Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fog Tripper posted:

Yar, I watched everything since the reboot all the way to the first few Capaldi. It felt like he was trying too hard or something. Just couldn't dig it.

For what it's worth the most recent season was a huge step up from Capaldi's previous ones, and the new companions were fantastic.

E: Forgot which thread I was in.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's not dreaded because it's badly scripted, or badly acted. It's dreaded because the politics are so unbelievably reprehensible.

Although it is pretty badly scripted too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cleretic posted:

This running gag is the most enjoyment anyone ever got from the Silence.

Barry the Silent was pretty funny.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I think Chibnall will change a whole ton, and the console room will be included. I hope the theme son gets a lot less busy but includes, in some form, a picture of Thirteen's face.

I was really hoping that when Missy was pretending to be Doctor Who they'd put her face in the opening credits.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

That would have been hilarious.

I know it would have reused the joke from Death in Heaven but I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Eccleston was born in the mid 60s though, he was the right age to see the good stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

deathbot posted:

What fun standalone episodes would you recommend from Eleven and Twelve's run?

Eleventh Hour sets up the first season of Eleven so it's not entirely stand-alone but it's absolutely fantastic and one of the best intro episodes the show has done. It's the wrong time of year but The Christmas Carol is easily the best Christmas episode the show has done, and pretty good in its own right.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I should rewatch Last Christmas some time because I really did not care for it when I first saw it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

I'm gonna go out on a different limb and suggest Vincent and The Doctor as a great introduction to the show.

I was thinking about that but I couldn't remember how much Rory's absence affected the story. It's a great episode though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/nick_octopus/status/887022225941032961

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I am really curous to see what they do for the companion(s), and whether they go with a Ross/Mark/Don/Arnie/Carl male version of the standard character or something else.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Holmes is public domain so it's easy to have all sorts of crazy adaptions.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

remusclaw posted:

It is very clear that the draw of Holmes is in the character rather than in the stories told around him. This is why you get Holmes but as a Doctor and such. He is the prototype of the prickly genius archetype.
One of the reasons to do Holmes as a Doctor is because he's based on a doctor. Which is how you get a Holmes and Watson pastiche with Doyle in the Watson role.

demota posted:

... what? :stare:
It's meant to be that no racist caricatures should be used (ie Chinese people aren't all Fu Manchu), but the passage of time has meant that that rule itself now looks racist.

E: Part of the reason I actually like Terror of the Vervoids is that it's clearly trying to be an Agatha Christie-style story.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

From early 1974 (when Death to the Daleks aired)

E: There was an interview where Capaldi was asked about which villains he'd like to have on the show and most of his choices were from Pertwee's era (along with the Chumblies, which is the kind of deep cut that puts him as hot favourite for "which actor is the biggest fan").

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 21, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM2bXjs0n2g

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This is the case in the episode as well - a new solution is only negotiated because of the threatened and actual violence done by the Zygons. Even if we take your very kind interpretation as base, the Doctor still only gets involved after it becomes a shooting war. He's around on Earth a lot at this point - why does the same thing not apply to him, especially given that he is President [edit] although I forget if it's that episode where we find it out, if so that doesn't really apply [/edit]?
Don't we find out in the S8 finale?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah most of the problems with season 6 are with the big River arc. The individual episodes are pretty good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Also if someone has a grip like iron you can defeat them.

Much like the Angels' true ability is to change their rules every episode, Magneto actually has power over similes and metaphors.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Also Michelle Ryan's character is annoying, which is made doubly frustrating by the fact the show clearly wants us to love her.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

All Warriors of the Deep needs to be a good story is a few more passes on the script and an electrical failure in the lighting.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's really poo poo in the Astronaut 2-parter, especially given he did some great cliffhanger / resolution things in Empty Child/Doctor Dances and Pandorica/Big Bang.

E: And yeah, the recent 2-part finale does feel a bit disjointed between episodes.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 2, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

FOAMASI - You mentioned Foamasi?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

TinTower posted:

The quality of companions is inversely proportional to their sexual attraction to the Doctor.

Go on, prove me wrong. :colbert:

Captain Jack, Romana.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

marktheando posted:

It's not that bad, but it's just kind of a nothing episode. I re-watched it a couple days ago and I've already forgotten most of it.

It has one of the stupider screwdriver scenes in the show.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Who isn't like that, Who does very deliberately play with sci-fi concepts even if the actual science of it is nonsense and basically just aesthetic. It's still a lot softer than Star Trek since it doesn't shy away from straight-up craziness and things that cannot by any stretch of the imagination make real-world sense, but I feel like it usually does endeavor to at least make everything that isn't the Time Lords make sense, and face some very hard sci-fi concepts that Wars would never touch (and I'm specifically thinking of the Cybermen here, but there's other examples).

I think it's more than just an aesthetic choice; the character is named after a respected figure of learning and his m.o. is based around applying knowledge over more physical forms of heroism. The show values science and rationality (and wants the audience to as well), even if the specifics are nonsense.

BSG (to pick an example) is much harder sci-if but it doesn't have the same reverence for actual science that Star Trek or Doctor Who have.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

I read that as slow couch and now I want a TARDIS whose Chameleon Circuit is trapped in the shape of a chaise lounge

Imagine the climax of Day of the Doctor, but instead of police boxes, it's different types of furniture

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Murderion posted:

Lie of the Land is passable-ish if you skip Pyramid and make it a 2-parter.
Also if you skip the first 15 minutes or so.

Maybe the following 30 as well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

It had Topol playing Clive Owen (and being awesome, in general), and that incredible mountain climbing scene at the end. And killing "Blofeld" at the beginning. And it's dripping in the Cold War, more so, I think, than any other Bond movie. Hell, I think it's probably my favorite Roger Moore entry.

I think Diamonds are Forever is more forgettable, as it's clear Connery was phoning it in, at that point. I know they went to Vegas, and Blofeld had hair now...that's most of what I can remember. Oh, and Crispin Glover's dad was in it.

It's lucky that most people forget Diamonds are Forever because if they remembered it they'd realise how poo poo it is. People might know the theme but that's about it.

For Your Eyes Only is great though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/JohnBarrowman/status/904418561250250753

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

What was he like in Casanova?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Hbomberguy did quite a good video on it (and also links it tangentially to Doctor Who), although he does get some things wrong in their relation to the original books (I can't recall what off the top of my head).
He assumes they were fair-play mysteries when they frequently weren't.

The Holmes in the Consulting Detective boardgames is a cheating arsehole too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

The Ribos Operation is so much better than I remember it being. Just the idea of the Doctor watching a con man and trying to figure out if he's JUST a con man or some kind of counter-agent to his mission is a fun idea.

It's one of my favourite stories overall, with some crackling dialog and great costumes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve binged through season 1 of The Good Place this weekend, and I want Ted Danson to be the US AU 12th Doctor. He’s so fascinating to watch; he’s got the friendliness and flappy hands talking of 11, with the occasional angry bursts of 12.

He's got a fantastic laugh too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Not a fan of the high-waisted capris. Suspenders are good, boots are good, coat is great.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

I know the JNT era has been sort of redeemed in a lot of circles, but goddamn is The Leisure Hive very immediately worse than The Horns of the Nimon, and I don't even like the latter very much. The hair and makeup by Crayola, the dread seriousness of everything, the soundtrack that sounds like it was cribbed from bits of The Sea Devils, the embarrassing opening, the question marks. I just want Duggan to show up and start punching everyone.

You mentioned Foamasi?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Sandshoes is a really Scottish term for plimsoles, too. It’s not a phrase I’d ever heard here in England before now.

Australian too, although it's a bit old-fashioned now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

TBaker puts a bomb in a dude's pocket and lets him walk off to his death in The Ribos Operation.

• Locked thread