Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Sign of things to come in Canada soon?

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/882943090180403201

Biggest housing market in Canada

All I know about the Canadian housing market I learned from HGTV, where the mother of 2 has a part time job expressing anal glands and her budget for a home in Toronto is $800,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Supposing we survive this it's going to take years to fix this. It's going to be enough of an effort to dislodge anyone evil and incompetent enough to meet Team Donnie standards. Then they'll have to lure back qualified people who aren't going to trust in the stability of a government job anymore.

I'm already picturing the screaming fits of Republicans over each and every Trump crony the new President attempts to purge.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The President of the United States is for real talking about cooperating with Russia on sharing our nation's network security efforts holy poo poo what is happening and why is half the country overjoyed at this

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sergg posted:

My dad married a Russian mail-order bride when I was 15 and this is 100% accurate. She said if the man doesn't beat you and doesn't drink, he's an automatic keeper.

can they settle for half?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

orange juche posted:

nothing matters.

shut the gently caress up

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

orange juche posted:

I get it that nothing matters is the meme but I'm just pessimistic as gently caress after witnessing the endless clusterfuck that ended with DJT in office.

have you not noticed the fact that his 7 months in office has been so tumultuous that he can't even get the republicans' landmark healthcare bill passed, as well as any other action that requires more than a signature to overturn an executive order?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah, this is kinda why everybody jokes that nothing matters. Donnie has been stumbling from incompetencey to incompetencey, in full public view, and nothing is visibly happening. Yeah Muller may still turboprosecute the least capable executive team in history but right now they're making us a laughingstock at the G20

"nothing is visibly happening" besides the Republicans failing to actually live up to any kind of major governmental goal they had. Are you for real?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Since when have politicians failing to meet promises surprised anyone. Bureaucratic inaction and is a cornerstone belief of 40% of the American population who views voting as useless because nothing happens. No one is surprised by the hydra that is the GOP eating its own ability to govern after everything else. They're not following any sort of GOP outline in anyway that they can sell to American conservatives. They're held hostage by the dozen members of the party beholden to the crazed red hat brigade of pepe warriors

yes i'm sure this would also be the case if the entirety of the US fully supported the administration and none of the controversies and negative media coverage were happening

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

He means that nothing is visibly happening to fix the glitch.

Whatever happens to Trump i feel is secondary to ensuring that Republicans do not get their way in killing millions of citizens and tossing us into yet another pointless war. I will not consider anything that works towards that goal as "nothing happening".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Except outrage fatigue is a thing. I'm still an angry liberal and I think that this today is a huge story and some light treason may have been committed, but most people don't see that. They watch FOX and all that fox was talking about in the cafeteria today was about how Comey leaked secrets in his memos and is as bad is ~shillery~. The entirety of the US is majority run by republican statehouses, a republican senate, and a republican congress, who seem to have no qualms about letting an arguably republican executive flail about as long as it makes them money.

yet they seem to be having bad luck at passing major legislation. I wonder why?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Because they're six seperate political ideologies that coexisted and grew strong on the prevailing principle of "OBAMA IS THE DEVIL"

They're inability to pass malicious legislation in no way impedes their ability to ruin everything through sheer incompetence. They're practically obstructing each other right now and still blaming the democrats. Worst part is its working because they're base is radicalized to believe that anything liberal is bad and were right back to emailghazi

so nothing matters and they were doomed to defeat themselves, might as well not spend any effort since that could only be counterproductive

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

That dysfunction seems to be a lot more about tea party whackos screaming bloody murder about the proposed legislation not being enough murder to satiate the God of Conservatism. If Turtle McFuckerson could have ramrodded his poo poo through without Cruz and pals making GBS threads all over everyone and slowing things up at precisely the wrong moment it would have been a done deal.

I don't think you can actually discount that so much of the constituencies of these people depend so totally on healthcare handouts that the legislation is completely untenable. Alaska and West Virginia are extreme cases, but people in other states are giving enough poo poo to their Congressmen about losing benefits that it actually seems to be making a difference. Never mind that these same people voted their congressmen in on the platform of destroying healthcare, now they're realizing that it would actually affect them, too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

They don't care that the legislation is untenable because the results of the legislation will never effect them. They will walk away rich, even if some of them lose their seats in 2018 and 2020. We will fight tooth and nail for those seats and hose fuckers will still leave with seven figure accounts and six figure consulting jobs at companies who benefited billions in the few years their plan was active.

Your constituency hates you? What do you do? Attempt to appease them by being more liberal, which they'll hate you for? Or go along with the party, take the pay out, and retire?

*shrug* just take a look at the actions of the West Virginia senator, at least

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

I think we're talking past each other here.

McCain was also very concerned i'm sure.

As long as they're an unstoppable, invincible super juggernaut I might as well vote on the winning side.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

They're not winning, they're breaking things with their stupidity. 35% of the population of America vote for them because their team is the winning side even if it kills them.

So keep at it, because "it matters".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TBeats posted:

People have been saying nothing matters for the better part of a year and you're suddenly getting your panties in a wad about it?

No it's always been loving dumb and it's gotten even more dumb with everything that's been happening lately so I chose that moment to talk about it. Sorry I haven't been posting about it enough for your liking.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Genocide Tendency posted:

So this just snuck into my Twitter feed...

https://twitter.com/DKElections/status/884950341610897408

Two red districts in Oklahoma, one created in the 90s, one in 2010, never held by a Dem just got flipped.

Excellent, hopefully a sign of things to come in 2018.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Trump, tweet the piss tape

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I love the previous statement on this that went something like "He was acting as a private citizen and a businessman"... to obtain information from the Russians in order to aid Trump's campaign?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

Saw this in the D&D Trump thread and thought it might matter to y'all:

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/885607026025476096

nothing matters :coal:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Do you think some of the finest urban infantry we've ever produced would debase themselves and their fine establishment to act as a taxi service?

What kind of world do you perceive. There were black 'looters' to be shot

Pretty sure it was the cops blasting blacks, not the servicemembers

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

I remember multiple studies with similar conclusions (i.e. people will gently caress themselves if it fucks an outgroup more) from my old psych classes, I just can't remember any of their names. I guarantee that they exist, though.

Note that the ones I'm thinking of didn't necessarily use money (but some did), I specifically remember one involved getting British teenagers to assign points for some arbitrary task, and about 80% of them would gladly tank their own score if it meant the other guy would get even less. Same principle, though.

Psych studies are mostly kinda bullshit, though. There's all sorts of issues with the methodology, like the "young, white, college student" problem with their study samples and the difficulty in applying scientific rigor to studies of cognition. I took a few psych courses in college and the professors would all readily admit this. I bring this up because internet nihilists love to cite the Milgram experiment when, in reality, it was massively flawed and the common conception of it is not actually a reasonable conclusion to draw from the results (http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2013/10/02/the-shocking-truth-of-the-notorious-milgram-obedience-experiments/).

I guess I don't know enough to say that the study you're talking about is off the mark but I'd be skeptical, especially considering the positive studies on generosity and social support conducted over the years. The truth is probably way more complicated than you want it to be.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 16, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

suboptimal posted:

Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead were cool and good movies, but the genre gets pretty weird and crappy after that. Notable exceptions: Lucio Fulci's Zombi (where a zombie fights a shark under water, no joke) and Return of the Living Dead.

Kinda NSFW for 70s scuba boobs

https://youtu.be/dH2Eh3wEarY

Apparently the shark was fed horse meat full of tranquilizers before that scene, and the zombie is the shark's wrangler.

Zombi also has that nightmare-inducing scene where a zombie slowly pulls a chick's eye socket onto a jagged wooden splinter.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

So apparently Minnesota Police responded to an Australian woman called for help in an alley by shooting her. They had cameras, but they were not turned on.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/australian-woman-shot-dead-minneapolis-police-officers-after-calling-911-n783581

It's hard to imagine a scenario where a middle aged spiritualist would be so threatening to a group of armed men. Unfortunately for her there were no witnesses so there will not even be an investigation even if the cops hosed up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"Our tax code is so complicated!" has always come across to me as one of the more bizarre complaints coming from working class people. Like, anything that affects people that don't own multiple properties and businesses and manage gigantic fortunes is generally pretty simple. They even call the standard tax form the "ez" one

I guess it's just another one of those things the rich convinced the poor was insanely important.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Also tax codes are long and complex for a goddamn reason. It's to plug loving loopholes.

It shouldn't be any surprise that all "simplified" tax plans tend to massively favor the rich. I've lost count of the number of people with $20-30k incomes who say a 20% flat tax would be great because it's "way more fair."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I highly doubt Doug Ducey is going to appoint a principled moderate to McCain's seat.

Also, they gain nothing from impeaching Donnie or otherwise moving against him, so...

The long game that you're describing gains favor from distancing from Trump, not circling around him

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

thanks rex

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

psydude posted:

Why the gently caress don't people wear seatbelts? My junior year of high school some idiot flipped his Jeep while drunk. The two guys in the back weren't wearing seatbelts, and it ended exactly as you would expect.

My girlfriend told me a story the other day of how an acquaintance of hers had a babysitter/friend who "didn't believe in seatbelts" and got her baby killed in an easily-survivable accident because she didn't strap it to the car seat.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BaconAndBullets posted:

Just change your point of view of this dumpster fire of a timeline. I recommend becoming nihilistic.

It's actually the other way around though

Especially with twitter

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This is just so profoundly sad. My girlfriend has a health condition, and her employer-provided insurance refuses to cover treatments for any of the follow-on conditions that have started to accrue with age. This is the insurance provided by a job in a medical practice that serves the military, a job she loves. The entirety of the majority leadership and a good portion of this country literally want her to just die, even though she works harder than anyone I know and for a good cause.

I've offered to do a quick marriage ceremony just to get her on Tricare, but she didn't want to go down that route. Even then, what happens when I leave the service?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

She'd prefer to die than marry you. Ouch.

I know, right?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Holy poo poo, I serve with several transgender Airmen and the loving president just kicked them out over twitter???

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've spent my entire career at a desk job, with the possibility of deployments that would require sitting at a desk in another country. If you think there isn't room for transgender people to serve in the military because of some loving medical treatments you are a grade A retard.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Holy poo poo he literally is the 80s guy from Futurama

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So who's left to staff the Trump administration after he's finished firing all of his cronies?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

This, but I also have zero experience in either naval strategy or missile technology. It just seems like swarming, super-accurate ASBMs can't be over 20 years away for China (assuming it doesn't succumb to its internal problems), offering substantial ability to deny carriers the ability to conduct operations against land-based targets at a tiny fraction of the cost it takes to design, build, man, and maintain a carrier battle group.

But I guess we will still have the ability to bomb some technicals in the desert or provide hurricane relief in southeast Asia and that's all we really need.

At some point the counter to each individual high tech threat becomes its own Star Wars program so I don't really blame the leadership for focusing technical attention on the forces we can fight without starting WW3 and leaving the rest to diplomacy and economy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

He's going to kill himself, isn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Trump is going to claim any evidence Mueller finds is fabricated, isn't he?

No, he's going to agree utterly and offer a complete and heartfelt confession.

• Locked thread