Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

Excuse the interruption, but this is a real thing, in real life, from a real reporter, from a real source, about our real government.

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/884377384702619649

Today is going to be really stupid.

http://www.snappytv.com/tc/5208365

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Don Jr. isn't very smart, is he? Or does he just think because daddy's in power he can't basically tighten his own noose and dad will get him out of it?

Pretty sure that's the entire family. The women in the family at least seem competent, relatively speaking.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Eh, if I had the means to give my kids a super easy life I would. Why struggle at any point from birth to death if you don't need to?*

Look at the Trump family. Love them or hate them, whatever they did in the last couple of generations worked. They may be retarded, but they won/are winning.

*maybe I should mention that I grew up ultra poor and that might be shaping my viewpoints on this.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 10, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

He was just given enough money and influence that he hasn't hosed up enough yet to sink his empire, that's all. He's lost immense amounts of his brand value due to poor planning and poor management.

And then he went out and got a branch of the government.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

That's not really a success as its steadily becoming clearer that it was more a power play by someone way smarter and more influential :ussr:

I don't want to get into a huge debate about why Trump won so I'll just summarize my thoughts: Russia didn't win the election for Trump; Trump won the election by being the perfect candidate for 2016.

Opportunistic? Lucky? Probably a bit of both, but either way he's got a branch of the government. Barron will never struggle in his life, and Barron's kids will never struggle in their lives, regardless of how much fortune Donald Trump squandered.

They won at the game of life, is all I'm saying. Someone hits the lotto it's definitely 100% luck, but you'd still say they won the lotto.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

You can't really downplay Russia's involvement when Don Jr. can't even cover his own rear end in saying they were directly feeding them information to sway voters or dissuade them.

That doesn't change my overall point though: the Trumps are winning at life from the perspective of several generations worth (including going forward) don't have to struggle for anything, regardless of who helped who get where.

Give me a billion dollars and I'm winning at life even if I didn't earn a dime of it.

Either way I think the rhetoric doled out by Fox News from 2009 to 2016 did more to benefit Trump in the election than Russia could have ever hoped to.

I guess my bigger point is, from the perspective of a Trump, what benefit is there to be anything other than what you are? They still have billions and now they have a branch of the government. Until someone holds them accountable... heh, never mind, nobody will ever do that.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 10, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

The point isn't whether or not Russia actually ended up helping Trump. It's that unchecked Russian attempts to interfere with the electoral process (along with everything else) is a greater threat to national security than whatever brown boogeymen conservatives can concoct.

We are talking past each other. I'm not commenting on the death of democracy or Russia meddling at all. I 100% agree with you, I just 100% wasn't talking about that.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Pesticide20 posted:

He doesn't read anything so he wouldn't know if there was.

Newt Gingrich told us it isn't what you know, it's how you feel. How does Trump feel about aliens? I'm convinced if Buzz Lightyear from Star Command came and said Mr. President, aliens are attacking us, Trump would just throw a rally and talk about building a wall because he can't tell the difference between aliens and aliens.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LingcodKilla posted:

How many people got to go away for us to get the president we are not worthy of.

~325 million plus some Russians.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vasudus posted:

I still remain confident that the first MoH that Trump has to award, Mattis will impale the decorative hate squash with a ceremonial marine sword if he goes off message and rambles about fake news or something.

It'll be like that scene in Kingdom of Heaven with the ice. Marine honor guard just gonna pop the sword out of the sheath.

"You know I got a Purple Heart right? They gave me one. Just like the people gave me this Presidency, that the fake news will tell you I lost the popular vote by 3 million but won't report about Hillary sabotaging Bernie's campaign. But yeah I got a Purple Heart. This was a little bit before I won the largest electoral college victory in the last 20 years."

My grammar is way too good to impersonate Trump. Although I feel like if you wanted to get an end of deployment Medal of Honor, this would be the president to get to sign off on it.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 10, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Maybe the people we owe can repo a few states. As far as internal debt, I dunno.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Cruises are amazing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If we burn it all down then we can't give it up when we default on our debts and need to give up something for repo to other countries, and then we have to give up the parts we didn't want to burn.

Just something to think about!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Professor Bling posted:

Look you burn Atlanta and then give the creditors, I dunno, all of Kansas? Who'd miss that shithole?

Hell, just give 'em the whole of the lower Great Plains, all the cool nature poo poo's up north anyway

and gently caress the entire top half of Texas

editZ: also I don't trust a dude that chooses Kildar anything as a screen name after reading those Ghost novels

I don't trust someone who says Battle even if they say it ironically.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Reverand maynard posted:

I still find it kinda bizarre that because I don't like Russia I'm by default a liberal now. Like there are really only three things I'm liberal about : social issues, weed, and healthcare.

That makes you like 100% a snowflake liberal

What prompted Trump Jr to talk about meeting with Russia? Did something get leaked and he spoke about it or did he just decide to eat his feet unprovoked?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Buca di Bepis posted:

So keep at it, because "it matters".

People have been saying nothing matters for the better part of a year and you're suddenly getting your panties in a wad about it?

https://twitter.com/mikecollierwx/status/884625189056720896

https://twitter.com/mikecollierwx/status/884633265981857792

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 11, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
"She didn't have any info on clinton so what's the big deal???"

Betting on that being an excuse by someone high up.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Most of the hardcore Christian right wingers that I served with got out and seem to hate their lives and spend all day on Facebook posting second amendment memes and how antifa are no different than ISIS and how blue lives matter and how black people are the real racists.

The usual Breitbart talking points.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/chelseaclinton/status/884388123748315138

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 11, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

I mean.

If collusion is indeed a crime and it really doesn't matter if that Russian lawyer even gave anything, Mueller was just handed an open-and-shut case.

There is no :psyduck: big enough for how stupid this all is.

https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/884793467745992704

Was Trump Jr working in an official capacity for his dad's campaign at that time? If he wasn't, then how/why would it actually impact Trump himself aside from bad optics and more smoke?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Pesticide20 posted:

Paul Manafort and the Kush were both there, too.

Well that....

Yeah okay then I agree with this: :psyduck:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Imagine how much better it would have been for all of them if they had the ability to exercise even halfway decent judgement and just shut the gently caress up six months ago.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Naramyth posted:

The poor guy.

I think he's looking at it wrong. I get his sentiment, but he basically forced Trump Jr's hand. Or something. Trump Jr should have just shut the gently caress up but he wouldn't have done that bullshit "for full transparency [after I'm already busted]" tweet were it not for that guys story.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Fox News anchor just said this exact thing, and maybe someone can check the accuracy of the claim: "Collusion is not a crime so be that it is not being held in exchange for favors, especially during a political election."

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Well, it was said by Fox news......

Immediately after that they switched to James Comey releasing classified information lmao

https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/884802095391617025

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 11, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

cowboy elvis posted:

Donald, you should've just stuck to realty tv you cumball

at this point, that's exactly what this is.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

joat mon posted:

Collusion is not a crime in this context, though it can be in an antitrust context. Regarding 2016's presidential campaign issues, 'collusion' is being used colloquially, not legally.

Collusion is a less culturally and less legally loaded term than conspiracy, which I guess is why its being used.

The solicitation angle comes from Title 52, section 30121 of the U.S. Code which has to do with Contributions and donations by foreign nationals. For trump purposes, there are two different crimes here:

and

Title 11, section 110.20 of the Combined Federal Register (Federal regulations) lays out what definitions are to be used in this context - in this case, at 11 CFR 300.2.

It goes on to give some guidance and examples:

So, back to 52 USC 30121.
1) No foreign national gave or promised to give Clinton opposition research to Trump or anyone connected to the campaign. Opposition research could be a thing of value that could constitute a donation.

2) No Trump person solicited the opposition research - Goldstone solicited Trump Jr. I don't think Jr. agreeing to a meeting set up by Goldstone can transfer Goldstone's solicitation of Jr. to a solicitation by Jr, but I haven't researched it.

Thanks for this. There's a lot more more nuance to it than I thought.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

reading the thread on the Assange tweet he wanted the email to basically be leaked anonymously, I guess through wikileaks.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/884867119434747904

hell ya finally some justice MAGA

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ASAPI posted:

Is there a TL;DR version? My brain hurts today.

God has had enough. We are a failed experiment.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Wait I thought Iran was bad and Obama helped them fund terrorism or something? Tucker sounds like he'd be okay with that now.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
How did the Trump Jr interview on Hannity go? How did they spin it?

It makes me physically uncomfortable to watch Trump Jr or Hannity so I skipped it and read a bit of 1984.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

-In hindsight I might have done things differently, but nothing criminal occurred

I think I saw this part in a clip that was advertising the interview sometime yesterday. Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Hillary say pretty much this exact same thing about her emails or Benghazi? Is time really that much of a flat circle?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I think the closest a ring has ever been to my finger is when it was a nuvaring.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Not sure if I like or don't like this headline

https://twitter.com/ibtimes/status/884898880810254338

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Reverand maynard posted:

you can't discredit the story when he loving tweeted out the out emails. Did he forget his family was going for the FAKE NEWS angle?

They'll still call it fake news.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

cowboy elvis posted:

I'm getting the impression that this Fake News tactic is losing steam as Trump cannot discredit every story. Journalists are doing too well at backing up these big stories.

You know what should be losing steam? Election rallies. You know where he will say it is fake news? At an election rally.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Reverand maynard posted:

yeah uh I paid for them by shooting at dudes and having bad knees before turning 30

I can't take Monty on morning walks and evening walks (2 miles each, four miles total) without my right leg being in throbbing pain the entire following day because the military needed the cartilage out of my knee to get destroyed by running on concrete and ruck marching on concrete. I can only do either the morning or the evening, but I'm afraid even that is going to be a problem in the future.

And I'm only 29 :(

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I would forfeit my $1200 reimbursement without much issue for the post 9/11 GI bill. I wouldn't have a problem doubling that either.

Honestly it's been so worth it that I would've taken a $100 pay cut every month of the five years that I was in if I had to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Zeris posted:

My man, forever wars are extremely cheap so long as you get rid of that golden hour bullshit. It's the battlefield survivors breaking the bank. You see what our country needs more than anything is for us to die as our final act of service.

gas the help thread

• Locked thread