Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

At this point having no student debt and never having to encounter people like that makes me feel almost lucky I was too poor and dropped out of school because that poo poo would have given me an aneurysm right there in class. Academia feels enough like an ivory tower to me at the best of times, which sometimes feels like a character flaw on my part, but seeing the poo poo that econ students actually believe sure isn't helping.

Hey again, Giant Bomb thread buddy. I'm in the same boat. Dropped out of community college after a couple years because I couldn't sustain working two jobs and going to school full time. Upside, I've got zero debt. Downside, I'll probably never rise about middling wage-work.

No idea if I dodged a bullet or doomed myself. Probably the former, since I was trying to major in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

the first thing I do every morning is start jigglin'

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ardennes posted:

The question is when the PLAN actually starts to stand toe to toe with the USN in 5-10 years in the Western Pacific.

Probably a lot of saber-rattling and not much else, since large surface fleets are only useful for looking cool and lording it over second-rate powers that can't afford to splurge on a blue water navy.

Edit: it's an interesting aside that, while the PLAN is upscaling considerably, they haven't invested in carriers to the degree that the U.S. has which would seem to indicate they're less interested in force projection outside their own region. I guess makes sense since "their region" is most of Asia and a decent hunk of Europe, whereas the U.S. has two giant oceans between it and most of its strategic concerns.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 29, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

kazmeyer posted:

Democrats now: "WHAT A loving LANDSLIDE"
DNC in January: "Hey jack we barely won you can't expect us to do things like help people"

What do you mean in January? This disingenuous double framing started before the election was even called.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The difference between Bitcoin and other speculative assets is that a bunch of weird nerds with too much disposable income are obsessed with it, so where other scams eventually run dry the dogmatic nature of Bitcoin offers a bottomless well of marks.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I mean, I guess? In that sense that money-savvy amoral shitbags eventually ruin everyone's life.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Why do so many people desperately need bitcoin to be more than the boring rear end speculative financial asset it so obviously is?

It is what it is because that is what people think it is, it's just another Ork brained tumor on the carapace of late capitalism

Because, as the weird rants posted above aptly illustrate, Bitcoin is a feast for the brain worms that infest narcissists and libertarians. It must succeed because it affirms all their bedrock convictions and conceits. They elevate it to speculative gold by sheer force of will and continue to prop it up because any loss of value maligns their world view.

Bitcoin cannot fail, it can only be failed.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This is the most weaselly "oh no, I only voted because they agreed not to do more of this stimulus."

But whatever. Give people more money, you fuckers.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Thoguh posted:

The sign outside my local McDonald's says they hire at $13/hour. Target starts at $15. I dunno how any place requiring skilled labor thinks they can get away with bit even matching McDonald's.

It's a bargaining position. He expects people to ask for more but thinks he can talk them down. And he's probably more right than you might think. A lot of people don't have a good grasp on the value of their labor.

I bet he's also the kind of guy who bemoans about good help being hard to find.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Watching every retailer on earth face-plant right as Amazon came in was a real trip.

Like Barnes and Noble. You sell books, motherfuckers! They are the easiest thing in the world to ship and sell online, how can you gently caress it up this bad!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

kitten emergency posted:

https://twitter.com/Gritty20202/status/1345435526069944322

i love that every now and then cnbc just decides to piss everyone off

This one comes up pretty often, the original article is here: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/20/budget-breakdown-of-a-25-year-old-who-makes-100000-dollars-a-year.html

He makes the money tutoring terrified Cambridge students and keeps his expenses low by living with four roommates. Obviously not the standard post-grad experience for many young folks, but it seems like he found a solid hustle and is milking it for all its worth. Uni students are already used to paying insane premiums for resources so what's another three or four grand for some test-prep?

Edit: he was still a Princeton grad, though so I'm sure he had a big enough leg up from his family that actual failure was never really in the cards.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Not saying it ain’t bad, just not as bad as those articles tend to be. Grade on a curve so you know who to be angriest at first.