendations that would rock. I would like it be fully programmable so that I could switch it from a numpad to a macropad.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

thotsky posted:

What are some good programmable numpads, or maybe even macro-pads?

I don't have one so no comment on quality, but I've always thought this one looked pretty sweet: https://sentraq.com/collections/kits/products/number-pad-rgb-kit

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What are the best ~65% boards (with arrow keys)? Would like back-lighting of some sort.

I see this coming out soon, and it looks really great. Anything similar out right now?

https://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/Ducky-One2-SF

I love the Tada68. It has backlighting (not rgb) but you would have to get some shine through keycaps to take full advantage of it.

https://kbdfans.com/products/tada68-mechanical-keyboard-gateron-swtich-65-layout-dye-sub-keycaps-cherry-profils

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I enjoy the tada68 layout but I really dislike those keycap colors...

Are there any solid options for replacing them? I've replaced keycaps on my code, but a smaller layout seems a bit more difficult and finicky.

The keys you need to worry about are the three 1u modifiers on the right hand side and the 1.75u right shift key.

This is the current set I use, you might be able to find it on alieexpress or elsewhere: https://drop.com/buy/73957

More and more sets are coming with add-ons that work for the Tada68 and if you're getting a premium full set it will almost always have the keys you need. I have a few cheaper sets at home, when I get some time I'll try to make you a list.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Massdrop x Mito XDA Canvas is "expected" to ship on the 6th.

Anyone actually think that will happen?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

There is some hype for buttons that use cherry switches, like these.

e: missed EVGA's post, these are what they mentioned

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

drat I'm really liking the new GMK Kaiju set that was posted on Drop today.

Still don't own any GMK sets so maybe this will be my first.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

LuckyCat posted:

I was down for Kaiju until I learned about GMK Botanical.

getting botanical and just the warnings kit from the kaiju set could be a pro move

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

That's beautiful.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

abraham linksys posted:

Well, poo poo, looks like Karabiner is completely busted on Catalina, so I might have totally wasted $70 on this Keychron K6. I can't find any way to rebind the escape key to backtick/tilde and I do not think I'm going to be able to learn to hold the fn keys to access them, breaking a decade of muscle memory :smith:

Karabiner-Elements is remapping keys fine for me on Catalina. Is it not launching at all or is something else happening?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

abraham linksys posted:

The "devices" list is empty and none of my remaps are working. The log shows that the observer is seeing the devices correctly, but it's not populating the window :(

I've got everything set up for "Input Monitoring" under the Security settings:

Do any Karabiner processes show up in any other part of the security interface for you? I know when I first launched it I was supposed to "Allow" it in the Security & Privacy window, but I don't know if that worked correctly. It didn't show the kext deprecation popup, which I think it is supposed to?

I only have _grabber and _observer in the "Input Monitoring" section. Was fully expecting it to just be a security allowance issue but it looks like you've already been down that road. :(

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Stroop There It Is posted:

help, my switch sampler pack came and I can't stop playing with the box navy

yeah i got one of the 72 switch tester things from Drop and the box navy and box jade switches were big standouts for me

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Durgod sent out the backer survey for the Fusion. Did anyone else back the keyboard? What options did you choose?

I went with Original (white+orange) and MX Blues. The NES-like color scheme is pretty cool but it wouldn't really fit with my office colors.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Durgod Fusion arrived today. It's a really nice keyboard but unfortunately I can't get the dze software to recognize it, maybe it hasn't been updated yet.

The keycaps they included with this board are really nice, I kind of wish I could buy the set in other colors.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Durgod finally released an update for their software to support the Fusion. Now I can actually use this thing!

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Lord Stimperor posted:

Folks I have a problem with my Durgod Fusion. It worked fine at the beginning, but now it's constantly losing connection. If I want to type in a sentence, I'll have to press the first letter several times until it register. During these periods, the connection LED lights up, as though it was just reconnecting with the dongle. Sometimes a pressed key gets stuckkkkkkkkk, too. I've tried a bunch of different USB ports, hubs, and disabled power saving on all of them. The only thing that helps for a while is to cycle through all the connection modes. What do I do with this?

This hasn't been a problem with my Fusion so these are just some troubleshooting things I would go through. I would start by updating the firmware with the Durgod Zeus Engine if you haven't done that yet. After that I would remove the device from your computer by unplugging and removing the device via your device manager or "bluetooth and other devices" menu, then plug everything in again. If it is still happening after all that I would try to eliminate anything that may be interfering with the signal from the room, stuff like wifi access points, printers, gamepad dongles, wireless headphones, etc. Other devices shouldn't be causing problems but it might be worth a try.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Canna Happy posted:

Novelkeys is doing a nk65 entry restock tomorrow at 10am est. I have one that I really like after redoing the lube on the stabs.

The timing on this is amazing. Was just popping in the thread to ask for a good 65% kit and this seems perfect.

Now to decide what switches to go with. Last time I was considering building a board Box Jades were probably highest on my list. Any new hotness in tactile switches I should know about?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Yeah I'm not too worried about noise. Clicky switches are still tactile unless there is something fundamental I'm missing about these words.

Canna Happy posted:

Zealios or t1s would be my pick, but they’re not really new? A bunch of people in this thread like the u4 bobas.

Thanks for the recommendations. Are t1s a Zealios clone? Never heard of Bobas and they seem to be getting some really good reviews.

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 21, 2021

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Midjack posted:

If anyone was in the market for an LFKeypad, they're showing available on his website: https://www.lfkeyboards.com/lfkpad/

Thanks for the heads up, snagged one of these for my eventual roguelike controller build. Do you have any idea if there are cospad cases besides the ones that kprepublic sells? Haven't had luck finding any myself.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

You're both reminding me about that wonderful looking MT3 3277 set on drop that has just about every random keycap there is except a 2u shift and I'm crying.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I ended up goin with Boba U4s for my NK65 and I'm really loving them.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I used a tenkeyless for about a year before switching to a 65% board and I firmly believe if space saving w/ flexibility is your goal then it's really hard to beat the 65% layout.

Also tried a 60% for a few months and that required a bit too many key combos for my liking while not really saving much space over the 65%.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

ihatepants posted:

The NK65 Milkshake Edition I ordered arrived the other day and it's really cute. Gave it to my wife to use as her work keyboard.

~snip~

drat that is a cute keyboard. I've been looking to buy another NK65 to give my wife, bummer this one isn't still around I think she would've loved it.

What kind of switches does it use?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Disharmony posted:

Is it true that the cracking issue was resolved with the latest batch of NK65EE's?

Not sure when the latest batch was sold, but I picked one up at the end of January and the case has some hairline cracks in the corners.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Anyone know if there are any cases, for preferably hot-swap pcb, that have room for a raspberry pi? 65key would be ideal but I would be fine with any layout really.

I would like to cobble together a small raspberry pi cyberdeck type of thing, mostly for tinkering with Sunvox, and since I don't have a 3D printer buying a case to modify would be a nice head start.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I highly recommend the NK65 Aluminum Edition from NovelKeys. Kinda tempted to buy another one, the alien green color is pretty sweet.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Saukkis posted:

Is it possible to use Home Row Mod with the VIA firmware? I haven't figured out how to do that on the usevia.app.

Disclaimer, I only messed with this a bit and had never heard of home row mods before reading your post. But when setting the keymap, under the 'SPECIAL' tab there is an option called 'ANY' which lets you put whatever code you want on that key.

Using that I put MT(MOD_LGUI, KC_A) on a the 'A' key and it seems to work but was causing some weirdness while just trying to type normally. I'm guessing this is because of how the tapping_term is set by default so you'll probably need to write the code anyway.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I have too many keyboards but I really wanna buy that 8bitdo board. It would fit perfect with my raspberry pi emulator setup.

Do the keycaps feel high quality?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Framboise posted:

Monkeytype is your friend.

This looks awesome! I've never really stuck with a typing practice tool because I always run into something about them that annoys me but this looks customizable enough to solve any little issue I might have.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

sarcastx posted:

What do you think; sound like a feasible plan... or are the keys in switch testers fixed in place and irremovable?

I have 3 switch testers and all of them are removable. They're basically just pieces of plastic, in some cases 3d printed, that hold the switch in place and let you press it.

Your new keyboard comes with VIA/Qmk so you could just put the function row (or just f1) on a layer that requires you to press another key. You could keep it default and then switch to the layer with F1 disabled when you startup an Office suite application. VIA gives you tons of flexibility so I would probably start there instead of buying extra stuff.

Link to VIA: https://www.caniusevia.com/

If you already have the keyboard you can try the configuration tool in browser.

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 25, 2024

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Rebind capslock to control or an fn key please I beg you. It's in too good of a spot to waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

ijyt posted:

It was a very poo poo move I agree. Vial is better anyway: https://get.vial.today/

This is also a web app..

VIA can be downloaded and run on your computer if you don't like using it in browser.