Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dear housing bubble, my wife wants to buy a place next spring so please pop by next May TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
How long until I can stop paying my student and car loan and not get in trouble for it?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rex-Goliath posted:

car loan: whenever you want

Yay

Rex-Goliath posted:

student loan: lol

Nuts

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/889505466094637056

Com'on housing market. Hold just a little longer until I can sell.

Ignore this guy, pop now so I can buy cheap next spring.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
There's an article on CNN's front page that Twitter did not add any new users globally in June, and that they're losing users in the US. Oh and also their stock dropped 10% in pre-market trading today.

Apropos of nothing, a bubble is just a hollow orb :orb:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Whoops

quote:

(CNN) - An Ohio factory owner said Saturday that though she has blue-collar jobs available at her company, she struggles to fill positions because so many candidates fail drug tests.

Regina Mitchell, a co-owner of Warren Fabricating & Machining in Hubbard, Ohio, told The New York Times this week that four out of 10 applicants otherwise qualified to be welders, machinists and crane operators will fail a routine drug test.

In an interview Saturday with CNN's Michael Smerconish, Mitchell said that her requirements for prospective workers were simple.

"I need employees who are engaged in their work while here, of sound mind and doing the best possible job that they can, keeping their fellow co-workers safe at all times," she said.

"We have a 150-ton crane in our machine shop. And we're moving 300,000 pounds of steel around in that building on a regular basis. So I cannot take the chance to have anyone impaired running that crane, or working 40 feet in the air."

President Donald Trump addressed his blue-collar base in Ohio this week, returning to his campaign theme of getting local communities back to work and returning jobs to America from overseas.

But Mitchell said she has jobs. She just doesn't have sober applicants.

For 48 of the 50 years her company has been around, drug abuse had never been an issue, she told Smerconish.

"It hasn't been until the last two years that we needed to have a policy, a corporate policy in place, that protects us from employees coming into work impaired," she said.

Opioid use is on the rise across the country, but especially in Ohio. In 2014, the state had the second-largest number of opioid-related deaths in the United States and the fifth-highest rate of overdose.

"This opioid epidemic that we're experiencing ... it seems like it's worse than in other places all over the country," Mitchell said.

Ohio's new law on medical marijuana, which went into effect in 2016 and allows those with a qualifying condition and a recommendation from a physician to buy the drug legally, was another hurdle for employers to overcome, she said.

"The difficult part about marijuana is, we don't have an affordable test that tells me if they smoked it over the weekend or smoked it in the morning before they came to work. And I just can't take the chance of having an impaired worker running a crane carrying a 300,000-pound steel encasement," she said.

For now, she said, there are almost 12,000 open skilled labor jobs in Mahoning County.

"There are good-paying jobs and the opportunity for people in our area. We just can't find people to show up who can pass a drug test," she said.

I mean weed needs to stop being such a deal-breaker for employers but lol at opiods screwing over addicts even more.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
X-post from the TRUMP thread-

This is extortion, right?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Where's the thread where I can read people's hot takes on Bitcoin splitting up or whatever happened?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i hope they destroy the bay area

I would feel bad for my brother who moved there almost exactly two years ago and no one in my family has visited him out there because the rest of us are all east of the Mississippi.

Also if the nukes drop can I stop my car and student loan payments?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Trash Trick posted:

this poo poo + growing up during the ~great recession~ is why I save like a mad man. it is unfathomable to me, not saving at least 30% of every check.

I want to get here but I currently need to work a second job just to have money left over to make progress on my debts (i.e. paying more than the minimums), and that's with an OK white-collar job that affords me the time to work said side hustle.

My wife however, bless her heart, got a new job with a big raise and no increased cost of living so she's been putting aside a bunch of her paycheck each month. But we're likely going to smoke that on a down payment for a house next year and goodbye saving money after that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Lawman 0 posted:

Here's my wonky solution.
Pay people more

Nah

quote:

Very few Americans have enjoyed steadily rising pay beyond inflation over the last couple of decades, a shift from prior years in which the working and middle classes enjoyed broad-based wage gains as the economy expanded.

Why it matters: Now, executives of big U.S. companies suggest that the days of most people getting a pay raise are over, and that they also plan to reduce their work forces further.

Quick take: This was rare, candid and bracing talk from executives atop corporate America, made at a conference Thursday at the Dallas Fed. The message is that Americans should stop waiting for across-the-board pay hikes coinciding with higher corporate profit; to cash in, workers will need to shift to higher-skilled jobs that command more income.

Troy Taylor, CEO of the Coke franchise for Florida, said he is currently adding employees with the idea of later reducing the staff over time "as we invest in automation." Those being hired: technically-skilled people. "It's highly technical just being a driver," he said.

The moderator asked the panel whether there would be broad-based wage gains again. "It's just not going to happen," Taylor said. The gains would go mostly to technically-skilled employees, he said. As for a general raise? "Absolutely not in my business," he said.
John Stephens, chief financial officer at AT&T, said 20% of the company's employees are call-center workers. He said he doesn't need that many. In addition, he added, "I don't need that many guys to install coaxial cables."
Because of the changes coming, AT&T is pushing employees to take nano-degree programs to prepare them for other jobs — either at AT&T or elsewhere.

At least they're honest about it. Also :thermidor:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I know we've moved on but loving lol at the girl living on $25/h while her parents pay all of her living expenses. Yes it's just clickbait or a parody or whatever but come on man.

Teal posted:

If you wanted to objectively do the best for the biological health of the human species you'd start encouraging massive interracial intermingling and mixing (which is one of the worst nightmares of these people).

It'd also coincidentally probably be the best for the social health as well.

Already on it my dude

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What does the student loan bubble popping look like? Lots of destroyed credit scores and nobody being able to secure a student loan anymore, or is it more detailed than that?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My Chemistry Master's was paid for by my school, and all I had to do was work 60+ hours/week for three years while living on $20k/year.

So far it's started me at an extra $1/hour at my last job and been one of my selling points for getting my current job, which I'm fairly certain could be completed by someone with a GED who maybe did well at AP Chemistry.

Owned.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Epic High Five posted:

when I told them that half my kitchen staff quit because another restaurant across the street offered to pay them another dollar an hour they said it was probably a morale issue lmao

I mean you could frame lovely pay as a morale issue, but to do so when you're the one writing the checks is disingenuous at best.

I don't like my job because it's dreadfully boring, has no career advancement in sight, and my boss is a MAGA-chud and borderline crook, but if I walked in on Monday and they gave me a 10% raise I would immediately stop all of my current job searching efforts. Money can't buy happiness but it can sure as poo poo buy a little peace of mind.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Taintrunner posted:

why even try to work at this point. you’re just wasting your loving time

lmao if you "try" at work. If you stitch together all of the time I've been busy at work in July you have maybe two whole 8-hour days, and my boss is none the wiser because he's in charge of three other groups and is stretched way too thin to actually pay attention to mine.

Plus they gave me a new workstation at the start of the year that doesn't allow external media to be plugged in and they block all access to Dropbox and the like so that took out like half of the ways I could entertain myself on slow days (which are the majority of my days)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Isn't this dude the one who was heavily implied to have actively sought Russian intelligence in recent Mueller documents?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

crazy cloud posted:

About 8 months, in the northern hemisphere, give or take

I appreciate this post.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Another thread on SA taught me the phrase "if it floats, flies, or fucks, rent it by the hour" and I hope to have enough money to put it to use one day.

Also gently caress you Betsy DeVos.

E: Serves you right for docking in Ohio

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 26, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
We got some rutabaga in our produce box a couple months ago and it was drat good. Also got the biggest sweet potato I've ever seen.

I did a camping weekend with some friends in the UP a few years back and drove up the western side of Lake Michigan to get there, the UP is very pretty but there's not a lot going on.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This is pretty doomsday right?

https://twitter.com/EPN473/status/1022692238176870400

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

david cameron decided to bet destroying the country economically and fracture of the UK to make some insane MPs in his party happy and probably didn't think he'd win an outright majority so could abandon doing it

As we've learned in the UK and in America in the last few years, don't loving put someone or something up for vote if you aren't prepared for it to win.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Willie Tomg posted:

1 in 8 divorces is caused by student loans

--Outstanding student loan debt now stands at a record $1.5 trillion.

--For couples just starting out, that burden is having an impact on their lifestyle and ability to buy a home or have children.

Well thank gently caress mine will be paid off next year if I have any sort of luck.

I'm in my sister's wedding next month and her fiance invited me to his bachelor party, which came with an $800 price tag for airfare and festivities :shepface: I was actually supposed to leave for the party this week but I bailed as soon as I saw the full cost. Sorry I'm broke!

E: my bachelor party was my best man and brother both coming to my place while we walked around the city and drank, while that same weekend my now-wife flew to her maid of honor's place to do the same.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 27, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tars Tarkas posted:

My favorite credit story was right before the crash in 08 I was a grad student making 20K and was working at a Starbucks for extra money and got a credit card at a jewelry store just to get 10% off wedding bands for me and my wife (which I paid off and cancelled immediately) and they offered me a $90,000 line of credit

$90k good lord.
If you put 1/10 of that in front of me and said that I had to spend it on physical goods instead of paying off debt or saving it, I would have no idea what to do with it. 90k seems a little excessive.

Also this is the part where I thank my lucky stars that my wife doesn't give a drat about jewelry other than cheap earrings.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
"shareholder wealth" lol. You gotta sell that poo poo for any actual money my dudes.

i say swears online posted:

no-crust kids were loving awful

Finally, a good post in this subforum.

WrightOfWay posted:

Crust is fine but I refuse to eat the heels.

I made a grilled cheese last night with one of the heel pieces, don't knock it until you've tried it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

lol if capitalism was what we needed all along to label white gunmen as terrorists

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Raskolnikov38 posted:

when your economy is good and strong:

Can confirm that first paragraph or so. When I was hired at my current job I was told that Master's degree made my candidacy really strong, but after working here for three years I can confirm that you could do my job with just a GED. Just don't tell my boss that!

Tubgoat posted:

Today, I found ~$900 of counterfeit Magic cards and a box of spaghetti. The spaghetti was a little water-damaged but smells fine and tastes just fine. This is my economic doomsday story, thanks for listening.

$900 worth as in "I spent $900 on fake cards" or "these fake cards would be worth $900 if they were real"?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
lol I'm booking a flight home for my sister's wedding next month and American's Basic Economy program is now basically just Spirit Airlines. I haven't flown since April, is every airline doing this now?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ytlaya posted:

As an unrelated airline thing, I recently flew to Denver for work, and it's hilarious how much airlines try to nickel and dime you now. When I was checking in at the kiosk, it gave me the option of upgrading to priority boarding for 31 dollars. Literally all this would accomplish is letting me board the plane sooner. They've also started charging more for a variety of seats outside of business class, sometimes because of them having extra foot room and sometimes just because "these seats are more highly desired" (despite being identical in terms of space, etc).

One flight also ran out of space in the overhead compartments, so they started forcing people to check their carry-on luggage. This wouldn't normally be a big deal, but this poor guy who was being asked to check-in the bag with his PS4 was told that it would be "at his own risk." What kind of bullshit is that? They tell you that you're allotted two carry-ons; one for the over-head compartment and one fitting under the seat. It's bullshit that they can suddenly force you to check it in and leave you responsible for any problems that occur in transit (unless you pay extra to insure it, of course).

Yeah they upsell everything now, and lol at paying more money to spend more time sitting on the plane as it's on the tarmac. I assume that the move to "one carry-on item that fits under the seat in front of you only" is people moving away from checked bags whenever possible, so the airline makes you pay more to get your standard carry-on + personal item.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

MeatwadIsGod posted:

American CEOs are paid a king's ransom because of their intelligence, ambition, and business acumen...but CEOs can give themselves massive raises? :thunk:

I had hoped that the Trump presidency would dispel with the myth of "more money = smarter than" but we're a long way from that.

Speaking from personal experience my current CEO only really knows how to spend money in flashy ways, and doesn't know poo poo about the actual industry that we're in.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
A couple of my co-workers 10-15 years older than me were talking over lunch about how they had so much longer to work until retirement :lol: I got up and left without saying a word.

Tanks But No Tanks posted:

it was Northern in DeKalb, so both of these

As a former Dekalb resident, I don't think anyone would notice if it was swallowed up by an earthquake.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

got any sevens posted:

lol at people thinking retirement wont just be an irl version of blade runner

A few years ago when she was in grad school my wife talked about wanting to retire (or at least not having to work anymore and just generating passive income) by 40. It's taken her about a year outside of academia and in the corporate world to get her on the doomsday economics track.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dawncloack posted:

What.... what? Like.... what was her reasoning/assumptions?

Landing a high-paying job after her postdoc, starting some small business that makes money without her needing to do a lot of work after a certain point, and having the tenacity to actually pursue and hold on to both of those goals.

To her credit she makes a good 35% more than I do for her base salary, but the business part is a work in progress (not for lack of trying!)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yes having a paid off house and millions of dollars saved up to be able to afford to stop working at middle age and not have to choose between eating and cancer treatment for the last decade or two of your life is in fact completely unattainable for almost everyone

P much

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I just want someone to break me off 10 Gs so I can stop having debt that I accrued so I could tread water in society.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Crowsbeak posted:

until three months ago I had no cardss, credit score? 0. I have one card that I use twice a month on Amazon, pay it off weekly, now I have a score of 775.

This is kind of my scheme too. Have had this one card for a long time, owed a bunch of money on it until a few years ago, now I use it only for my one >$100 purchase each month and pay it immediately. My credit score is pushing 800 :lol:

I assume things like auto and student loans count towards that score as well? I'm saddled with those for a few more years assuming I don't take out any more but I've at least been rock-solid about hitting the minimum each month.

Shear Modulus posted:

if you really want to gaze into the abyss of people trying to minmax their credit score bullshit the term that people use for the "i want a loan so please ding my credit score" is "hard pull" and the term for the other one is "soft pull". and you can find people obsessing over having Too Many Hard Pulls because that will make their credit score go down.

There's a really obvious masturbation joke using the term "too many hard pulls" but I'm too tired to think of it right now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shear Modulus posted:

Unfortunately the government killed the program where you could buy dollar coins in bulk at cost because of that. They were selling them at cost to try and get people to circulate them, but americans hate dollar coins so nobody was buying them to actually give them out as change. instead people were just getting thousands of dollars worth of coins shipped to their house then immediately depositing them at their bank, and the bank would immediately deposit them back with the fed because dollar coins are useless for a bank. so the government was spending tons of money (and burning fossil fuels) shipping heavy coins to people to facilitate a scheme where a small percentage of the credit card fees that the government was also eating went back to the customer. it was late capitalism as hell.

I loving loved the golden dollar coins they were trying to push around 2000 or whatever and I'm legit sad that they never caught on. I still have a few in my coin tray at home.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Didn't we have an actual climate change thread at one point, or did I imagine that?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Genderfluent posted:

In moviepass news, Helios and Matheson has lost 99.9% of it's value since February, and is currently trading at 14 cents a share, from a high of nearly $2500 lol

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4192962-lessons-99_9-percent-drop-moviepass

Is Moviepass just opt-in socialism? Discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
No one talking about how Apple hit a $1T valuation today, or is that less meaningful/doomsdayish than it sounds?