Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Bernie Panders posted:

gently caress small business tyrants but i feel sad for owners of little restaurants and poo poo

don't, i live and work in food service in a city with a ton of locally owned restaurants and it's so bad that we even have a dedicated twitter to post about how loving lovely all of these owners are

also the owner of the bakery i work for told us we were coming back or they'd report us to the state and gave us less than 24 hours to decide if we wanted to come back or be poor; this seems to be the rule rather than the exception

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

i think everyone posting in this thread agrees that decriminalizing prostitution is a positive thing to do

there is no regulatory environment imaginable which will remove rape and exploitation from the prostitution equation

that Chris Hedges interview with Rachel Moran who wrote "Paid For: My Journey Through Prostitution” touches on what happens when prostitution is legal and regulated

you can argue that changing the culture around the shame associated with sex and what not is a vital component of the sex work legitimacy movement but that feels less realistic than dismantling capitalism imo

otoh we already had one sexual revolution and zero workers revolutions in the past 50 years so if i have to bet one one happening,

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Pick posted:

the "sexual revolution" (there have been a number of periods where this term is thought to apply, including post-HIV) has a complicated legacy

that is fair, but i also feel like destigmatization of sex work is something (relatively) simpler to work for than the end of capitalism and equating the two just feels like typical leftist “well middle america will never go for it”, throwing up hands, and going back to fantasizing about what they’ll be doing in the vanguard after the revolution

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

Microorganisms give good yield at low cost for most proteins in biotech and proteins of medical interest more often requires post-translational modifications on proteins which plants can't produce. For those proteins suitable for plant production there are frequently other plants with higher yield per acre. The basics are still sound though.

they have the infrastructure in place and tobacco has been dying for good pr since the 70s

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

I can see the through line in this argument for sure since we've all seen attitudes around sex change so much in our lifetimes and things were already radically different 30 years ago than they were 50 years ago but unlike homosexuality or other forms of sexual expression which are independent of the economy, I don't think you are ever going to get to a place where most parents will accept that their kids will be prostitutes. I am sure many people said this about homosexuality but prostitution and things like homosexuality are categorically different.

well it’s like that famous quote, it’s easier to imagine the end of my parents not supporting my onlyfans than the end of capitalism

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

communism could get rid of janitors if that was what was best.

it’s not that hard.

just make office workers clean up after themselves

food service people already do this

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

trade war trade war TRADE WAR TRADE WAR

fuckin bring it let's watch this fucker burn

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

BeefThief posted:

why should any of these big companies bother providing a product or service at all if the government is going to give them trillions of dollars for nothing

can i underbid boeing on doing loving nothing?

20 year contract for 1.4 million, i promise you i will produce exactly the same amount of plane sales that boeing did last quarter and i'll even personally call the president to tell him that we're working on a jet that can transform into optimus prime

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dolphin posted:

i just thought about how the national debt used to be something people worried about and i laughed

oh poo poo it's gonna happen again

hahaha

the national debt is only an issue when we drive it up for things that don’t produce value, like healthcare or services, but is fine when we use it as a bank loan for thriving companies like boeing or cruiselines

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

oxsnard posted:

Aldi prices haven't changed, but less specials on meat. Walmart is up quite a bit and HEB is up maybe 10% across the board with big moves up in meat prices. The Indian grocery has more expensive produce but packaged goods unchanged

yeah i noticed lidl stopped offering dumb sales on chicken thighs which is good because dummies were buying it up en masse and those'll cowards don't even like dark meat

i typically buy pork shoulder and bone in skin on chicken thighs neither of which is an especially popular cut of meat amongst the laity at the regular degular grocery stores i go to; in total i spend about $30 for what amounts to 10 pounds of meat pre cooking

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

also im sure this has already been posted itt but im gonna post it again because lol

https://twitter.com/business/status/1239387671790747649

:chaostrump:

and retailers thought they would see an 8% drop in sales mnuchin but that’s not what happened now is it bud

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

investment bankers are too rich to be talking about time to die

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rutibex posted:

what if all the people who cant pay rent make a gang. then this gang can go to anyones house who is being evicted and make them not evicted any more. no need for rent!

anti-landlord aktion

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

haha gently caress off i'll just buy a cashier's check at kroger you fool

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i for one think it's very cool that every two weeks every american household will be asked to do a mini brewster's millions

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

oxsnard posted:

I didn't know he was a sex pest (of course he is I guess). He's just like if a regular douche lucked his way into being a billionaire. Most of them are blood drinking ghouls instead of bad people will too much money and an inflated ego

his sporting team the dallas mavericks were under investigation for an organization wide sexual harassment problem

for people who don’t follow sports i can get how it’d be overlooked because everyone involved has since tried to sweep it under the rug

poty posted:

https://twitter.com/marynmck/status/1262374710425378817

haha can you imagine being this much of a nerd arguing about this instead of closing your eyes and putting all your money into carnival cruises stock (up 10%)

thank you nyt very cool

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

B B posted:

it's an "attendance strongly suggested" situation

yes, that's the assumption. i am a computer toucher at a millenial-heavy tech company full of succ. lots of harry potter fans.

run into your door really fast to give yourself a concussion

or lie and say you did if you're good at lying

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

the restaurant where I work at is opening back up and I don't think I have a choice about going back unless I want to completely bottom out all my savings and then start all over again at somewhere else that's quite likely going to be a lot worse than the close-knit family place I work at. gonna own getting covid then watching them go under when we get the second wave of shutdowns.

gigantic same

the worst part is that the restaurant i work at specializes in dessert so it’s even more loving pointless to open er up

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The Alpha Centauri posted:

so should i buy a bunch of property?

is my mortgage lender going to go bust?

poor people are not allowed to come out ahead in a recession

if you’re already rich go ahead

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

I couldn't decide if it was that, using his 401k for the down payment, or paying $3500 a month on 450k that was the biggest fuckup.

what is that, a 15 year mortgage? at the height of the housing bubble? whew lads

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Torpor posted:

so that Silicon Valley episode was right? which came first?

the episode of silicon valley, although rather than a specific pizza or even food issue but general capitalist/valley “let’s buoy our revenue while taking a loss and hope that nobody knows what arbitrage is” economic sleights of hand

this is just one of those happy coincidences

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Pick posted:

Imagine, for a moment, someone who works at a background check company, and whether they are really really really committed to the job, and give a gently caress

it’s mostly robots doing the hard work of throwing your resume in the trash because you didn’t figure out their boolean logic puzzle and rewrite your resume for each and every job posting, but if you make it through then you get to interview with a brainwashed stooge who wants to know why you love this corporation, like the world’s neediest boyfriend, and they’re not gonna check your references and they’re especially not gonna hire someone to do it unless it’s a huge corporation that’s got one in house

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

vetting is a spook

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

btw i’ve worked in food service for years and the interview process for that is “please don’t openly do drugs in the interview this industry is a meat grinder the fact that you showed up for the interview is amazing please work for us”

one time i interviewed a lady who showed up for the interview in a crop top and leopard coat and she stole the salt shaker from the table while we were interviewing; she still got the job

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i've done hiring and applied for jobs both in the last calendar year and anyone who tells you that the hiring side is "equally as bad" or even anywhere near as difficult is loving lyyyyyyying or hasn't applied for a job recently enough to remember how much succ there is in the process

dead gay comedy forums posted:

if there is a Lenin amongst Americans now it is their time to start shining

no lenins only gorbachevs

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Spime Wrangler posted:

god what a terrible loving program

you don't have to make people actually work for them to be on payroll you piece of poo poo! just give them the money!

the whole point is for them to bring people back too early in order to save the economy and more importantly to run out the clock on cares benefits so these uppity poors don’t get used to having nice things

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

it’s more technocrat garbage that puts the onus of a livable wage on employees for picking the wrong career and then provides them $4000 (won’t even buy you a semester at an in state public 4 year college) to bootstrap themselves up into coding or whatever

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

the other thing worth mentioning about that tax credit: most states don’t allow you to seek vocational training or education while on unemployment, so you’d either have to get approval in advance (unlikely, given how most employment commissions are loving buried with all the new claims currently being processed) or you’d have to give up your cares benefits while you went back to school

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

dads friend steve posted:

im trying real hard to imagine a possible fig leaf lib justification for this. “they’re students now - go take out loans” ???

it’s entirely possible that amy klobuchar just doesn’t loving understand how “entitlements” work

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

etalian posted:

Bernie get $600 benefit each week and causing small business owner meltdowns was his only good deed in 2020.

Hilarious to see how business owners are outraged they can't force people to return to work.

they actually are forcing people back to work by threatening to report them to the state employment commissions (which is okay because PPP requires them to do so!)

it is very cool and good that small businesses are a fiefdom imo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

they passed cares to get something out there, then they passed ppp after all the restaurant workers lost their jobs, and restaurant owners are using it as a cudgel to force unruly employees to come back to work for less money in the middle of a pandemic

it is very cool imo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

bernie's 600 bucks is probably the only thing holding american capitalism together atm, gonna be real Cool when the republicans get rid of it

honestly my work told me they're delaying opening by 9 days and that's another 2 unemployment checks i can cash and the amount of euphoria i feel is frankly depressing

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Crunchy Black posted:

Georgia will never shut down fully again without Federal Enforcement which, lol.

Source: I'm a resident of this stupid loving state

virginia shutting down again (which is inevitable if they ever stop cooking their books which they will so they can paint the protests in a bad light) will be super cool since it’ll make the president mad AND i won’t die in a bakery

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

oxsnard posted:

so uhh, I spoke to a HF analyst I know who works for one of the very big funds. They think still employed Americans are deferring payments to things like mortgages to buy stocks to the tune of billions of dollars per week

lol. lmao

true patriots

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

it’s pretty fuckin dense but the core of it from what i’ve read so far is that everything the fed does to stimulate the economy is actually weakening the dollar and allowing the ccp to slowly accumulate assets to leverage against the us economy in hopes of destroying western democracy and bankrupting us, and by continuing to mortgage the future in the name of Line Go Up, we’re actually digging our own graves in terms of the global economy

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

bawfuls posted:

I lauged at this when everyone else did as well. So lets check in on that log projection. Looks like that chart projected total travelers in late June would be around 640,000.
STONK guy was right all along??

edit:

:spooky:

disco record sales up 400%

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

90s Solo Cup posted:

As I understand it, the relentless upward march of NUMBER is gonna lead us to a gloriously Chinese future where the RMB eventually becomes the world's preferred reserve currency while the USD turns into Zimbabwe Bucks? What's that gonna do for the average poor bastard on the ground?

i’m not that well versed in economics but i don’t think it starts getting bad for citizens buying domestically until we reach weimar levels of brrrrr

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Stereotype posted:

lol 1.35 million more unemployed, which by the way is still a pre-covid record, but also the BLS also admitted they were counting people who were in industries that were entirely closed, like movie theaters or concert arenas, as "employed" because even though they weren't getting paid and there is no timeline for when they might actually work again they still technically had a job. The survey was also conducted the week of June 10th when things were the most "open." Next month is going to be a shock.

i work for a specialty bakery (i won’t give away much more than that because with other posts i’ve made someone could probably figure out where i work, suffices to say we are definitely not necessary and serve luxuries)

business is loving booming (gross earning is a little down from the pandemic but so is overhead since we’ve cut 90% of front of house staff and in terms of amount of items we’re moving we’re actually busier) and people are buying mass quantities of stuff with maybe a weeklong shelf life; average customer receipt is somewhere around $40 which is insaaaaaane (used to be half that)

anyways all this is to say that people are operating in a weird bubble where they know SOMETHING is coming but don’t have the means or knowledge to quantify it, snd they have no way of coping beyond nihilistic consumption; the industries that are opening back up to capitalize on this are gonna get totally crushed between a second wave and a huge economic downturn

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i am harry posted:

So you're saying lowtax is spending the last of his money on bulk goldbelly purchases?

probably not since he doesn’t have a job anymore lmao but basically yeah the average american is lowtax minus the crippling oxy addiction although statistically speaking if you’re in the northeast you probably have that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

thalweg posted:

People with money are definitely still spending with abandon. A friend of mine works for a major hot tub manufacturer, and said they can't keep up with demand right now and it's never been this busy. Meanwhile I've lost weight during quarantine because I've had to buy less groceries to save money.

it’s pretty loving insane

my friend works at guitar center and i understand that a little more (people want to be creative while they’re stuck at home) but there are dudes dropping 4k (read: financing) on an electric guitar for funsies right now like money ain’t poo poo