Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Karl Barks posted:

tech bubble is real but i think it's really centered in silicon valley. ie. if the bubble bursts it's mostly going to affect north california

it's mostly startup centers which is like silicon valley and a few other cities but most of those are in places with enough massive tech companies that they could probably absorb the job losses, I don't think all that many people are employed by startups but I don't have any data on this

Microsoft is currently laying off several thousand people but these are mostly overseas sales/marketing people so I think big tech companies will be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the palouse will be one of the most productive agricultural regions on earth after it gets a few degrees warmer up there. grow lots of wheat and nuts

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

every city with a Google office will crater and burn, inshallah

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Former Everything posted:

hey guys a high school friend shared this post on facebook from renowned economic expert timothy clemmons

here's some handy advice for you to survive the upcoming apocolypse:

sounds like the impending economic disaster is due to obummercare destroying all are jobs and are economy and also because trump can't work his magic deals

just some tips and now ive done my job and its not my fault if you dont sink all ur money into gold and bitcoins to survive the disaster

this is just a bot post made by scanning transcripts of talk radio for several days and not a real person, right?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Agean90 posted:

not everyone wants to live in a state that has one kinda nice maybe city and the rest of it is filled with white supremacists.

this disqualifies most of the US

hell if you make your qualifier "between one and five" nice cities then it's all of the US

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Kromlech posted:

The postal service? Are people mailing bit corns now? God I'm old.

people use their bitcoins to buy Chinese PCP, which is shipped via the postal service rather than a private shipper because it's way more difficult, legally, for the USPS to go through your mail

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

zeal posted:

if the tests only gauged whether someone's smoked in the last day, instead of the last 2 weeks+, this would be a whole different conversation

isn't this exactly what mouth swab tests do though

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

they normally don't use those for employment

the piss test is the standard

yeah but like, if employers actually cared to differentiate, they could use a different test
at my current job i did a piss test before i got hired then they do random annual tests with mouth swabs (the owner is a fascist)

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i hope they destroy the bay area

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Over Easy posted:

As long as no robot takes the job of being a rich rear end, the market will correct for any eventuality.

robots currently basically run the stock market so that kind of counts

though I guess that's still technically work and not "sitting around with your rich shithead buddies and cackling at how badly you've hosed the poors", but I'm sure someone's working on a deep learning algo for this

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

self driving vehicles are already more or less functional in very simple traffic and several million people are currently employed as the very truck drivers all these robots are going to replace in the next few decades

the biggest hurdle to that becoming a reality is going to be legal/political but I'm sure our lovely politics won't side with increased profits for capitalists at the expense of everyone else again

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

we haven't even automated away all the train drivers yet, why the gently caress does anyone think we're gonna automate away truck drivers?

because the combined forces of tech and capital really, really, really want to

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

call to action posted:

I don't know about y'all but I got the gently caress out of stocks in my IRA and 401(k) two months or so ago and I'm ready to buy at the bottom

well i guess i have some phone calls to make

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Digiwizzard posted:

What on earth would the point be? The rich only exist in relation to the economy that provides them with structural power. That economy doesen't exist without the enormous populations and resource consumption that allows it to function at this scale. They could spend our last energy resources committing massive genocide, and then live the rest of their days scrambling in an abject poverty on a ruined planet. Hooray?

there's no reason it would need to be a total genocide, the rich were incredibly eager to kill off a few million sick poor people to scrape back their obamacare money. There would still need to be a few people around to buy and produce the commodities that keep our lovely economy afloat and maintain the quality of life of the shrinking class of people that has any wealth left. according to capitalists, those people were just leeches anyway

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

That might actually cause the sun to explode. There's a paper on this and the summary of it is that even though the suns like thousands of degrees most of it is still colder than a nuclear explosion so that's why all the hydrogen isn't immediately used up in the fusion process. However if you were to set off a nuke within the sun that could spark a chain reaction.

the ongoing fusion process in the sun is already a chain reaction. our piddly nuclear arsenal isn't going to make a dent in it

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

this is terrible science. you simply can't get a star hot enough to blow it up with any sort of weapon we can conceive of. material density in stars isn't enough to sustain a reaction in the outer layers without insane temperatures like in a collapsing supernova or a black hole's accretion disk. there are like a million reasons this is impossible but start with this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium_flash

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > C-SPAM: Piss Tape! Piss Tape! > doomsday economics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

call to action posted:

so you're just gonna take my house from me? hmmm... no.

are you a bank? the only entities getting their homes seized are banks sitting on thousands of empty ones

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

quote:

Talking to a car is an imagination in the 1982 American drama Knight Rider X, but now, we can turn it into a fact. With our YOUXIA X motor, you are possible to give order to the car in various sentence structures to display your favorite music, send messages, make a phone call, control the air conditioner, etc. What’s more intelligent is that, it is capable of talking to you initially, for example, in case you forget to turn on the headlights it will remind you. So it is truly a motor able to talk or a friend for you!

i hope the car talks to you in this wildly broken english

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Tiberius Christ posted:

Is there really so little to invest in that companies are buying back their own stock and investing in bitcoin sending the prices skyrocketing?

to be fair a bunch of them are also investing in forming unshakeable monopolies (for the purpose of driving their stocks up)

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

when you discover the algorithm's keywords

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the cyberdystopia is gonna be lit

https://twitter.com/chaosprime/status/925092743554256896

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

this is me

https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/925757055369179136

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

is this the thread for terrible startups

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/925911139417853952

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

normal brain: truckers should be paid more to work fewer hours because their present working conditions are dangerous and unacceptable

dying capitalism brain: https://twitter.com/SFtheWolf/status/926231049423556608

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

youtube content generation algorithms are apparently making creepypasta videos of children's cartoons crying and being tortured

https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/927598276651700224

can't quite figure out if this is the cool or the terrifying body horror part of the cyberfuture

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

ok i watched the first few minutes of the last video embed where the incredible hulk dropkicks a grim reaper and sends it to jail and have decided this actually rules

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/927761530577412096

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/930221534932815874

https://twitter.com/thejournalista/status/930222198337372160

this is a well-run business in a healthy and normal environment

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it's really incredible how bad Musk is at every single aspect of running a business

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

he's actually very good at the most important thing of running a business which is to wring a lot of work out of your employees and pay them far below the value they create

it was very generous of us to create the only economic system he would ever be able to succeed in

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

we have not meaningfully recovered from the recession in any metric and we can't lower interest rates to soften the blow this time since they're still at zero

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I've seen a lot of takes that the modern waves of heroin deaths largely resulted from people addicted to pills suddenly being cut off from a safe and regulated supply when a bunch of the big pill mills got shut down

legalize weed

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

oh no I've seen Occupied, I know where this is going

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

logikv9 posted:

i think the whole point of the buttcoin alternatives is to make custom hardware mining infeasible

not infeasible, just using different math with different hardware optimizations so you couldn't use the same stuff you used on butts for anything else nearly as effectively

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

A shitload of adjuncts are forming unions now because they're tired of being homeless between semesters and getting paid peanuts to do arguably the most important job of a university with no real security
it's too late of course, US universities are hosed for a long time

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

this article about an adjunct unionization drive in florida has a lot of horrifying anecdotes about their living conditions, and also some insanely smug comments from administrators in secure full-time positions with benefits

quote:

Some adjuncts sleep in their cars. One woman talked to the Guardian newspaper about turning to prostitution. In 2013, the story of one adjunct’s lonely death went viral.

Margaret Mary Vojtko, 83, was found unconscious on her front lawn after a cardiac arrest. She had been let go after teaching French at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh for 25 years, making $25,000 in busy years and less than $10,000 when the school reduced her load. She was buried in medical bills for cancer radiation treatment. Her furnace was broken. When she died, she lay in a cardboard casket.

A union representative told the story in a newspaper column. Even as the school’s leader called the account "sadly exploitative" and detailed Duquesne’s efforts to help Vojtko, adjuncts nationwide shared the hashtag #IAmMargaretMary.

quote:

Mare Conklin, who made $22,000 last year teaching English and tutoring, has embraced the union effort "for the people I have known whose lives deteriorated horribly and rapidly because of their adjunct status."

"I see friends with credit cards maxed out, on food stamps," she said. "They are living like homeless people, practically, with professional degrees, working as professionals."

quote:

Tara Blackwell didn’t plan on making adjuncting a career, but "life gets in the way sometimes."

Blackwell’s kidneys failed two years ago. She gets dialysis between online biology classes and said landing a full-time job feels impossible.

quote:

As a symbol of the weary adjunct, Robert Ryan has become larger than life.

He came to USF as a freshman in the early 1970s, a sensitive English major with a quick and charming brilliance. He shunned parties, preferring books. He suffered no fools.

"There was a shield between him and the world," said Benyo, his friend. "I think the world pained him too much to allow many people in."

Eventually Ryan became an adjunct and even more of a recluse. He refused dinner invitations to grade papers. His cluttered apartment became a hoarder’s fortress of student essays, bags of M&Ms, literature anthologies.

"I’m absolutely certain the students under his tutelage never knew what great care or time or patience he took with their work," Benyo said. "Everything he could be critical of to raise their abilities, he did, on hundreds of hundreds of thousands of papers."

Ryan slept on a water bed. When it leaked, he slept on a pile of coats. This was his trademark stubbornness, which translated to his health. Insurance or not, he wasn’t the type to get a check-up, even when his shoulder began to hurt.

Then there was a lump.

Renal cell cancer ate him alive. Tumors grew on his jaw and head. He could grade just two papers before needing to lie down, but he kept trying.

"Bob was an English professor first and foremost, and to give that up would have been an affront to his entire character," Benyo said. "And he needed the money."

His stepsister, Kathryn Ryan, said he couldn’t help but work until the very end.

(...)

He had kept driving to the University of South Florida even as he lost the use of his left arm. He had kept teaching English, even as tumors ravaged his mouth so that he could hardly speak.

He was a military kid, after all, accustomed to duty. But he was also an adjunct professor, making a meager living by patchworking part-time classes, and he needed the money.

He left a note in the windowless cinder block room he shared with two other adjuncts: "Both bookshelves are yours."

As he walked to the parking lot with his best friend, Ryan had to lean on something every few steps, tears rolling down his face.

Since his death in June at age 62, Robert Ryan has become something like a martyr to a group of USF adjuncts battling the administration for the chance to unionize.

Even those who haven’t met him tell the story of a dutiful man worn down by the indignities of this uncertain life, who served USF for 20 years without employer-sponsored health insurance, without job security, making a few thousand dollars per course.

Before he died, Ryan had signed a card endorsing the union effort. Now some adjuncts plan to frame it.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

don't forget the subprime auto market and the fact that every municipality in the country is now really starting to see the ill effects of expanding all their infrastructure out into the suburbs while negating any business tax income that might have let them maintain it

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

An Apple A Gay posted:

dead mall vids on youtube next bubble

they just built another mall where i am, 30 miles outside the actual city

florida dumbasses can't get enough of their lovely malls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

c) collapse of the American Empire, as decay and corruption paralyze the government and cripple our domestic and foreign policy to the point where we become a has-been power like England or the Ottomans

its this one

quote:

a) total fascism, genocide of non-whites, decline into a corporate-run cyberpunk Nazi hellscape. possibly a military coup

and then this one, because being internationally humiliated is the #1 historical predictor of your population going full fascist