Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I remember when I first got into Doctor Who

First episode I watched was Day of the Doctor and I kept getting Eleven and Ten confused for one another
Then I jumped back to Series One, watched Rose, then was stumped as to why the Doctor was hell-bent for leather and going bald
After that, I watched the series in order and fell in love with each Doctor every time he changed

Once I was caught up with NuWho, I used the hiatus last year to watch some more Classic Who
One and Two were absolutely delightful; I honestly haven't seen much of Pertwee (which means little exposure to the Classic Master, I know) and I have seen a huge chunk of Four, enough to see why people love him and eventually got tired and wanted something new

Haven't seen much of Five, but I did see Trial of a Time Lord for Six and Survival for Seven

I've seen most of the Dalek stories (including the reconstruction of Power of the Daleks, which was splendid), except for Evil of the Daleks, which I hope to remedy in the following months

As for Big Finish Audio, I've only listened to a few of them and wasn't too interested
Powered through the Titan Comics for Ten, Eleven and Twelve and a few other series, loved them to bits

And yes, I saw the TV Movie and enjoyed it

All-in-all, Doctor Who is a series I'd heartily recommend to any science-fiction fans and I'm now kinda sad I didn't go into the Doctor Who exhibit at a museum as a child, because it'd have probably blown my mind

Oh well~

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lampsacus posted:

^ you wouldn't have quite appreciated the same way you do now. But then again, what's a life lived forward?
That is correct

Plus, when you're older, you have more time to sit and think about Doctor Who, whereas a child would likely forget about it and zoom off to the next shiny thing

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jon Pertwee was born 98 years ago today

Man, that feels odd

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

He was in naval intelligence with Ian Fleming, Christopher Lee et al. during the war, wasn't he? I think there was an article about it when a bunch of files were declassified a couple of years ago; he reported directly to Churchill and Attlee, which is pretty cool.
Pertwee, Lee and Cushing were all in "The House That Dripped Blood"

But one has to wonder how a film with their later performances would've been

The Doctor vs Grand Moff Tarkin and Ansem the Wise, or thereabouts

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Casual Calapdi is a thing of beauty

He's such an expressive man

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Series 8, 9 and 10 in the Center

A nice contrast between his three Series' selves

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Oh, now that's lovely

Gimme a Comic or Audio with these five someday

I think we're due for another Five Doctors, no?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Astroman posted:

The Five Doctors II: Five Harder
Does "The Fivening" sound too presumptuous?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Astroman posted:

David Bradley, duh!
Screw it, Bradley plays everyone

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

First time I saw Tennant was in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Didn't know who he was and didn't pay much attention to those scenes

Also had a dream where the Eleventh Doctor, Missy and Rory were living together and for some reason, the Doctor had "a jar filled with the dried blood of an entire village" in his cupboard and Rory's arm had dropped off at some point and conquered the Horsehead Nebula; compared to them, Missy was the sanest one there

Was quite bizarre and I do believe I've picked up Hiatus Fever

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

hangedman1984 posted:

Rory's arm conquered the Horsehead Nebula?
Alas, the dream failed to elaborate on that; Rory was quite cross about it

The dream never said, but I do believe it was his Auton Duplicate

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

docbeard posted:

I could buy pretty much all of this as a mid-late Season 6 plotline, to be honest.
Replacing the Lodger or Closing Time, perhaps?

Wait, no; that means getting rid of STORMAGEDDON, DARK LORD OF ALL, so that's out

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 10, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Did I hear mention of Capaldi's hair?

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 11, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Astroman posted:

From the same twitter:

https://twitter.com/AdamOrford1/status/856660207103082497

Well to be technical, it's David Bradley as Peter Capaldi as Jon Pertwee. :allears:
It's One cosplaying as Twelve posing as Three

Now we just need Six's coat, Ten's sonic, Four's scarf, Five's hat, Two's bowtie, Eight's wig, and Eleven's ham

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTuQPrANJho

I really hope this means we'll be getting a Series 9-10 OST

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

As long as the actors work well together, their sex means nothing to me
'Course, the writing plays a factor in that and I hope it's on par with Series 10's scripts
A tall order, but I can dream, dammit

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

jivjov posted:

Man, maybe they really are trying to keep it secret til Christmas?
I wonder what threat they're hanging over people's heads to keep it on the down-low

"If it's leaked, we'll replace every episode of Series 11 with Love and Monsters, The Twin Dilemma, Cyberwoman, and the Star Wars Holiday Special."
"Wait, what was that last one?"
"YOU HEARD ME."

Or

"We'll make Peter Harness the showrunner."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

McDragon posted:

That or he and the Master go into a room off-screen, murder each other, regenerate, and then come back out and it doesn't tell us which is which.
Then we find out at the end of the Series is that there was a Zygon in that room...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That awkward moment when the Doctor's been driving like a woman for over 2300 years...

We've been prepared for this moment ever since 1967 and it's our own fault for not listening

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I started with Nine and have seen a little of all of them
I just hope the writers understand and write for the Doctor, not a man or woman

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

docbeard posted:

"No sir, *all thirteen*! Wait, no, fourteen...wait..."

"Just...you can stop now."
What we don't see is the thousands of other police boxes flying behind the planet - all we saw were the thirteen that the council saw

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Murderion posted:

Nah, it's because of Twelve wasting all that regeneration energy.

there isn't enough for a penis you see :iamafag:

And given how 12's sonic is as large as Eleven's in its extended form...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

I just really, really hope they don't make Jodie's pink.
https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/880818219140882434

Would red do?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Buml0r posted:

I absolutely interpreted it as that and was about to do a big "oh you".

Instead here's a Capaldi I drew a while back that I might as well put here, apropos of nothing other than my just now remembering it.

I daresay you captured his hair perfectly, as well as his 'stickman' heritage

Ah, that's heartwarming

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nice to see she survived crashing into the moon

Will she be meeting Bill, Heather, Clara and Ashildr along the way?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSWfRzN5t1w

Knockoffs are always good

The Dentist and his Sonic Amiibo, zooming around in the TARGUS - Time And Relative Girth Under Space

Fund it

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

DancingShade posted:

I'm of the opinion everyone needs a really good quality long coat. They're just great to have for appearance & weather.

Jodie Doctor needs to have one that says "classy as gently caress".

The_Doctor posted:

As words, sewn into the lapels, yes.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Bring back the question marks IMO
So a mixture of Seven and Six in terms of outfits then, but with a darker, cooler (blue, green, purple) color scheme

Something for the artists to consider, I suppose

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

I really love those scenes. My favourite is the explanation of the TARDIS chameleon circuit and how it functions because he absolutely sells it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAOne4Bxz1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O3b5yRqZPg
Ahhh, Early Eleven is an absolute doll

Always feels weird seeing the Doctor "fresh" in his Regeneration before he's dragged through the mud

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hm...thinking about it, Capaldi was a good choice to be the "First Doctor" of his second Regeneration cycle
He's great at emoting with his face, much like Hartnell was

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's strange going back and looking at pictures of early Twelve when Capaldi wore his hair short. The longer hair suits him better as the Doctor.

It's surreal, really

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I was going through gifs I'd made of Capaldi's run recently and seeing him with the short hair felt really odd.

His hair by the end of The Doctor Falls was so perfect, and we're only going to get one more episode of it :(
Now we need take the Series 8 episodes and photoshop Series 10 Capaldi's hair onto the Doctor

Then give it a snarky scottish accent and have it provide running commentary for the series

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

When rewatching Series 9, just watch Zygon Inversion - the Recap is more than enough to catch you up on the important bits you need to remember

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCkDXegqjR0

You. Had. ONE. loving. JOB. MOFFAT!

ONE. loving. JOB.

Don't you dare pull another Hell Bent on us

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

marktheando posted:

Did you miss the end of the last episode or something? Bill is already not dead.
By 'pulling a Hell Bent' I mean having a character that had a satisfying ending come back and potentially screw it up, thus dragging the rest of the episode down in the process

Fingers crossed it's a stop-off on his farewell tour and the Doctor doesn't get all hung up on her like Rose or Clara

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

2house2fly posted:

Hell Bent was Clara's ending :confused:
I'd argue it was Face the Raven, but everyone is welcome to their opinions and trying to correct them is a waste of time

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Any even vaguely tenuous excuse to post this gif again:

The man is a physical marvel
Why do I imagine Eleven's ideal wife would be the TARDIS wearing a fez?

Or perhaps...

There we go

Now I wanna see a Siege Mode TARDIS colored red with a tassel instead of the light on top with Eleven's grinning face peeking out of it

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

howe_sam posted:

I remember River's little speech about gay Jewish weddings or whatever being moderately funny. And Rory socking Hitler then shoving him in a cupboard papers over a lot of ills, especially now.
"Well, I was on my way to this gay Gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I suddenly thought "Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish. I think I'll kill the Führer." Who's with me?"

River has her moments, but the bad usually overshadow the good

The closer she is to dying, the better off she feels as a character, meaning The Husbands of River Song and the library two-parter are arguably her best outings

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 25, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Stabbatical posted:

Really, I've got to watch The Doctor's Wife again at some point. Everyone seems to love it but it never clicked with me at the time. Not sure why, honestly. Although it click did with my sister, who happened to see it incidentally, which I found interesting as she's not interested in Doctor Who at all.
The thing about The Doctor's Wife is that makes several previous scenes featuring the TARDIS that much more heartbreaking

Ya know, like when it died crossing universes in Series 2 or the time Davros tried to destroy it in Series 3

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

To be fair, even FOUR minutes is ages.
"What if I get bored, need some books, a television? Anyone for chess? Bring me knitting."

For someone who can calculate thousands of thoughts per millisecond...yeah, I can see why the Doctor has a hard time settling down and retiring
His ADHD dial is somewhere in the eighties at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

That moment where the Doctor catches her hand as she goes to slap him!
The Doctor: You’re always here to me. And I always listen. And I can always see you.
River: Then why didn’t you speak to me?
The Doctor: Because I thought it would hurt too much.
River: I believe I could have coped.
The Doctor: No. I thought it would hurt me. And I was right. {he kisses her} Since nobody else in this room can see you, God knows how that looked. There is a time to live and a time to sleep. You are an echo, River. Like Clara, like all of this. In the end, my fault, I know. But you should have faded by now.
River: It’s hard to leave when you haven’t said goodbye.
The Doctor: Then tell me, because I don’t know. How do I say it?
River: There’s only one way I would accept. If you ever loved me, say it like you’re going to come back.
The Doctor: Well then. See you around, Professor River Song.
River: ‘Til the next time, Doctor.
The Doctor: Don’t wait up.

• Locked thread