Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Decided to listen to the Unbound story Masters of War, and after the first episode I'm just not getting why it's so popular. Maybe it picks up in Part 2, but if that's the case then they could have condensed the incredibly dull Part 1 into maybe a 15 minute opening.

Nothing about it, apart from David Warner's Doctor, feels like it couldn't have been done with minimal change in a main range Dalek story. Probably doesn't help that Daleks and Thals on Skaro is so incredibly boring compared to the Master in Hong Kong during the handover from the first story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

If we're getting into a Capaldi v Smith thing I'd like to point out as I always do that there's only one other Doctor that I like less than 11.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

After The War posted:

I was once like you... when I was on Part 1. Keep going. :allears:

And speaking of Sympathy for the Devil, does he only use Kisgart for his dead-on Ainley impression?

Just finished Part 2 and I still don't get the popularity. The villains are a bit too similar to the Movellans and it never ends up with an interesting "What if?" concept like the rest of the Unbound series. "Good" Daleks as a concept has been done a million times before by the time this was released, and it's not any more unique almost 10 years later. Probably me least favourite Eddie Robson script I've heard so far.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It looks like he's standing next to someone that's wearing his skin.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Why are we spoiler tagging Human Resources but not The Harvest?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Because the cliffhanger/twist is loving fantastic and the more people who go into it not knowing what is coming, the better.

That's equally true for The Harvest - which happens not to spoil the story on the cover! Like, unless you get handed Human Resources part 1 on CD, or use Adblock to turn off the covers when buying it, I'm not sure how easy keeping it unspoiled is.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

After The War posted:

There are certain audios we just do that for, no matter how old. Looooooorrd Niiiiiiiimooonnnnnn in Seasons of Fear, for instance.

The point I'm trying to make though is that The Harvest works quite well without knowing the villains too. Seasons of Fear manages to hide it at least but I've not got a clue why anyone would care about the Nimon.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Lampsacus posted:

Does anybody enjoy any DW podcasts apart from Radio Free Skaro and Verity?

"I Hate Doctor Who" is a podcast about trying to get non-fans to watch the show, but it only has 2 episodes and hasn't updated since last year.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Gareth Roberts is a vile oval office and has been for quite some time and I'm happy everyone knows this now.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

Virtually every season of Doctor Who has a simulated reality of some kind, and the concept of "games" is broad enough that the Toymaker doesn't need to be pigeonholed. He has a hell of a lot more going for him than the Zygons.

In their favour, Zygons look cool and were only a racist caricature one of three times!

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

That's one of two things he does (the other is trying to break the Doctor's TARDIS, only to find out that the Doctor has broken his instead, thus concluding with an "I'll get youuuuuuuuuu!").

It's a good gimmick and I'd actually like to see it come back every once in awhile, but maybe like... once every two Doctors.

You say that like he's made any appearances since 1966

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

2house2fly posted:

He's the new man in charge of Doctor Who, so you're supposed to follow tradition and hate him for ruining the show

No, you’ve got it wrong - we’re supposed to love him right up until the point where he’s settled in as showrunner, then by that time the show will be ruined forever, again.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

I know the JNT era has been sort of redeemed in a lot of circles, but goddamn is The Leisure Hive very immediately worse than The Horns of the Nimon, and I don't even like the latter very much. The hair and makeup by Crayola, the dread seriousness of everything, the soundtrack that sounds like it was cribbed from bits of The Sea Devils, the embarrassing opening, the question marks. I just want Duggan to show up and start punching everyone.

The Leisure Hive is genuinely one of my favourite ever Doctor Who stories. I absolutely adore the soundtrack and the direction, and the story involves some very interesting concepts. Full Circle, The Keeper of Traken and Logopolis are all pretty great too. Season 18 is just the best.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You fail to mention the best serial from series 18, this is a deliberate affront

I've never watched Meglos, so I decided not to comment on it.

(Seriously though, I didn't like Warrior's Gate as much as everyone else seems to. It has some excellent moments, like the Alien style tracking shot at the start and the cliffhanger to Part 3, but the overall story just didn't grab me.)

Bicyclops posted:

The soundtrack, even in State of Decay, is not so much a soundtrack as it is a distracting assault on the ears.

It doesn't matter what you say, I'll always love the low-budget Vangelis style they went for in The Leisure Hive. It's classic!

Bicyclops posted:

Full Circle does come close to being good, I think. Its major problem is that the swamp creatures are not interesting and the direction is extremely bad regarding them. The number of times that they threateningly wave weapons at someone and do a sort of theatrical dance makes the whole thing feel like a theater movement class that allows freshmen in. Lalla Ward in particular always seems to have a half-grin on her face, like she can't quite believe what she's doing. The rubber suits are somehow even more embarrassing than the giant muppet outfits of Eden and Nimon, if only because they look like cheap Halloween costumes. It would have been a way better story if they'd ignored "the mist" and the spiders and the swamp critters and focused more on the core idea of eternal repairs to a spaceship that nobody knows how to drive.

The marshmen have their flaws, but the cliffhanger where they rise from the water is one of the best ever.

As an addendum, I would like to note that I recently watched and enjoyed The Twin Dilemma. To paraphrase Christian Grey, my tastes are... unconventional.

EDIT: Just remembered my favourite thing about State of Decay - there's at least one scene where the King and Queen vampires sort of dance around each other when moving around. I don't remember if they do it more than once but it looks great - the directors for Season 18 definitely cared a lot more than for most other seasons.

EDIT 2: Another good thing about The Leisure Hive: the only decent old man makeup in Doctor Who ever.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 10, 2017

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Davros1 posted:

So apparently Penguin Books are bringing back Who Novelizations, ala Target books.

I get the nostalgia appeal but... what’s the point now that home media is so readily available? I guess people like novelisations but I just don’t get it.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

jivjov posted:

Speaking of different plot threads; nothing ever came of Sarah Jane's exploding diamond necklace, or the Osterhagen project.

Don't think much more resolution can come from "doomsday weapon designed to blow up the world", to be honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I keep starting some version of Shada and never finishing it so maybe this new adaptation will be the one

I have the same problem whenever I try to watch the McGann webcast, and I’m happy to say the new version is miles better. Obviously from sheer quality of animation it’s superior, but on top of that they’ve manage to preserve the original performances. Douglas Adams dialogue sounds much more natural coming from Tom Baker than from McGann. And Christopher Neame is wonderfully camp as Skagra, especially compared to the quite dull actor that Big Finish used.

The biggest problem is the omnibus format. It works fine, mostly, but 6 parts is a bit too long to watch in one sitting without getting at least a little bored. All the original cliffhanger moments are still there so I’m sure a fan will make a 6-part edit one day.

• Locked thread