Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I bring Sutekh's gift of adorable scamp grandpa Bill Hartnell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

There's still the odd narration which I wish they'd give up though.

I like the narration in the Early Adventures line. Makes it feel like one of the audio releases of the lost episodes where they have Peter Purves or Anneke Wills or whoever do linking narration over the off-screen soundtrack recording.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wolfechu posted:

I don't know the reason for all those missing stories on britbox in the OP, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Terry Nation's estate being arsey?

More or less. Or not necessarily arsey, but at the very least incurring extra expense. When the ABC here did a complete run through of the classic series for the 40th anniversary they skipped over all of the Dalek stories because those required separate negotiations with the Nation estate so they just said "gently caress it."

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Sam Kisgart and friends return on the cover for New Adventures of Benny 4, a release I am incredibly excited for.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Has Matt Smith had a wax figure made for the promo shots?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I am ready for the announcement of Hayley Atwell as the next Doctor with Aiden Turner as her sexy assistant

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Comedy option: John Cena. His time is now :v:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wheat Loaf posted:

I understand Alexander Vlahos really wants to play the Doctor and has in fact decided how he would play the role (like Paul McGann did, basically).

I was going to say I'd be very okay with this but then I realised I'm a year older than him and I don't think I'm ready to deal with being older than an incumbent Doctor

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
You know we're in a good place as fans when this is what our "hiatus" looks like

Even as someone that only buys the boxsets day one there's at least one release per month I want there (and a packed November between Ten, Unit, and Eight)

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm finally listening to the third UNIT set and I'm not sure if "we will give a voice to Britain's Silent majority" is better or worse than the "Master race" line from End of Time

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I am excited by the choice for the new Dr. Who

I also continue to be baffled by what socially conservative fans are actually getting out of the show

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Just call them sexists. "Socially conservative" sounds way too nice haha.

Well I mean,they can also be homophobes (see: all the whinging about Bill's sexuality being shoved done throats because we happened to see her fancy one girl and then have a couple of dates with another despite relationship stuff having been constantly present with Rose, Amy, Clara, having met Donna on her friggin wedding day) so that just seemed like a good way to group them (and any racists that would have been upset by a PoC Doctor) together

Dabir posted:

It's not just sexism though, like think about any right-wing perspective on a social issue, or even a few economic ones, and the Doctor has probably come out against it.

Basically this, yeah

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Hopper posted:

And as such I have been "trained" to expect the Dr. to be a man, simply because that is what is always the case. Or was, I should say.

I.e. an existing constant that is deeply rooted in the shows fundamental characteristics suddenly gets changed.
And humans don't like change in what they are used to in many cases.

The show's fundamental characteristic is that the Doctor changes, not that he has a dick. He's been thirteen vastly different people over its fifty years already. Change is in the DNA of the show

Gaz-L posted:

I just really, really hope they don't make Jodie's pink.

Purple would be nice

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

Hell, you could argue that Warriors' Gate is basically Romana having an adventure as the female Doctor. That one was made in 1981!

When the show was on hiatus in the middle of C. Bakes' run they consulted Sydney Newman on what he thought they could do to get things back on track. He suggested a female Doctor.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

vegetables posted:

Trevor Baxter has died. :(

Corks :( You could always hear the joy between him and Chris Benjamin in their plays.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Senor Tron posted:

10 + Donna, 11 + Amy, 12 + Bill, 13 + her companion(s) would be awesome.

Forgetting someone?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

DoctorWhat posted:

<- The only Doctor Nude that should ever be posted is this one over here.

Counterpoint

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Little disappointed to see that Peter Purves had described the idea of a female Doctor as "horrifying." Steven is one of my favorites and I love his readings with Big Finish. Old dudes are gonna old dude though, I guess.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

I wonder what Mad Larry thinks of all this...

https://twitter.com/Lawrence_Miles/status/887038694112329728

Well, he's actually all for a female Doctor! Too bad Russell T Davies Stephen Moffat Chris Chibnall Anyone Except Lawrence Miles will ruin it if they are the showrunner! :v:

I mean he isn't actually saying anything most people in the thread haven't already said since it was announced that Chibbers would be taking over. It's one of his more reasonable takes, not any of his weird obsessive Moffat/Gaiman vitriol.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bolingbroke posted:

He genuinely does think the show jumped the shark when it went into colour.

The switch to colour did coincide with the show completely eschewing its original format for a few years so if you were going to say it jumped the shark at any point that's probably a fair one.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Doctor Who RPG and a bunch of sourcebooks and stuff for It are in the new Humble book bundle.

I don't really play these kinds of things (my brother and I tried out the DBZ game for a little bit in high school I think but it was just the two of us and neither of us really had much idea what we were doing so it went about as well as you'd expect) but I really enjoy flicking through game books based on properties I like (the aforementioned DBZ, I bought a bunch of the old Paladium Robotech books off eBay a few years back when I was in a real Macross/Robotech phase) so I'm pretty interested just on that front.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Yeah that bundle is absolutely worth it for the Doctor sourcebooks alone.

Yeah, I went ahead and got it and skimmed through the First Doctor sourcebook on my phone while waiting for a doctor's appointment that was running behind. Exactly the kind of thing I like from these sorts of things.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I feel like the weakness of Big Finish's War Doctor sets is more to do with how few stories actually play around with the temporal fuckery you'd expect from a Time War than anything to do with their characterisation of the Doctor.

When we first properly meet the War Doctor in Day of the Doctor it's at his lowest point when he's feed up with everything and ready to blow it all up and... he's just a cantankerous old grump, not any sort of vile monster. The whole point is that actually, yeah, he was still more or less just the Doctor, everything else is an image built up around self loathing and guilt from what the later Doctors think they did.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

toanoradian posted:

What's in them, exactly? I'm not familiar with tabletop RPGs.

They have descriptions of the Doctor, companions, TARDIS, general style/themes of an era and then episode synopsis, with ways those things can be used within the game throughout. A few pages from the First Doc one:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

toanoradian posted:

Huh, he referred to the main character as both "Dr Who" and "the Doctor". When in the classic series does the show start to refer to him as "The Doctor"? I remember credits from a black-and-white episode (likely Troughton's, but I can't remember which) that had "Dr Who" as the character's name.

The actors were credited as "Dr./Doctor Who" all the way until Davison took the role, but in-story he's always just called "the Doctor" as in the new series (except for one Hartnell story where the villain robot calls him Dr. Who).

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Carbon dioxide posted:

The ever so slight differences between the outside of 12's and 1's TARDIS are very interesting. I suppose it's an accurate representation of the police box model Hartnell used?

It's the style of Tardis that was used from Tenth Planet on, yeah.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The timing not working for it to be the Brig almost makes me want it to be him just for the new wrinkle it'd add to UNIT dating

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Plavski posted:

Kinda confusing when supposedly Clara tells him to take the Type 40 cos he'll have more fun, when we get this:

Well I mean the idea is that the Claras are "fixing" things after the Great Intelligence has screwed around in the Doctor's timeline so basically that stuff is true and how it really happened in the Doctor's life, but then the GI did something to change it and Time Lord Clara had to just kind of nudge him back in the right direction.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I liked Sound of Drums popping up because I really liked that Rogue Traders album when it first came out and it was neat having an Australian group's music playing in the show.

Also Classic Doctors, New Monsters 2 is up for download. I'm pretty excited for it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Conversely, we're told Vastra is the world's greatest detective and knows the Doctor well enough to know what he's going to do, think, react, etc. But we're just supposed to jump on board in the middle of all that without being shown any of it, and just take it at face value that here's this brilliant long time friend we've never seen before. She's Poochie.

They definitely overdo this stuff with Vastra but I like the core idea of her and Strax where the Doctor has these friends that we don't meet until later into those friendships because, well, of course he does. He's very old and has all these off screen adventures, it makes sense that we'll meet some of these friends later into their relationships with him

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wheat Loaf posted:

(More seriously, I think it's sort of amusing that for all the grousing and whinging about Whittaker being cast, I don't think I saw a single moaner complaining that Marshall was robbed or that it should have been Kris Marshall.)

Stay away from Outpost Gallifrey if you want to keep it that way.

Of course, "stay away from Outpost Gallifrey" is pretty good advice generally

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

Rings of Akhaten is great :colbert: )

corn in the bible posted:

donna was better than clara

This is like saying that Lucie is better than Grace. Like, duh.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

What about K9? :mad:

K9 doesn't call him "Doctor master" for nothing :heysexy:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

FreezingInferno posted:

Going back a bit, but I still am amazed that in the DWM 50th anniversary poll ranking every story, Rings Of Akhaten managed to rank as the 12th worst. Of Classic AND New Who. I quite like that story and the frosty reception saddens me.

The same polls rank Space Museum similarly low despite it being a great showcase both of Vicki's difference to Susan (she's incredibly proactive in pushing the boys to revolution) and Hartnell's cheeky, mischievous side (instead of just the cantankerous grandpa people are keen to portrait him as) so it's best to just discard them

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Pesky Splinter posted:

Incidently, this is one of the audios the BBC put their foot down on being too blatently unofficial Doctor Who audios.
So BBV changed the names from the "Professor" and "Ace", to the "Dominie" and "Alice", and carried on as normal :downs:

And then there's the video series with C. Bakes and Nicola Bryant as The Stranger and Miss Brown where this also happens :gonk:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

Oh man, that is fantastic news, if only because it means somebody is looking into making some of the CD-only ones available digitally (I actually had to buy the disc for Her Final Flight). I'm sure it's kind of a labyrinth for them to even figure out who to ask if they're allowed to. Glad to see they're making an effort. :)

Yeah, as a digital-only listener it's nice when things can make the jump from CD-only to the megabyte modem.

The one I'm really hanging out for is the first series CC story with Three and the Cybermen.

CommonShore posted:

Ok! I'll throw some of the ideas I had out there, too!

Earlier, I said "like Susan," but that was just really a wider point of reference. My first thought was that they were going to give her something feminine but not prissy or sexy.

The Audrey Hepburn casual look a) evokes the early series via Susan, b) is feminine but not erotic, c) is a reasonably practical style for an adventurer. If some iconic bit were added to it a la Tom's Scarf I think it would be a great costume with lots of room for minor variations between episodes and seasons.

I would be incredibly down with something like this.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think I read somewhere (please correct me if I'm wrong), that they wanted to downplay the idea

When they brought her back for Three and a Half Doctors and a Bloke in a Wig they didn't want her to call him "grandfather." Carole Ann Ford rightfully told them to shove it and insisted on it being put back in.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

docbeard posted:

...I'd put World Enough And Time/The Doctor Falls above Heaven Sent, honestly. (And I liked Clara so there.)

WEaT/TDF hold together better as a whole but Heaven Sent might possibly be a stronger individual episode than either of them. So they both win in different categories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

• Locked thread