Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

curious as to why this real 25 year old who is good with money is paying for their own health insurance instead of riding on their parents for another year, since their parents are clearly loaded as that budget includes no student loan expenses, and also where they live that rent is only 825 but transportation costs from where rent is that cheap to a place a 25 yr old can earn 100k only total 130/month

$130/mo is a public transit only number, where the gently caress in the US do you earn that much yet live somewhere with transit access?

Oh wait, I remember from the last time, he lives in Boston with 4 roommates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Did they do the same article again or is this the old one because I remember making fun of those exact numbers before.

CNBC really does run the same trash articles all the time though, they do the "look at how much TAXES you'll pay if you win the powerball this time!" like once a month

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Twerk from Home posted:

$130/mo is a public transit only number, where the gently caress in the US do you earn that much yet live somewhere with transit access?

Oh wait, I remember from the last time, he lives in Boston with 4 roommates.

you could pull that off in dfw as well but youd be insane not to have a car here

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Is "donations" weed money, patreon subs, or onlyfans payments?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
$825 makes more sense if they have roommates, but if you're pulling down 6 figgies anywhere that isn't SF/NYC/Boston/DC, you sure as poo poo don't have roommates.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nothus posted:

$825 makes more sense if they have roommates, but if you're pulling down 6 figgies anywhere that isn't SF/NYC/Boston/DC, you sure as poo poo don't have roommates.

Well, the whole FIRE cult of childless high earners trying to budget 20k/year keeps getting constant media hype, because then you can point at people actually earning $25k/year and blame them for not living like randian supermen.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Is this about retconning a way to justify shaming everyone who can't put down 20% down on a >$1million house?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, the whole FIRE cult of childless high earners trying to budget 20k/year keeps getting constant media hype, because then you can point at people actually earning $25k/year and blame them for not living like randian supermen.

it used to be somewhat applicable to normal people.

i remember the roots of the FIRE movement, when the your money or your life author was advocating you live off bond interest lol :allears:

so much for that

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Twerk from Home posted:

I mean the really funny part is that if everyone followed the FIRE philosophy to the best of their ability the consumer economy would collapse in a flaming heap immediately

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Paradoxish posted:

I mean the really funny part is that if everyone followed the FIRE philosophy to the best of their ability the consumer economy would collapse in a flaming heap immediately

Why do you think they call it FIRE?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

Being really angry at people living below their means seems dumb.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
being really angry probably entails more than making an offhand post on a dead internet forum

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Fame Douglas posted:

this is just willfully misinterpreting what's happening here.

i'm not surprised that you engage in bad faith misreadings as a force of habit but what i can't figure out is why you keep coming back here when nobody loving likes you

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i will not turn on my monitor

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

err posted:

Sven is telling you all to log off and stop posting.

https://twitter.com/NorthmanTrader/status/1344708330011435008?s=19

Why does Sven look like the High Liner Fishy Stick dude, now. :thunk:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Fame Douglas posted:

You're just dumb

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Smythe posted:

fail rear end mods keep probating me so i have many posts stored up.... =/

mentioned boob armor and that mod immediately got erect lol. please stop being creepy thx *ahhhh*

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It turns out that thinking something is dumb is not the same as being "really angry"

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Declan MacManus posted:

i will not turn on my monitor

Turn your monitor on.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/uk_domain_names/status/1345149939064713217?s=19

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Fame Douglas posted:

that's not the part people are upset about

scroll up, someone even spelled it out for you

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Fame Douglas posted:

Turn your monitor on.

boo (you suck)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

shut the gently caress up

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

kitten emergency posted:

https://twitter.com/Gritty20202/status/1345435526069944322

i love that every now and then cnbc just decides to piss everyone off

No loans being paid off either lmao

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

can someone explain the donations that are nearly as much as their rent

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

im 25 and making 100k a year. im going to donate 600 dollars a month to charity!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
whenever some huge news firm staffed entirely by incredibly rich and well-connected trust fund idiots posts a budget for joe everyman it is always nonsensical to the point where you question if they even know what money or a budget is

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

RBC posted:

im 25 and making 100k a year. im going to donate 600 dollars a month to charity!

mods rename me charity! immediately

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

kitten emergency posted:

https://twitter.com/Gritty20202/status/1345435526069944322

i love that every now and then cnbc just decides to piss everyone off

This has been covered but lmao absolutely no way any 25 year old anywhere making 6 figures is donating almost as much as his monthly rent.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Don't you have to register for EU VAT and collect/remit VAT to the EU if you're shipping into the EU from outside? How is this different?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Quetzadilla posted:

This has been covered but lmao absolutely no way any 25 year old anywhere making 6 figures is donating almost as much as his monthly rent.

pretty much any 25 year old actually earning a salary like that lives in a high col area and is renting a room in a house for 1/2 his take-home

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

RBC posted:

can someone explain the donations that are nearly as much as their rent

They're a Mormon bishop and are tithing!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Quetzadilla posted:

Don't you have to register for EU VAT and collect/remit VAT to the EU if you're shipping into the EU from outside? How is this different?

the uk is insignificant in size compared to the eu lol

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Charity is their onlyfans sub

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the uk is insignificant in size compared to the eu lol

So it's not really the principle of the issue that's the problem. As someone who's done sales tax accounting in the U.S. that bikemaker can eat my entire rear end.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Quetzadilla posted:

So it's not really the principle of the issue that's the problem. As someone who's done sales tax accounting in the U.S. that bikemaker can eat my entire rear end.

Why the gently caress would they bother for very little business

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Judakel posted:

Why the gently caress would they bother for very little business

Obviously that's their prerogative but that dissertation on why it's somehow uniquely ridiculous as a concept and that no one else in the world does it is not exactly accurate.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Quetzadilla posted:

Obviously that's their prerogative but that dissertation on why it's somehow uniquely ridiculous as a concept and that no one else in the world does it is not exactly accurate.

In the US you didn't have to collect sales tax in a state just because you had economic nexus (i.e, made sales into a state without having physical presence) until the South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc. decision 2 years ago, so most companies skated by on having to file in 1,000,000 jurisdictions until recently.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

In the US you didn't have to collect sales tax in a state just because you had economic nexus (i.e, made sales into a state without having physical presence) until the South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc. decision 2 years ago, so most companies skated by on having to file in 1,000,000 jurisdictions until recently.

Yeah I know this hosed up my life for a year but pre-wayfair even physical nexus was defined differently state-by-state, or by product types (and even then was sometimes hilariously unclear). We got boned because we had travelling sales/support people and because different states classified types of software differently for nexus rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

kitten emergency posted:

might be a repost. there's a lot of really twisted poo poo on the cnbc twitter though

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1344812332958982144?s=20

a whopping $22/hour