Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Snow Crash is a wild ride through futurism that is coming true. It did directly inspire google earth and second life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

facialimpediment posted:

Sater is basically the hyper-shady dude that opened up hyper-shady Russian money to Trump when the organization was having serious financial problems. If Sater is talking, Mueller is getting one hell of a view into money laundering.

More here. Sater's been an FBI informant before. http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-sater-trump-20170223-story.html

How bad would it be for a US criminal to flee Poland and seek asylum with the Russians? Asking for a friend

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

psydude posted:

On a lighter note, apparently Scott Walker is has the world's most milquetoast Instagram feed, and it's hilarious for reasons that remain a mystery to science.

Goes to cold stone

Orders vanilla ice cream

Obviously a white supremists (unironicly)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

KildarX posted:

Atlanta GOP candidates would be way more insufferable than they already are.

But have you heard of General Sherman?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
It's more that security costs and so nobody invests what they need to. Isolated power plant networks are great, but your office network getting compromised can allow an attacker to forge credentials to get physical access

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

psydude posted:

Like literally every ICS network that I've worked on has been managed by electrical and mechanical engineers, not network engineers or security engineers. They usually have no idea what they're doing and view it more as a nuisance that distracts them from the rest of their job. Which is true, because it shouldn't BE their job.

Because for 20 years nobody would pay anyone to do security, or would pay the added capital investment in security to begin with. Today the few companies hiring engineers to work on security are finding that the cost of updating 30 years of equipment to support a security requirement to be too expensive. So the engineers hired to focus on security make plans for replacing equipment 10 years from now when it's due anyway.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

KildarX posted:

You spent money and read those things? I just watched the TFR Lets read for them.

I'm the lucky soul who has been sent two copies of the series on two separate secret santas

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

orange juche posted:

Nothing matters hail gay satan

SS-18 is very phallic

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
DynCorp and blackwater seem like some serious trash at the management level. Not going to comment about the quality of contractors, there are goons among them and some of them, I assume, are good people.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Mercenaries kill the bad guys iirc, Security contractors are the ones who rape and murder civilians too

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Hot take: I don't think it was classified and I doubt it was illegal. Pretty sure Comey was an ADC anyway, so the only way they could be classified was if Don decided it was classified after they were published.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/tvietor08/status/884616726754676736

Onion or not the onion? junior violated the hatch act

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Buca di Bepis posted:

have you not noticed the fact that his 7 months in office has been so tumultuous that he can't even get the republicans' landmark healthcare bill passed, as well as any other action that requires more than a signature to overturn an executive order?

Yeah, this is kinda why everybody jokes that nothing matters. Donnie has been stumbling from incompetencey to incompetencey, in full public view, and nothing is visibly happening. Yeah Muller may still turboprosecute the least capable executive team in history but right now they're making us a laughingstock at the G20

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Also
Daily show is back this week and it's great

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Since when have politicians failing to meet promises surprised anyone. Bureaucratic inaction and is a cornerstone belief of 40% of the American population who views voting as useless because nothing happens. No one is surprised by the hydra that is the GOP eating its own ability to govern after everything else. They're not following any sort of GOP outline in anyway that they can sell to American conservatives. They're held hostage by the dozen members of the party beholden to the crazed red hat brigade of pepe warriors

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Godholio posted:

Blackwater founder Erik Prince is SecEd Betsy Devos' brother.

I'm crossing my fingers that they all end up as felons after the fallout

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Buca di Bepis posted:

yes i'm sure this would also be the case if the entirety of the US fully supported the administration and none of the controversies and negative media coverage were happening

Except outrage fatigue is a thing. I'm still an angry liberal and I think that this today is a huge story and some light treason may have been committed, but most people don't see that. They watch FOX and all that fox was talking about in the cafeteria today was about how Comey leaked secrets in his memos and is as bad is ~shillery~. The entirety of the US is majority run by republican statehouses, a republican senate, and a republican congress, who seem to have no qualms about letting an arguably republican executive flail about as long as it makes them money.

The Iron Rose posted:

It should surprise (and please, in this case) people, since politicians actually do tend to keep most of their promises.

Perception, not reality, sways elections as proven by agent orange.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Buca di Bepis posted:

yet they seem to be having bad luck at passing major legislation. I wonder why?

Because they're six seperate political ideologies that coexisted and grew strong on the prevailing principle of "OBAMA IS THE DEVIL"

They're inability to pass malicious legislation in no way impedes their ability to ruin everything through sheer incompetence. They're practically obstructing each other right now and still blaming the democrats. Worst part is its working because they're base is radicalized to believe that anything liberal is bad and were right back to emailghazi

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
All effort must be spent now and going forward because political apathy is letting regressive policies get an inch. Give and inch lose a mile and we may end up back in the 1920s where the police is protecting the KKK (oh wait, already there) and neonazis are a publicized political force in the world (drat too late)

"Nothing matters" because the legal apparatus that remains tenable is operating at the speed of old politics. We're now in the age of raging idiocy where every day things are happening and our politicians could stop it if they weren't all party hacks

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Buca di Bepis posted:

I don't think you can actually discount that so much of the constituencies of these people depend so totally on healthcare handouts that the legislation is completely untenable. Alaska and West Virginia are extreme cases, but people in other states are giving enough poo poo to their Congressmen about losing benefits that it actually seems to be making a difference. Never mind that these same people voted their congressmen in on the platform of destroying healthcare, now they're realizing that it would actually affect them, too.

They don't care that the legislation is untenable because the results of the legislation will never effect them. They will walk away rich, even if some of them lose their seats in 2018 and 2020. We will fight tooth and nail for those seats and hose fuckers will still leave with seven figure accounts and six figure consulting jobs at companies who benefited billions in the few years their plan was active.

Your constituency hates you? What do you do? Attempt to appease them by being more liberal, which they'll hate you for? Or go along with the party, take the pay out, and retire?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think we're talking past each other here.

McCain was also very concerned i'm sure.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Buca di Bepis posted:

As long as they're an unstoppable, invincible super juggernaut I might as well vote on the winning side.

They're not winning, they're breaking things with their stupidity. 35% of the population of America vote for them because their team is the winning side even if it kills them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Nothing matters. Life is absurd tragedy. But by god am I going to try to make life better for those who come after me.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I keep trying to change the cafeteria TV's at work from Fox to CNN. Others keep changing it back. Now other people have started changing it to CNN when they see someone has swapped it, its the most passive aggressive war i've ever seen.

Live Tweeting Collusion 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Casimir Radon posted:

You have to not be able to afford a lawyer to get a public defender. That would be far too embarrassing for Donnie.

This mysterious lawyer would need to be payed a few million to take this case knowing they'll lose it. Something this high profile will ruin careers in perpetuity so it'll likely be an old lawyer ready to retire and his team of young legal interns who can't wait for the experience at developing case law and precedent experience from this. Now Donnie has to pay he lawyers firm his fee x5, an amount of money that any capable law firm will only accept up front from trump, and an amount of money that trump might have trouble producing as cash because all of his value is branding and not actual revenue.

I don't think don was smart enough to save a rainy day fund.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

He might win if he ran on that

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Dead Reckoning posted:

Donald Trump: "Mister President."

-The rallies of 2016 are a distant memory now, but the title still brings him satisfaction. Age and worry have blotched and wrinkled his face, but the famous coiffure remains in place, streaked now with undisguisable patches of grey.

DJT: "And I want you to know that this is very, very unfair. A total witch hunt. I want that on record."

Covfefe, let him reign

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Lol :foxnews:

https://youtu.be/DvpByX05UnA

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

embedded for your pleasure

Ribbed for hers

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Manning being trans is a sad foot note to the actual crime. People attacking her for his/her orientation when there's actual reason to criticize her other choices is kinda a canary about how trans people are often treated in their commands. 25 years ago it was being gay in the military that everybody shat on and now we've gone through a generation that got used to it and homosexual soldiers are just another team member. Give it 10 years and maybe trans enlisted will be equally a non issue.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

TBeats posted:

That just makes it more real imho.

More real than local GiP posters are experiencing at any rate.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

also, how is shep smith still employed at fox news? he seems way too rational

He pulls 10% of their audience who they need to radicalize as many as possible before the treason shoe drops and the GOP goes all in. If they fire him early some small moderate fraction of their viewership loses faith in the credibility of the more malevolent anchors. He knows if he leaves willingly there won't be any rational voices remaining. So he's doing good broadcasts waiting to be forced out so he can get a job at a good news org.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Posting from cspam:

World War Mammories posted:

I sent this email to the election commission because gently caress 'em
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/885896064561184769
the title is from vox which mentions it in an article

e: i am literally proud of this so here's a screenshot

:bisonyes:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

shame on an IGA posted:

Also relevant, I wish Lowtax would say why the Hurricane Hoedown forum isn't available in archives. It would have significant value as a historical document.

Zeris do the needful

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

psydude posted:

The big question was why wasn't the military (national guard, reserve, and active) engaged sooner to evacuate people.

Do you think some of the finest urban infantry we've ever produced would debase themselves and their fine establishment to act as a taxi service?

What kind of world do you perceive. There were black 'looters' to be shot

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

While reading through this is awesome and detailed I have the standard goon questions: was he actually army SF? Was his wife Crystal actually a smoking hot model? Do his parents make it?

We're the SA servers actually on those data centers? When did the forums find out and start supporting the guy?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mr. Nice! posted:

The forums went down when the storm hit. A temp page was put up that said something akin to "something awful is somewhere awful" and had a paypal link for charitable donations. Rich planned on giving all to the red cross, but after around 20k donations, paypal froze his account for potential fraud. He explained what was up, and they said they would only allow him to donate to the United Way. So instead Rich got everyone refunded.

I remember the PayPal thing. It got talked about a lot in he months leading up to me actually buying an account.

Gobbeldygook posted:

I was going to ask "how did you find it" but then I went through the posts and remembered it was actually famous at the time. The blog's wikipedia page is the fourth result for "katrina blog" :downs:

a. Yes.
b. Here's his wife's instagram. He also has an Instagram (godfuckingdamnit does the internet make creeping easy)
c. Yes.

I wasn't prepared for his Twitter.

How am I not surprised.

Edit:

The seeds of it are there if you know what to look for

ikilled007 posted:

Outpost Crystal is still a viable and functioning camp of civilization in the face of the lawless barbarian hordes who threaten at all times to turn what's left of New Orleans into the war of all against all. It's like Mogadishu out there, but we're in a fixed defensive position and prepared.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
iZombie is a parable about HIV and healthcare in America.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

any approval polls lately

im curious

Last I checked the lack of news translates to "holding steady at: BAD; core redhats remain basis of support"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Or: Bloodgates :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread