Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

a whopping $22/hour

#investinyou

also doesnt take into account paying your own healthcare, your car getting destroyed after 6-months, 1099 taxes, gas, tolls, parking tickets so probably more like $10/hr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Quetzadilla posted:

Yeah I know this hosed up my life for a year but pre-wayfair even physical nexus was defined differently state-by-state, or by product types (and even then was sometimes hilariously unclear). We got boned because we had travelling sales/support people and because different states classified types of software differently for nexus rules.

Public Law 86-272 never protected you against any non-income tax! *taps head*

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
you too can make $8k every month if you just spend literally half of all your time working. what a great nation we live in

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Cold on a Cob posted:

pretty much any 25 year old actually earning a salary like that lives in a high col area and is renting a room in a house for 1/2 his take-home

costs like 2k for a room so if you're making six figgies thats like 1/3

math is still lol, but lol

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Quetzadilla posted:

Obviously that's their prerogative but that dissertation on why it's somehow uniquely ridiculous as a concept and that no one else in the world does it is not exactly accurate.

It is ridiculous because the uk is insignificant

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

a whopping $22/hour

There 8760 hours in a year. If you work all of them, you can make more than 192k!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Xaris posted:

#investinyou

also doesnt take into account paying your own healthcare, your car getting destroyed after 6-months, 1099 taxes, gas, tolls, parking tickets so probably more like $10/hr

gas alone would be at least a couple thousand a month and this person probably didn’t tell his insurance company that he was driving commercially for 12 hours a day

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SKULL.GIF posted:

a whopping $22/hour

not to rehash this or anything, but last time this came up a ton of us did the math based on the numbers in the article and this guy was nowhere near $22/hour

he might have managed to hit minimum wage depending on how much you want to fudge some numbers, but his net pay was exceptionally bad even if you make some very generous assumptions about his costs

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

kitten emergency posted:

https://twitter.com/Gritty20202/status/1345435526069944322

i love that every now and then cnbc just decides to piss everyone off

This one comes up pretty often, the original article is here: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/20/budget-breakdown-of-a-25-year-old-who-makes-100000-dollars-a-year.html

He makes the money tutoring terrified Cambridge students and keeps his expenses low by living with four roommates. Obviously not the standard post-grad experience for many young folks, but it seems like he found a solid hustle and is milking it for all its worth. Uni students are already used to paying insane premiums for resources so what's another three or four grand for some test-prep?

Edit: he was still a Princeton grad, though so I'm sure he had a big enough leg up from his family that actual failure was never really in the cards.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 3, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

Edit: he was still a Princeton grad, though so I'm sure he had a big enough leg up from his family that actual failure was never really in the cards.

YA THINK?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Not saying it ain’t bad, just not as bad as those articles tend to be. Grade on a curve so you know who to be angriest at first.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
oh you misunderstand me. I couldn't give a poo poo :cheersdoge:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
lol @ bitcoin and other crypto prices rn

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The current price of bitcoin is absolutely indicative that we are about to be hit by a hyperinflationary event of staggeringly monumental proportions, along with a deep and prolonged crash of the economy.

There's no other explanation for why billions are pouring into the institutionalized pyramid scheme hourly.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

yes yes that's all well but you see number go up, Rime. Up.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Crypto is such a weird aspect to the precarious US Dollar situation this coming decade. It's so weird that Western capitalists are insisting on crashing *multiple* currencies they're invested in instead of just letting the one dominant currency, the dollar, crash so they can just flee to RMB or other solid ones. No, they're insisting on diversifying in hyperinflatory currencies to maximize their exposure

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i moved to another continent at age 23 with nothing but $500, an employment offer, and a relocation stipend and it all worked out for me

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

why doesn’t everyone just do that

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Rime posted:

The current price of bitcoin is absolutely indicative that we are about to be hit by a hyperinflationary event of staggeringly monumental proportions, along with a deep and prolonged crash of the economy.

There's no other explanation for why billions are pouring into the institutionalized pyramid scheme hourly.

The annual bubble has come again? For god sakes, seraph, if you can hear me, sell high. Just buy the dip after the sell off completely craters for a month. ez money.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
ive got an annal bubble for you.its even going up.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIy3OZlDOa2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

fart simpson posted:

most people have friends

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

RBC posted:

most people have friends

i have new friends now

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
so which one of you vandalized mitch McConnell and nancy pelosi's houses

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the pelosi vandalism was a false flag op unfortunately

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Dreylad posted:

so which one of you vandalized mitch McConnell and nancy pelosi's houses

cool zone is convinced it's an inside job. there is compelling evidence in the covid thread that it was committed by a cartoon rat. many truths.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Pelosi job was an op

The McConnell one was more likely real

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Pelosi job was an op

The McConnell one was more likely real

Why was Pelosi's fake? Is it because the paint didn't show on the brick the same way as the wood/metal of the trim/door?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

spacetoaster posted:

Why was Pelosi's fake? Is it because the paint didn't show on the brick the same way as the wood/metal of the trim/door?

it’s too much

libs focus on “capitalist pigs” imagery a lot, there’s an anarchist “a” symbol sprayed, it’s asking for 2k and to cancel rent AND saying “we want everything”; it’s just super weird. it’s very much a tv writer’s conception of a radical leftist

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

fart simpson posted:

U wanna hook me up with a job offer?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

also you don’t leave blood at the foot of someone’s garage, you throw it at them in public, duh

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

spacetoaster posted:

Real answer: 'WE WANT EVERYTHING' is a shitlib dog whistle.

Better answer: The blood used was fake. If it had been done by real leftists, it would have been the blood of post-term protestant abortions per Antifa union charter.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

https://twitter.com/0ddette/status/1345165700256690176?s=19

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Declan MacManus posted:

it’s too much

libs focus on “capitalist pigs” imagery a lot, there’s an anarchist “a” symbol sprayed, it’s asking for 2k and to cancel rent AND saying “we want everything”; it’s just super weird. it’s very much a tv writer’s conception of a radical leftist

maybe it's just some recently radicalized workers who just don't have the deep understanding of CSPAM posters. :colbert:

That doesn't make it any clearer. Cleaning off brick is way easier than cleaning that paint off the driveway/door/glass/wood. The lines are probably just the angle/position of the spray can and the brick molding around the door.

What I'm saying is that door is more recessed than the camera angle is showing.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Cold on a Cob posted:

pretty much any 25 year old actually earning a salary like that lives in a high col area and is renting a room in a house for 1/2 his take-home

If you want to live in commuting range (via metro) to jobs in DC the apartments are 2k/mo for a loft and go up from there.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

it’s too much

Might be representative for Pelosi's district though.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

Cleaning off brick is way easier than cleaning that paint off the driveway/door/glass/wood. .

How in the living hell do you figure? Just blatantly and glibly saying the opposite of reality.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

How in the living hell do you figure? Just blatantly and glibly saying the opposite of reality.

I've cleaned paint off of brick with acid and a brush before?

They're going to have to re-paint that entire garage door though, which will require taking it apart first.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They'll just replace it to "preserve evidence" and just as much work as taking that one down to repaint anyhow.

That's a common sized door. No point on trying to salvage that sheet metal when there's perfectly consumable piles of them in every city in the country.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, the door is recessed significantly more than the photo shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNC8bq1ViQ0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

the mitch one just feels more authentic, because you can tell they went in there with a lot of energy and then they realized that the letters were taking up too much space and had to squeeze everything in at the last minute because, y'know, vandalism

that's the people's champion right there