Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Did I hit mark unread? Or have I just missed half a months worth of chat thread? Who knows.

Test drove an F-150. I knew it was huge from sitting in one before, but I'd hoped it would feel smaller while driving.

Nope! Felt even bigger. Driving a brontosaurus would not feel this big

gently caress

Test drove a Tacoma.

Still felt big, definitely lacked the power, but it was livable.

I started looking at trucks to have fun off road and tow the motorcycle to track days, but independent of that, I've started taking steps towards finishing my degree. Since I don't want to transfer when I already have 100 credits done, and UNRs web offerings loving suck, I'm probably going to have to move back to Reno to finish it. 4x4 would be nice for winter drives over the Sierras, and maybe when I'm done the Ranger will be out and I can put that awesome resale value towards a truck with the size of a Tacoma but with a grown up Ford engine in it. The 3.5EB and the 10A in an aluminum bodied Tacoma size truck would be hilariously good fun.

I'm also in Vegas for the first time, with my GF, and it's pretty fun even after a 10 hour drive.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Wrar posted:

Why not look at a smaller truck, like the Colorado?
I'm a pretty big Ford fanboy, and despise GM (actually for different reasons than the fanboy stuff). Also if I'm going to buy a truck the Tacoma has stupidly high resale value, so I'll cash in on that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Off to see Baby Driver at the drive in tomorrow evening.....
To counter everyone else, the Baby Driver was good, but not as good as the hype suggests.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

I think it's official enough to post. The wife and I are moving to Ukraine. it is not open for debate or renegotiation.
We've rented a 500sq-m warehouse, and are starting the second makerspace(that i'm aware of) in this country.

However.

Buy my tools, truck, bus, and our fabrication poo poo, and david's DR. (my bike is tentatively sold already)

You all should know that incase poo poo goes awry we do have an exit strategy planned. We know what we're getting into.
When is the move? We still need to go for a ride together at some point.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

The move date is planned for Oct 1. The Drz was sold to a friend and will be delivered two weeks after I return which is jul23.

We're here now gauging whether or not we would be able to live here.
So we'd need to ride soon after you get back.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I'm currently on vacation in Las Vegas, and it's 112116°F out. Perfect time to visit the hotel pool... And to get kicked out of the water for 20 minutes while they fix a light that had managed to get loose from the housing and was just floating there. 112116°F is loving hot.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 16, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Sadi posted:

Unrelated,
I'm coming to a conundrum. I like my current job on. It's been my first out of school, I get a lot of design freedom, make things the way I want them, I have access to a machine shop whenever I want to make poo poo, I like the majority of the guys I work with, and I don't make bad money. Downsides, they still consider me an entry level engineer after 3.5 years of work, and there doesn't seem to be much internal promotion or room for growth here. I have the opportunity to take a job with a much larger company, only a slightly longer drive, probably a 20% or more raise, still doing design work. It is a nuclear Industry job though, which has a reputation for being slow and boring. I'm kind of scared that I might be running away from a good thing. I don't know a lot of people who like their jobs.
20% isn't bad, especially if you are coming off a fairly high number to begin with. Can you take the new job without burning the bridges that let you into the machine shop? Or even letting you come back to the old/current job if you don't like the new one?

Why are you looking for something new? Money? Respect? Title? or just looking for something new and different?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

fridge corn posted:

we watched the martian and the only thing good about it was sean bean was in it
You, sir, are objectively wrong.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

How much dialogue do you expect there to be when he's literally the only person on that planet?

Movie was good, book was great.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh hey there broken ankle buddies. Actually not a huge problem but you will have added titanium for a while... or in my case for good. You can forget about running for a long while too.

Good news is that you wont be out for long after surgery and the cast will be light. I was under for a hour and got a half cast. Also you will most likely be able to start putting weight on it fairly quickly.

And I know exactly how much that hurt. I didnt sleep for a week
When did you break an angle?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

For a moment there I'm like.... did I really make that typo?

Turns out No I didn't for once :D

(28 years ago, still got the titanium or whatever they made the plate / screws and ball from. I got king hit in a rugby tackle by a Kiwi that twisted the ankle in the wrong direction and ummmm.... yeah I still cringe remembering how goddamn much it hurt)
Nope. My typo. Ah. Was wondering if I'd missed something.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The Locator posted:

I still can't believe what we got. Both parties are so dysfunctional and myopic that they completely ignore what the country as a whole wants and seemingly can't find a palatable and competent candidate to stick up on the podium to get my vote.
This is the part that eats at me. Any halfway decent candidate would have easily taken this election, and we still ended up with like 5% 3rd party.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

The Locator posted:

Doesn't help that the 3rd party candidates were also terrible (albeit in different ways). We didn't even have a reasonably palatable 'protest vote' to vote for.
True. But that just ties into a bad year all the way 'round.

The Locator posted:

What really ticks me off about the parties is that they seem to be unable to comprehend this:

Somewhere around 35~40% are going to vote "R", even if a damp bag of poo poo is the R candidate.
Somewhere around 35~40% are going to vote "D", even if a damp bag of poo poo is the D candidate.

How hard is it to understand that you need to find a candidate that will appeal to that 20~30% of voters that actually are willing to compromise and not vote straight party ticket in order to win? Instead they stick up candidates that appeal to their base, who would have voted for them no matter what, and the swing vote is left going "what the gently caress?", and trying to figure out which candidate disgusts them slightly less before holding their nose and casting their vote (or staying home and saying 'gently caress it').
Also this.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Berkeley is the intellectual shithole of America.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

On a completely different subject....
Tacoma vs F150.

Go!

Seriously, why the *gently caress* did Ford kill the Ranger? And why is it taking so long to bring it back? Gimme the 3.5EB in a mid sized body and I'm sold. I'll probably end up leasing the taco and replacing it with a ranger in a bit, I just can't wait another year for Ford to pull their head out of their rear end and release the thing.

I have a great fear that it'll max out with the 2.7EB just to piss me off.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 27, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

rdb posted:

Small trucks don't make sense in this country. Just get an F-150 if a truck is what you want. I rent one about every other week and the 3.5 with the 10 speed returns some impressive gas mileage and seems solid enough. I wouldn't trust it in the long run given its inherent complexity, but if your planning on dumping it before then its going to be ok. Also ford shameful warranty denials but toyota has done the same to me so meh.

I would consider buying one myself and I am usually a chevy guy. Although mine would probably be a 5.0 with the 10 speed.
Yeah, I test drive one and it just felt so loving huge... I need to drive one again. The F-150 had vastly more technology options available, too. Costs a bit more, but it's a lot more truck.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

rdb posted:

Also they should be discounting the crap out of the 2017s since 2018 is a redesign. Its one of those vehicles where you should be paying 10k off sticker at least.
I drive a Mustang. And before that it was a different mustang. Big truck feels big to me. I'll get used to it, though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

100%? Probably not. Did going from dogwhistle to outright 'screw those browns' hurt Trump's support in the slightest? Nope.

Continuing to support racists when they are being openly and unabashedly racist really hurts the 'but I'm one of the good ones!' argument.
The other side was Hillary loving Clinton. It didn't matter what Trump said, 90% were voting against that [expletive of your choice] WAY more than voting for Dick who won.

KakerMix posted:

Sucks man, but what are you supposed to do when someone is screaming like a child, shits their pants, falls over and screams some more and they are a 34 year old adult? Try to rationalize why it's your fault they are the way they are? At what point do you go 'ok you know what gently caress this you are an idiot'?
Why does the right get to be the big dumb idiot that gets to say and do whatever they want but the other side has to tip-toe around and try to accommodate? I wish the left would get down and dirty like the right and just mock the poo poo out of them. It works for them and trying to be nice didn't work for the left so why not be lovely?
I just keep rolling back around to a generation divide. Wait for them to die and try to clean up the mess.
They aren't going to be remembered fondly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZHp4JLWjNw

Don't say the left doesn't roll in the loving mud.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 28, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

As a fan of destruction derby back in the 90s I thought wreckfest was a pretty fun car game - but I haven't played it for 6 months now so I don't know if they have fixed any of the annoying bugs.

my new car has a trip hour counter in addition to a trip mileage counter. Why don't all cars have hour counters?

Over the last 13 days I have spent 23.5 hours driving :(
My last tank of gas lasted 6 hours and 35 minutes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Y'all are dicks about some things, but you were right about the F-150 compared to the Taco. A Lightning Blue 501A Supercrew followed me home today.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Why such a tiny trailer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

But accurate.

Also I haven't been camping in way too long. Truck is gonna see dirt a week from Saturday.

• Locked thread