Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The Martha season is frontloaded with bad, or, worse, boring episodes. Then halfway through you get Human Nature/Family of Blood, Blink and Utopia and it's great, and then blood started shooting out of my nose and I don't remember what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

docbeard posted:

Well, that's kind of what I meant. I was afraid going in that it was actually going to have the sort of evil jingoistic "refugees are all just terrorists, really" message that people were (and are, I suppose) ascribing to it. And while I don't think it (especially in the first half) handled the subject with much grace, I didn't think it came across that way at all, and I think they were trying quite hard not to.

No, it just said that the right way for the zygons to behave was to hide quietly and act just like REAL people, which is a different sort of problem entirely. The first half at least shows the sort of resentment and anger that that sort of thing is likely to build up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

He never raised his voice. That was the worst thing... the fury of the Time Lord... and then we discovered why. Why this Doctor, who had fought with gods and demons, why he had run away from us and hidden. He was being kind... He wrapped Steven Moffat in a simulation inside of a simulation, in which you cannot breathe or blink. He tricked Peter Harness into a refugee camp in a collapsing galaxy, to be imprisoned there... forever. He still visits Russell T. Davies once a year, every year. I wonder if one day he might be able to forgive him. But there he is, see? He trapped him inside the television. Every television. If you ever see a ridiculous twist on your favorite show and groan, that's him. That's always him. As for me, as for ol' Briggsy, I was suspended in time and the Doctor put me to work voicing the Daleks as their sound editor. We all wanted a Big Finish. So the Doctor made sure we got one.

:golfclap:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Five 2: Sonic Screwdriveroo

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Eccleston and sports eh? I wonder if there is a show he was in that would combine the two? Ahhh here's a show called Hillsborough, that sounds like a laugh!
100 minutes later
:stare:

Could be worse, you could have watched Cracker.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I'm fairly hopeful about for the next season is that the new Doctor won't necessarily have a home base and won't necessarily have to pick his companions up to go on adventures. While the companions' lives outside the Doctor and ability to visit home has been an enjoyable part of the programme since 2005, that's been the case for several seasons now and I wouldn't object if the Doctor just met a new friend and they flew off in the TARDIS and that was more or less that.

I think a home base is as much a cost thing as anything else. Though the TARDIS should really fit the bill there. Then again, in old Who they binned the TARDIS set after Greatest Show in the Galaxy, and I assume they were struggling for budget at that point too.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

With Reggie Yates getting older and Ukweli Roach off working in America, he's one of the guys I'd be keen to see playing Peter Grant if and when that Rivers of London adaptation ever gets a move on.

The problem I've got is having listened to the audio books I can't separate Kobna Holdbrook-Smith from Peter, and he's probably a bit too old.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've no doubt Elba would be very good as James Bond but I think he'd be too similar to Craig.

(Random observation that Craig has been Bond for as long as Roger Moore was and he's managed to get half as many movies out - hardly his fault obviously but an odd thing to think about.)

On the other hand, Craig has managed to avoid having a comedy American sherrif in any of his films so far. Nor has he dressed as a clown to defeat the plans of Steven Berkoff, gone into space or had sex with Grace Jones, so it's a very mixed bag.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cerv posted:

agreed the Craig films are on the whole worse than Moore's

I'm pretty sure I was clear on that.

(That loving sherrif is awful, mind)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cruel Rose posted:

Man, Paper Cuts was great. I've always thought Marc Platt is extremely good at crafting a really good visual in his stories, despite the medium.

The Six/Charley run in general is pretty good. It's got one of my favourite Six moments in when at the end of Patient Zero he just HAS to go back and taunt the Dalek time controller and accidentally prompts it to let the station explode, scattering the viruses and creating the causal loop that started the events in the first place. Because Six CANNOT KEEP HIS MOUTH SHUT.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Hey, the clown thing was actually great. Also, what's wrong with having sex with Grace Jones? Uh, other than the age gap, but that's not even the worst sex age gap in that movie.

Those things were all fun things about the Moore era, the only one that was negative was the sherrif.

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's (part of) why he quit - he was filming A View To A Kill discovered he wasn't just older than the Bond girl; he was older than the Bond girl's mother (the other reason he quit was that he though the movies were getting too violent - he's supposed to have really, really hated the scene where Christopher Walken machine guns a bunch of people while cackling insanely).

Have actually been watching The Saint lately and it's not hard at all to see why Roger Moore was apparently on their radar to succeed Connery throughout the 1960s.

I was actually a bit surprised to find myself deciding that Moore played a fairly decent Holmes in Sherlock Holmes In New York City (co-starring Patrick Macnee as Watson).

Wasn't it even more specific than that and he'd actually dated or played opposite Tanya Roberts' mother?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Wasn't this a lost Six/Peri episode?

Truly, it was something for the dads.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

Turns out the monster in the premiere is... a glass shark.

Cyberman comin' for you, fat kid.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

If we're counting TV Star, then doesn't Pierce Brosnan qualify?

Yeah, especially considering the Remington Steel producers extended his contract because they didn't want to lose him to Bond.

Also Dalton might not have been a superstar but he was absolutely a known quantity when he was cast. Dude had been acting for nearly twenty years at that point and already turned the role down once.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I hope there's going to be some funny meltdowns about this because people going "political correctness hurrr" and "sjw!" is going to get old super fast.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Tavarin posted:

Maybe in a fit of rage he'll finally release any missing episodes he's been hoarding.

As if he'd hoard anything instead of using it to prove he is top number one A1 best at the liking doctor who hobby.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/886622998106562561

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

Doctor in distress! Let's not answer his SOS.

Oh god he's going to do a mysogenistic charity single. With exactly as many famous people involved as Doctor in distress had.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Do we know how long Time Lady menstrual cycles last? They live a long time, what if they last a long time? What if we end up with an entire season where she's on her time period and it's nothing but 12 episodes of her sitting on the couch in the Tardis, eating ice cream, and watching The Real Housewives of Gallifrey?

No menstrual cycle. Let me tell you about Looms.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

marktheando posted:

I'm not really sure what to make of the reactions, it's hard to tell what the actual majority opinion is among all the internet hyperbole. Most of the comments online don't sound like they are from people who actually watch the programme.

I will say that she was great in Broadchurch series 1, and I don't remember her from attack the bloc. And it's a weird, but pleasant feeling, fancying the Doctor.

Maybe that's why Levine is so angry, he's been denied his TARDIS gently caress fantasy now the Doctor is a lady.

Levine is angry because he gets no say in how Doctor Who is made these days and because people aren't constantly praising him for his contributions to the show. He doesn't really need specific things to get angry, he's just constantly enraged that loving K9 and Company never went to series, that no one wanted his Shada animation, and that no one bought Doctor in Distress. Hopefully he won't watch the show any more and then we'll never hear from him again.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is the Mail Online rather than the Daily Mail newspaper. Don't mistake me; they have the same basic values in terms of their editorial stance (I think Dacre - who to my mind is the real villain more so than Rupert Murdoch; Murdoch owns the paper but that's it; Rupert Murdoch also owns the Times and they remain respectable in the main - has the website as part of his remit as well) except the Mail Online is about a million times trashier.

The Mail Online is the most popular news website in the world, not because it has quality coverage or reporting (it doesn't) or even because people necessarily agree with its spin (it wouldn't be on every screen in my office every time you turn around if it was) but because it has the best celebrity photos. Its go-to caption isn't "BAN THIS SICK FILTH", it's "shows off her toned figure in new bikini shots".

It's what you'd get if the Daily Mail newspaper and the Sun did the fusion dance.

I think it's difficult to say which of the two is worse. Dacre hates foreigners and black people and so prints what he prints, Murdoch knows that hating foreigners and black people sells papers so that's what he prints. The Times remains respectable because Murdoch wants to be able to have his cake and eat it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Good: I now have a complete McCoy run on DVD :woop:
Insane: I'm three DVDs away from a complete T.Baker run :shepface:

Thanks to Brexit tanking the pound, this trip has been extremely cheap. So of course, I did the logical thing and bought 19 classic DVDS.

Now bury Time and the Rani where no one will ever find it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

DancingShade posted:

Would pay to see Jane Bond.

They should get Helen Mirren circa the early 90s to play her. We just need a time machine.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Did you ever see Red? (not the McCoy audio)

I did, as I'm a Warren Ellis fanboy. It was pretty good, she was great. The only reason I said Prime Suspect era Mirren instead of current is how much running around and getting repeatedly punched and exploded the Bond role generally involves. I mean Roger Moore was 57/58 for A View To A Kill and he absolutely couldn't handle that side of the role by then. Mirren's about the same age as Timothy Dalton, so her at the same sort of age as Dalton would be perfect.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like "Jane Bond" wouldn't be "James Bond" in any event, if that makes sense. She would be a "female version of" James Bond. It is different from the Doctor because the character played by Jodie Whittaker is the same character that has been played by Peter Capaldi and Matt Smith and David Tenannt etc.

They would have to really commit to it and make sure they call the character "James Bond" regardless of who plays them. You know, they couldn't be equivocal about it by calling them "Jane Bond" because I feel like that would diminish what they're trying to do.

Prime Suspect era Helen Mirren would be fun as such a character, though.

I mean, if Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Bronson and Craig can all be Bond, there's really no reason you couldn't write a female character as Bond. As long as they're a ruthless, self destructive drunk with commitment issues and excellent aim, it's Bond. Honestly, I think Mirren would be a more Bond like Bond than Moore was.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I always got the feeling that while the Doctor's very inspiring to people they directly interact, with they've gotta be this terrifying, unknowable and suspicious figure to the people just outside of that, and Swinton would be an amazing Doctor for that.

They sort of tried this in the audio "The Sandman" - it didn't really work but I don't know that it was the fault of the concept. Early Big Finish had some huge swings in quality and this one was sadly one of the downswings.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

From early 1974 (when Death to the Daleks aired)

E: There was an interview where Capaldi was asked about which villains he'd like to have on the show and most of his choices were from Pertwee's era (along with the Chumblies, which is the kind of deep cut that puts him as hot favourite for "which actor is the biggest fan").

The grin on his face when he says "the chumblies" is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtkWPaTs4A4&t=385s

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cruel Rose posted:

EDIT: Vincent and the Doctor is my favourite New Who story and maybe my favourite TV story of Who overall? It's tied with Keys of Marinus because I'm a lunatic.

It's been a while so I'm not sure how much truth there is to this, but I recall someone saying that Paper Cuts was written/supposed to take place before Patient Zero, and thus had to have last minute adjustments. It's still messy either way.

also yeah shove brewster in the toilet where he belongs

Is it Brewster that's the problem or the stories he's in? Because the only one of his I can remember liking is Industrial Evolution.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Oh, what's the worst that can happen to the U.K. in the next year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shs7VQhVvxA

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Murderion posted:

Hell, if you want an intelligent, nonviolent role model for boys, there's always Sherlock Holmes or at least there would be if Moffat wasn't running the show :argh:

Holmes has never really been non violent. Also he's something of an rear end in a top hat and a recreational coke user, which a lot of parents might not be on board with as a role model.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

DancingShade posted:

They should bring back the Brigadeer in the form of his younger self from Shadows Of Avalon so they can get away with a younger, different and still alive actor.

Good luck reconciling his return to Earth :toot:

No bring back Brigadier Bambera instead.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

YES. And Ancelyn.

I'm honestly surprised we haven't had a Bambera reference in the new series

It's not like Angela Bruce wasn't available, she's been doing the circuit of Doctors, Casualty and Holby City as different characters for the last twenty years.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

After The War posted:

"Reference" would probably have been a better term than "pun", but it was late, and I don't think it was any deeper than "in English, the definite article is 'the'." Still, that took me too drat long.

And let's never forget:

Thank you for reminding me that Chris Barrie's delivery of "I said 'How do we get two babies without a woman on board?' and YOU said 'I don't know but it'll be a lot of fun finding out', how RIGHT you were, Listy!" is still one of my favourite Red Dwarf things. Rimmer's sheer glee at Lister being the punchline instead of him for once is palpable.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

DancingShade posted:

There was a pretty great novel I forget the name of now where the Doctor went to an auction during the time war for his own corpse because it could be used to reverse engineer lost time lord technologies because of his unique biodata/timestream.

In the end he incinerated his own dead body so nobody could get access.

Need to bring back Faction Paradox and their biodata virus.

Also it was strongly hinted that the auctioneer was Drax from the final Key to Time serial :v:

I think it's Alien Bodies. Good old Lawrence Miles.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

toanoradian posted:

Yeah, yeah, in 8 minutes Paul McGann outshines Tennant, Smith and Hurt's entire 77 minutes.

To be fair, even FOUR minutes is ages.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'm listening to Rat Trap as it's one of the few 5/Tegan/Nyssa/Turlough audios I haven't yet got to. And five minutes in I remember why. This is pretty much a textbook example of "tell, don't show", complete with a scene where all the secondary characters literally say their full names, occupations and why they're there. And now another one is giving her entire backstory and career history unprompted. This is some sub Pip and Jane level poo poo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cerv posted:

maybe he couldn't think of an origin story that would contradict their other appearances enough

They were actually the voord all along.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Plavski posted:

It still amazes me to this day how bad the American accents are in Doctor Who. I mean, there have got to be real yanks working in the Beeb somewhere, right?

They got an actual American who lives in the UK to play Nixon, but then got an English guy who lives in America to play Canton Everett Delaware III. I don't know whether they filmed the Oval Office scenes in the UK or the US but either way that seems like bad logistics.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

marktheando posted:

I always enjoy the Daleks various silly slave races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqjMQM8kZfk

I like Seinfeld a lot but there's a lot of audience laughter there considering there's no actual joke or anything funny happening.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe the guys who played Lazslo and Dalek Sec that human Dalek are both Americans.

Yeah, but Miranda Raison and Hugh Quarshie definitely aren't and as a result sound loving terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah, you couldn't really do subtlety and nuance when you're capturing a helicarrier using future robots after murdering your entire cabinet. Even less when you've been raised from the dead using a magic potion and can now shoot lighting and you turn the entire world into copies of yourself.

• Locked thread