Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Darn, all you people posting pictures of critters. I haven't posted enough pictures of our new (to us) doggo yet. She's a Good Girl, even if the cats are still skeptical as gently caress.

Off the topic of pets, I'm going racing tomorrow and I'm FUKKIN PSYCHED. Anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Doggo!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

the spyder posted:

... I just bought two more parts Rx-7's to finish a project. HELP ME I'M TURNING INTO CAT INTERCEPTOR!

Only two more parts RX-7s? Lolol.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Were you in a coma or in prison? Why would you wait that long? I am generally trying to find reasons to smoke pork shoulders more than twice a month. Understand that the in between weeks are spent smoking ribs/steak/chicken.

I smoked a pot roast a few weeks ago and just thinking about the gravy makes me tear up it was that beautiful.

You're making me feel better about my decision to build a balls out gravity feed cabinet smoker for my next smoker.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Here, have a picture of cats.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Sadi posted:

Im mostly looking for something new and some career advancement. Im still an Engineer 1, got passed over for a promotion last cycle, and my only friend who got a promotion got it by threatening to leave if he didn't. The new job would be a senior engineering position that Im well qualified for. So I feel that for career growth reasons it would be a good way to go. I don't know that I will get much advancement at my current job.

The thing I hate that I'm starting to run into is that it seems once you're into a company and doing a decent job, suddenly you're always too important to promote, but can't be paid more without a promotion. I've yet to work anywhere that actually promotes from within as opposed to just hiring someone new to fill the spot that a lot of internal people would really like and are qualified for.

I don't have a solution, but it's not just you.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

god dammit how did I miss the cat thread for 20 days straight

I have five cats plus currently one foster cat plus two outdoor feral TNR cats that we feed and this is not the maximum number of cats we've had. AMA about cats.

e. also I thought my truck was gonna need a new cat but it eked through smog again so that's one old cat still sticking around

Uh... so... are cats great or what?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Awww. Our two are both shelter cats... one had stomach cancer about 3 year ago, but beat it with chemo. She's like, 11 now, has scoliosis and arthritis but she's such a little sweetie. Well, to people, she's a bitch towards the other cat and the dog. Ironic that she's the boss given as how she's the runtiest thing in the house.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

scuz posted:

Welp, did my first go-kart track visit as an adult-aged person and I'm 100% hooked on racing. Next step I guess is to find a way to afford that MR2 AW11 and take 'er on up to a race track.

Oh god if you're small enough that the idea of being competitive in karts isn't laughably impossible, stick with that a while. Racing cars gets expensive faster than most people's ability to avoid expensive mistakes, if you get what I'm saying.

(... but I can't stop...)

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Enourmo posted:

:golfclap:

E: Also, one of my problems used a program called Dynacam, which seems amazing if the trial version wasn't so hamstrung. Thanks to that I learned that there is in fact another derivative of jerk, called "ping". At some point the abstraction from reality has to make these things border on useless, right?

Yup. Keith Duckworth (the "worth" in Cosworth) had a quote about cam design, which is really where the company started. I probably don't have this exactly right but "I reasoned that if I didn't know what jerk was, the engine probably didn't either"

Now, we know more and jerk may be important to avoid breaking through oil film on cam followers but good luck finding anyone to explain limits, and I've yet heard any explanation for what snap, crackle and pop (what I learned the further derivatives of jerk as) are good for other than smoothing the graph.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

beep-beep car is go posted:

We can't begin to fix the world until the last Boomer is gone. I love my parents and my wife loves hers, but gently caress Boomers.

This.

Also kinda weird. I was born in 82, wife was born in 86... we're both millenials but every so often we run into things where we generation gap each other.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

While I am all about actually showing up and voting, I can kind of understand the viewpoint of "... yeah, gently caress you both."

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

I was not a Hillary Clinton fan but I detest the false equivalence argument. Clinton was not a good candidate in broad historical terms compared to many other US presidents and presidential candidates, but she was massively, massively better than Trump and it's a huge, incredibly self-defeating mistake by the left to equate them.

On the one hand, agreed. On the other hand, if you're in a crummy economic situation, it's hard to get enthusiastic about, at best, "more of the same!". There's a lot of people who just are not enthusiastic about voting against candidates.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

The Locator posted:

What really ticks me off about the parties is that they seem to be unable to comprehend this:

Somewhere around 35~40% are going to vote "R", even if a damp bag of poo poo is the R candidate.
Somewhere around 35~40% are going to vote "D", even if a damp bag of poo poo is the D candidate.

How hard is it to understand that you need to find a candidate that will appeal to that 20~30% of voters that actually are willing to compromise and not vote straight party ticket in order to win? Instead they stick up candidates that appeal to their base, who would have voted for them no matter what, and the swing vote is left going "what the gently caress?", and trying to figure out which candidate disgusts them slightly less before holding their nose and casting their vote (or staying home and saying 'gently caress it').

Well... because that doesn't actually work. The mainstream DNC is moving towards the middle to try to execute that idea, and the GOP to the right... so what you have is a bunch of people who are articulating clear policy, and a bunch of people who are inherently going on about working with the other side and compromising. It would be the only thing that worked if every single eligible voter actually voted, but instead actually getting people to bother to vote for someone can pretty easily drown out swing voters.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Fo3 posted:

One day you will run out of housings, and then you'll be stuffed.

I had a 12a turbo once, I bet that was rare in the US. I had it rebuilt and ported 15 years ago and daily drove it for 5 years. I threw it in for free to the buyer when I sold my 808 and 929. Along with a 13B bridgeport and carbs.

gently caress that, how hard could housings be to make?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Enh, I've seen a bunch of hobbyists pop up now and then but nobody sufficiently serious. I've heard tell of new cast ones on some team's cars back in the Rolex GT RX-8 days too but no solid info. The big problem is 99% of all rotary people are just cheap and setting up to fix housings is always going to be more expensive than just cutting Mazda a check.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Darchangel posted:

Someone tried to do something like that years ago, but I haven't heard anything else about it. Would be nice if it happened, since the usual reason housings are chucked is because of peeling chrome. Grind them down a little, and spray a ceramic coating or whatever, polish, and not throw away a housing.

Well, I mean, Mazda did do it years ago, so it's not unpaved ground... ;)

I mean, the only bit that gets to be really unusual is the shape of the housings. I could find someplace local to do industrial hard chroming or flame/plasma spraying of cermets or whatever pretty trivially, but I'd have to actually make a jig to do the machining.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

cakesmith handyman posted:

Can't they be rechromed? I get mahoosive automotive press dies rechromed at work on the regular, they hit a specified chrome thickness to within a micron or two every time.

Like I said, very few people have hosed with it because you can still buy housings. IIRC the issue would be that you'd have to grind down to a certain depth so that the evenly deposited chrome would end up right - so you need a grinding wheel moving in a weird geometry, basically. And that's about the point where most people give up.

It makes me want to go digging and figure out like, when aftermarket castings of SBC/etc stuff started happening to figure out what sort of market forces it would take to make it practical for rotary poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Costa Rica, Hawaii is too tourist trap-y. We landed there on our way back from Japan, and holy crap its like Vegas with less desert and more prices.

Just to comment, "which island" is important with Hawaii. I wouldn't go back to Oahu, for example, but Kauai and the big island are pretty neat.

• Locked thread