Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I'm binging TMA right now too-- got through season one today and dove straight into season two. Fictional horror doesn't much scare me outside of jump scares so the evidence dungeon corkboard element is actually really great for keeping me interested, along with the stories themselves being, you know, interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, I think the infodump has been a little too fast. I'm still totally on board and I think coming where in the story it is (exactly at the halfway point) I feel like it's a prelude to a lot of poo poo hitting the fan but this still feels a little awkward right now. I think the fact that he's being told a lot of it outright rather than piecing it together himself from the statements is a bit of the issue too.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

And the thing is really, which stories resonate with who is really variable, too-- Body Builder hit me; We All Ignore the Pit not so much, and the fire cult does catch my interest. Honestly I think if you're wanting the episodic stuff, the individual statements will still do you, so long as you don't mind the serialized sections.

I like them both, so this works out great for me~

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Magnus is taking off until January 10th? Jesus that's a long break.

Might be trying to avoid the midseason break they had this time around.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

No, from interviews, the plans were pretty concrete afaict.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

From a worry for the characters standpoint or a quality of the show standpoint?

the former. it's good.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

Same.

I'm even okay with Peter Lucas's stilted delivery, since I think it kinda fits with the character.

Yeah, I'm modestly sure it's intentional - "inappropriately peppy but weirdly affectless" sounds like a specific note

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Boxman posted:

I’ve been listening to Magnus and enjoying it a reasonable amount, but when does the serialized not kick in? The OP makes it sound like things are going to happen that aren’t just SCP-style recurring names or iconography.

I just finished the 30th episode.

:getin:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

tbh I recently started a relisten of Magnus from the beginning and it became immediately clear to me that the show hasn't actually gotten more metaplotty, we just have more context. The big difference is that there's more stuff happening in the here-and-now, rather than in the past of statements.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

But the metaplot has become the show. As was said, before it felt more like Easter eggs or flavor text. Now it's the entire show, especially given the number of additional characters, many of whom I find barely distinguishable.

It felt like easter eggs or flavour text because we didn't have the context. Some of these super early episodes are infodumpy as hell. Literally the only reason it didn't seem that way at the time is that we didn't know what half of what was being said meant. Agnes Montague at Hill Top Road is literally in the first ten. Jane Prentiss goes on about the Beholding. I was really surprised when I went back to the beginning because I did think there was a shift in the prominence of the metaplot, but being able to now identify it, it's a massive presence right out the gate.

The current seasons are really tonally different but it's not because the metaplot has become more significant-- the tonal difference is from both the characters and the listeners actually being able to identify the metaplot.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

New Leaf posted:

Also, according to the wiki, he's confirmed as asexual? Which is news to me..

It's one of the episodes with Georgie, I forget which. It comes up in passing in conversation-- he doesn't use the word but he describes it pretty clearly for himself.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

boo_radley posted:

Jonah Magnus: what a dick.

Also: about all the other rituals - Tim died for nothing.

gently caress

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he's powerless vs the spider and extinction. As well as Jonah himself of course.

I think this most recent episode shows there's just not a lot he can do against the Spider, yeah.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Sab Sabbington posted:

I see this take semi-frequently and I'm still having a hard time trying to understand how people land on that? Pretty much every episode of the most recent season has functioned as a thematic crescendo for one of the powers, coupled with advancement of the metanarrative usually at the beginning and end. It's still the same kind of anthology storytelling that it has (primarily) always been, it's just using the Watcher's Crown version of the world as a vehicle for highlighting the existential ways the fears had always felt, but literally now.

It's polished up all the chess pieces we've been playing with for 3 seasons and getting ready for checkmate now that we have a better view.

Given Sims' real world ethics and the vibe he has when he streams and when he talks about his work I really, really don't think we're going to have a grimdark ending. My prediction that I'm feeling pretty good about : Jon is the Extinction. The Ceaseless Watcher's version of the world is--besides the overt supernatural qualities obvi--at it's core just a clearer picture of our own world, and Jon is going to end it and the influence of the other powers with it. Bonus points if the series literally ending (as in there's no more for us to listen to) is part of that conceit.

Yeah, I don't see it being per-se a happy ending-- not only would it be out of genre but that would be literally impossible with everything that's happened up to this point, but the meta-story doesn't work if it doesn't end with some bittersweet but precious victory. And whatever anyone thinks about Magnus, I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue that the meta-story is badly constructed to this point.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I got a few episodes in (about halfway through s1) and dropped Arden cause it just didn't click with me and the spoilers I looked up didn't encourage me to continue-- not for bad reasons, just that nothing I saw was really further engaging. It's a fun premise and well done but just wasn't for me.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

codswallop posted:

and instead of mumbling on about podcaster drama let me make a rec

Has anyone listened to This Thing of Darkness? It's a crime drama produced by BBC Scotland about the psychological impact of a murder.

Season 1: a young man is killed in the family home and his father is arrested for his murder, though he maintains his innocence. Three subplots happen here: Alex the forensic psychologist/narrator interviewing the father on behalf of the defence team, a subplot following how the mother and sister of the dead man desperately try/fail to cope with the loss and the false accusation, and Alex's group therapy sessions helping serious criminals come to terms with why they committed their crimes.

Given it's a professional radio show it's fantastically acted/soundscaped, but it's also completely compelling. I whacked it on, intending to listen to the first 15 minutes while doing my dishes, and ended staying up until dawn listening to the entire first season, the murder mystery was that gripping. It's based on the work of real forensic psychologists and it's a bit queasy how well it made me empathise with the criminals even as they admitted the details of their violent crimes.

And that's a content warning: it does involve graphic descriptions of stalking, psychological abuse, and murders by the people who committed them, as well a description of the psychological impact of child sexual abuse in one monologue (though no details of the act itself)

Season 2 is about a woman being released from prison on remand after serving ten years for arson. Another three subplots are going on here: Alex acting in an official capacity as the psychologist assessing how the woman is reintegrating into society, the domestic struggles of the woman's ex-boyfriend, who was badly injured in the arson attack, and Alex's community group therapy session for people with post-injury PTSD. Once again, I binged this season for an entire day straight.

okay yeah i'm about halfway through the first season right now and this is riveting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Ep 1 felt pretty awkward to me with getting the setup across but I'm being nitpicky, it's not trivial to get the exposition across and that it was only awkward is still pretty good. Very curious to get on this ride, I really liked archives and loved its building metaplot stuff but havent really thought about it since it ended.