Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

I worked at the library so I just gave myself indefinite loans on books, laptops, cameras etc. I was corrupt as gently caress

Hell yeah, gently caress low-income students that rely on those resources. :hai:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pancakes posted:

Dirt Candy in New York is a great place to eat that also doesn't allow tipping, just ups the prices and passes the increased revenue on to employees' wages. Plus, female- (and Canadian) owned and vegetarian.

at $18 an omelette I'd hope so

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

rudatron posted:

gotta say, china has consistently shown the capability to be prudent when it comes to regulations and action and such - the statement by the heat of the state bank is basically on the money, and the rest of the government is actually following suit

it's a marked difference from the US, where a report from an expert panel is immediately ignored, because it doesn't serve the narrow self interest of like 5 people responsible for it, or where nothing gets done, because spiting their political opponents is the #1 motivator of the party in power (GOP)

i see you have never read up on china's shadowbanking system

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

poopinmymouth posted:

Not necessarily. We didn't set off with a plan of "pay off in 5 years" just "let's try to pay extra and get rid of the mortgage ASAP". I've helped friends do the calculations on their mortgages, and even paying an extra 50 dollars a month can shave years off the end of the loan and save significant amounts of interest depending on the interest rates.

Recommending people just "be rich" is indeed a silly suggestion, but suggesting people prioritize mortgage repayment over whatever other slow bleeds most households have, or even just changing from putting in a savings account to putting on a mortgage, can make a big difference because of compound interest.

We are paid well, but we set out to buy a house for our family to live in, not as an investment. It was only after living in it that we realized we could renovate the garage and rent it out, which demonstrated the value of the rental model and encouraged us to add a 2nd apartment (which we could do using equity on our first house because we got the mortgage out of the way).

I'm not trying to suggest everyone can repeat this formula, it's not a panacea, but small societal nudges to focus on long term financial health rather than pushing people to consume on garbage with an nickel-and-dime model, would make a difference in personal debt and can move the individual idea of "buy or rent?" into a clearer answer one way or the other.

If I could wave a wand, I'd do away with the concept of "housing as financial vehicles" and mandate everyone have a gay space commune apartment with free utilities. I think the current system is hosed. But there are ways some groups could navigate the system more intelligently in the interim, and those with the wealth to buy "a house" and are debating "should I buy or should I rent?" could think more about the concept of extra payments and trying to pay off a mortgage early when doing those calculations.

:thermidor: for the landed gentry

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
lmao having to justify being a multiple house landlord in a country like Iceland

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dmitri-9 posted:

If anyone is too young to remember, this is exactly what caused the collapse of the housing market in 2007. People stopped traveling and highly leveraged vacation homes and development tracts in the middle of nowhere were the first domino to fall. As an added bonus the volatility of fuel prices made it impossible for businesses to estimate their costs.

so what new things happen in part 2 to make it more fun

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
oops

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
hoo he he he hoo!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

the bitcoin of weed posted:

lmao if you have a job where you sit in a chair and you bother actually ever doing any more work than the minimum required to appear busy

word :rznv:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
the only real raise ive gotten here besides the 2% COL every year was because of a company wide “market rate increase” because i think they realized everyone was super underpaid for the bay area

so hell yeah im busy, busy shitpostin :rznv:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i can be a marxist day trader?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/1031818023953420288

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

god drat it that's the closest hardware store to me

“i have to drive a little bit further from my Stanford subsidized housing :qq:

lmbo gimme a break

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
obabbos technocrats are gonna gently caress us all

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
my company did the same thing after a bunch of employees houses burned down in the fires in california lmao :ca:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
wait, did the british really vote themselves out of the NHS? how does that even happen

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

his coworker works in the bay area and hp hovercraft is a code monkey, I'm pretty sure his coworker can afford to find a job in santa jose or whatever

lmao he literally lives in stanford hospital subsidized apartments.

people are still surviving in the bay, just have to live in places like richmond or whatever.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Goon Danton posted:

How loving hard is it to not feed cows to your cows

recycling is green right

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i weep for the six figgie techlords

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/crypto/status/1067843725970288640?s=20

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/economics/status/1067843664548954112?s=20

:shrug:

FUNdaMENTALs!!!!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BloombergCA/status/1068121166068502529

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/markets/status/1068624447656157186?s=20

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
oops

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
isn’t the way the EU is structured economically built to benefit Germany at the expense of Southern European economies?

i dunno the class I took on it said that, but then again it was taught by an Italian professor

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Often Abbreviated posted:

Yes. The EU browbeats everyone via currency controls into focusing on exports then uses the currency/subsidies/pre-existing economic factors to ensure that only German industrial outputs are competitive. Everyone else becomes a low-value resource producing colony state for absorbing higher-value German goods. This gives Germany essentially infinite money for social services etc to keep their populace happy and still run a budget surplus, but comes at the expense of steadily burning down the rest of the continent.

It's an empire, and a real lovely one at that.

wait if this is the case then why is merkel losing & fash right wing folks are gaining numbers in the government?

im gonna guess its the syrian refugees

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the missing money is just part of the constant information warfare and black tech they don't want to expose (like the military shuttle or the helicopters that flew the bin laden kill team)

billion litoral combat ships that "rust when in seawater"? yeah that money is going elsewhere and the ships are obviously nonfunctional to confuse enemies

billions per F35? you think they are actually that expensive? and they catch fire in the rain? lmao

my bet is a lot of the "lost" money is going into VC money for military adjacent business, like all the digital stuff that is barely concealed panopticon enabling (cmon why do you think twitter or uber can stay afloat so long losing money)

its all just grift my dude

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/economics/status/1069928595613659136

lol krugman

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
can you feel it?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
lmao tranche!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Yadoppsi posted:

It hasn't hit the national news yet but the owner of LG died and his son inherited the CEO posistion. Said son has decided fuel cell technology isn't profitable enough and laid off every LG Fuel Cell division employee in Ohio off. Hundreds of people left jobless 2 weeks til Xmas.

This was after the college whose campus hosts their offices/labs/workshop gave them $1.5 mil and the Ohio state gov $18 mil.

dang, ohio's having a tough week.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Yadoppsi posted:

I've family in Youngstown, trust me I could talk too much about the Lordstown plant closure.

:justpost:

i want to know more

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/crypto/status/1073184472881876993

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
does my student loan interest do anything for me

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/WLWT/status/1073365088508235776?s=20

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/crypto/status/1073565485483155457?s=20

:shuckyes:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/crypto/status/1073567567002910720

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zeroisanumber posted:

If you're going to do this do not tweet about it.

yeah can’t this be used to revoke benefits in some poo poo hole states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rex-Goliath posted:

also keep in mind that later QE rounds involved buying up junk european real estate and putting it on the fed balance sheets. it's kind of a weird secret round of the marshall plan

wtf, why

Rex-Goliath posted:

also i don't remember if i posted this specifically itt but if you want a honed insight into the tech industry and how it's affecting us now check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCvwCcEP74Q

i highly recommend subscribing to l2inc's channel he's been pissed and calling for facebook to be busted for like a year now