Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

And here we are again. The hiatus months. After what I've determined to be a divisive series, we now reflect on what we've learned: the Master is dead, the Doctor is about to die, and Bill is not-exactly-dead-but-not-exactly-alive. With the Doctor trying to will himself not to regenerate, he runs into the last person you'd expect: himself (or a reasonable facsimile)! What does the First Doctor have to say to the Twelfth Doctor? Hell, what does the Twelfth Doctor have to say to the First Doctor? We'll find out...at Christmas.

The Christmas 2017 special will mark not only the departure of Peter Capaldi as the Doctor incumbant, but also the departure of showrunner Steven Moffat. Over the past six series, Doctor Who has continued to grow as a television series, building a mythos of its own just from 2005 onward. That's not to say that Moffat hasn't honoured the past, because holy poo poo Alpha Centauri? Nobody saw that coming! Of course, Moffat's tenure won't just be remembered for the highs. Remember the split series we had in 2011 and 2012/13? That was confusing. Not to mention the lack of a 2016 series, which some regard as an unforgivable sin. Oh, and some episodes that DID air were not very good. In a way, though, it's the same cycle we had in the RTD era. When he announced he was bringing back Doctor Who, we were all 'hooray!' but when he left in 2010, we were all 'thank God'. It's the hoop of existence.

So, now what you may ask? Well, if you're an American (and possibly if you're a Canadian), I have good news!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWwJLqjoCfc

If the video won't play outside of North America, here's the deal: RiffTrax is going to riff on The Five Doctors, live in cinemas across America (and maybe Canada) on August 17th! If you don't see it live (or see its encore a week later), don't fret - Mike, Kevin, and Bill usually put up an audio file of the jokes you sync manually...eventually. We're still waiting on the Mothra riff from last year. If you're on the fence about going, what is wrong with you? It's RiffTrax! They're really funny! (note: I am also the OP of the RiffTrax thread in CD)

After that, well, I'm sure there's SOME Doctor Who material you haven't digested yet. Whether it's a book, a comic, or an audio drama, it's almost impossible to keep up with all the adventures out there. I say ALMOST impossible, because there's a website that kept up with literally every Doctor Who story of every kind that hasn't updated since the Day of the Doctor. If some :spergin: out there wants to run with it, I'm all for it!

The previous thread can be found here. Now for the formalities.

NO SPOILERS
By edict of the moderators, this is a SPOILER-FREE ZONE. Other than backstage stuff (hiring people), DO NOT POST SPOILERS. AT ALL. Even if the Washington Post reveals video of Donald Trump handing a big stack of government secrets to Vladimir Putin and one of the papers is labeled 'Martha Jones is a Rutan', DON'T POST IT HERE. If you must post about spoilers, go to the spoiler thread. Episode titles can be spoiler-y, so use discretion when discussing episodes yet to air. For example, 'Hide' doesn't spoil anything, but 'OH poo poo IT'S THE DALEKS' does.

WHERE DO I START?
If you want to start with the revival, you should start with The Eleventh Hour The Pilot. This doesn't mean to disregard the nine series from 2005-2015, but it's a good getting-on point. If you want to watch the original series, there are plenty of places to start. You COULD start with An Unearthly Child and watch everything in chronological order. You could also watch individual serials of all the Doctors and determine which you like the best. Keep in mind, don't shotgun a whole Hartnell or Troughton in one go, or else you'll get complacent. Those 60's episodes are meant to be seen one at a time, and if you only just rented the DVD, wait a few hours between episodes.

The most popular serials for the original series you can jump into are:

First Doctor: An Unearthly Child, The Aztecs
Second Doctor: The Tomb of the Cybermen, The Enemy of the World
Third Doctor: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Fourth Doctor: Pyramids of Mars, The Robots of Death
Fifth Doctor: Kinda, Frontios
Sixth Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
Seventh Doctor: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

WHERE CAN I WATCH DOCTOR WHO ON TELEVISION?

Original Series:
USA - Retro TV, some PBS stations
Australia - Syfy
UK and Canada - you're out of luck

Current Series:
UK - BBC One (first run), Watch
USA - BBC America (first run), most PBS stations
Canada - Space
Australia - ABC1 (first run), ABC2, Syfy

WHERE CAN I STREAM DOCTOR WHO?

Original Series:
USA - BritBox*
Everyone else - you're out of luck (Australians can watch the TV movie on Stan, though!)

*Day of the Daleks, Planet of the Daleks, the Five Doctors, Resurrection of the Daleks, Revelation of the Daleks, and Remembrance of the Daleks are not available, along with any serial missing at least one episode.

Current Series:
UK - Netflix
USA - Amazon Video
Canada - CraveTV
Australia - Netflix & Stan

SHOULD I BUY THE DVDs AND BLU RAYS?
Just for the bonus features alone.

AN INCREASINGLY LESS BRIEF GUIDE TO BIG FINISH
There are hundreds, probably thousands of Doctor Who and Doctor Who-related audio dramas released by Big Finish Productions. This is not a post telling you what audio dramas to listen to, because everyone has an opinion that is different from everyone else (some people like Minuet in Hell, believe it or not). This is a post telling you the basic info on the different series of titles there are. I'm only covering ongoing ranges, since devoting a paragraph to the Stage Plays seems a bit silly. If you're wondering why I'm about to spend a good portion of the OP about audio dramas, you are clearly new to the Doctor Who thread.

The Monthly Range
Since 1999, Big Finish have released, on a consistent basis, mostly standalone stories featuring the Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh (formerly including Eighth) Doctors. Up to 227th(!) release this month.

The Fourth Doctor Adventures
Tom Baker gets his own line of releases.

Philip Hinchcliffe Presents
Back on again! Another Tom Baker line of releases, all based on stories written by former showrunner Philip Hinchcliffe.

The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield
Sylvester McCoy (and later, David Warner) plays a supporting role to Bernice Summerfield, a companion introduced in the Virgin New Adventures line of books.

Novel Adaptations
Based on Virgin New Adventures and Virgin Missing Adventures, the book ranges that lasted Doctor Who fans from 1991 to 1997.

The Eighth Doctor Adventures / Dark Eyes / Doom Coalition
Paul McGann's Doctor also gets his own line. Goons love 'em.

The Tenth Doctor Adventures
David Tennant reprises his role in mini-seasons every chance he can get, and the results are very RTD-like. In a good way!

The Companion Chronicles / The Early Adventures
This is important: SOME OF THESE ARE NOT AUDIO DRAMAS. These are "enhanced audiobooks" for the most part, which means that one person does all the parts while another gives narration, but also contains sound effects and music cues. The Companion Chronicles originally were one-handers, but now may contain small casts, which the Early Adventure always have.

Spinoffs
There are a ton of these, ranging from good (I, Davros) to who gives a poo poo (anything involving a companion from the audio series).

THE TOXXUPATION THREAD WITH A VENGEANCE
It's back! Watch in amazement as the forums user currently known as Lick! The! Whisk! puts his writing skills to the test in describing his thoughts on the most recent series. They will be wrong.

FINALLY, let's take a look back to the year 2007!

serotet posted:

Motion: The Cybermen Have Never Had A Defining Classic Story.

Yeah, Tomb was very neat, but the Cybermen themselves are brutally underused and from my vague recollection, apart from the Cybercontroller in the dying minutes of episode 4, they never leave the tomb cave at all.

Earthshock (or Resurrection of the Cybermen as I like to call it) is dull, like watching a film Michael Bay might have directed in his early teens. I'm sure the reveal in episode 1 was cool at the time, but, like the Toclafane twist, it has no dramatic value beyond 'Surprise!'.

I'm settling down to watch The Invasion sometime next week, but I've heard it doesn't justify it's length and I can't see how it ever could. Hope I'm wrong though!

In conclusion: Every cyberstory after Tomb was crap

The more things change, the more they stay the same! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Thanks for the heads up on the Companion Chronicles - I've said it in previous threads, but I'm not a fan of the 'enhanced audiobook' format, so I've kind of got a blank spot in regards to that series.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I like Frontios (see the OP), but the Fifth Doctor is probably the most diverse in determining the best jumping-on point that is not crap.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

CommonShore posted:

12 had also just gone through the whole Trenzalore thing, too.

Well, 11 technically. 11 was moments away from perma-death, so 12 naturally is thinking of mortality for, essentially, his whole life.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I certainly hope it's animation if they got an article written about it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
He'd have made a better Master than a Doctor.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm going to go on the record and say I don't care what race or gender the person the BBC casts the Doctor is. Find someone who fits the role and is good at acting.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Saw who the new Doctor was. Thought 'huh, never heard of her'. Then I went and watched the British Grand Prix.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

SleepCousinDeath posted:

is there any reason they decided to use Muse for this scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6FqVojy25k

I'm guessing quid pro quo for Muse's 'Uprising'.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Gaz-L posted:

I only recently found out her husband is Jack Davenport of Pirates Of The Caribbean and Coupling fame which for some reason seems absurd.

Well, Moffat wrote Coupling, so I guess he must have run into Gomez at some point.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Planet of the Dead is what happens when, given the option of bad Who or no Who, the former is chosen.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

jivjov posted:

Time Lords seem to age roughly analogous to how humans do, it just takes them a hell of a lot longer. We see young John Hurt's reflection at the start of his regeneration, before we get Granddad Grumpy in Day of the Doctor; the 5th Doctor looks all frumpy in Time Crash because of the "shorted out time differential", adding a few hundred years of wear to his face; 10 and 11 both age roughly human-like, just over centuries. I reconcile DobbyDoctor as the laser screwdriver basically forcing him to age without letting him either die or regenerate. And we do see a young 1 in that 12th Doctor episode Listen, looking like a little kid.

DobbyDoctor was made when the Master said 'You don't look 900 years old, Doctor'.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

He's a judge for the 2017 Bruntwood prize for playwriting, he's working on A Very British Scandal for Channel 4, and he's grown a moustache.

HOLY poo poo, I LOOK LIKE RTD

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Burkion posted:

Are you 8 foot tall?

No, and I also have more hair.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Regarding Murray Gold themes: I enjoyed the theme tune during Capaldi's tenure much more than Smith's versions and the God-awful Series 4 version. I like 'The Chase', though, and hopefully that bit of the theme continues with Whittaker's Doctor.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

2house2fly posted:

Man i loved the series 4 one, it sounded... cool

It sounded like the Stolen Earth/Journey's End was written.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's pretty insane to think that the Queen has had the opportunity to watch every episode of Doctor Who.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just realized how true this thread title is, sadly.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I re-watched Voyage of the Damned today, and I can firmly say without hyperbole it is the dumbest Christmas special Doctor Who has ever had. It's not bad, but BOY is it dumb.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Mods, please change the thread title to Doctor Who: Martin van Buren in a Japanese game show

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
As Bill Corbett said, you get healthcare, we get this.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Better than nothing.

Well, I mean, we kind of already HAVE that.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The fat, as they say...

(pushes button)

The Fat Just Walks Away!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Maybe have a character from the early 1990's? That would be an interesting twist.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The duel in Part 7 of Marco Polo does the opposite of work in the reconstructions.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Listen, I've only just finished season 2 of Arrow, I'll get to LoT eventually.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Astroman posted:

But at least they won't have to pay McCartney, Ringo, and the Harrison and Lennon families royalties! That would be ridiculous!

I'm almost certain the Beatles wouldn't allow their appearance in the Chase internationally no matter how much the BBC would pay them. The only reason their TOTP performance is on the British DVDs is because the BBC owns the footage - since it's a mime, the audio is owned by the band, and that's as close as impossible to license as possible.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Burkion posted:

I don't know if they'd even have the budget to do an animated version

But I'm right there with you. Man

Good news: The Daleks' Master Plan gets an animated reconstruction!

Bad news: Series 11 is only 6 episodes.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
There's not much you can do with Toymaker and not have him end up as a Batman '66 villain.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Enough of trying to rehab the Toymaker. Give me David Mitchell as the Meddling Monk or go to hell.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bicyclops posted:

Oh come on, there's way less you can do with the Meddling Monk than the Toymaker.

Have the Monk overstep his boundaries and put the universe in chaos due to an innocent prank! There's a story right there.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bicyclops posted:

It's very imaginative and I like the bee characters and the way they move and talk, but in retrospect it was probably best not to film the entire thing with a camera lens smeared with vaseline and a repetitive beep noise.

They're butterfly people, which is why they're relative to the caterpillar people :eng101:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Fil5000 posted:

The two part finale features the Doctor battling four cartons of Benson and Hedges and a bottle of Laphroaig.

But enough about Tom Baker's time on the show.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

corn in the bible posted:

The time is right for Second Susan

...played by a guy, in the ultimate role reversal!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

CommonShore posted:

88 days left in the Capaldi era.

Man, I've never been as depressed for Christmas before you put like that. Nothing against Whittaker, but seeing Capaldi go is going to be a bit sad.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Those Daleks are actually Regice. It's science.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Why is Germany getting a complete Seventh Doctor DVD box set and nobody else :argh:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Shneak posted:

Oh she's wearing pants and not a flowy skirt. :monocle:

Not even 7 would have worn non-pants.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I will fix that...for the next thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm not one to shy away from buying a new avatar. Hell, this is my third username! The key is to not think so hard as to talk yourself out of it.

• Locked thread