Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
There are some that the template fits to a tee - Three and Six are obvious Hartnells while Seven and Eleven are pretty explicitly modelled after Troughton - but the ones I have most trouble cramming into either box are Davison and Eccleston.

Davison probably because Five was a reaction to Tom who was in the role for so long that Four became the default take on the character, and while he dials down the standoffishness of Tom and brings back more teacherly qualities, he doesn't really feel like a Hartnell to me since the more Troughtony aspects of Four (younger, more energetic Doctor) are still there.

Eccleston is hard to fit into either category because Nine wasn't really a reaction to anyone, coming after the long break and being portrayed by a non-fan. Even so, if I had to, I'd probably class him as a Hartnell, since he tends towards the more serious end of the spectrum, and he's one of the few Doctors besides Hartnell I can picture hitting someone in the face with a shovel.

EDIT: The difference being, of course, that Nine would calm down and feel really guilty, while One would chuckle a bit and then immediately forget about it.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

thexerox123 posted:

Have any examples of 5 loving with people?

Leaving Adric to die

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Coming soon to BBC Three, it's

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

After The War posted:

Resurrection of the Dales

No spoilers for the new season of Twin Peaks please!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Yesterday I bought Emperor of the Daleks, the newest collection of classic Doctor Who Magazine comic strips by Panini Books, to alleviate what had turned out to be a rather spectacularly lovely day. I don't know what it is about the DWM comics, but they seem to hit this sweet spot that's just perfect for me - they're a bit involved in terms of continuity, but in a way that's imaginative and story-driven instead of obtusely fannish. Maybe it's just because they know their readership so well, they know that they can rely on most readers knowing what Rutans are or what happened on Spiridon to allow them to base new stories on that. It also helps that the comics mostly pull from the TV show, and they (usually) avoid getting mired in their own obscure continuity in the way the novels sometimes did.

(The titular story in Emperor is actually the worst offender in this regard that I've read - it's a cool story, but there's a whole big to-do about Abslom Daak and the Dalek War and Benny stuff I seem to half-remember from some Paul Cornell novel or another, and the book obviously expects me to care about these Beloved Tertiary Characters that really don't bring anything to the story on their own. The Eighth Doctor stories steer a bit towards a more self-involved continuity, too, but I can give them a pass since the DWM strips were in a more prominent role compared to other EU stuff at that point, and at least they tend to keep away from referencing Big Finish or the BBC Books line. The key to keeping your continuity references in check is to not blur the lines between spin-off lines, it seems.)

So yeah, the DWM comics seem to operate on this specific flavour of fanwank that I personally really enjoy. The Panini reprints are gorgeous, too, and it's great that they're releasing old stuff in between collections of current-day strips (and hopefully they'll get around to re-releasing some of the out-of-print Eighth Doctor books once they run out of Seven stuff). The old comics are something of a different animal from modern DWM strips - I haven't read too much of their New Who stuff, but the fact that we're out of the Wilderness Years alone means that their focus has to be a bit different from what makes the old strips so much fun - but seeing how the Twelfth Doctor recently met the Delgado Master of all things, it seems to me that some of that spirit that makes the old comics so enjoyable to me is still there.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm thinking back to last time; Capaldi hadn't been massively discussed (I don't remember if we had anywhere near the level of "it'll be either this one or that one" when we were awaiting Twelve's casting that we seem to have had with Marshall and Waller-Bridge; I couldn't tell you who was attracting the most speculation back then at all) until virtually just before he was announced when there was a big rush of bets on him.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge is the favourite but going by the Clinton/May Precedent, 2016-17 is not a good year for women who are the favourites.

I remember Rory Kinnear being the bookers' favourite for 12 at some point, I think?

I'm hoping for Waller-Bridge so hard but I'm so prepared to be so disappointed :smith:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Here's some new bookie predictions that are completely and totally meaningless:

Jodie Whittaker has gone up a bit, which is interesting but still completely and totally meaningless.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Incredibly, incredibly exciting news. I can't wait to see what she'll do with the role. I'll probably have to check out Attack the Block while waiting.

I'm so glad Chibnall and the BBC finally decided to just do it, this time it really felt like it was now or never. The casting pool for future Doctors has just doubled!

I mean, I know that won't be her costume or anything, but she already fits in so well. I really am very very happy about this.

Sad King Billy posted:

Isn't that the one where the Daleks set fire to a cardboard cutout Queen Elizabeth?

Almost as happy as I am to post this:

(in case anyone needs a frame of reference for what constitutes non-vomit-inducing Doctor Who in Ian Levine's eyes)

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Colin is the best and wish he was my uncle

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

marktheando posted:

Nah Cyberbrig was just really really terrible on every level. A loving tribute to a character should not involve desecrating that character's corpse.

Funnily enough, a major plotline in the new Twin Peaks plays out very much as a loving tribute to a past character despite being centered around that character's dismembered corpse.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I've only just now realised that for the entirety of this conversation I've been imagining Cyber-Brig looking like this picture without even meaning to

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I love how Sylvester doesn't even pretend to give half a poo poo about the whole thing and is obviously making up most of his lines on the spot.

He's been in a good number of utterly lovely fan films, actually. Bunch of Ian Levine stuff too, of course:

(I'm pretty sure he wore crocs as a part of his costume in this one)

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The only part of Warriors of the Deep I've seen is the bit where Ingrid Pitt karate kicks the Myrka and I'm quite content

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Man, why am I watching Warriors of the Deep instead of rewatching The Curse of Fenric for the hundredth time

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Warriors of the Deep is an interesting one, because every single bit of the world building is marvellous and every single bit of the actual story relies on everyone, the Doctor included, acting like a complete moron to get the next plot point.

"Doctor, we're cut off from the TARDIS and the guards think we're saboteurs!"
"In which case let's ACTUALLY sabotage the base, that'll confuse em"

I'm at the end of the first episode and yep, there's the Doctor trying to prove he isn't a hostile intruder by threatening the base with a nuclear explosion.

EDIT: *The Doctor drops three feet into a shallow pool of water*
Tegan: Oh we should probably help hi-
Turlough: NO HE'S DROWNED THERE'S NOTHING WE CAN DO WE'RE ON OUR OWN NOW HE'S DEAD MEAT TEGAN

EDIT2: The Silurians seem to have a computer interface that consists entirely of just two buttons, and you always have to first press the button on the left and then very carefully push the button on the right, and this sequence may accomplish anything from opening a door to reviving a squad of comatose Sea Devils

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 30, 2017

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

toanoradian posted:

I've heard Colin Baker audios (my favourite is the 6/Jago&Litefoot crossovers), but didn't know about his comics. What are the recommended ones?

Steve Parkhouse's DWM run is the most classic one, the Voyager stories being often singled out as a high point. Grant Morrison wrote a few Sixth Doctor stories as well - the most famous one of those is probably The World Shapers, which has Six teaming up with Jamie against the Voord and the Cybermen (it was referenced in the Series 10 finale, too).

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Yep! Capaldi mentions Marinus as one of the planets where Cybermen have evolved. Although they did kind of mess up the reference because he also mentions Planet 14 from The Invasion as a separate place of origin for the Cybermen, while The World Shapers goes out of its way to explain that Planet 14 is just another name for Marinus.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I feel like the ways the Tenth Doctor has been referenced in the Moffat era have addressed his character flaws a bit, and he's come off much more sympathetic to me as a result. He's obviously more self-centered than pretty much any other Doctor, but when he was incumbent it felt like we were not supposed to notice that most of the time and it felt like an elephant in the room the show didn't adequately discuss. Now that he's an elder statesman instead, we've had things like him doing the Oncoming Storm monologue to a rabbit in Day of the Doctor and Eleven admitting he used to have "a bit of an ego problem" in Time of the Doctor. Since Tennant left they have been able to have a bit of fun at his Doctor's expense (which Tennant was never against anyway, I don't think), and that's making his character a lot more likable in retrospect, as well.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The Unfixed Thing is a really good first episode but The Device of Time is a pretty underwhelming conclusion to that two-parter

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

If they can get Tom and Lalla on board it might be interesting, but I still wish they had done something like Evil of the Daleks (or The Massacre!) instead. Shada honestly isn't that good to begin with, and we've already got a dozen different versions of it anyway.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Series 11 should bring back Keff's best arrangement of the theme.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Bicyclops posted:

Speaking of would-be companions who died, I always sort of wondered if that woman from Big Brother (of the future) was written in some early draft of the season in which Billie Piper rather than Christopher Eccleston took a walk at the end of the season, or if Russell Davies just wrote her in to try to make people really feel the tragedy. I wonder if The Writer's Tale goes into any more detail about her.

I can't remember if RTD has actually said this or if it's just been hypothesized in this thread, but The Parting of the Ways is written in a way that would have allowed them to lead into pretty much any possible Doctor/companion pairing for the next season with very small changes depending on which actors wanted to stay on. If both Billie Piper and Christopher Eccleston wanted to stay, the Doctor and Rose could both have easily survived; if Piper wanted to leave, the vortex energy could have killed Rose and the Doctor would have gone off with Lynda; or, as ended up happening, if just Eccleston wanted to leave, he could save Rose by absorbing the vortex energy and then regenerate. It seems pretty clear that who were and were not staying on for Season 2 was still up in the air as the scripts were being written, and the finale is constructed to be pretty malleable to accommodate for that.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Lampsacus posted:

Hey! I'm getting back into heavy reading. Beats heavy internet use right? Has anybody any Doctor Who novels they would recommend?
Thanks!

The_Doctor lists a lot of the best ones above. I'm seconding the recommendation for Alien Bodies, which is one of my favourite Doctor Who stories in any medium. Other good ones off the top of my head include The Witch Hunters (no-aliens historical story set around the Salem witch trials) and The Time Travellers (alternate timeline fuckery in modern London), which both happen to be First Doctor PDAs.

Strong non-recommendation for the first NA, Timewyrm: Genesys by John Peel. I was stuck in a damp tent for a week once and that loving thing was the only book I had with me and it turned out to be a pretty lovely week.

Burkion posted:

We can discuss the weird fandom obsession with Ace and wanting to gently caress her with their self inserts do not steal in OFFICIAL DOCTOR WHO MEDIA

Because that's a part of the fandom I had no idea existed and do not understand. Just completely missed the boat on that. I am morbidly curious how mortified the actress is about it though considering it was part of Officially Licensed Novels.

Sophie Aldred wrote the foreword to Timewyrm: Genesys and talks up John Peel for making Mesopotamian history fun and exciting, as exemplified in the novel itself by having Ace be groped by Gilgamesh

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The back of Rob Shearman's head spotted at Worldcon, I assume the front is here as well but I can't say for certain.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Who's to say Gomez was the first female Master, anyway? She says Simm will regenerate into a woman, but it might not be her.

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know how Chibnall's said he was always keen for Thirteen to be played by a woman? Has he said whether Whittaker was the only choice or whether he asked anybody else?

He's said Whittaker was his "first choice", but who knows whether or not that was the case from the get-go or if other people were also in the running at some point.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Sorry but it's canon

marktheando posted:

I watched Paradise Towers last night. I didn't remember much of it, probably because I always confuse it with The Happiness Patrol.

For a Mel story, it's not bad. I liked when the head nazi guy was possessed. And I liked how poo poo the robots were.

Paradise Towers is great. I can't remember which Kangs are the best, though?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Bicyclops posted:

I'm not in love with the way the Doctor (by way of Ian) incites the Thals to rebellion. First of all, they're doing it for selfish reasons (they need the fluid link back). Secondly, as far as the Thals know, the Daleks can't leave their city and don't have Neutron Bombs, so their suggestion that they move on isn't totally unreasonable, nor would something that involves controlled raids to get access to some of the food resources until they could find a way to solve their agriculture problem. The Doctor's only solution is a full-on war, against people with superior technology, on a planet that is literally a nuclear wasteland because of the very war he's re-inciting.

This is my biggest problem with The Daleks. The Thals' non-aggression is presented as either naivety at best or cowardice at worst. The Doctor and Ian basically make chicken noises at them until they give up and agree to launch a guerrilla war against the genocidal robot monsters, and all other options are pooh-poohed as childish and ridiculous. That attitude is probably the source of a lot of the self-serious gun-toting of many other Nation stories, and I think that's one of the reasons a lot of them feel so dated now.

It's also something that Survival 25 years later thoroughly repudiates with its "If we fight like animals, we die like animals!". Just like it has the Doctor pick up a rock and not smash it in a caveman's the Master's face. I've said it before, but Survival works so well as a cap to the classic series it's a small miracle it wasn't even supposed to be the finale.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
What's all this about Castrovalva not being good

Cerv posted:

Actually it is good

Well that's what I thought!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Bicyclops posted:

These are really cool. I want more Doctor Who design by telephone.

I have a soft spot for the covers of the two Finnish Pertwee novelisation translations from the mid-70s, The Auton Invasion and The Cave Monsters:

The translations themselves are really interesting, too - no one had seen a second of DW this side of the Baltic Sea at that point, and the books are translated as one-and-done children's books with no knowledge of the show at large. And those Silurian designs are still better than the New Series ones.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 8, 2017

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Bicyclops posted:

Genesis of the Daleks is one of the best Daleks stories.

It obviously is, but the Doctor's line at the end rubs me the wrong way. "Something good probably came out of it too, I guess" is kind of a lame excuse for letting a race of genocidal cyber-Nazis launch a generations-long galactic reign of terror, especially when that wasn't the point debated in the "Do I have the right?" scene. The Doctor let the Daleks live because he thought genocide is wrong, end of*, not because allowing them exterminate half the galaxy might make the other half band together out of fear, and trying to explain that decision away as the latter undermines the moral conflict at the heart of that scene and the whole serial. You made a principled decision, Doctor, so own up to it. :colbert:

(and even then the Thals blew the whole quandary up before he had the chance to act on his decision)

EDIT: *except Vervoids

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
It's been a while since I read The Time Travellers, but I remember it being very good. It's a First Doctor PDA where the Doctor, Ian and Barbara arrive in future London where WOTAN and the War Machines have taken over, since the Doctor has not yet travelled to 1960s London to defeat WOTAN, and time travel experiments are conducted and different versions of characters from multiple timelines appear and all sorts of cool time stuff happen.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Fil5000 posted:

That's not even him though, it's Stephen O'Donnell.

Aww man you're right, I made that gif a hundred years ago and I totally thought it was Levine.

Davros1 posted:

I remember him criticizing them for just doing audio, and not animation. I get that he was jealous that Jason Haigh Ellery was able to secure the license to make Who. Ian seems to be the kind of guy who would expect that kind of thing to just be given to him

It's mainly jealousy and entitlement, yeah. He's also said that he doesn't consider BF canon because their stories aren't based on scripts commissioned by the BBC production offices, unlike his own stick figure renditions of scribblings found on Eric Saward's used napkins.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

I hadn’t thought about it, but I guess since we’re in the back half of November I really ought to...

Do people want one?

Totally, I have disposable income for the first time in years and I'd love to splash some of that on obscure gifts for internet strangers.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
https://twitter.com/grahamkw/status/935527337898233856

Personally I think the show started to go downhill when they shifted focus from the policeman walking through fog to that weird shack in the junkyard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Cerv posted:

does anyone know about this jamie goss they've gotten to novelise Dr Who And The Krikkitmen for xmas? as far as i can see his career is entirely doctor who books which isn't a promising sign

That's a phenomenally easy job though, all you have to do is take the third Hitchhiker book and search and replace "Ford" with "Doctor"

• Locked thread